• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Preview Thread

From what we've seen so far, the freedom lies in emergence gameplay through its physics and AI. The physics lets you do some cool stuff (skybombing enemy camps, launching a boulder right into it), the AI does unexpected things (a bigger enemy throws a smaller enemy at you, a skeleton head crawls back into its body, etc).

Individually, these stuff may have been done in a game before (though I haven't seen an open world game with this level of physics?) but a lot of these things, plus Nintendo's top tier polish, seems like a recipe for a great game.

Just Cause?

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
German Gamepro gave it a 94/100. It's the second best score ever from them (highest is 95)
It's their best rated game of this gen. Current leaders are Witcher 3 and Uncharted 4 with 92/100.
It's like Edge a magazine and they also revealed their cover and you can see the score. Horizon got a 90.

Hype!!!!!

According to German Wikipedia, it's highest score was GTAV with 97, Zelda TP, GoWII, RDR and Arkham getting 95.

I can't confirm this, just a quick Wiki check, so yeah.

robotrock

Banned
edge10a3utf.jpg

omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg

About what feels "unique" to this Zelda:
I guess one point is the interconnectedness of all the mechanics? It's hard to explain without listing them. But it feels like Link is connected "by the ground" to all its environment.

Let's take Fire: spreads trough grass, which makes hot air column that can be ridden to go up with the glider, or spread to wooden weapons to make them do more damage, or burn enemies, or burn wooden walls, barrels, small trees, small items, and can be produced by explosions, fire arrows, fire staff... Can create a fire by putting flintstone and wood on the floor and hitting it. Fire also serves when you are cold to warm up. Fire places also serves as places to cook, and places you can sit down to pass time (jump to a time in the day).

So this one mechanic is linked to combat, to puzzles, to mobility, and as a safe place.
Multiple uses, interactions with other systems. (What I like in Mario Maker.) And it's like that for most mechanics.

A thing as simple as topology is to take in account for bombs that roll, bombs that don't roll, high ground advantage against enemies, the direction you go when you are shield surfing and if the shield takes damage or not, the steepness that relates to how much stamina you use for climbing, wet walls (during rain) are more difficult to climb (you slip), the amount of damage you get after a hit if you roll down a hill in ragdoll mode (meaning some places are more dangerous to fight on)...
So sure, each mechanic is not new in itself, but they chose the ones that mesh well together.

The fact that you cam climb anything and not just some scripted wallpieces might be new-ish. For me it is the first indication of this interconnectedness. I know it sounds unrelated -"climbing anything means freedom, not that everything is connected!"- but having the option present all the time forces the same rules to be applied at all time, and that is what I mean, cohesion and multi-usage in the world's mechanical rules. Note, you can't climb walls inside Shrines, and most of the times they contain puzzles with a set solution or a mechanic to experiment with, so it's interesting to see that contrast of rules with the rest of the world.

According to German Wikipedia, it's highest score was GTAV with 97, Zelda TP, GoWII, RDR and Arkham getting 95.

I can't confirm this, just a quick Wiki check, so yeah.

True they gave GTA 5 a 97, missed that review. Probably that high because GTA 4 was already very high on 94 or something and overrated by everyone. They gave some more games a 94 at least from what I know, TP is one of them. But don't know the exact numbers.
But like I said before they have changed their systen a lot this gen, before they gave out 90+ for fun which they realized because they got a lot of shit for it, it's very difficult to get a high score now, so comparisons with last gen titles are a bit difficult. This gen nothing comes close to Zelda's score.
92 was the best score this gen from Witcher 3, Uncharted 4 and also MGS5, which are alongside Bloodborne also the best games on Metacritic this generation.

robotrock

Banned
I listened to some of Dan Ryckert's impression on the Giant Beastcast, and it sounds like this is more kind of focused around the combat than it is about the puzzles? Just saying, he seemed like entered his first dungeon
after twenty hours
. Are other people saying stuff like this?

Seems very different for Zelda, but in a super exciting way

Coffinhal

Does it really matter if its 91 or 94? :/

People will discuss hours the metascores even if it doesn't has any sort of importance.

I'm baffled by the fact that debates about movies are (historically) based on long texts with a mix strong opinions, enthusiastic analysis and lyrical sentences (critique/review) ; but when it comes to video games even the most hardcore players are only talking about scores, benchmarks, comparisons, rankings and when it's not about that in review threads it's about the most insignificant technical aspects. There's no depth here. There a few good critiques (Killscreen.com in English, I know 2 to 3 websites in French) but they never are discussed with the same engagement as it is about knowing whether Zelda deserves 93 or 95, or what is the best hyperbole you can find in a review.

phanphare

Banned
I listened to some of Dan Ryckert's impression on the Giant Beastcast, and it sounds like this is more kind of focused around the combat than it is about the puzzles? Just saying, he seemed like entered his first dungeon
after twenty hours

it seems like traversing the world is a puzzle in and of itself

after twenty hours

does he like it?

after twenty hours

Some reviewer from Destructoid said that there are lots of (challenging) puzzles.
Can't find the quote though.

spekkeh

Banned
I don't get it.

BOTW is perhaps great, in my opinion, precisely because it's undoing the extensive damage that OOT caused to the Zelda series. It's ironic to say it's the best thing since then.
Thats a really... "unique" position to have though.

CrazyHorse

Take a look at what Gamespot’s Peter Brown, who just last week awarded Horizon a glowing 9/10, had to say. “…I really liked it [referring to Horizon Zero Dawn]. But playing Zelda is really making me question- jeez. Horizon is a great game, it’s a fantastic game. But next to this, it’s like, shoot! If I was to make a list about what I like about both these games, the Zelda one would be as twice as long, I think.”

Read more at http://gamingbolt.com/will-the-lege...wilds-release-affect-horizon-zero-dawns-sales

The problem here is that people forget how good Zelda games are and give other game 9s when they don't compare.

Jobbs

Banned
Thats a really... "unique" position to have though.

The Legend of Zelda was the original open world game. It didn't have a linear structure, it didn't guide you by the nose, it didn't rob you of every discovery. Largely it was the 3D era games that introduced this. BOTW is a return to original form.

killroy87

I don't get it.

BOTW is perhaps great, in my opinion, precisely because it's undoing the extensive damage that OOT caused to the Zelda series. It's ironic to say it's the best thing since then.

We're not going to do this, this is a happy zone. But make no mistake, you're opinion is wrong.

The Lamp

We're not going to do this, this is a happy zone. But make no mistake, you're opinion is wrong.

No no. He has a fair point.

The Legend of Zelda was the original open world game. It didn't have a linear structure, it didn't guide you by the nose, it didn't rob you of every discovery. Largely it was the 3D era games that introduced this. BOTW is a return to original form.

Caelus

The purpose of the towers.....

Nothing can escape that Ubisoft influence. >_>

We've known this for a long time. The towers only show you the topography of the area so you can identify high or low points in the region, they also serve as a convenient way of scouting the region and choosing where to paraglide to.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Cucurbitacée;231007776 said:
The big difference is that it only reveals the landscape of the area, it's up to you to put POI on the map (if you want).
So like the most recent Ubisoft games then?

cackhyena

Read more at http://gamingbolt.com/will-the-lege...wilds-release-affect-horizon-zero-dawns-sales

The problem here is that people forget how good Zelda games are and give other game 9s when they don't compare.

? No. A lot of times in the past, Zelda games haven't held up for me compared to a lot of games. Polish and charm? Sure. Beyond WW, I haven't been wowed by a 3d Zelda since Oot.

This one I'd believe as it seems to be setting a higher mark taking good, modern things from a lot of games and combining them.

CrazyHorse

? No. A lot of times in the past, Zelda games haven't held up for me compared to a lot of games. Polish and charm? Sure. Beyond WW, I haven't been wowed by a 3d Zelda since Oot.

This one I'd believe as it seems to be setting a higher mark taking good, modern things from a lot of games and combining them.

That's also a matter of opinion. I think TP ands MM are better than those other modern games which don't hold my attention - maybe it's my older age? WW is weak for me.

Top Bottom