• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Preview Thread

LotusHD

Banned
Can we just fucking stop with the horizon vs zelda bullshit. Fuck!

Both are good games. Period. Sheesh. Ny god humanity is so fucking petty (myself included). Really cant wait for a meteor to just end all this senseless bullshit.

If zelda reviews worse than horizon, so the fuck what? If horizon reviews better who gives a shit. Horizon is technicially superior. Period. Art style though is up for debate. Its also okay to think both games look great for difference (or even the same) reasons.

Humanity was such a mistake. Thats why I dont believe in God. No supreme sentient being would allow us to exist seeing what we would become way back when in our inchoate states.

Can we die after we finish Zelda?
and Nier and Horizon

13ruce

Banned
Bd9LBx.gif

GZEEEJ.gif

Okay this is amazing this is the MGS V of Zelda but finished and a very interesting world.

Oh my god.....the gameplay people.

So you want me to just post the link without any description? and what do i tell people when they ask what this link is about?

Also omg Twilight Princess horse strafing is in the game, i'm sure you also wanted to find this out by yourself.
Do you know there's this thing called a spoiler tag? You know when you reply to a post, there are these icons right above the textbox, you click on the one that says spoiler, and put the spoiler inside the tag. Other people can click on it and read.
And like I said, everything outside of GP is under embargo so maybe be a little considerate?

LotusHD

Banned
So you want me to just post the link without any description? and what do i tell people when they ask what this link is about?

Also omg Twilight Princess horse strafing is in the game, i'm sure you also wanted to find this out by yourself.

Meh, don't stress about it dude. It's just a dog.

Bro!!!!!

On one of The previews they couldn't help to compare the game with Horizon, and after they played Zelda BOTW it mentions that it feels simplistic. Here is the quote:

From Metro.co.uk

What are your thoughts? is it a fair comparison? I'm Hyped for HZD but if know something about Nintendo is that gameplay is king.
I expected it, that horizon dawn vs Zelda thread alot of people was saying how zelda will be the game that will be talked about years from now and ya get laughed at or ridiculed. I mean they both aint out yet but these previews aint no joke.

Zedark

Man, all those GIFs really make me appreciate the animation style of this game and the cartoon-like gameplay options (like shooting a box with the stasis field)! It just oozes fun, kinda like the Ratchet & Clank PS4 remake offered, and I'm pretty sure I am going to love that!

On one of The previews they couldn't help to compare the game with Horizon, and after they played Zelda BOTW it mentions that it feels simplistic. Here is the quote:

From Metro.co.uk

What are your thoughts? is it a fair comparison? I'm Hyped for HZD but if know something about Nintendo is that gameplay is king.

Austin from Waypoint said the same thing pretty much.

Aroll

Ug. Can we stop it with the "you Nintendo fans don't know nothing" shtick. Besides, the praise is mirrored in the hands-on previews.

By people who have played all the other open world games, some of which absolutely love them. Like, it's cool to try and characterize fans who think this as just being informed to open world games, but uh... many of these media members are not, and many of them are the same ones that played and reviewed Horizon. Yet, they say that BoTW is groundbreaking in many ways for open world games.

It's possible many of the ways it is groundbreaking simply can't be shown yet. These previews are highly restricted and they can ONLY discuss the opening hours.

Well, a lot of it is still under embargo. And Jason Schreier said in this thread that specifically those things under embargo make this a very special game.
Sounds great, can't wait to see for myself. Too bad all the grounbreaking stuff is being kept quiet but i guess they already have a ton of hype on their side

SWRC9

Neo Member
Cannot believe as a PC gamer that I am going to spend $300++ just to play this game. I have a feeling it's going to be a masterpiece.

I also just saw gif of 1 sword connecting with 2 mobs at the same time as well. Kept seeing just single target combat but there is massive AOE! My lord the combat in this game is so satisfying.

Hindl

Yeah, all looks good and i can't wait to play it but i haven't seen anything i would describe as groundbreaking.

Ultimately none of us have played it, so I can't argue your point. You may be right, this may just be a very refined evolution, not revolution, of the open world formula. But in this very thread, Kotaku's Jason Schreier mentioned that there are things that have been embargoed that help elevate this game and make it special

Edit: You've already seen that so you can ignore this

Cannot believe as a PC gamer that I am going to spend $300++ just to play this game. I have a feeling it's going to be a masterpiece.

I also just saw gif of 1 sword connecting with 2 mobs at the same time as well. Kept seeing just single target combat but there is massive AOE! My lord the combat in this game is so satisfying.

At one point, I read that if there's a metal sword or something lying around on the ground, you can use the magnesis rune to pick it up and just keep moving it through enemies

Servbot24

Banned
Well, a lot of it is still under embargo. And Jason Schreier said in this thread that specifically those things under embargo make this a very special game.

I hope it's narrative stuff. BotW looks great, but I tend to not get into games where all you do is fuck around.

TS-08

Yeah, all looks good and i can't wait to play it but i haven't seen anything i would describe as groundbreaking.

You've barely seen anything of the game. There's a ton of stuff reviewers are still not allowed to show or discuss. Also, being innovative or groundbreaking isn't always about creating new ideas or systems, but bringing together existing concepts in new and creative ways. I'm sure that's part of what the press is referring to when they describe the game in those kinds of terms.

balgajo

Fuck Nintendo for allowing those previews. I was watching a spoiler free video an then there was a suggestion about
blood moon video
. They are trying to spoil every little surprise in the game.

