• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Preview Thread

has there been any talk about if the game is still satisfying if you dont care about open world stuff or exploration or sidequests and just want to go through the dungeons 1 by 1? If there is only 4 that could be a problem with the game for some people (not me) unless they are very substantial

I'm less worried about performance and more worried about the graphics as shallow as that is. I hope it maintains graphical parity at 720p.
Performance will probably be worse, unfortunately. Also Switch de facto has more graphical detail, even when you take in consideration the E3 build with better indoor lighting, that's likely taken out of the final build in both versions.

I don't get it.

BOTW is perhaps great, in my opinion, precisely because it's undoing the extensive damage that OOT caused to the Zelda series. It's ironic to say it's the best thing since then.

You have a point. That's part of why I'm excited too. OOT did what it had to do partially due to hardware limitations but I'm glad they're finally changing it up.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I think I'm going in hard on this one. Pro Hud, turning off Shrine locator and only upgrading Stamina for as long as I can. It just seems like it will be such a joy and reward to really immerse myself and not rely on things like a Mini-Map and what not and just try to get lost and focus on the feedback from the game itself.

Gamepro also gave both versions the 94. And they usually drop the score by 1,2 points if one version is worse. So if there are differences they don't serm to be big.
The differences are big enough that a Switch version unaltered is better by default, but it seems to be that the experience is largely the same on both consoles despite the technical differences.

giphy.gif
CRq6k.gif

jariw

has there been any talk about if the game is still satisfying if you dont care about open world stuff or exploration or sidequests and just want to go through the dungeons 1 by 1? If there is only 4 that could be a problem with the game for some people (not me) unless they are very substantial

That would probably be embargoed, since there seem to be none of the previewers that played a dungeon during the first 5 hours of the game.

Astral Dog

The gAme is filled with over 100 mini dungeons 😃

Realeza

Banned
What are you guys doing while waiting for BOTW? I'm playing Ratchet and Clank, gonna watch Logan Thursday and have to finish a research paper for school. Gonna keep me busy! I asked for Friday off at work, so I'll play the living shit out of the game.

robotrock

Banned
What are you guys doing while waiting for BOTW? I'm playing Ratchet and Clank, gonna watch Logan Thursday and have to finish a research paper for school. Gonna keep me busy! I asked for Friday off at work, so I'll play the living shit out of the game.

trying to get tickets to see thundercat

Nothing. The wait is brutal. I can't play any other game while waiting for Zelda. :/

Trying to stay productive with some Wind Waker in the evenings.

robotrock

Banned

I'm buying Horizon with the $10 credit amazon gave me from cancelling my Master Edition order

Writing my research paper and doing my presentation on my paper.

As you can see time is moving way to fast for me because I need to finish before the 5th so I can enjoy Zelda lol. I actually wish the days want by slower

Working and being desperate. Right now I can barely play anything else without getting bored way too fast... I'll still play a bit of BF1 and Overwatch with my friends, but boy... it is not the same right now, I'm consumed by Zelda hype. I have next Friday off though, but I'll have to work the next weekend and that's going to be painful, even if I'll be able to play a little bit of Zelda at work (fucking yes).

Realeza

Banned
Writing my research paper and doing my presentation on my paper.

As you can see time is moving way to fast for me because I need to finish before the 5th so I can enjoy Zelda lol. I actually wish the days want by slower

Lmao. Same for me. I'm trying to advance schoolwork as much as I can so come March 3rd I won't be procrastinating due to Zelda.

I'm literally sitting at home reading what everyone else is doing ( plus some Netflix on the side :p )

Yesterday I tried playing The Last Guardain, but the jankiness made me dizzy.

DLaicH

Link is such a coward in this game lol

2CTSjf0.gif

Even after seeing this clip a bunch of times yesterday and today, I only just now noticed that the skeleton that gets tossed actually saves himself by hanging onto the ledge. You never see him fall all the way down into the water below.

Darkman M

Finish up on Nioh and play a bit of Horizon when it's out, should help the wait.

LotusHD

Banned
Even after seeing this clip a bunch of times yesterday and today, I only just now noticed that the skeleton that gets tossed actually saves himself by hanging onto the ledge. You never see him fall all the way down into the water below.

Ah, good point. I also saw this one video where someone remarked that even the heads of the skeletons have some tenacity to them. The guy said that the head fell off a cliff, but apparently it slowly managed to crawl its way back up.

Makai

Again, doesn't bother me too much as DS had tons of drops on console and I had no problems there.

But yeah, seems like most are just mentioning the mere existence of it rather than saying it's gamebreaking, so that's good.
Why have this attitude of "just deal with it?" Even small drops are a failure of programming. It really sucks and consistent framerates might be industry standard if more people weren't so quick to forgive it. I can only imagine if movies and shows didn't have a consumer expectation of steady animation and dipped below 24 or 60 intermittently - actually some do intentionally and it's the worst cinematography effect ever.

Why have this attitude of "just deal with it?" Even small drops are a failure of programming. It really sucks and consistent framerates might be industry standard if more people weren't so quick to forgive it. I can only imagine if movies and shows didn't have a consumer expectation of steady animation and dipped below 24 or 60 intermittently - actually some do intentionally and it's the worst cinematography effect ever.
That's not how it works. Often times, games have frame-rate problems because of how demanding they are

It does. Deep down inside people want to see where it ranks in the greatest of games and there's nothing wrong with that.

Everyone knows it's going to be a fantastic game. Tbf this gen reviewers have been harsher with their scores.

The Legend Of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time got several sub-perfect scores.

No game ever will receive unanimous perfect scores across the board.

Then they need to reduce the asset load.
Then you get people complaining about texture quality or other anomalies that aren't that big of a deal in the big scheme of things. There is no perfect balance, especially on a portable chip configuration.

The huge push toward perfect visual fidelity in both resolution and smoothness drives me bonkers because it won't be attainable for decades.

Kinsei

Banned
Eiji aonuma:

W E W

E

W

He's trying to sell the game so of course he'd say that.

I'm not saying that thi won;t be the ultimate Zelda game (Everything I've read points to it topping MM as my favorite), but you probably shouldn't use dev quotes to fuel your hype.

Top Bottom