• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Skypunch has a bad reputation among the Xenoblade gamefaqs and Reddit forums , it's hilarious to see his salt towards Zelda being so criticaly acclaimed here on neogaf. I wil never understand people like that, like can't you be happy and excited a game seems to be so well received lol

Crom

I'm not trying to be a dick, I don't visit a lot of sites these days but, seeing a review like this http://3wirel.com/2017/02/03/dustforce-review-pc-ps-vita-xbox-360-ps3/

And a bunch of others, I dunno, it just seems odd. True, I didn't play Zelda yet, but it seems almost impossible that it could be a 7 in contrast to something like that being better is all. Also as someone with a lot of experience with Skylanders.

http://3wirel.com/2017/01/14/skylan...laystation-3-xbox-360-wii-u-wii-ps4-xbox-one/

Along with Bionic commando, etc being rated superior. Obviously opinions, people, etc vary, but the site seems extremely generous towards lesser loved titles while dumping on what will be a landmark title of a generation. It seems suspicious, but you can stick to your guns and roll with it.

I beat Bionic Commando by the way, very under rated, but it's not better than any Zelda game as a product. I don't want to be 'that guy' who flips out over a bad review though, as you won't see me doing that in any topic, it just seems very odd to make this one, the one you get rough on.

Some sites want clicks. If they give a score that stands out they are going to get more clicks than usual. Not sure if this is the case here...but something to keep in mind

RK128

I'm not trying to be a dick, I don't visit a lot of sites these days but, seeing a review like this http://3wirel.com/2017/02/03/dustforce-review-pc-ps-vita-xbox-360-ps3/

And a bunch of others, I dunno, it just seems odd. True, I didn't play Zelda yet, but it seems almost impossible that it could be a 7 in contrast to something like that being better is all. Also as someone with a lot of experience with Skylanders.

http://3wirel.com/2017/01/14/skylan...laystation-3-xbox-360-wii-u-wii-ps4-xbox-one/

Along with Bionic commando, etc being rated superior. Obviously opinions, people, etc vary, but the site seems extremely generous towards lesser loved titles while dumping on what will be a landmark title of a generation. It seems suspicious, but you can stick to your guns and roll with it.

I beat Bionic Commando by the way, very under rated, but it's not better than any Zelda game as a product. I don't want to be 'that guy' who flips out over a bad review though, as you won't see me doing that in any topic, it just seems very odd to make this one, the one you get rough on.

I have to repeat myself here: I did not review breath of the wild. Those reviews you listed are from myself. I rated those games. So of course there will be differences between stuff I review and others on the site.

I feel stupid even posting the review here now. Look, the writer for the review is more critical toward games then I am. So the harsher score reflects that.

Sorry if everyone here doesn't like the content we produce at 3WIREL but we will take feedback and ensure we consider it when writing future content.

guek

Banned
and i don't even know why, he went from being positive saying the game was looking good, to bad, to good, to bad again. Now acting absolutely antagonistic against the game, when the work monolith did in this game could very well even help xenoblade 2.

People tend to become ingrained further and further the more they feel they're being attacked. It was likely gradual, starting from moments of doubt to full blown salt over being told he/she is wrong.

and i don't even know why, he went from being positive saying the game was looking good, to bad, to good, to bad again. Now acting absolutely antagonistic against the game, when the work monolith did in this game could very well even help xenoblade 2.
Yeah Im not understanding..
I'm not salty at all. I can't wait to play BotW and admire Monolith Soft's work on the world design/topography.
Yeah i guess you are acting up dude, like a child

I'm pretty sure it objectively helped monolith and Nintendo's other studios, the tech for riding creatures were made in this game first and are being used in Xenoblade 2 as well.

Don't talk about skypunch. I don't know what his problem is. He only likes Monolith Soft and only give them credit. I'm sorry, but I love Xenoblade, but it's never going to do this good. He always starts problems with Xenoblade music and the voice actors being British.

thsantos

The Bad Hombres Gaming review will make him happy

And he made my block button happy. Can't stand these nintendo haters who blindly talk shit. Not even one real argument comes out of their heads.

Man, 98... What a blast for Nintendo. What a start for the Switch.

Malus

I really should stop going in this thread, I keep picking up on random game details I'm trying to be blacked out on lol.

