• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neoweee

If anything 10's are more common nowadays. especially last generation. 10s were rare as anything back in the day

Do you have numbers for this? The issue this gen is that they are distributed across more games, leaving to higher variance in the scores of "good" games, and thus lower averages for high-end games.

(After correcting for the the trend to integer scores out of 5 or 10)

Alrus

You mean I can play one of the highest rated games of this generation...

OUTSIDE!?

nut.jpg

Thanks for reminding me how horrible Sony was at marketing during the PS3/PSP era heh.

Let this be a lesson to all you 1080p60 folks.

Gameplay > Graphics.

Every. Single. Time.

Nintendo just told the industry that the way they have been making games is no longer good enough.
I can only half-agree with this because I do love me a smooth framerate even if I don't care that much about graphics.

Garbage FPS (along with dogshit controls) is the reason I can't play The Last Guardian for long.

I can't tell if you're bullshitting but frames do affect gameplay and Zelda would be better at 60fps.

The idea that it must be the best graphically or so many frames to be good has just been obliterated. The Switch, a portable system, just released the greatest game of all time and beat every single AAA effort on PS4, PC, and Xbox. The greatest game of all time mantle is now held by a portable game.

Afrodium

Banned
Let this be a lesson to all you 1080p60 folks.

Gameplay > Graphics.

Every. Single. Time.

Nintendo just told the industry that the way they have been making games is no longer good enough.

It's ironic that after many threads lamenting the lack of "next-gen gameplay" in the latest wave of consoles, the first game that looks to truly shake things up is capable of running on hardware barely more powerful than the PS3/360.

The game really must be something special. Like, I even agree that Zelda scores might often be inflated, but seriously even Zelda games have their critics and get some lower scores. I'm sure this will have some lower scores too, but the complete lack of them so far is pretty telling.

That said, I'm still tempering my expectations. Not healthy to jump in fully hyped.

Seriously though, it must feel amazing for a creator to see such incredible critical acclaim for your game.

Majmun

The idea that it much be the best graphically or so many frames to be good has just been obliterated. The Switch, a portable system, just released the greatest game of all time and beat every single AAA effort on PS4, PC, and Xbox. The greatest game of all time mantle is now held by a portable game.

The hyperbole

Cool down lmao

Tagyhag

I'm not a fan of the Zelda series at all, I wonder if I would enjoy this one since it strays from the other games.

The idea that it much be the best graphically or so many frames to be good has just been obliterated. The Switch, a portable system, just released the greatest game of all time and beat every single AAA effort on PS4, PC, and Xbox. The greatest game of all time mantle is now held by a portable game.

No one is saying that, it's just that the game would be better if it was 4K/60fps locked.

Would it not be?

I can't help but think that getting hundreds of dollars worth of gear from Nintendo for free before it was out would impact my score on a game.

The idea that it must be the best graphically or so many frames to be good has just been obliterated. The Switch, a portable system, just released the greatest game of all time and beat every single AAA effort on PS4, PC, and Xbox. The greatest game of all time mantle is now held by a portable game.

Dude, just stop. You're embarrassing yourself.

I'm not a fan of the Zelda series at all, I wonder if I would enjoy this one since it strays from the other games.

No one is saying that, it's just that the game would be better if it was 4K/60fps locked.

Would it not be?

8K/120fps locked.

All that shit doesn't matter. What matters is the gameplay. At some point that's all graphical masturbation and that's why the industry has been in a rut when so many gamers get stuck on that bullshit.

Bl@de

8K/120fps locked.

All that shit doesn't matter. What matters is the gameplay. At some point that's all graphical masturbation and that's why the industry has been in a rut when so many gamers get stuck on that bullshit.

I think image quality makes it easier to notice all the details and is easier on the eyes. So yes, it does matter. Is it the most important thing? No.

I think image quality makes it easier to notice all the details and is easier on the eyes. So yes, it does matter. Is it the most important thing? No.

I agree. Some have gotten lost in the graphical weeds seeing performance as the only metric worth paying attention to in games. Those are the folks I'm talking about.

Tagyhag

Do you have a Wii U? This should be pretty easy to rent at your local video rental joints or Red Box I'd imagine.

Nah but this game could persuade me to get a Switch this holiday along with Mario instead of waiting, I'll have to see more gameplay. I've gave Zelda a shot many times (OOT, Wind Waker, Hourglass, Twilight) but it just never holds my attention for longer than 2-3 hours.

8K/120fps locked.

But framerate IS gameplay. If I showed you a game being played at 5fps, and another at 60fps, do you feel like both would control the same? Feel the same? Be the exact same amount of fun?

SuperHans

So currently its the best game ever :( But its 70 quid and I don't have a switch and don't want to play the inferior Wii U version.

aBarreras

I agree. Some have gotten lost in the graphical weeds seeing performance as the only metric worth paying attention to in games. Those are the folks I'm talking about.

i dont think that there such people

but yes, when someone gets in here and the only thing he can argue or say is that "but the frame rate tho" i dont care about that person opinion

Nah but this game could persuade me to get a Switch this holiday along with Mario instead of waiting, I'll have to see more gameplay.

But framerate IS gameplay. If I showed you a game being played at 5fps, and another at 60fps, do you feel like both would control the same? Feel the same? Be the exact same amount of fun?
While I enjoy higher framerates that is an extreme example. At 5 fps it's a slideshow.

Sheroking

Certainly frame-rate and IQ matter. On PC, I have incredible difficulty playing things below 60fps. The experience is just flat out better.

That being said, my favorite game ever is a Zelda game that runs at 24fps all of the time. One of my favorite games last gen was Dark Souls, which on console (the only version that existed for years), dipped to 15 frames per second in multiple places. There are many great games that have dips. I can tolerate it on console. It won't "break" the experience for me.

It's not like the game runs at 20fps constantly. It has some stutters in crowded areas or with lots on screen every once in a while, and in this game it even sounds like we can correct those problems by going to mobile.

DMONKUMA

Holy shit. What a post....

P90

It was before with Persona 4G, also. No surprises.

Back OT. I'm looking forward to being my BotW campaign tomorrow on my pre-ordered Switch.

Formosa

fuck! I cancelled my Switch day one preorder from Bestbuy 2 days ago... Now I regret so much after seeing the Zelda reviews.

gamerMan

It's ironic that after many threads lamenting the lack of "next-gen gameplay" in the latest wave of consoles, the first game that looks to truly shake things up is capable of running on hardware barely more powerful than the PS3/360.

You are right, this is what "next gen" game play is. It's not about aliasing, resolution, and narrative. Next gen game play should be improvements in game design, physics, and AI.

Still, I think you are selling it short. Nintendo has chosen to use the additional horse power for AI and physics. Although you can't really see it visually, it is still very taxing on the hardware since you are running it on every entity in the game world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom