• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

silva1991

C57oXErWcAAvJz7.jpg:large

I'm done.

Haha.

Firemind

You are right, this is what "next gen" game play is. It's not about aliasing, resolution, and narrative. Next gen gameplay should be improvements in game design, physics, and AI.

Still, I think you are selling it short. Nintendo has chosen to use the additional horse power for AI and physics. Although you can't really see it visually, it is still very taxing on the hardware since you are running it on every entity in the game world.
Yeah all those chickens aren't going to fly themselves.

Charamiwa

Banned
people keep bringing him up but Jim never lets his personal grievances with a company cloud his reviews. if it's a good game and he likes it it'll get good marks. if not then it won't.

I guess you're right but lately he's been especially confrontational with Nintendo. Like first thing he did on twitter today upon seeing the reviews is making fun of Nintendo fans not being able to handle a 8/10 that will probably come. Then had a podcast up with "Breath of the Wild 12/10!!!!!" as a title. He seems a bit obsessed lol.

Maybe I should have more faith in him, I'm sure his review will be good.

It's ironic that after many threads lamenting the lack of "next-gen gameplay" in the latest wave of consoles, the first game that looks to truly shake things up is capable of running on hardware barely more powerful than the PS3/360.
Nah, Blood Borne and MGSV are classics IMO. Zelda is the first to shake things up in the open-world genre, which is basically the hot ticket this generation.

I actually think the Zelda vs. Horizon thing is very interesting if we can move passed the fanboy nonsense of it being on two different platforms. Its an interesting case of design philosophies in the gaming industry.

andymcc

Banned
I agree. Some have gotten lost in the graphical weeds seeing performance as the only metric worth paying attention to in games. Those are the folks I'm talking about.

It's weird to see this when Nintendo fans seemed to be eager to shit on graphics during the 16-bit generation. Maybe that abuse of mode7 rotation finally had a mental effect.

I agree. Some have gotten lost in the graphical weeds seeing performance as the only metric worth paying attention to in games. Those are the folks I'm talking about.

Those folks do not exist. That's just how you've chosen to paint people who care about performance more than you do, because it's easier to ridicule them or dismiss their valid opinions and concerns that way.
I'm so hyped for Zelda, but PC is where I do most of my gaming, and as someone who peruses PC-centric threads, I'm all too familiar with this happy horseshit! It's the lamest straw man that ever caught on at GAF, and the most commonly trotted out.

Formosa

I HATE YOU. YOU SQUANDERED A GOOD THING I WISH I HAD!

And I'll be in line tonight at a Best Buy lol. See you there!

Sorry mate :/ I was going to make a post here to offer one of you my preorder, but somehow I just cancelled it. Ya a lot of bestbuys will have them in stock tonight. I called my local one in NY, and they say they will have a lot for people w/o preorder.

The Hermit

No one is saying that, it's just that the game would be better if it was 4K/60fps locked.

Would it not be?

If you go by that metric all games are worse then it should be. And that includes Half Life 2, The Last of Us, GTAV, Dark Souls and ocarina of Time.

This game apparently (since I haven't played yet, but a lot did) set out things and accomplish them. This is not a GTAV for Ps3/xbox360 case, where the framerate doesn't affect the gameplay.

It's a very valid criticism, but it doesn't deny the whole game.

totowhoa

Banned
Sorry mate :/ I was going to make a post here to offer one of you my preorder, but somehow I just cancelled it. Ya a lot of bestbuys will have them in stock tonight. I called my local one in NY, and they say they will have a lot for people w/o preorder.

Aha it's all good. I just wish I'd taken off work tomorrow!

joms5

The idea that it must be the best graphically or so many frames to be good has just been obliterated. The Switch, a portable system, just released the greatest game of all time and beat every single AAA effort on PS4, PC, and Xbox. The greatest game of all time mantle is now held by a portable game.

Portable game?

laughing-girls.jpg

You do realize this was a Wii U game right?

Aaron D.

The idea that it must be the best graphically or so many frames to be good has just been obliterated. The Switch, a portable system, just released the greatest game of all time and beat every single AAA effort on PS4, PC, and Xbox. The greatest game of all time mantle is now held by a portable game.

Holy Straw Man, Batman.

Wowzers.

'Gaf delivers.

Grakl

It's weird to see this when Nintendo fans seemed to be eager to shit on graphics during the 16-bit generation. Maybe that abuse of mode7 rotation finally had a mental effect.

yeah man I remember shitting on competitor graphics before I was even born, lmao SNES was the best!

Nah but this game could persuade me to get a Switch this holiday along with Mario instead of waiting, I'll have to see more gameplay. I've gave Zelda a shot many times (OOT, Wind Waker, Hourglass, Twilight) but it just never holds my attention for longer than 2-3 hours.

But framerate IS gameplay. If I showed you a game being played at 5fps, and another at 60fps, do you feel like both would control the same? Feel the same? Be the exact same amount of fun?

Framerate is more about optimization, which is what developers and enthusiasts should be focused on, not gamers. You can be all of the above, but I wouldn't strap that on a focus for what makes a good game.

Does it matter to us? Well, hell yeah, if I can't control a game well enough to appreciate it, it doesn't matter how good it is. But, there is a level of well-balanced acceptance on both ends. If a game isn't fun, I don't give a shit if it's the best looking thing I've ever seen.

SuperSah

Banned
I can't believe it.

It's going to be incredible, isn't it? I've not read reviews this positive in my life. I am so ready. Bring tomorrow on.

Raven117

Don't nevah change Gaf.

I for one am looking forward to playing this and seeing what the "open world" looks like to Nintendo.

No more....No Less.

None of this "best game in 20 years" type expectation. Just...what does Nintendo have in mind for this.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

You're putting in a lot of work today.

I'll wait to play it on the Switch 3 in 2025 when a Nintendo console can run this game at 1080p60.

In reality I can't wait. In an ideal world however, a game that looks like this in 2017 should be running at 1080p30 locked at least in docked mode.

720p30 is fine for handheld.

Critically, this is literally the best game ever made.

I wonder if this will be the first game that doesn't get the post-release hate from a lot of people on GAF. That would be amazing.

Qassim

total straw man

Arturo

What a weekend… Horizon Zero Dawn on one hand and BotW on the other. Yay!

I can't tell if you're bullshitting but frames do affect gameplay and Zelda would be better at 60fps.

True. But why doesn't it affect review scores then?

Not trolling, honest question.

wildfire

Banned
as you talk about Breath of the Wild with your friends, there’s one word that will rarely if ever come up: “can’t.”

Congrats to Nintendo. Late to the party but the first to create a "truly" open world game.

Man this industry is slow.

With the incredible variety of gameplay on offer, it’s understandable why Nintendo cleared the Switch launch schedule for Zelda. There’s a good chance you’ll be absorbed in everything it has to offer all the way up until the release of Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

But what if I really don't want to buy Zelda?

dd5996c7bc36801d5dc054d1af1ecf1d.png

Crayolan

I guess you're right but lately he's been especially confrontational with Nintendo. Like first thing he did on twitter today upon seeing the reviews is making fun of Nintendo fans not being able to handle a 8/10 that will probably come. Then had a podcast up with "Breath of the Wild 12/10!!!!!" as a title. He seems a bit obsessed lol.

Maybe I should have more faith in him, I'm sure his review will be good.

Jim loves to troll people.

He doesn't let his trolling get in the way of appreciating good games though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom