• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Preview Thread

Dystify

Thanks for all the nice comments. :) I'll make sure to put in some effort for the review thread next week. (And not simply take all the graphics from this thread.)

Has Bill followed you for a while? Awesome that he credited you specifically :)

He doesn't follow me, sadly. Would make me really happy though. And yeah, it is awesome! Almost felt unbelievable the moment I saw the tweet haha.

Hindl

I'll be shocked if this game isn't far easier than any Dark Souls...

Oh definitely. They're just talking about after getting used to the iframes in the dark souls dodge you get some muscle memory. Then you go into BotW expecting the iframes when you dodge but you take damage you aren't expecting. So it's not that the game is harder, but souls had trained you in one way, and BotW forces you to do it differently

Vena

Because it's a fact.

And its also rude trying too hard to be funny.

I see that the concept of facts eludes you.

Technology isn't an opinion.

I see that the concept of technology also eludes you as you seem to think it has or is somehow weighed on "looks" or isn't a gradient across a very wide spectrum.

I, personally, would consider the current practical limits of thermodynamics within a certain sized envelope that needs power and generates heat as a very impressive technology case.

PrimeBeef

There's plenty of negatives, but the postives are greater.

Some guy said the combat was boring compared to Nioh, which is....well let's just something I dont think most people will compain about since the combat is great.

Gamexplain mentioned you run out of inventory space often so you are constantly in the menu and they wished you could auto drop your worst weapon.

Some areas especially the opening plateu are empty and slow compared to the rest of the game (it is the tutorial)

And there is probably too much micromanaging when it comes to climbing

Korok seeds will increase your inventory I heard.

Caelus

CQnMI1w.png

Afrodium

Banned
I read the glowing impressions while at work but only now got to watch some of the preview videos - this game looks incredible. Holy shit. I'm taking a half day next Friday.

if you've only played Nintendo games, sure, it looks so 2017.
That's cute. I've been playing across multiple consoles since I was a kid and have only continued to do so with the Wii U and PS4. It certainly looks like a game that can hang with the best of this year so I'd say it looks 2017. Helps that's insanely impressive for a handheld

if you've only played Nintendo games, sure, it looks so 2017.

I'm actually getting it day one with a switch.

From some one who primarily plays on ps4, whst about this game looks bad. It's one of the most georgous looking games I've seen in sometime. The art style helps surely. But it looks really good to me.

DNAbro

I really hate when some people go "oh it looks good...for Nintendo" like the only people excited for this or thinks it looks good are solely Nintendo fans. You can play other things and still be impressed by Nintendo in comparison to other developers. That is allowed.

I'm still holding out for:

- More/higher-level enemies
- Very powerful enemies appear in more places in the field, esp at night
- Subtle increases in dungeon complexity (that don't completely change the dungeons but are still tougher to solve)
- Regular attacks consume stamina (and therefore you need to budget all your offensive moves, not just the powerful ones)
- Smaller inventory for healing items
- Harder to find powerful gear

Thats a good list. A Master Quest would be welcomed.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
They'll respawn eventually but stay dead for awhile as far as I've heard from Gamexplain. Breath of the Wild's enemy respawn mechanic is kind of different and unique and I won't go any further in fear of ruining it for you.

Here's a video explaining how this works

Kind of a spoiler though, so beware. Just know that it's really flippin' cool.

Thank you both for answering my question and not directly spoiling it! I'll hold off on watching that video, but I'm very intrigued by your answers.

Looking back it's crazy to think Nintendo listened to those "zelda should be more like Dark Souls threads" xD. And every zelda fan dismissed them.

No hand holding, learning from your mistakes, can't just rush into mobs have to pick them out 1 by 1.

This has the potential to be the next 95+ meta game.

lol

But you can see the irony in this right? This was Zelda's roots. Souls battle system took a direct influence from it. Only difference is FROM and co were great enough to perfect a nuanced battle system with the circling mechanic while the Zelda team prefer to keep it relatively shallow.

For anyone playing this game, do you have any idea if there's a track resembling the Gerudo Valley theme from OoT in this?

The soundtrack is the only thing holding me back from rating this as 15/10 before I've even played it.

oh man

Weapon durability is the worst thing. I know some people love that stuff but its not for me.

