• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Preview Thread

brad-t

Many people have been asking what exactly about this Zelda is so new or innovative. While I obviously haven't had the chance to play the game yet, I think it boils down to what Aonuma and Miyamoto declared as one of Zelda's two most defining characteristics: "a strong sense of place in the world." (The other was the feeling of getting stronger.)

I took a week off to play Breath of the Wild and had been joking to my coworkers that I'm taking a vacation to Hyrule. The more I see of the game, the less this feels like an exaggeration; Breath of the Wild seems to be the most fully-fleshed out game world of all time.

The world is not a backdrop for the things happening within it — it is the thing that's happening all the time. Nothing is decorative and everything in the world can be used in a functional way. Everything is alive and not only can you interact with it, but these elements all interact with each other too, often without your intervention.

None of this is to denigrate the accomplishments of other games nor to say that Breath of the Wild is the greatest game ever. But this is kind of what I always expected from the future of video games as a kid. It's unreal to see it coming to fruition.

Aroll

Forget edges score. This game will get a lot of perfect scores just like horizon.

The fact they say this is the best game in the whole series is stunning.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Haven't played many Ubi games recently but what Ubi games doesn't reveal all info when activating a "tower". This literally gives you what amounts to map topography here.
Cucurbitacée;231008084 said:
I can't tell, the last one I played is Assassin's Creed Unity and it was literally hiding the map under POI in max zoom out. Breath of the Wild leave the map blank when you unlock a tower.
Consider that ACU is a three year old game and they've released a ton more games past that. WD2 is a great example. Back on topic, Zelda seems more like a simulation than a game world. Enemy death permanence especially helps with that since you can clear out areas and they'd stay gone. The amount of things they simply thought about and implemented seems pretty unprecedented for an open world game in general let alone one from Japan.

You could read the impressions of people who have sat down and played the game for 10+ hours.

Anyways

PhonyAchingIbizanhound.gif

Cluck cluck motherfucker!

cackhyena

That's also a matter of opinion. I think TP ands MM are better than those other modern games which don't hold my attention - maybe it's my older age? WW is weak for me.
"shrug" I found TP, MM and SS intolerable after a period. WW had a charm and better sense of exploration I couldn't put down. I'm 35 now. I don't think it's an age thing. I think a lot of modern games ( although, I'm not even sure what we are comparing?) easily beat those out for my attention in a number of ways. I've thought most of the 3d Zelda's lost what the originals did, and dropped respect for the player with absurd, hand-holding tutorials that lasted an eternity. This game looks so far above and beyond. Like I said in the past, from reveal one, I've been excited.

robotrock

Banned
Has anyone commented on like, how much story is in this game? Cutscenes or whatever.

Because that trailer we saw at the Switch event seemed super story heavy, but I imagine it was just a megacut. Is it as sparse on story as an MGSV, or does it seem well balanced?

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Has anyone commented on like, how much story is in this game? Cutscenes or whatever.

Because that trailer we saw at the Switch event seemed super story heavy, but I imagine it was just a megacut. Is it as sparse on story as an MGSV, or does it seem well balanced?
Last three Zeldas had at least two hours of cutscenes but a lot of that was introducing the world so this may have way less aside from the flashbacks.

"shrug" I found TP, MM and SS intolerable after a period. WW had a charm and better sense of exploration I couldn't put down. I'm 35 now. I don't think it's an age thing. I think a lot of modern games ( although, I'm not even sure what we are comparing?) easily beat those out for my attention in a number of ways. I've thought most of the 3d Zelda's lost what the originals did, and dropped respect for the player with absurd, hand-holding tutorials that lasted an eternity. This game looks so far above and beyond. Like I said in the past, from reveal one, I've been excited.
I'm almost your age and agree ith the WW comments. MM is close behind for the 3D Zelda games. The others never really held my attention the way the 2d ones did. WW is soooo good.

This is all embargoed.

McNum

The amount of things they thought about tho...
Would equipping the torch and lighting it keep Link warmer?

Also, it just hit me that bombs can start fires, so if you have bombs, and there's grass in the snow area, it might be a way forward to be a mad chilly bomber.

Read more at http://gamingbolt.com/will-the-lege...wilds-release-affect-horizon-zero-dawns-sales

The problem here is that people forget how good Zelda games are and give other game 9s when they don't compare.

I haven't played a Zelda that was a 9 in my book since the N64 days. The series has been humming along in "decent to pretty good" territory for nearly 20 years. I can't blame it, since creating truly inspired, innovative landmarks is nearly impossible but let's not act like WW, TP and SS put the rest of the industry to shame.

