• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Preview Thread

Zedark

Those boulders do fling a long way (from E3).
FM2JD5b.jpg
What the hell. It would be cool if you could add a marker to it so you can track it down, like playing some kind of cross-hyrule golf.

Wollan

I'm curious to experience how this game will hook you. In a game like Skyrim you are very busy building stats and gear while exploring all the secrets. Micromanagement of a lot of stuff. Zelda seem to lean more on the nice dynamic mechanics carrying the weight and people messing around with combining them but it seems maybe a bit lean otherwise? It reminds me in ways how people like messing around with Forge and such in that you have to create your own fun. The Souls games mixes a lot of rich micromanagement with good ('non dynamic') mechanics while following a bit more structured metroidvania like flow.

The throw-away weapon nature combined with challenging encounters might just be the thing that makes this click (+ enormous square map with secrets).

fossi8

I think it's time to leave the Internet for the next week. Happy weekend GAF, be safe with all wild leaks out there and get ready for an awesome adventure next Friday !

phanphare

Banned
So... A mixture of mgsv, a rockstar game and dark souls. Like i said, can't wait to play it

yeah you're getting closer. basically you can probably point to each individual aspect of breath of the wild and come away with another game that has done that before

but what you can't do is point to a single game that's doing everything that breath of the wild is doing with all of it's gameplay systems and the level of interactivity you're afforded in this world. it seems like quite the accomplishment.

And we still have Mario odyssey to look forward to.
Unfortunately , i'm not getting a switch for a while. BotW will be played on my wiiu. But between Yakuza 0, Kiwami, Nioh, persona 5, Nier, Red Dead and BotW, it's a crazy year. I'm skeptical about Horizon atm and I hope it is able to stand out from the crowd.

I'm maxing one out to sneak this in haha

Good luck :p

While horizon looks high end gfx with a nice environment I think you rather can't compare it to Zelda. I would place it beside the witcher, dark soul and skyrim. Zelda is just a whole different game. Horizon and mass effect are good games, but it's more of following the story, while zelda is about experience the magic world and playing the story.

Personally looking at all games, Zelda is groundbreaking. It new and fresh with their physics engine, it hasn't been done before, same happened with splatoon and mario galaxy. Thats what I love about nintendo.

But like music, it's not that you only like one song, enjoy both.

You took what I said in an entirely different direction. What's up with the constant belittling comparison?

jdstorm

Banned
yeah you're getting closer. basically you can probably point to each individual aspect of breath of the wild and come away with another game that has done that before

but what you can't do is point to a single game that's doing everything that breath of the wild is doing with all of it's gameplay systems and the level of interactivity you're afforded in this world. it seems like quite the accomplishment.

Exactly. Its like comparing eating a Burger and Chips for the first time.

Sure you may have previously eaten bread and beef and Salad and Cheese and potatoes. But its how it all comes together that makes it special, new and exciting

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
So this is pretty much locked for a 90+ metacritic looking at the past scores. Even Skyward Sword is at 93 which is rather divisive from what I hear.

putarorex

Looks awesome. I am still worried that the weapon degradation is going to be annoying though. It seems like you will need to just pick up every weapon from enemies.

I am so weak. I told myself DONT BUY A SWITCH just for ONE game!
I just ordered one..... Damn you Nintendo!

This game just looks way too good not to be played on a switch.

Looks awesome. I am still worried that the weapon degradation is going to be annoying though. It seems like you will need to just pick up every weapon from enemies.

From what I understand there was a screenshot leak of a "workshop". It's my assumption that it can be used for upgrading and possibly maybe repair.

Man what is the "New" hard mode DLC gonna be like. Just adding more damage is pointless in this game.

Every time you take damage from an enemy, you'll be forced to fight The Imprisoned, read an unskippable 30-minute tutorial from Fi, and collect 100 Tears. Additionally, you'll be forced to backtrack through the same three areas, over and over again, all while Fi repeatedly reminds you of Rupee values and item functions.

But there will be undestructable weapons, that you find/rewarded by clearing dungeons, grappling hooks, master sword, shields, boomerang etc and i am sure these wont break

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Hey guys, now that the preview embargo is up, if you'd like to ask any questions about the game that I'm allowed to answer, I'll gladly do that for you, as I have a Switch and a copy of the game.