But the drama train is almost as fun as the hype train.

skypunch

Banned
Don't talk about skypunch. I don't know what his problem is. He only likes Monolith Soft and only give them credit. I'm sorry, but I love Xenoblade, but it's never going to do this good. He always starts problems with Xenoblade music and the voice actors being British.

It's not going to do as good? What do you mean?

guek

Banned
I have to repeat myself here: I did not review breath of the wild. Those reviews you listed are from myself. I rated those games. So of course there will be differences between stuff I review and others on the site.

I feel stupid even posting the review here now. Look, the writer for the review is more critical toward games then I am. So the harsher score reflects that.

Sorry if everyone here doesn't like the content we produce at 3WIREL but we will take feedback and ensure we consider it when writing future content.

Don't sweat it. It looks like you guys are still learning and developing as a site. You've got to be critical about your reviewers too though if you want to improve. That doesn't mean the review you guys posted is invalid but you have to be ready to be questioned if your content appears to be an outlier from the consensus. Being an outlier isn't necessarily bad either, but the content itself should make a good case for why it's a unique opinion.

skypunch

Banned
It won't be reviewed as highly. That character artstyle is going to turn some people off.

It probably won't, but the first game is cited as the best JRPG of the seventh generation and many consider it the best JRPG of all time. You can't get much higher praise than that.

Malus

Don't sweat it. It looks like you guys are still learning and developing as a site. You've got to be critical about your reviewers too though if you want to improve. That doesn't mean the review you guys posted is invalid but you have to be ready to be questioned if your content appears to be an outlier from the consensus. Being an outlier isn't necessarily bad either, but the content itself should make a good case for why it's a unique opinion.

It'll still get a lot of hate anyways. Even if they become respected it'd be like, "Oh well they're known as overly critical, so keep that in mind."

Just gotta have thick skin.

skypunch

Banned
I think they mean that it will never do this well critically or commercially but my 2 year old son could have told you that.

Well of course it won't, but that has no bearing on anything and all it's doing is turning this into a dick waving contest.

Caelus

It probably won't, but the first game is cited as the best JRPG of the seventh generation and many consider it the best JRPG of all time. You can't get much higher praise than that.

I think Xenoblade 2 has a good chance of being one of the best JRPGs, Zelda ultimately has a storied heritage, is an old series and is of a more accessible genre. The difference in critical reception will be unsurprising, and I very much look forward to X2.

The Xenoblade influence is very much apparent in BotW, and not just in the overworld. I can feel Monolith's hands all over this game's aesthetic.. spoilers though.

skypunch

Banned
I think Xenoblade 2 has a good chance of being one of the best JRPGs, Zelda ultimately has a storied heritage, is an old series and is of a more accessible genre. The difference in critical reception will be unsurprising, and I very much look forward to X2.

The Xenoblade influence is very much apparent in BotW, and not just in the overworld. I can feel Monolith's hands all over this game's aesthetic.. spoilers though.

Yeah, I can see their handprints all over the world design. It's really cool. Very much looking forward to playing the game because the world design looks marvelous.

It will be interesting of they cannreturn to form after XCX which was so and so in many areas vs the original. Their last 2 games have been very ambitious which have positives and negative aspect.

But in general I dont think its fair to compare an established series like Zelda which has had decades to figure out what does and doesnt work to the Xenoblade games which for the most part do a lot of inovating and changes from game to game. Especially given Monolith doesnt get a Zelda budget.

Malus

It won't be reviewed as highly. That character artstyle is going to turn some people off.

Eh character design was total ass in Xenoblade X and while it did review lower I don't recall critics harping on it.

I think it'll rate lower just because it likely won't be as ambitious. I love Xenoblade as much as the next guy, but outside of the game's scale the gameplay is rather repetitive and the world lacks any sort of interactivity. All the while maintaining the same technical shortcomings like pop-in,framerate issues, etc.

It's gotta rely on its story and characters to be special, and even as great as the original Xenoblade's story was it topped out at 92 on MC in an easier review environment.

Hey, seems like you guys are still figuring things out as a site.

Most here are pretty passionate about the game, so when a review comes up that goes against the grain, especially from a site that's less popular, not on any legitimate review aggregator, and, at least for this review, seems to have poor editing, they are naturally a little skeptical of it.

