• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Preview Thread

PrimeBeef

Read/watched some more previews and this game really does seem to be great. That said, there are some things I'm not feeling.

I don't like weapons having durability. I know you'll come across many of them throughout the game, but I've never been a fan of this type of mechanic. The combat looks serviceable, but most of what I've seen looks...not boring, but also nothing to write home about. (I should note that I'm talking about the melee/ranged combat with your standard weapons like swords and axes and whatnot, specifically.) Throwing weapons looks fun, though! Anyway, it doesn't help that animation in this game doesn't look all that good, to me. And while I do find the visuals to be lacking, the art on display is fantastic. Music as well.

All in all, as someone who has never really cared about Zelda games, this is the first one I've ever been really interested in, and I look forward to playing it one day.

Think of weapons durability more like ammo. when the durability runs out you switch weapons like you would with a gun that is out of ammo.

Think of weapons durability more like ammo. when the durability runs out you switch weapons like you would with a gun that is out of ammo.

Yeah, the weapon durability isn't going to be much of an issue. Almost every enemy in the game drops a weapon when defeated. The bigger issue is running out of inventory slots.

I'm pretty sure you can eat any animal except for horses and dogs, and I think the player can still attack and kill them (I think the Polygon video had him kill his horse with an axe. It just laid there though)

well hopefully its completely unecessary, i aint killing those cute squirrel things shown in the trailer

PrimeBeef

Yeah, the weapon durability isn't going to be much of an issue. Almost every enemy in the game drops a weapon when defeated. The bigger issue is running out of inventory slots.

If what I heard in one preview , Korok seed are used to increase inventory space. Should not be an issue in the long run.

Caelus

Yeah I don't have to be a blind fanboy to be interested in BoTW. That doesn't change the fact that it looks very outdated.

You haven't offered any points as to why it looks "outdated" aside from graphics, and you dismiss any arguments to the contrary as belonging to those of "blind fanboys", even though a lot of the praise for the freshness of this game originates from relapsed Nintendo fans and people disappointed with the direction of recent 3D Zeldas.

Probably already posted, but:

2CTSjf0.gif

what the

Ok. You're in the minority here but if you say it looks outdated then you're free to believe that.

Nintendo has done a decent job of using art style to make up for its spec deficiencies in the console. Unfortunately, it can be problematic in an open world game. It's a lot tougher to mask the weak hardware in a game like this than in a linear type of game.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Impressions seem to suggest that it's mostly in particular areas and ultimately uncommon. I read one impression in this thread that it's most prevalent in the starting area.

The general consensus is that the expansive Plateau causes the more frequent stutter. Outside it, the game handles better.

A bomb and an axe. That monster.

A number of journalists have stated the framerate problems become much less of an issue after the opening area. Let's hope for a performance patch though.

Thanks, hope it's true. Also hope they can somehow fix this in a patch... seems so specific to certain things happening on screen.

Finally at home and I can now bathe in these previews.

Gamecentral's:

http://metro.co.uk/2017/02/24/the-l...the-wild-hands-on-preview-eye-opener-6470487/

Some exceprts:

Nintendo has talked about how they went back to the very first NES game for inspiration, which sounds like hyperbole given the technology gulf between 1986 and now. But actually, the comparisons are entirely valid.

Having just completed it, we couldn’t help but think of Horizon Zero Dawn while playing Breath Of The Wild, and how simplistic it now seems compared to Zelda. You also have a bow in Breath Of The Wild, but you have to account for how arrows arc through the air, rather than it just acting like a low-tech sniper rifle. Boomerangs have to be caught manually on their return and the best way to defeat the skeletons that appear at night is to chop of their head and punt it into a river, like a goalkeeper trying to make a clearance.

We’re doing our best to find faults here but the truth is we’re hugely impressed. We already know some things we can’t talk about here, and other secrets that have been hinted to us by Nintendo. At this stage we’d shocked if this didn’t turn out to be the best Zelda since Ocarina Of Time. It may even surpass it, and since many still regard that as the best video game ever made it becomes almost impossible to overstate just how good Breath Of The Wild is.

oprah_happy_tears.gif

What is this... This preview reads like a fucking dream.

