• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peltz

I don't understand why Soul Caliber scored so high. Soul Caliber 1 wasn't close to being the best fighting game around that time. Tekken 3 should be towers above SC1.

Bro... you are so wrong. Don't go there.

C56Z_6rWYAA7AIf.jpg:orig

This is class ^

Aaron D.

Have there been any comparisons as to how bad the docked Switch performance is compared to handheld and Wii U? I was planning on buying a Switch later in the year, but if it runs much better than it does on Wii U when docked, I figured I guess I could just go grab the console and game tomorrow. I'm not going to play the game in handheld mode.

I'm the opposite.

I'm seriously considering a Switch purchase but I will likely never use Big Screen mode. I just want it for BotW and Stardew Valley in portable form.

Is there a definitive answer on BotW performance on Switch between docked and portable modes?

JB2448

Right.

But they weren't all good exclusives. I don't even know what the Xbox one is.
More people get to play Microsoft Studios' games. That isn't a bad thing. If you prefer to play it on a console, you buy an Xbox. If you prefer to game on PC, you can get it for that too. More people getting to play more good games is never a bad thing. It's the prerogative of the platform maker (and game publisher, in this case) to decide what the move that's in its best interest is, and Microsoft would rather lose dedicated home console sales in order to try and get people involved in their UWP ecosystem. It's another option that doesn't harm the option that was there before and continues to be there.
More people get to play more good games than they would have been able to before. Chill.

FeD.nL

I'm the opposite.

I'm seriously considering a Switch purchase but I will likely never use Big Screen mode. I just want it for BotW and Stardew Valley in portable form.

Is there a definitive answer on BotW performance on Switch between docked and portable modes?

All signs point to Handheld > docked in terms of performance.

Davey Cakes

Have there been any comparisons as to how bad the docked Switch performance is compared to handheld and Wii U? I was planning on buying a Switch later in the year, but if it runs much better than it does on Wii U when docked, I figured I guess I could just go grab the console and game tomorrow. I'm not going to play the game in handheld mode.
Yeah, I really want to know if BotW is worth it on Wii U in general. I really have no idea when I'll be getting a Switch.

Malcolm9

We have to commend Nintendo for mixing it up, they easily could have stuck with the traditional Zelda type gameplay, this will really refresh the series.

shandy706

What has 82/100? I thought you meant Halo Wars 2, but that's a 79/100

You need to grow up and do your research

My bad, it is 79/100 on Metcacritic. Which is a great score.

Halo Wars 2 is awesome.

Horizon: ZD is awesome.

Zelda: BotW looks like it is awesome.

I'm fed up with you people and your insecure fighting. Actually play the games, then come back to me.

Griss

All I'll say is that I sat down to play it at 5pm after work yesterday and didn't stop until 5am. Leaving 2 hours of sleep before work today. Didn't even cook dinner.

The last time I did that was honestly with, I dunno, Metroid Prime? Ocarina of Time?

The game is crack cocaine. I wish I could forget ever having played it and start all over again.

JB2448

I think less people will play Halo Wars 2 than those other two games. Because why would you get Halo Wars 2 at this point?
Because the person likes real-time strategy and/or Halo? Why else would you buy a Halo RTS?
That's neither here nor there. I'm pumped to play Breath of the Wild tomorrow.

I actually well up thinking about this and reading these reviews.. that it would seem we have a game... yes, a game... not an adventure experience (such as TLOU, Uncharted, Horizon, Halo, Assassins Creed, etc) that not only takes what is truly amazing from those titles/series, but stays planted firmly within not only its gaming roots, but also its storied history.. that it would seem the inspiration from the ORIGINAL is so clearly obvious..

Anouma-san has been a rockstar at NCL for over a decade now.. but hopefully he finally gets to join Miyamoto-san now in recognition as a legend in the industry who truly helped shape a fair chunk of the last 20ish years in the industry.
How on earth are those not a game? There is no reason to put down other games while praising Zelda. What's wrong with you?

Galang

Banned
Eh I don't exactly see an MMO but I do think this game might lead to a multiplayer version that plays a bit like Monster Hunter but with the mechanics of Breath of the Wild. Seems like the next natural step for Nintendo to try out considering how much people seem to be enjoying the freedom of the game. The next step is to take this engine and allow multiple people to traverse it at the same time.

I definitely see this as the next step honestly. I don't see why so many are against multiplayer in Zelda considering what BotW seems to achieve. It seems like the perfect addition for an open world game of this size and quality

A review philosophy that more and more are picking up is that a game doesn't have to be literally "perfect" to get the outlets highest score. I'm glad about this. Because no game is perfect, you look at any of the top 10 in MC and they all have some issues, few as they are.

Does this game have framerate issues? Sure. But do the pros outweigh the cons? Absolutely, and it seems like most agree. It's like a scale, if there's enough good stuff to reach a 10 regardless of the flaws - you're gonna get a 10.

It's great that in a lot of these 10/10 reviews, are still pointing out the flaws but the game is still so good that it can't be anything less than a 10/10

Tell that to Tetris

Isn't that odd though? Docked is supposed to be 900p vs. handheld 720p but there's a not insignificant clock increase. Perhaps an optimization issue?

Almost certainly an optimization issue, given they've had like 10 months to actually port this. That's why there's a hope this will be addressed in a future patch.

Branduil

I wouldn't expect this to be a future GTA IV, for several reasons:

-Critics are harsher now than they were at the time of GTA IV's release, when the HD era still seemed new and fresh.
-GTA itself was coasting off the universal acclaim of three consecutive games, and it took that proven formula into the HD era, with good visuals at a scale that hadn't been seen before. That was enough for a lot of journalists to look past its many flaws.
-Breath of the Wild, on the other hand, is a massive shakeup to its series that tears down or subverts almost every game design trope established since the original game. It's extremely risky for a series to reinvent itself like that, as the new formula will inevitably be compared to the old.
-And there's no real possibility the game is coasting on the strength of its graphical prowess, as despite whatever appeal you find in the artstyle, it is on a far weaker console than the other industry players.

tim-and-eric-mind-blown.gif

Jesus, these scores are insane! I was expecting a score around 95 but I think this just might be Nintendo's highest rated game since Super Mario Galaxy. Just...wow...the wait became even more unbearable :(

DonShula

A few days ago I was mildly curious at the review scores but really just interested in playing it myself.

Now I'm actively rooting for this thing to hit 99.

I actually well up thinking about this and reading these reviews.. that it would seem we have a game... yes, a game... not an adventure experience (such as TLOU, Uncharted, Horizon, Halo, Assassins Creed, etc) that not only takes what is truly amazing from those titles/series, but stays planted firmly within not only its gaming roots, but also its storied history.. that it would seem the inspiration from the ORIGINAL is so clearly obvious..

Anouma-san has been a rockstar at NCL for over a decade now.. but hopefully he finally gets to join Miyamoto-san now in recognition as a legend in the industry who truly helped shape a fair chunk of the last 20ish years in the industry.

lmao

fantomena

My bad, it is 79/100 on Metcacritic. Which is a great score.

Halo Wars 2 is awesome.

Horizon: ZD is awesome.

Zelda: BotW looks like it is awesome.

I'm fed up with you people and your insecure fighting. Actually play the games, then come back to me.

HW2 was a good game, but I found the first one to be better, especially the campaign.

Sendou

But Twilight has 95 on metacritic

And Skyward has 93.

Don't those scores guarantee masterpieces?

I think it's less about the exact score and more about the content of the reviews. In a way BotW might be doing a lot of things people were hoping from the series for the longest time.

shandy706

HW2 was a good game, but I found the first one to be better, especially the campaign.

Can't disagree at this point. I'm a few hours into it and Horizon.

My Master edition of BotW should be in soon, I'm going to put my Master Sword statue next to my Aloy one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom