• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Preview Thread

Maxinas

That's why I'm interested. The freshness.

But it looks outdated not just graphically. I talked in another thread about how world fidelity and density are important to me and even though RDR is my favorite game of all time, I can't go back to it now as it looks very outdated by today's standards. Zelda is the same thing except its releasing this year.

So you can't play even your favorite game because it's not up to today's industry standards in gaming?

brad-t

That's why I'm interested. The freshness.

But it looks outdated not just graphically. I talked in another thread about how world fidelity and density are important to me and even though RDR is my favorite game of all time, I can't go back to it now as it looks very outdated by today's standards. Zelda is the same thing except its releasing this year.

So I guess you're one of the people that are "blindly buying it"? You're one of the fans that's being "taken advantage of" and that you "deserve it"? Or perhaps you can just admit that Nintendo has created a compelling product that people — including yourself — want to purchase.

All these graphics/console war people keep on missing just how intensive it is maintain the level of physics and interactivity in this game. There's a reason GTA5 had a nerfed physics engine after all. Oh, and also I can pop it out and take it anywhere. Call me when the PS4 or PC can do that (without paying 2500 for a gaming laptop)

bounchfx

I certainly don't agree with this, but if you place that much importance on polygon counts and texture resolution, I'm sorry (this is not meant to be an insult or dig at you, I just wish you were able to appreciate the style itself more). Game looks fresh as fuck graphically and incredibly well done. They absolutely nailed the art style, and these are the kinds of games that will always look good. (see: yoshis island, wind waker, tf2, okami, etc)

was it ever? lol
I was able to get some decent discussion back in 2013, 2014, and even 2012, after Nintendo's awful E3. After that, it became completely toxic

Even worse are the idiots that think that only "company" fanboys get to be excited about a product.
Fucking insane that this kind of suspicion is thrown around and stiffle any and all discussions.
Uggh, yeah, I've seen plenty of that. I get not being hyped for a game or even thinking it looks like garbage but calling people hyped for the game fanboys or blind is just so pretentious. There are several games I don't give a damn about but I wouldn't talk down to people excited for them. That's so childish

Big One

Banned
You can't go back to your favorite game of all time because of the outdated graphics but are interested in playing Zelda despite the outdated graphics?

Something doesn't add up here. Are you sure you are buying a Switch? I don't think you are.
Sometimes people just can't let their anti-Nintendo biases go.

I'd actually go so far as to claim that the complexity of the many systems and how they interplay with one another is a good deal higher than any other game that I've ever seen. The level of interactivity with the world, both by the player and by all of the systems in the game, seems, frankly, unprecedented.

I remember seeing some donkeys parked at a stable in one of the preview videos from January. Hopefully we can even buy some Moose Armor DLC.

Never seen dwarf fortress I take it?

Afrodium

Banned
I wonder if this will end up being an MGSV situation where it's a fantastic game in its own right but causes a backlash among the fan base from straying from staples of the series. Critics adored MGSV too, and largely for the same types of emergent gameplay that's being raved about here.

Personally I adore MGSV and am extremely excited for BotW, but I'm curious to see if there's a contingent of longtime Zelda fans who will end up hating this game.

Caelus

this would be a great shit post -> banned gif

rip bish :(

Or this:
XM1VM5a.gif

I wonder if this will end up being an MGSV situation where it's a fantastic game in its own right but causes a backlash among the fan base from straying from staples of the series. Critics adored MGSV too, and largely for the same types of emergent gameplay that's being raved about here.

Personally I adore MGSV and am extremely excited for BotW, but I'm curious to see if there's a contingent of longtime Zelda fans who will end up hating this game.

There's a narrative among these previews about Zelda retaining what makes it Zelda despite its newer bigger functions. I hope that keeps being true all the way to the end.

Afrodium

Banned
All these graphics/console war people keep on missing just how intensive it is maintain the level of physics and interactivity in this game. There's a reason GTA5 had a nerfed physics engine after all. Oh, and also I can pop it out and take it anywhere. Call me when the PS4 or PC can do that (without paying 2500 for a gaming laptop)

The Wii U can run this game too

I love Red Dead Redemption and I could go be play it today with no problem. This guy almost sounds like he's throwing his favorite game under the bus just to continue his borderline trolling lol.

I'm hoping he's being sincere, but I could never ever say I'm not going to play Super Mario World because it's outdated...well let's be honest it's never going to be outdated. Lol

Oh you used to post there? Same. Stopped being a regular when reasonable discussion became impossible. I'm all for criticism and what not but there's a fine line between criticism and spite or trolling. Like I have no doubt this Zelda will have flaws, like any other Zelda or game before it, but I don't think that makes it so anyone who's not a hardcore Nintendo fanboy can't get into it

Stuff like frame-rate issues and poor textures are absolutely valid criticisms alongside whatever issues there may be. But I also feel like the game will be spectacular so I can't help be hyped

I've actually never posted on IGN. Yeah, there are valid criticisms and it just tells you how amazing this game is to reviewers when frame rate doesn't hurt it.

random25

There will always be a certain section of fans that will not like this game because they favor the older ones. Not that big of a deal tbh. As for MGSV, its main issue among its fanbase is its "incompleteness" more than the gameplay changes.

LotusHD

Banned
Favorite part about some of the previews/videos is how they basically wish they didn't have to take the time out of their day to make them; they just want to go back to playing the game lol

I don't think not being a traditional MGS game was it's only problem. The segmented mission structure clashed with the open world design, missions were often repetitive and part of the game was utterly lifeless. As an MGS fan I'll remember V as having fun mechanics but poor design, not for it deviating from the MGS norm.

Caelus

Favorite part about some of the previews/videos is how they basically wish they didn't have to take the time out of their day to make them; they just want to go back to playing the game lol

Love that some non-English sites and a YouTuber here and there couldn't resist breaking the embargo. The wait for this is dire.

ryohumar

This is not strictly a Zelda question, but can you comfortably hold the Switch in handheld mode via the right attached joycon while the left is detached in your left hand? I want to play Zelda during night time wife cuddles so this is of the utmost importance.

It's not very comfortable. I'd recommend using the stand to prop it up and playing with the joy-con detached.

I've actually never posted on IGN. Yeah, there are valid criticisms and it just tells you how amazing this game is to reviewers when frame rate doesn't hurt it.
Oh how I envy you...

Oh so like Bloodborne then? A lot of people adore it, despite its looks and performance, and I like it a lot too. When a game is fun enough, issues like that don't mean too much for most

K' Dash

This, seriously, everybody says this at one point in the videos, they wish to finish the discussion and go back to playing and these guys could be easily 20-30 hours in.

ryohumar

If you clear an enemy camp (those treehouse-like structures filled with Bokoblins), does it stay empty after you leave the area or save and return to the game? Or do they repopulate with enemies?

They repopulate, but they even go as far as to explain why. I won't spoil it.

Aldric

There's a narrative among these previews about Zelda retaining what makes it Zelda despite its newer bigger functions. I hope that keeps being true all the way to the end.

The one thing l saw that made me think "yeah this is definitely a Zelda game" is the clothes dyeing process. lt might sound trivial but something so silly would feel extremely out of place in another game of this type but here it was immediately familiar. l'm confident they'll keep the spirit of the franchise despite the mechanical changes.

ksamedi

The interactivity is insane. Juat how I like my open world games. I wonder how the devs at Nintendo managed to get so much systems working together on lower spec consoles.

Japanese devs are certainly getting the hang of open word game design. MGSV is one of the best open world games ever made. This will be even better it seems (or just as good in a different setting)

phanphare

Banned
I love that the spoiler thread is just like 2 pages long.

There is one game I don't want spoiled, and damn right it's this one.

I accidentally clicked the spoiler thread and it was not ok

nope'd out of there with the quickness after seeing something I wish I hadn't

Do it at a big box mart. Gamestop's not gonna have the stock you want them to have.

yeah I'd personally try hitting up a 24 hour wal mart and see what the situation looks like. since they're 24 hours they don't really publicize midnight launches so you might be able to sneak in and get one. if it were me I'd show up around 9pm and see if anyone else is there waiting and ask the electronics people if they know how much stock they'll have. then either leave and come back or just chill and listen to some music or watch a movie or something.

Never seen dwarf fortress I take it?

Actually I have never played it, though I've heard about it's complexity. I guess I meant more the most complex systems in a 3D open world type game, which is a bit of a goalpost movement I'll admit.

It's not very comfortable. I'd recommend using the stand to prop it up and playing with the joy-con detached.

Gotcha, thanks for indulging my silly question!

LotusHD

Banned
This, seriously, everybody says this at one point in the videos, they wish to finish the discussion and go back to playing and these guys could be easily 20-30 in.

Yea, like that one dude said it took him 25 hours before he bothered to go and find a dungeon, because he was having that much fun playing it. I'm like, what type of potential GOTY
/GOTG
am I bout to play next week lol

The one thing l saw that made me think "yeah this is definitely a Zelda game" is the clothes dyeing process. lt might sound trivial but something so silly would feel extremely out of place in another game of this type but here it was immediately familiar. l'm confident they'll keep the spirit of the franchise despite the mechanical changes.

Nah, I hear ya. It's the little things that remind you that the game still has kept its roots. Thought it would instantly apply the color, but nope, they had to be whimsical with it.

Oh how I envy you...

Oh so like Bloodborne then? A lot of people adore it, despite its looks and performance, and I like it a lot too. When a game is fun enough, issues like that don't mean too much for most

Bloodborne isn't a good example, because it holds a pretty solid 30fps. Dark Souls is a better example, which does have serious frame rate drops but is still much loved.

Top Bottom