• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Preview Thread

Bloodborne isn't a good example, because it holds a pretty solid 30fps. Dark Souls is a better example, which does have serious frame rate drops but is still much loved.
Doesn't it have frame-pacing issues? I think I just said frame-rate as a catch all term for how smooth a game feels

LotusHD

Banned
Jeff seems to like the game. He wishes it had full voice acting, though.

I think this works best. Nier's also doing the same thing. Makes it less taxing since you don't have to worry about giving voice acting to all the NPCs, and as a result of that, it's much easier to allow you to continue to go ahead and let players speak with all of them, as opposed to them just being window dressing.

And if he's speaking about Link, well, pretty sure the majority is fine with his silence.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Yeah, it's beautiful . Like Ralph Bakshi and ghibli had a baby
Literally seems like all the visual flaws could be chocked up to the constraints of the hardware it's running on. The shaders they made for the character models especially look gorgeous.

Caelus

Literally seems like all the visual flaws could be chocked up to the constraints of the hardware it's running on. The shaders they made for the character models especially look gorgeous.

The game looks very, very gorgeous in controlled environments. Shrines and villages look like they have a ton of detail, cutscenes have anti-aliasing to smooth everything out, etc.

But in some environmental areas, like cliffsides and rock faces in some of the footage, the poor textures are apparent and stand out with Link's gorgeous character model. That might be a bit distracting but I can live with it.

Doran902

I am having a hard time finding info on this other than some old youtube videos but would I be "safe" buying this on the Wii U if all of the switches are sold out? I don't mind a slight graphical downgrade but the worry is huge fps drops.

Game looks phenomenal btw.

I am having a hard time finding info on this other than some old youtube videos but would I be "safe" buying this on the Wii U if all of the switches are sold out? I don't mind a slight graphical downgrade but the worry is huge fps drops.

It'll probably run worse, but I don't think it'll run so bad that you won't enjoy the game.

The Wii U version should be fine.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
The game looks very, very gorgeous in controlled environments. Shrines and villages look like they have a ton of detail, cutscenes have anti-aliasing to smooth everything out, etc.

But in some environmental areas, like cliffsides and rock faces in some of the footage, the poor textures are apparent and stand out with Link's gorgeous character model. That might be a bit distracting but I can live with it.
Again it seems like they went with low res textures for better performance...which is a shame. Those CEMU guys are gonna be hella busy when this comes out.

Peterc

The game was made for wiiu first.
I also believe it was even better if the made it from scratch for the switch with modified unreal 4 engine.

Caelus

Again it seems like they went with low res textures for better performance...which is a shame. Those CEMU guys are gonna be hella busy when this comes out.

If we're lucky, we might see an official patch for 1080p and better textures. It feels like the port from Wii U to Switch, even when they were working on each simultaneously, may have been rushed for the Switch launch. If they're planning on adding to the game with DLC for the next year or so, I'm hoping they take advantage of the game's longevity.

In the high likelihood this doesn't happen though... I'm excited for the fan texture pack.

I suppose it depends on how sensitive you are to framerate but I can't imagine the Wii U version approaching anything considered "unplayable". I doubt it drops below the 20s. Since it's 720p, for all we know it performs better than docked Switch.

If Wii U is the most practical option for you I would never pass it up. The content is exactly the same.

Switch is having framrate issues sooo...

Jarmel

Banned
That durability aspect seems like it's going to be more annoying than anything else. That's my primary concern along with general inventory management.

Honestly, I'm fine with the game not having perfect IQ or textures and buttery smooth performance.

I'd rather the bones of the game be in great shape, and the game not make major compromises with its content approach and vision to run acceptably.

We can always get a more polished version down the line when the hardware capabilities (and the team's software chops) catch up. I'd rather the team get the chance to complete the game they've worked so hard on for now so people can play it - and so they can take what they've learned from this game and make something new.

In a... well, some people might consider it spoilery video (it certainly shows more than the current embargo allows), a guy sees an encampment of Lizalfos with a couple of fire Chuchus hanging out on the edge, then climbs up onto a cliff above it, tries to shoot some of those convenient exploding barrels with a regular arrow, which doesn't work because they need something on fire or with more impact to explode.

But the sound of the arrow attracts the attention of both Lizaflos and a Chuchu, who gets too close to the barrel and detonates the barrel, setting off a chain reaction that blows up the whole camp.

LotusHD

Banned
In a... well, some people might consider it spoilery video (it certainly shows more than the current embargo allows), a guy sees an encampment of Lizalfos with a couple of fire Chuchus hanging out on the edge, then climbs up onto a cliff above it, tries to shoot some of those convenient exploding barrels with a regular arrow, which doesn't work because they need something on fire or with more impact to explode.

But the sound of the arrow attracts the attention of both Lizaflos and a Chuchu, who gets too close to the barrel and detonates the barrel, setting off a chain reaction that blows up the whole camp.

Glorious.

Easily the strongest contender for GOTG so far. Nintendo have hits (mostly) and misses (less frequently; and that is euphemism for rarely); but when they do hit, they do so with the power of a nuclear warhead.

If only I had the money to invest in a Switch. :-(

giphy.gif

Can I get a link?

We make our own stories.

pgPPEm.gif

DLaicH

I'd been thinking about pulling the trigger on a Wii U for years, and Zelda has finally tipped me over the edge. Bought a used Wii U on eBay for $160 and I can't wait to get it. I just hope Nintendo hasn't been slacking on development of the U version in the process of getting the Switch version ready. But even if, for some reason, the Wii U version has more technical issues than the Switch version, I still know I'll be getting the most significant Zelda game since the 90s for cheaper than most people are getting it. :)

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
This game is going to be a gif goldmine for a long time.

NewGame

Banned
So it's confirmed or at least soft-confirmed that there's no underwater stuff? It has a Wind Waker drowning system so far and there's no Zoras mask/Iron Boots equivalent?

That ocean area, I was hoping for a Great Bay 2.0 :(

Pygrus

I don't know how i am going to make it to next Friday. Horizon will hold me over I guess, but I've been waiting for Zelda for so long.

Worried about the reported frame rate drops. I'll still play it and enjoy it, but a stable 30 would be really nice.

Coffinhal

Those red barrels set in camps are real lazy level design and yet I see them everywhere :/ Even Ubisoft doesn't put them everywhere in camps so that you can kill everyone in one shot from a distance with no consequence to what you did and a true outcome for minimal risk

jwhit28

All of the previewers talking about the difficulty and how many times they died has me excited. I remember Tropical Freeze getting the same rap.

Top Bottom