• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

skypunch

Banned
Glad to read this. I haven't heard much about the quality of the story so far, but it's nice to know that it's in line with the bar set by the rest of the game (although, if it wasn't the game would be scoring lower I suppose?).

REALLY can't wait!

Very odd to hear that considering the Eurogamer review:
You'll also learn more about what happened 100 years ago (Link is an amnesiac, of course) in a series of cutscenes. If Breath of the Wild has one weakness, it's as a story. The grand events of the past seem remote from the teeming world around you, not to mention rather hackneyed, while the English voice acting - sparingly used, thankfully - is stiff and cheesy. Unlike such soulful adventures as Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask, Breath of the Wild isn't unduly interested in ordinary people and their stories, and it musters neither the poignant little vignettes nor the strong emotional tenor of those games. It doesn't have the memorable characters and simple, pure narrative purpose of The Wind Waker, either.

Crazyorloco

I didn't review the game, but we agreed as a site if Nintendo fixes the issues, we will update the score to a 4 out of 5.

Did they play post patch? Seems like it improves the frame rate a little.

And what does it need for the 5 if that is he main issue?

Piggus

LOL. I remember when he was at Gamespot and gave Twilight Princess a score in the 8's. People looked at his old reviews like the mediocre State of Emergency and saw that he also gave it 8.something and were pissed.

Good times

Honestly though....it is best if he doesn't review Zelda games.

Calling State of Emergency mediocre is giving that piece of trash game way too much credit. :p I don't know what the hell Rockstar was thinking.

Burny

If we get a site posting 5/10 or 2.5/5, we will get people praising it for being oblivious to the Zelda brand and being honest. Soon..

Of course. Whatever suits your views of the world and your personal narrative. It's easier to discredit things that don't fit into your narrative as somehow 'false', than to use your brain to even try understanding not to mention accepting that they're very much true for other people.

Speely

Banned
I concur. I'm looking forward to hearing Gerstmann out on the stream tomorrow or the Bombcast next week just because he's more subdued on it than others. I don't agree with his views on some other Zelda games and I doubt this will be the one where we line up, but I appreciate his viewpoint nonetheless (even if I think his tendency towards needless hyperbole [Majora isn't a 'real' Zelda] can make it hard sometimes.)

Jeff is a treasure for gaming, even when I disagree with him.

I'll be honest I'm just here for the hype train. I've already decided to buy the game so I'll decide for myself if it's good or not.

As it should be.

Crom

Calling State of Emergency mediocre is giving that piece of trash game way too much credit. :p I don't know what the hell Rockstar was thinking.

I was being generous. I hated State of Emergency personally but I know of others who thought it was OK.

RK128

I didn't read the whole topic, reading further my suspicions were confirmed it's not a reputable site anyways so my bad. Nothing against hobby projects and such.

We are a good site though :(.

Sigh.....I said this many times already but we are looking into the grammar issues and fixing them right now. I'm sorry you did not enjoy our content.

Pyrokai

Nay. It's Mario/ Zelda/ Metroid.

Not necessary for me personally (DKC, Splatoon, Pikmin). But those 3 franchises hold Nintendo's critical darlings.

I'd almost say DK is critical to their existence as well, but that would disrupt the balance of the Triforce---I mean trinity :p

Is the exact timeline placement known now? Maybe someone can put spoiler tags around the answer for me or PM? Very curious!

Can't wait to play this on Wii U after MEA. What a year for gaming.

Crom

Wait he actually said Majora isn't a real Zelda? What? Lol

He also gave Majora's Mask a 8.3 and State of Emergency a higher score. You should have seen the fireworks back in the day hahaha

His TP review years later was the last straw for people (even though it was more fair)

gamerMan

We are a smaller site and I honestly did most of the writing in 2016. We got new writers on board and we are still growing. I went through the review just now and made needed grammar changes. I did not write the review and we do not have an editor yet.

I'm am sorry if you have issues with our content but I assure you we are not a click-bait site; we are trying hard to provide quality content. The site is small and only started growing heavily last year.

Good luck. I know how hard it is to start a site.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Gosh dang 10s from everyone. I'm buying a Switch by e3

There goes any hope Horizon competes with Zelda lol

Reviewers: "Horizon Zero Dawn might be most fun you'll have in an open world game this year".

Nintendo:"Hold my beer".

Good times for adventuring!

Karu

Why do people keep saying this, do yall know what games came out in 2014? smash 4, mario kart, bayonetta 2, donkey kong TF.
Wii U in 2014, nuff' said. How can people expect games on that console at the time seriously making a dent onto public perception. Sure, they got great scores, but if "no one" (quotation marks!) plays them for themselves and is left with what we got, then of course the year in review will look pretty bland for most. This goes also for niche PC RPGs and the likes. For a year to go down in history or even be recognized as great by the majority of people, there have to be at least a few memorable heavy hitters that hit the mainstream. So, I think that is the reason why people keep saying that.

Speely

Banned

Sigh.....I said this many times already but we are looking into the grammar issues and fixing them right now. I'm sorry you did not enjoy our content.

Buddy... Head up and always forward. This is a bad thread by which to judge yourself, but it might also be a good way to throw yourself into the fire and use the resulting data for future revisions :) Gamers are prickly pears.

VanWinkle

Gosh dang 10s from everyone. I'm buying a Switch by e3

There goes any hope Horizon competes with Zelda lol

Horizon got great reviews and is a wonderful game. Anybody playing either of these games (or both, like me) are very likely to have a great time. No reason to try to put it down.

Malus

Lol it's alright. A few grammar errors don't exactly change much in terms of the review's content. I think most people still here just wanna see where the metascore settles.

Qblivion

Technically not a review, but Austin Walker's take on the game has me pretty hyped.
https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/breath-of-the-wild-is-the-zelda-adventure-ive-always-wanted

For all of these reasons, Breath of the Wild feels like a descendant of games like Far Cry 2 and Dragon's Dogma, games that emphasize making player expressivity joyful even (especially?) when things are going poorly. It lets me "break" the game with my nonsense in a way that reminds me of Morrowind's spell creation, and it rewards me for internalizing how the enemies and environment work the way Shiren the Wanderer once did. I do not make any of these comparisons lightly. It does not just aspire to be like these games that are in my personal canon of favorites, it does not only remind me of them, it belongs with them.

He sounds super salty about Zelda for some reason like SUPER SALTY. Like a super hero with an S on his chest for Super Salty Man.

and i don't even know why, he went from being positive saying the game was looking good, to bad, to good, to bad again. Now acting absolutely antagonistic against the game, when the work monolith did in this game could very well even help xenoblade 2.

goldenpp72

I'm not trying to be a dick, I don't visit a lot of sites these days but, seeing a review like this http://3wirel.com/2017/02/03/dustforce-review-pc-ps-vita-xbox-360-ps3/

And a bunch of others, I dunno, it just seems odd. True, I didn't play Zelda yet, but it seems almost impossible that it could be a 7 in contrast to something like that being better is all. Also as someone with a lot of experience with Skylanders.

http://3wirel.com/2017/01/14/skylan...laystation-3-xbox-360-wii-u-wii-ps4-xbox-one/

Along with Bionic commando, etc being rated superior. Obviously opinions, people, etc vary, but the site seems extremely generous towards lesser loved titles while dumping on what will be a landmark title of a generation. It seems suspicious, but you can stick to your guns and roll with it.

I beat Bionic Commando by the way, very under rated, but it's not better than any Zelda game as a product. I don't want to be 'that guy' who flips out over a bad review though, as you won't see me doing that in any topic, it just seems very odd to make this one, the one you get rough on. Games like Skylanders or BC are very 'good' kinds of games that are basic and interesting but not great in execution, games like Zelda reach for the stars and on occasion flies right passed them, they are the epitome of the industry, but maybe when I run through it starting tomorrow i'll find it ho hum as well.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
and i don't even know why, he went from being positive saying the game was looking good, to bad, to good, to bad again. Now acting absolutely antagonistic against the game, when the work monolith did in this game could very well even help xenoblade 2.

How's helping design mountains and terrains going to change the writing or gameplay of XenoBlade? Not that I have a problem with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom