• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

gamerMan

I can't believe how people were saying that the Switch launch was the weak or that this is a Zelda machine. This is no ordinary game. What gets me excited about this game is that this is just the start of Nintendo's transformation to the modern era. The potential for the Switch is unreal. What is the best developer in the world going to do next?

Anth0ny

eArxq7B.jpg

oh jesus christ

the hyperbole is so out of control right now

Alienous

I can't believe how people were saying that the Switch launch was the weak or that this is a Zelda machine. This is no ordinary game. What gets me excited about this game is that this is just the start of Nintendo's transformation to the modern era. The potential for the Switch is unreal. What is the best developer in the world going to do next?

I don't know but it probably isn't an announced Mario game.

Mory Dunz

I'm assuming everyone taking a dump on THPS2 was born in 2003 or something.

I'm very pleasently surprised by the reception Zelda is getting though. I thought it would be low 80's. Picked it up this morning and hoping for the best - I've never been an open world man though, so it's likely I'll enjoy it much less than most critics.

..wait why would you think a mainline zelda game would be low 80s, when it's literally never happened before? Even Phantom Hour glass and spirit tracks around around 90.

it'd have to be pretty horrible by zelda standards

For sure. Huge Nintendo fan. It's just blowing my mind I'm basically buying it for this game right now. Usually I wouldn't have a problem waiting but I can't wait for this one. Gonna be catching some fan boy shit from my friends for a while tho lol.

This is me every generation when I can't not get a Nintendo console for reasons such as this new Zelda. Even though most of my time is spent gaming on PC with them, I don't escape the Zelda fan boy callout (with good humor). I think my excitement was too much this time, since this is the first time one of my friends will be buying a Nintendo console at launch because of Zelda. lol

Coffinhal

lol, Zelda got inspired from a decade of open world games (from Assassin's Creed to The Witcher 3 basically) and made a great mix out of this genre to fit the sense of adventure of a Zelda game, not the same way around. It's a total shift in strategy (and game design) for Nintendo, at least on the Zelda brand, thanks to an understanding of the potential of open worlds games.

The hype is clouding some minds here (sorry to tell you this when everyone has been touching themselves with 10/10 for a 110 pages now)

lt519

No score obviously, because waypoint boyyyyyys (and girls), but Austin is straight up head over heels for this game (which was telegraphed a bit in recent podcasts). Great write up here: https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/breath-of-the-wild-is-the-zelda-adventure-ive-always-wanted

there's an audio version too, and you can tell he damn near gets choked up just recalling some of these experiences and reiterating some of his thoughts. this FUCKING game

Damn he is gushing, I want to lock myself away and play for weeks haha.

Realeza

Banned
lol, Zelda got inspired from a decade of open world games (from Assassin's Creed to The Witcher 3 basically) and made a great mix out of this genre to fit the sense of adventure of a Zelda game, not the same way around. It's a total shift in strategy (and game design) for Nintendo, at least on the Zelda brand, thanks to an understanding of the potential of open worlds games.

The hype is clouding some minds here (sorry to tell you this when everyone has been touching themselves with 10/10 for a 110 pages now)

Which were inspired by the open world games that were inspired by the original Zelda. It goes back to the origins of the franchise, dog.

Aldric

No score obviously, because waypoint boyyyyyys (and girls), but Austin is straight up head over heels for this game (which was telegraphed a bit in recent podcasts). Great write up here: https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/breath-of-the-wild-is-the-zelda-adventure-ive-always-wanted

there's an audio version too, and you can tell he damn near gets choked up just recalling some of these experiences and reiterating some of his thoughts. this FUCKING game

l've read at least three reviews that mention that one particular island and the crazy stuff happening on it, without any specifics being given. Goddamn l can't wait to play that game.

I forgot the embargo lifted today and came on GAF to see all these spectacular reviews...
I'm so happy to see BotW knocking it out of the park. I neeeed it. :')

I'm legitimately wondering about this. I haven't played any open world games before, and I'm wondering: is Zelda really so different from them? What makes it that much better?

Don't get me wrong: I'm really excited for BotW. But it did always seem to me like just another open world game with some extra Zelda flavor. What about its game design really differentiates it?

Anth0ny

You've been saying this since before the reviews were unleashed. Chill dog.