Air

Banned
Would equipping the torch and lighting it keep Link warmer?

Also, it just hit me that bombs can start fires, so if you have bombs, and there's grass in the snow area, it might be a way forward to be a mad chilly bomber.

Yeah. If you light a torch link will be warmer.

robotrock

Banned
Cucurbitacée;231008392 said:
This is all embargoed.

nintendo!!!!!!

*shakes fists*

Last three Zeldas had at least two hours of cutscenes but a lot of that was introducing the world so this may have way less aside from the flashbacks.

I'd love a solid balance throughout the game if the story and writing is actually good. I'm asking way too much, but give me that naughty dog balance

The Third Heat

Neo Member
The Legend of Zelda was the original open world game. It didn't have a linear structure, it didn't guide you by the nose, it didn't rob you of every discovery. Largely it was the 3D era games that introduced this. BOTW is a return to original form.

I'd say A Link to the Past changed the Zelda formula first and to much acclaim, including a more linear structure. OoT simply brought that game into the 3D realm and quite successfully.

But I think the point Edge is making is that OoT was heralded upon release as a revolution in how we perceived a Zelda title, mainly for its leap into 3D and how well that translated. OoT didn't ruin Zelda, or at least no one at the time saw it that way; it was the lack of similar innovation in subsequent games that dimmed Zelda's light. Blaming OoT for Skyward Sword's malfunctions is like saying it's Super Mario Bros. fault that New Super Mario Bros U wasn't a good game.

Darkman M

Didn't need the edge review to tell me what my eyes could see and the feeling I got from the lastedtvtrailers and previews, it's really nice though! The more I see and hear the more happy I am I was able to land a Switch preorder. I want to feel that same feeling I felt nearly 18 years ago Xmas morning, and I think I will.

Are there quest markers in the game? Are they for story quest AND side quests? If there are quest markers, I'm assuming there's a quest log that you can choose the change the markers, right?

Makai

The Legend of Zelda was the original open world game. It didn't have a linear structure, it didn't guide you by the nose, it didn't rob you of every discovery. Largely it was the 3D era games that introduced this. BOTW is a return to original form.
Adventure on Atari predates it, and there may be other games before that.

Consider that ACU is a three year old game and they've released a ton more games past that. WD2 is a great example. Back on topic, Zelda seems more like a simulation than a game world. Enemy death permanence especially helps with that since you can clear out areas and they'd stay gone. The amount of things they simply thought about and implemented seems pretty unprecedented for an open world game in general let alone one from Japan.

They've actually gone one step further regarding something you mentioned.
It's already been spoiled for some but i strongly suggest waiting until you play the game.
If you can't wait....HUGE SPOILERS
Enemy death is permanent in some cases but it all depends on geographical location and the moon, there is a character who will tell you about certain moon phases to watch out for, one in particular is crazy, called the blood moon and brings the dead back to life but gradually during a very strange period of weather that looks like something from bloodborne mixed with flight of the navigators dangerous end journey.
I also think that during that particular night these reborn dead are particularly dangerous

Caelus

Are there quest markers in the game? Are they for story quest AND side quests? If there are quest markers, I'm assuming there's a quest log that you can choose the change the markers, right?

Quest markers for main story quests and Shiekah Towers only, it seems. Sidequests are recorded in your log but no quest markers, you set them yourself based on the info NPC's tell you.

I listened to some of Dan Ryckert's impression on the Giant Beastcast, and it sounds like this is more kind of focused around the combat than it is about the puzzles? Just saying, he seemed like entered his first dungeon
after twenty hours
. Are other people saying stuff like this?

Seems very different for Zelda, but in a super exciting way

GameXplain needed even longer to enter the first. I guess there are so many things to explore if you want to take your time. But I am pretty sure you can get there faster too. And there will be a lot of puzzles too, overworld and of course the shrines will offer that.

Sheroking

GameXplain needed even longer to enter the first. I guess there are so many things to explore if you want to take your time. But I am pretty sure you can get there faster too. And there will be a lot of puzzles too, overworld and of course the shrines will offer that.

I mean, this is kind of the Skyrim influence shining through. As mixed as the reception is for that game, I know people who have put 200 hours into it and never beaten it.

Astral Dog

I'd say A Link to the Past changed the Zelda formula first and to much acclaim, including a more linear structure. OoT simply brought that game into the 3D realm and quite successfully.