If you clear an enemy camp (those treehouse-like structures filled with Bokoblins), does it stay empty after you leave the area or save and return to the game? Or do they repopulate with enemies?

iSnakeTk

Should be put to work in a coal mine.
Looking back it's crazy to think Nintendo listened to those "zelda should be more like Dark Souls threads" xD. And every zelda fan dismissed them.

No hand holding, learning from your mistakes, can't just rush into mobs have to pick them out 1 by 1.

This has the potential to be the next 95+ meta game.

Man what is the "New" hard mode DLC gonna be like. Just adding more damage is pointless in this game.

I'm still holding out for:

- More/higher-level enemies
- Very powerful enemies appear in more places in the field, esp at night
- Subtle increases in dungeon complexity (that don't completely change the dungeons but are still tougher to solve)
- Regular attacks consume stamina (and therefore you need to budget all your offensive moves, not just the powerful ones)
- Smaller inventory for healing items
- Harder to find powerful gear

Looking back it's crazy to think Nintendo listened to those "zelda should be more like Dark Souls threads" xD. And every zelda fan dismissed them.

No hand holding, learning from your mistakes, can't just rush into mobs have to pick them out 1 by 1.

This has the potential to be the next 95+ meta game.

Its going to be 98 or 99% on meta critic!

JGHki0e.png

So this is what heaven feels like. :D

Congrats! It is a very nice OP, Bill has good taste!

Yeah that actually makes a whole lot of sense actually. I would say gameplay wise, yes Zelda definitely controls a lot better. In general the mechanics of gameplay are better, but man the all around package talking about the world and how its inhabited, Witcher 3 takes the cake.

Yeah and that's perfectly understandable. The Witcher 3 felt very real, in a way that everything made sense in the world and felt cohesive when looking at the overall story and lore too. Again, I haven't played Zelda, but it seems like the world exists mainly to present you with new and different gameplay options, which is a very differently built world. The two games are trying to do very different things, and will satisfy different tastes due to that.

I'll be shocked if this game isn't far easier than any Dark Souls...

First off, I never said that. All I said was the lack of i-frames will make this a bit more difficult to me since I'm so used to playing Dark Souls and rolling through lots of attacks. It'll be a tough transition for me.

Second, I don't think this will be as hard as Dark Souls I but it's (according to these journalists) far harder than most people seem to think. There aren't very many enemies in Dark Souls that can 1 shot you from full health for instance.

But the way the difficulty is achieved is going to be quite different. Dark Souls is linear and difficulty gated, whereas Zelda is completely open and difficulty gated, meaning you can just try to go around high level enemies rather than having to face them to proceed. In general you also seem to have far more combat options in Zelda, which always makes it easier. Dying also serves a different purpose in Dark Souls, which is to help you grow both as a player and as a character, whereas in Zelda it just teaches you as a player what not to do.

Pausing the game to restore health is the major thing which will make Zelda a good deal easier though.

If you clear an enemy camp (those treehouse-like structures filled with Bokoblins), does it stay empty after you leave the area or save and return to the game? Or do they repopulate with enemies?

They'll respawn eventually but stay dead for awhile as far as I've heard from Gamexplain. Breath of the Wild's enemy respawn mechanic is kind of different and unique and I won't go any further in fear of ruining it for you.

And to the guy above me yes Breath of the Wild does look like a 2017 game, there are indie games releasing this year that look like NES games or pixel style graphics and there are high end visual games like Horizon releasing this year too. Both types of games as well as Zelda look like 2017 games because 1.) they are releasing in 2017 and 2.) games have all sorts of different visual approaches based on art, stylistic approaches and yes technical limitations too.

I'm still holding out for:

- More/higher-level enemies
- Very powerful enemies appear in more places in the field, esp at night
- Subtle increases in dungeon complexity (that don't completely change the dungeons but are still tougher to solve)
- Regular attacks consume stamina (and therefore you need to budget all your offensive moves, not just the powerful ones)
- Smaller inventory for healing items
- Harder to find powerful gear

Yeah, since hard mode is locked behind the season pass, I'm hoping for additions like these.

Here's a video explaining how this works

Kind of a spoiler though, so beware. Just know that it's really flippin' cool.

But it's not...

Looks 2017 enough to me :p

FarFromAnyFact I'd say.

if you've only played Nintendo games, sure, it looks so 2017.

It's rude asserting your opinion as fact.

Technology isn't an opinion.

Yeah yeah. Don't forget to post "of course it sold well Switch has no gaems what else would Nintendo fanboys play!!" when it tops the NPD charts.

I'm actually getting it day one with a switch.

Top Bottom