Think of it more like Ammo. Weapon Durability is incredible if you can't repair and you cycle often. It's micromanaging but it can have a real impact on difficulty and skill players have an additional learning curve to understand playing the game optimally. For a game like Zelda where many paths are viable, the optimal route must be obscured as much as possible. It will be discovered but it will not be accessible and that's what durability allows.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
The framerate stuff is concerning me... mainly because I wanted this in 1080p and it struggling to run at 900p (with some effects) has me a little bit worried... in the GoNintendo video in the beginning there looked to be quite a framerate problems.

Veitsev

I'm actually getting it day one with a switch.

Are you sure? You don't seem like the biggest Nintendo fan.

Nintendo fanboys will defend anything from Nintendo.

It's sold out. People are blindly buying it. Why bother make announcements?

They've always been.

Buying other physical products for in-game unlocks. This is worse than Ubisoft Club unlocks.

But hey.. or yay, it's Nintendo!

Yes, because Nintendo knows their fans will still buy them.

I personally don't like Japanese games. They feel very outdated. Bad graphics. Bad character animations, usually not realistic and very stiff, especially facial animations.

Sometimes they're too "gamey" I don't know. I like realistic, cinematic experiences.

I wish Yakuza is made by western devs.

I never cared about reviews but Nintendo reviews are often assigned to the Nintendo fans and they're biased.

Nintendo games are reviewed by Nintendo fans most of the time so I take them with a grain of salt.

This is amazing. Nintendo finally figured out how to take advantage of their fans. They buy anything Nintendo.

Never said don't buy it just saying that Nintendo knows their fans will buy anything from them and they're taking advantage.

You're free to buy it, I don't care how you spend your money.

You guys are too defensive.

Then I'm with Nintendo here. You deserve to be taken advantage of.

Nintendo fans are so easy to take advantage of.

LMAO. Nintendo's artificial scarcity strategy is being taken to the next level.

Splatoon 2 is a glorified re-release.

The WiiU is the definition of Nintendo fans supporting Nintendo. They're the only ones who bought it.

But it's Nintendo, they'll get away with it. Their fans support everything they do.

Nintendo fans like everything from Nintendo...

No wonder why they are doing what they're doing.

#FuckNintendo

That's what you get for sticking to a single company output.
Nintendo hasn't grown up with us like Sony did.
They still make mostly if not only kids and family friendly games which is good for them but we're not their target audience anymore.

I've lost interest in Nintendo since they released the Wii and went "Less power, more gimmicks"
They ruined everything. Even Mario Galaxy, it's never going to be a true classic that I will go back to. Because of the gimmicky and unnecessary motion controls.

Get a PC and PS4 and you'll have the best gaming experiences with the best devs working for the hardcore gamers.

How is it possible to have even less variety than current Nintendo?

Nintendo is different. Their fans will buy anything they come up with.

Yeah how dare they, eh?

But when Nintendo does it? All hail full priced ports!

If Nintendo got rid of Mario for good, I wouldn't be upset TBH.

The framerate stuff is concerning me... mainly because I wanted this in 1080p and it struggling to run at 900p (with some effects) has me a little bit worried... in the GoNintendo video in the beginning there looked to be quite a framerate problems.

A number of journalists have stated the framerate problems become much less of an issue after the opening area. Let's hope for a performance patch though.

I'm tired of reading people like you.

I'm going to tell you a Fact: the Switch isn't a PS4, XBO nor Gaming Notebook. It's a little Nintendo gaming tablet, not a home gaming console. This is a handheld and a fucking 2017 handheld. If you believe the lies of the Nintendo PR saying that this is foremost a home console and you eat it with french fries you are plain way too innocent.

The general consensus is that the expansive Plateau causes the more frequent stutter. Outside it, the game handles better.

I'm pretty sure you can eat any animal except for horses and dogs, and I think the player can still attack and kill them (I think the Polygon video had him kill his horse with an axe. It just laid there though)

A bomb and an axe. That monster.

Aldric

For anyone playing this game, do you have any idea if there's a track resembling the Gerudo Valley theme from OoT in this?

The soundtrack is the only thing holding me back from rating this as 15/10 before I've even played it.

The Gamekult guy said that the music was very subdued most of the time but could become epic in certain circumstances he wasn't allowed to talk about.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member

Impressions seem to suggest that it's mostly in particular areas and ultimately uncommon. I read one impression in this thread that it's most prevalent in the starting area.

Top Bottom