But I think the point Edge is making is that OoT was heralded upon release as a revolution in how we perceived a Zelda title, mainly for its leap into 3D and how well that translated. OoT didn't ruin Zelda, or at least no one at the time saw it that way; it was the lack of similar innovation in subsequent games that dimmed Zelda's light. Blaming OoT for Skyward Sword's malfunctions is like saying it's Super Mario Bros. fault that New Super Mario Bros U wasn't a good game.
But,super mario bros U was a good game? 😑

I think SS is too different from Ocarina to make a proper comparison anyways.

No, Nintendo did it first in wind Waker.
Not in the "tower" form, and that's a lot of people's point.

The thing with it, like many said, is that a lot of open worlds with similar techniques spoil you as soon as you uncover that part of the map, they take out the fun of discovering by giving you icons on the map, so you already know where there's stuff to see/do. I don't really mind it tbh, but I much prefer to make my own waypoints, to discover for myself, to go somewhere because it caught my attention and not because a point on the map appeared there. Also, running around the world and have those icons get closer on the minimap isn't as fun as running around the world and have something catching your eye, or simply surprise you. But yea, all my opinion of course.

robotrock

Banned

I assumed I would finish this game in a weekend but it seems pretty easy to just leisurely take your time with it. Awesome

jariw

Quest markers for main story quests and Shiekah Towers only, it seems. Sidequests are recorded in your log but no quest markers, you set them yourself based on the info NPC's tell you.

Wasn't there many more types of markers revealed before? Don't remember the source for where I saw that, though. Anyhow, you have a total of 100 markers to place where you want them on the map.

spekkeh

Banned
Well IIRC OoT wasn't completely linear, and if anything there was enough to do nonlinearly outside of the dungeons. That said I don't agree TLoZ was the original open world. You could not really plan your path in a contiguous world. You couldn't see the mountain or anything else beyond a few meters. There also wasn't any temporal influence, no day/night, no weather, no villages. It was more a puzzle game than a living breathing world. Now OoT was the real start of open world gaming, and as such BotW is the continuation and, as it appears, superlative of it.

Caelus

Wasn't there many more types of markers revealed before? Don't remember the source for where I saw that, though. Anyhow, you have a total of 100 markers to place where you want them on the map.

There are different icons to place like a sword, a treasure chest, a skull, etc. and I think markers are placed on a map when you visit a landmark e.g. it shows where a village is, but only after you've discovered it.

Spinluck

I don't get it.

BOTW is perhaps great, in my opinion, precisely because it's undoing the extensive damage that OOT caused to the Zelda series. It's ironic to say it's the best thing since then.

Perhaps, I've already voiced my opinions on 3D Zelda's, they're great but I feel that they are a lot more linear and feel more scripted than people realize.

OoT is known for laying down the foundation for a 3D adventure games on consoles, almost as much as M64. Lock on, traversal, combat, puzzles, time/day cycle, NPCs to interact with. It was all there almost 20 years ago. OoT got it right on the first try and then some. But it sacrificed the sense of wonder scale the 2D had and had a lot more hand holding. Skyward Sword marked the end of that era for Zelda, I feel like this is the next step, and boy does sound like they nailed it. In that sense, this is the biggest leap for the franchise since OoT, except that the level of compromise seems to be almost non-existent.

SomTervo

You said it has weather, dynamic systems, simmy stuff-- That's all great, but I'm not sure what's new. Someone else claimed the game is doing something completely new, so I asked what was new and so far haven't been told.

I'm not trying to bash the game. I think it looks great -- And while I'm super excited to play it and somewhat caught up in the hype myself, and I'll be playing it on the 3rd -- I'm not willing to believe it's some kind of revolution until I do play it. Nintendo has earned a skeptical eye from me.

So yeah, it looks cool -- I'm just a little flabbergasted by some of the hyperbole and declarative statements that are flying here, particularly from people who haven't played it yet.

I guess it's pretty new in that these things will impact your adventure. Warmer clothes when you go higher altitude, avoiding high points during lightning, trying to keep dry, rain affecting how well you can climb... I can't think of this being done in any other game.

They've built some apparently unprecedented depth into systems that aren't necessarily "original" themselves.

Not in the "tower" form, and that's a lot of people's point.

The thing with it, like many said, is that a lot of open worlds with similar techniques spoil you as soon as you uncover that part of the map, they take out the fun of discovering by giving you icons on the map, so you already know where there's stuff to see/do. I don't really mind it tbh, but I much prefer to make my own waypoints, to discover for myself, to go somewhere because it caught my attention and not because a point on the map appeared there. Also, running around the world and have those icons get closer on the minimap isn't as fun as running around the world and have something catching your eye, or simply surprise you. But yea, all my opinion of course.

Ah yeah, you're right!

I don't have anything against climbing towers to uncover the map as long as they don't spoil important places or dungeons.

Top Bottom