Don't worry too much over negative feedback and just take it as an opportunity to get better - not regarding the score number but the editing, style of writing, etc! The site is probably something you guys are pretty passionate about so I hope it grows and gains more popularity over time as the content improves :)

goldenpp72

It'll still get a lot of hate anyways. Even if they become respected it'd be like, "Oh well they're known as overly critical, so keep that in mind."

Just gotta have thick skin.

Depends, if it's like Edge where they use the full scale and are pretty consistent, no one would care, they'd just say 'it's that site, they're good but not the same curve' and move along.

If the site gives Bionic Commando a significantly higher score than a Zelda game sitting at 98 on metacritic, it will raise some red flags yeah.

Bitanator

You are good people, don't sweat it.

Guys, I'm about 100 dollars short for the Switch+ this game, what do I need to sell on my body to get this in my hands tomorrow?

106 pages and we still like:

giphy.gif

had to quote this for later pages. Had my stomach on lockdown.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Yeah, I can see their handprints all over the world design. It's really cool. Very much looking forward to playing the game because the world design looks marvelous.

Doesn't hurt that the same outsource companies who help make assets on XenoBlaxe, helped BOTW.

Baltic

Banned

Without spoiling anything, what can you say that makes you feel their influence? I have not played their games except for a few hours on XC and I'm genuinely curious about what we can expect form their part.

This reminds of the will reading from It's Always Sunny xD

I think you can guess who is who in the scene vs the thread :p

ReyVGM

I have to get through work tomorrow.

My students are giving presentations all day. I'm going to be so unfocused while I'm trying to listen to them and grade them, haha.

Hehe, I wonder what stuff like that distracted teachers when we were children.

"Hmm gee, I have to listen to my students and grade them and all I can think of is that new monopoly board I just bought!"

There is nothing wrong with posting a review. Don't take the salt personally. But I will say that as a group of reviewers you all have to reach some baselines about what is what. You can't have one member of the team going much harder on games than other members of the team. You have to set some reasonable boundaries so that you don't have wide discrepancies.

But there is zero problem with your sites review (besides spelling/grammar, obviously as you continue reviewing this stuff will have to be cleaned up). Don't let the "passion" over some arbitrary 98 on an aggregate website discourage you.

Caelus

Without spoiling anything, what can you say that makes you feel their influence? I have not played their games except for a few hours on XC and I'm genuinely curious about what we can expect form their part.

Character, item, and world design. Honestly, it shocked me when I saw the assets. You can tell the younger members of the team had fun with various aspects of the game's design.

Explore, explore, explore.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者

The feel is different. Nintendo's programmers did a next level job, especially their physics team. But some of the art assets have traces. Not just because Monolith assisted the art, but because Nintendo and Monolith also employ the same outsource companies

skypunch

Banned
Eh character design was total ass in Xenoblade X and while it did review lower I don't recall critics harping on it.

I think it'll rate lower just because it likely won't be as ambitious. I love Xenoblade as much as the next guy, but outside of the game's scale the gameplay is rather repetitive and the world lacks any sort of interactivity. All the while maintaining the same technical shortcomings like pop-in,framerate issues, etc.

It's gotta rely on its story and characters to be special, and even as great as the original Xenoblade's story was it topped out at 92 on MC in an easier review environment.

It wasn't just the story and characters that people enjoyed but the world, and the concept of that world: traversal across two giant dead gods. The music also touched people.

We haven't seen enough to say whether it's as ambitious or not but knowing Monolith Soft it probably will be. Didn't ShockingAlberto say it was just as ambitious as X?

If we look at the trailer, you're actually travelling on top of a living creature and the head and neck of the creature is actually turning in real time. That's a wholly new concept. There's no other JRPG set on humongous living breathing creatures that actually move through the sky in real time.

Baltic

Banned
Character, item, and world design. Honestly, it shocked me when I saw the assets. You can tell the younger members of the team had fun with various aspects of the game's design.

Explore, explore, explore.

The feel is different. Nintendo's programmers did a next level job, especially their physics team. But some of the art assets have traces. Not just because Monolith assisted the art, but because Nintendo and Monolith also employ the same outsource companies

Thanks for the insight. I am pretty much intimidated by such vast environments but the physics of the game is what made me the most hyped. I think it also will be the way for me to enjoy this massive exploration endeavour. I guess a pretty akward parallel to make would be when I first started to like clams because of the broth...

Anyway, a few more hours to wait. Sleeping will be a challenge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom