• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Preview Thread

Peterc

Ug, i'm a nintendo fan.

Tell me...

Zelda engine is the first engine where everything lifes. My natural language isn't English so I'll do my best. I also give you a few examples
It's the first game with real full weather cycle where everything change on the fly.
All objects in the game response on your behaviour and its not prefab made like all other games. Using everything as a weapon, moving things and solving puzzles by that not using always one solution. Even enemies can use everything in the world, don't going to spoil anything. It's first open world where you are free to go with no real boundaries. Climbing on every mountain you'll see. Small things like the fire goes depending in what direction the wind blows. There are many things more to let you experience all the freedom. Beside mmo that doesn't use this kind of physical engine, you don't have any game that doesn't push you in some direction / path. With this zelda you could even go directly to the end boss, not that you'll will survive. This kind of experience isn't done before. I hope many more games like this will come.

Cerium

As someone pretty new to consoles, how do they go about updates? As the Switch uses cartridges, what if BotW developers were to issue a patch / add new content to the game?

It goes onto the internal memory or the MicroSD card if you have one.

As someone pretty new to consoles, how do they go about updates? As the Switch uses cartridges, what if BotW developers were to issue a patch / add new content to the game?

I would imagine the update would come through the network, download it, and get installed within the internal flash memory or via SD Card (have to buy separately).

DNAbro

NVM I figured it out!

3Gwef1p2s1VbW.gif

holy shit I legitimately laughed out loud

What makes this Zelda so special is his interactive open world. Something you barely see in other ones. I am still waiting for some guy who wanted to show me 6 different games who let the player do the same stuff as in Zelda. You can imagine he never posted even one game...

When you watch the videos and see how the world reacts to you and everything is working together like a clockwork it is rather impressive. A simple example: you wear a metal axe and a lightnimg is about to strike you. You throw away the weapon in the last second, in front of an enemy and the lightning hits the axe and kills the enemy. The lightning casts a fire and you can use it to jump in the wind and get high to shoot other enemies with your bow.
That is just fun. Sure it will get old when you did that 100 times but it is still impressive that Ou have so many little options in the gameplay. That sets it apart from any other open world game where your character can't even jump over a bush if the developer don't allow it.
This type dynamic gameplay system is very interesting. It does seem that nintendo has put a lot of thought inti designing it.

trixx

uh oh 95 metavritic incoming. Was already buying for wii u though i don't know if i should change it for switch version

Tsosie

Have we heard anything about how the save system works? Specifically how often it autsaves? I am excited to play as reckless Link, but I am not sure if the save system will be too punishing.

SWRC9

Neo Member
It goes onto the internal memory or the MicroSD card if you have one.

Aww I see. That's pretty neat, I always thought we were just bound by whatever content was in the cartridge, but knowing that if the developers need to push out a patch it's possible!

Have we heard anything about how the save system works? Specifically how often it autsaves? I am excited to play as reckless Link, but I am not sure if the save system will be too punishing.

It saves every few minutes or wen you come across a special location as a shrine or something like that. So mostly you are just thrown back a minute or less if you die.

LotusHD

Banned
Zelda engine is the first engine where everything lifes. My natural language isn't English so I'll do my best. I also give you a few examples
It's the first game with real full weather cycle where everything change on the fly.
All objects in the game response on your behaviour and its not prefab made like all other games. Using everything as a weapon, moving things and solving puzzles by that not using always one solution. Even enemies can use everything in the world, don't going to spoil anything. It's first open world where you are free to go with no real boundaries. Climbing on every mountain you'll see. Small things like the fire goes depending in what direction the wind blows. There are many things more to let you experience all the freedom. Beside mmo that doesn't use this kind of physical engine, you don't have any game that doesn't push you in some direction / path. With this zelda you could even go directly to the end boss, not that you'll will survive. This kind of experience isn't done before. I hope many more games like this will come.

Well said. On the surface, stuff like weather and being able to climb shit isn't particularly innovative. But when it comes down to it, this is an open world that is hell-bent on letting you (and its inhabitants) interact with as much of the world as possible.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
It's amazing that they managed all these systems on the Wii U. Makes you wonder how well the console could have done if anyone gave a damn.

Well said. On the surface, stuff like weather and being able to climb shit isn't particularly innovative. But when it comes down to it, this is an open world that is hell-bent on letting you (and its inhabitants) interact with as much of the world as possible.
It's also how all the systems play together. Like when it rains surfaces get slippery and harder to climb

While horizon looks high end gfx with a nice environment I think you rather can't compare it to Zelda. I would place it beside the witcher, dark soul and skyrim. Zelda is just a whole different game. Horizon and mass effect are good games, but it's more of following the story, while zelda is about experience the magic world and playing the story.

Personally looking at all games, Zelda is groundbreaking. It new and fresh with their physics engine, it hasn't been done before, same happened with splatoon and mario galaxy. Thats what I love about nintendo.

But like music, it's not that you only like one song, enjoy both.

If that ragdoll physics look groundbreaking to you, play some Rockstar games. Your mind will be blown.

Ragdoll physics always look cheap and artificial to me. BotW does look better than most games with it though.

https://youtu.be/KoES90f-0pk

Eh, it's just a mechanism to respawn the enemy characters so you don't ultimately travel around an empty world. Cool way to tie it in with the world, but that's all it really is.

I was surprised that it doesn't just do it based on distance, it's pretty nice. I expect enemies that pop out of the ground don't work the same way, and it's more a way to clear out enemy camps for a set time.

So... A mixture of mgsv, a rockstar game and dark souls. Like i said, can't wait to play it

Listonosh

The overall gameplay looks way better to me. The Witcher's strength is quite obviously the narrative and lore, and the way that ties into gameplay (like hunting a specific creature using X as bait) is very satisfying, but the actual gameplay mechanics are pretty poor in my opinion. Movement is awkward, combat is terrible and repetitive, and menus are quite clunky.

I have not yet played Zelda but it seems to be far better in all of those areas. So when a person compares the two games they'll obviously be weighing the things that they personally like, and I would bet if you're more into precision gameplay than you are storytelling then Zelda will be a better game for you.

Yeah that actually makes a whole lot of sense actually. I would say gameplay wise, yes Zelda definitely controls a lot better. In general the mechanics of gameplay are better, but man the all around package talking about the world and how its inhabited, Witcher 3 takes the cake.

This thread has me jealous of all you lucky bastards that'll be able to play this on the Switch on the 3rd.

I won't be able to pick up my Switch and Zelda preorder until the 5th.

I read up to page 34 then got side track. Is there combat magic in BotW? Is it possible to run a mage Link eventually?

Top Bottom