Fuck Nintendo for allowing those previews. I was watching a spoiler free video an then there was a suggestion about
blood moon video

I mean, the general embargo list seems to be pretty restrictive based on what we've heard.

Hey guys, now that the preview embargo is up, if you'd like to ask any questions about the game that I'm allowed to answer, I'll gladly do that for you, as I have a Switch and a copy of the game.

This is not strictly a Zelda question, but can you comfortably hold the Switch in handheld mode via the right attached joycon while the left is detached in your left hand? I want to play Zelda during night time wife cuddles so this is of the utmost importance.

Caelus

At one point, I read that if there's a metal sword or something lying around on the ground, you can use the magnesis rune to pick it up and just keep moving it through enemies

This is also convenient when there's a lightning strike about to happen, you can use magnesis on metal objects or throw your metal weapons to strike groups of enemies since the lightning will hit them instead of you. Cool stuff.

Cuburt

Man, these gifs make me think video recording should have been included in the Switch from day one.

Emergent gameplay moments in this game will be incredible. It could have not just been a great promotion tool but something that could have sold the game/system even more by incredible gifs.

Man, these gifs make me think video recording should have been included in the Switch from day one.

Emergent gameplay moments in this game will be incredible. It could have not just been a great promotion tool but something that could have sold the game/system even more by incredible gifs.

Speed runs of this game are going to get so crazy

Ug, i'm a nintendo fan.

Tell me...

What makes this Zelda so special is his interactive open world. Something you barely see in other ones. I am still waiting for some guy who wanted to show me 6 different games who let the player do the same stuff as in Zelda. You can imagine he never posted even one game...

When you watch the videos and see how the world reacts to you and everything is working together like a clockwork it is rather impressive. A simple example: you wear a metal axe and a lightnimg is about to strike you. You throw away the weapon in the last second, in front of an enemy and the lightning hits the axe and kills the enemy. The lightning casts a fire and you can use it to jump in the wind and get high to shoot other enemies with your bow.
That is just fun. Sure it will get old when you did that 100 times but it is still impressive that Ou have so many little options in the gameplay. That sets it apart from any other open world game where your character can't even jump over a bush if the developer don't allow it.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
This is also convenient when there's a lightning strike about to happen, you can use magnesis on metal objects or throw your metal weapons to strike groups of enemies since the lightning will hit them instead of you. Cool stuff.

Oh...I didn't think of that. That's a good idea.

Yeah I've been saying that for a while now. This is one of those games that could've had a bunch of gifs go viral with in-game video recording.

Mory Dunz

Can we just fucking stop with the horizon vs zelda bullshit. Fuck!

Both are good games. Period. Sheesh. Ny god humanity is so fucking petty (myself included). Really cant wait for a meteor to just end all this senseless bullshit.

If zelda reviews worse than horizon, so the fuck what? If horizon reviews better who gives a shit. Horizon is technicially superior. Period. Art style though is up for debate. Its also okay to think both games look great for difference (or even the same) reasons.

Humanity was such a mistake. Thats why I dont believe in God. No supreme sentient being would allow us to exist seeing what we would become way back when in our inchoate states.
It's not enough that I succeed, others must etc

You've barely seen anything of the game. There's a ton of stuff reviewers are still not allowed to show or discuss. Also, being innovative or groundbreaking isn't always about creating new ideas or systems, but bringing together existing concepts in new and creative ways. I'm sure that's part of what the press is referring to when they describe the game in those kinds of terms.
I was originally responding to someone who thought zelda was groundbreaking based on the physics system. I'm not saying nothing will be groundbreaking but rather that i hadn't seen anything yet.

Caelus

Would people consider the existence of the Camera rune in those pics a spoiler? I guess not considering Nintendo posted a pic of Link taking a selfie on the FB page... but I guess people have different thresholds for spoilers.

HeySeuss

blood moon video

Eh, it's just a mechanism to respawn the enemy characters so you don't ultimately travel around an empty world. Cool way to tie it in with the world, but that's all it really is.

SWRC9

Neo Member
As someone pretty new to consoles, how do they go about updates? As the Switch uses cartridges, what if the BotW developers were to issue a patch / add new content to the game?

What makes this Zelda so special is his interactive open world. Something you barely see in other ones. I am still waiting for some guy who wanted to show me 6 different games who let the player do the same stuff as in Zelda. You can imagine he never posted even one game...

When you watch the videos and see how the world reacts to you and everything is working together like a clockwork it is rather impressive. A simple example: you wear a metal axe and a lightnimg is about to strike you. You throw away the weapon in the last second, in front of an enemy and the lightning hits the axe and kills the enemy. The lightning casts a fire and you can use it to jump in the wind and get high to shoot other enemies with your bow.
That is just fun. Sure it will get old when you did that 100 times but it is still impressive that Ou have so many little options in the gameplay. That sets it apart from any other open world game where your character can't even jump over a bush if the developer don't allow it.
Sounds awesome but i'd argue that's on par with mgsv level of detail. Can't wait until i'm trying it all out for myself

Top Bottom