• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Preview Thread

Ssseth

Neo Member
Not to interrupt the hype train but I'm assuming there are no BotW previews for Wii U? Does it run in 1080p or 900p like the Switch version? I already have a Wii U so considering getting it for that and getting the Switch when a price drop happens or at least when it's back in stock on a regular basis...

9kDn130.png

https://twitter.com/DanRyckert/status/835237614773014528

http://i.imgur.com/kfyt2Em.png

To be fair, it is Dan.

atr0cious

Then I am wrong. Still have to encounter my first dungeon after playing 10 hours. But I have a feeling that if there are some, the next point in the main quest might feature them.
Didn't the embargo sheet literally spoil this and answer your question?

Not to interrupt the hype train but I'm assuming there are no BotW previews for Wii U? Does it run in 1080p or 900p like the Switch version? I already have a Wii U so considering getting it for that and getting the Switch when a price drop happens or at least when it's back in stock on a regular basis...
I think it was already confirmed that the Wii U version runs at 720p. No way a system less capable than the Switch is running the game at a higher resolution

Hindl

900p on the Switch in the dock, 720p in handheld mode. No previews for Wii U, but it runs at 720p. They're pretty much pushing it out for Wii U owners but won't be marketing it at all

Rodin

720p with post AA (similar to 3D World).

ckaneo

720p

Caelus

Honestly, part of my excitement stems from the fact that this is just such a huge leap from Skyward Sword and the other 3D Zeldas.

I'm used to a lot of environmental, weapon, armor and combat variety in open world games... but to see it all in that Ghibli-esque art style with that Zelda flair, weapons and costumes and shields specific to certain tribes... it's the intricate, fleshed out Zelda fans have been asking for since Ocarina.

During the Q&A at the last nintendo results briefing, miyamoto said that this zelda emboldened various nintendo teams to try to create more unique games. I feel that koizumi and his team will try real hard to make mario odyssey phenomenal too

Ssseth

Neo Member
Thanks all. I guess it makes sense it wouldn't look as good on older hardware, I was hoping it would since it was originally in development for the Wii U only.

What does "post AA" mean? I thought 3D World looked good, well for a Mario game anyway.

900p on the Switch in the dock, 720p in handheld mode. No previews for Wii U, but it runs at 720p. They're pretty much pushing it out for Wii U owners but won't be marketing it at all
720p with post AA (similar to 3D World).

Osahi

Didn't the embargo sheet literally spoil this and answer your question?
Honestly only skipped trough it very quickly, as my publication will only appear way after NDA, and I'd rather go in clear (having read some spoilers in the past on those sheets, I am cautious). Same reason I didn't read previews (also to,not have my opinion muddled)

This is the preview thread, in here we discuss and share what the press was allowed to show.

If you think petting dogs is a spoiler you shouldn't be here to begin with.

Can you at least be considerate and put that shit in a spoiler tag & link tho?
People are generally really good with that in this thread.

Peterc

Yeah this and Horizon in the same week is going to break some of our cards :p

While horizon looks high end gfx with a nice environment I think you rather can't compare it to Zelda. I would place it beside the witcher, dark soul and skyrim. Zelda is just a whole different game. Horizon and mass effect are good games, but it's more of following the story, while zelda is about experience the magic world and playing the story.

Personally looking at all games, Zelda is groundbreaking. It new and fresh with their physics engine, it hasn't been done before, same happened with splatoon and mario galaxy. Thats what I love about nintendo.

But like music, it's not that you only like one song, enjoy both.

There's a lot here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Za1QfYbgyR0

Note the video may get deleted soon because the stuff they show is still under embargo. Next Thursday we'll see more including dungeons etc.

It was already confirmed you can have pets in the game similar to Wolf Link. So yeah, you don't really need the amiibo unless you want a wolf/dog that looks like Wolf Link.

Nothing as far as I'm aware. You'll get placed back to your last (auto) save.
At that point I dont think anyone should even be watching stuff anymore. Some people gone have their games and switch early in the week and then at midnight.

atr0cious

Honestly only skipped trough it very quickly, as my publication will only appear way after NDA, and I'd rather go in clear (having read some spoilers in the past on those sheets, I am cautious). Same reason I didn't read previews (also to,not have my opinion muddled)
Understandable, Andre from gameexplain hasn't read his either, but his guest said the list spoils stuff they didn't even know about. And giant bomb said they went to the first dungeon after 25 hours, so it's probable a YMMV situation as everyone starts from different points and the story is something you have to seek out, but you can just beeline for it according to another preview.

Question about USGamet Preview:

Has this haze been something anybody else has mentioned? Could it be TV settings?

Someone else on here said that the switch refuses use full rgb mode when docked to the tv, even when selected. automatic seems to always pick limited.

His tv is set up to be full rgb so it might be what is causing the washed out look.

spookyfish

In addition to this, I wonder what part the GamePad would have played in the game, seeing the Sheikah Tablet in-game.

Dystify

At that point I dont think anyone should even be watching stuff anymore. Some people gone have their games and switch early in the week and then at midnight.

Pretty much. I feel like reading/watching so much content about the game so close before release just makes you enjoy the game less.

Despite being the creator of this topic I haven't actually read or watched any of the previews/gameplay. :D

Pretty much. I feel like reading/watching so much content about the game so close before release just makes you enjoy the game less.

Despite being the creator of this topic I haven't actually read or watched any of the previews/gameplay. :D

You tricked us all you bastard.

A lot of previews compare the game to a Miyazaki Film and talk about the focus on Nature, Ancient Technology, and Rebirth as central themes.

That's really cool

That's also one thing I'm really excited about in the game as a huge Ghibli fan and it seems the game has also some deeper themes. I'm just over the moon with all these previews.

Deku Tree

After playing Nioh on my PS4 Pro with a 4K TV at a rock solid 60FPS in action mode, I think I am going to be severely bothered if there is a lot of FPS studder and jank on the Wii U version.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Can you at least be considerate and put that shit in a spoiler tag & link tho?
People are generally really good with that in this thread.

Come on don't be ridiculous now. I mean how do you want me to spoiler tag that?

"You can do something with a dog. Click the link below to find out what you can do with dogs."

*spoiler link*

Pls... again if you don't want to know and see anything outside the Great Plateau my advice would be to stay out of this thread.

Nintendo doesn't consider that a spoiler otherwise it would be under embargo. They got a huge list of things they aren't allowed to talk about yet, petting dogs was obviously not one of those things.

While horizon looks high end gfx with a nice environment I think you rather can't compare it to Zelda. I would place it beside the witcher, dark soul and skyrim. Zelda is just a whole different game. Horizon and mass effect are good games, but it's more of following the story, while zelda is about experience the magic world and playing the story.

Personally looking at all games, Zelda is groundbreaking. It new and fresh with their physics engine, it hasn't been done before, same happened with splatoon and mario galaxy. Thats what I love about nintendo.

But like music, it's not that you only like one song, enjoy both.
Wha? I guess zelda is groundbreaking if you've only owned a Nintendo system your whole life

Top Bottom