Yeah I don't have to be a blind fanboy to be interested in BoTW. That doesn't change the fact that it looks very outdated.

It doesn't look as high fidelity as top of the line graphical showcases running on more powerful hardware BUT it is almost certainly the most graphically impressive portable game ever released, the art direction is very pleasing, and the complexity of the game systems is far from outdated.

Can everyone be happy with this?

Mael

I'm all for discussing the pro and cons of the game and while I'm never that fond of preview (because they seem like glorified marketing),
can we focus less on the obvious troll and more on the actual topic?
There's literally no difference whether or not he buys the game/system/whatever since his only ownership claim will serve as a weapon to continue trolling.

You haven't offered any points as to why it looks "outdated" aside from graphics, and you dismiss any arguments to the contrary as belonging to those of "blind fanboys", even though a lot of the praise for the freshness of this game originates from relapsed Nintendo fans and people disappointed with the direction of recent 3D Zeldas.

That's why I'm interested. The freshness.

But it looks outdated not just graphically. I talked in another thread about how world fidelity and density are important to me and even though RDR is my favorite game of all time, I can't go back to it now as it looks very outdated by today's standards. Zelda is the same thing except its releasing this year.

jariw

I really want to find a big moose in the game, catch it and train it. Wonder if wild animals can be registered in the stables?

I'm all for discussing the pro and cons of the game and while I'm never that fond of preview (because they seem like glorified marketing),
can we focus less on the obvious troll and more on the actual topic?
There's literally no difference whether or not he buys the game/system/whatever since his only ownership claim will serve as a weapon to continue trolling.
You're right, best to ignore the troll and keep on talking about coverage.
Finally at home and I can now bathe in these previews.

oprah_happy_tears.gif

What is this... This preview reads like a fucking dream.
This makes me so excited.

I'm glad I've stopped visiting IGN years and years ago.
Oh you used to post there? Same. Stopped being a regular when reasonable discussion became impossible. I'm all for criticism and what not but there's a fine line between criticism and spite or trolling. Like I have no doubt this Zelda will have flaws, like any other Zelda or game before it, but I don't think that makes it so anyone who's not a hardcore Nintendo fanboy can't get into it

Stuff like frame-rate issues and poor textures are absolutely valid criticisms alongside whatever issues there may be. But I also feel like the game will be spectacular so I can't help be hyped

Caelus

But it looks outdated not just graphically. I talked in another thread about how world fidelity and density are important to me and even though RDR is my favorite game of all time, I can't go back to it now as it looks very outdated by today's standards. Zelda is the same thing except its releasing this year.

If you're being sincere, impressions have been positive about the content of the world itself. Villages, sidequests and story missions are still under embargo, so ultimately if you want to make a conclusion as to whether the content of the game is outdated, you'll have to play it.

heringer

That's why I'm interested. The freshness.

You can't go back to your favorite game of all time because of the outdated graphics but are interested in playing Zelda despite the outdated graphics?

Something doesn't add up here. Are you sure you are buying a Switch? I don't think you are.

It doesn't look as high fidelity as top of the line graphical showcases running on more powerful hardware BUT it is almost certainly the most graphically impressive portable game ever released, the art direction is very pleasing, and the complexity of the game systems is far from outdated.

Can everyone be happy with this?

I'd actually go so far as to claim that the complexity of the many systems and how they interplay with one another is a good deal higher than any other game that I've ever seen. The level of interactivity with the world, both by the player and by all of the systems in the game, seems, frankly, unprecedented.

I really want to find a big moose in the game, catch it and train it. Wonder if wild animals can be registered in the stables?

I remember seeing some donkeys parked at a stable in one of the preview videos from January. Hopefully we can even buy some Moose Armor DLC.

Mael

Oh you used to post there? Same. Stopped being a regular when reasonable discussion became impossible. I'm all for criticism and what not but there's a fine line between criticism and spite or trolling. Like I have no doubt this Zelda will have flaws, like any other Zelda or game before it, but I don't think that makes it so anyone who's not a hardcore Nintendo fanboy can't get into it

Even worse are the idiots that think that only "company" fanboys get to be excited about a product.
Fucking insane that this kind of suspicion is thrown around and stiffle any and all discussions.

Top Bottom