I've been saying it because it's true!

nothing can touch chat Mario 64 did for game design. NOTHING. that's a once in a lifetime paradigm shift. BOTW is not that, nor does it have to do that to be considered an incredible game.

I have the Switch since yesterday, got home today just now, and am now so hyped that I'm thinking of buying Zelda Digitally instead of waiting 7 hours. Why did they have to turn the store on and tempt me?

LotusHD

Banned
I'm legitimately wondering about this. I haven't played any open world games before, and I'm wondering: is Zelda really so different from them? What makes it that much better?

Don't get me wrong: I'm really excited for BotW. But it did always seem to me like just another open world game with some extra Zelda flavor. What about its game design really differentiates it?

Read them reviews breh

Wallach

I have the Switch since yesterday, got home today just now, and am now so hyped that I'm thinking of buying Zelda Digitally instead of waiting 7 hours. Why did they have to turn the store on and tempt me?

Whatcha think about the Switch hardware? I'm especially curious how comfortable the thing is in handheld mode. It'll probably get more use in that form than docked.

Enzo88

This looks salty as hell, especially from somebody that most probably didn't play the game yet. You should hope It's true, that would mean that the game is amazing,instead you look upset about it...

lots and lots of press peeps and critics are attempting to find the right words to answer you as we speak, or have published their attempts. Some do a better job than others. Austin Walker has some choice nuggets to share. But I think the short answer is just fucking magic, like a game that walks the impossible line of being both intensely and masterfully hand-crafted and deliberate but ridiculously open-ended with intentional potential for wild, engaging and fascinating emergent shit that you feel like the author of?

fuck idk ive only played a combined ~50 mins of the plateau demo

Dystify

oh jesus christ

the hyperbole is so out of control right now

Did you even look at the reviews? Scores this high aren't a standard thing in this industry. If it makes you feel any better, GTA did also inspire other games for a decade plus. (And is still doing so, just like SM64/OOT still do.)

goldenpp72

Where do you think those games were inspired from? I'll wait.

Whatcha think about the Switch hardware? I'm especially curious how comfortable the thing is in handheld mode. It'll probably get more use in that form than docked.

Its heavier than I thought it would be. I think I'm going to prefer that to the clip-on controller thing. I didn't get a pro-controller though, so its my only option if I play on my TV for now.

Griss

I hope that in the future, people also mention the Far Cry and Just Cause series, because those are the two that BotW reminds me most of.

In particular, there are a ton of features straight out of Far Cry, which might be a coincidence if it was just one feature, but multiple features means it was an obvious inspiration.

These are
-The towers
-The scope that lets you tag and log things
-The emergent fire gameplay
You could even add the parasailer (that's in Far Cry) and the basic collecting herbs to craft shit to keep you healthy.

It's very, very similar to Far Cry except you have way more vertical options and the combat gameplay is obviously totally different.

As for Just Cause, flying super high in a ludicrously big world with level design that's supposed to speak to you from that height (certain places just scream 'land here!' with X's or whatnot) and dropping bombs into camps, firing cannons to destroy a destructible platform with enemies on it, just raising havoc... very Just Cause 2 to me.

Wow....crazy in this day and age to see a score that's literally almost perfect everywhere. Fantastic job Nintendo, I knew while watching the demo at E3 last year that this was gonna be something special and amazing and it's really awesome to know that many reviewers think it is! Can't wait to play tomorrow!!!!

guek

Banned

Maybe you should stop talking until you play it yourself

Wallach

Its heavier than I thought it would be. I think I'm going to prefer that to the clip-on controller thing. I didn't get a pro-controller though, so its my only option if I play on my TV for now.

Have you tried just playing with the JoyCon free? Kind of like a Wii & nunchuk? I used to really like playing the Wii because that was an option.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
There isn't allowed to be any good new games, these reviewers are blind fanboys.

joecanada

Let this be a lesson to all you 1080p60 folks.

Gameplay > Graphics.

Every. Single. Time.

Nintendo just told the industry that the way they have been making games is no longer good enough.

well personally I score steady framerates as part of gameplay because jank and jitter give me headaches/dizziness like GTA san andreas on ps4 couldn't play it although it's my favorite of all.
But it doesn't make the game story and world less impressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom