• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm curious what the user MC score will look like after 2-3 months. A lot of the impressions from the impressions thread seem to be a bit muted on the game at first, but after putting in 10-20 hours they mainly seem to be a lot more positive.

I totally forgot about the review coming in today.

Ho-leee sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeit!

OoT has been my GOAT since 1998. Lets see if this could dethrone it.

I actually well up thinking about this and reading these reviews.. that it would seem we have a game... yes, a game... not an adventure experience (such as TLOU, Uncharted, Horizon, Halo, Assassins Creed, etc) that not only takes what is truly amazing from those titles/series, but stays planted firmly within not only its gaming roots, but also its storied history.. that it would seem the inspiration from the ORIGINAL is so clearly obvious..

Anouma-san has been a rockstar at NCL for over a decade now.. but hopefully he finally gets to join Miyamoto-san now in recognition as a legend in the industry who truly helped shape a fair chunk of the last 20ish years in the industry.

I vomited a little reading this.

fantomena

Im so sad I can't pre-order and pre-load the game on my Wii U. Well at least it has a store page, heard some other countries doesn't even have a Wii U eShop store page for it.

aravuus

Yeah, I really want to know if BotW is worth it on Wii U in general. I really have no idea when I'll be getting a Switch.

Yeah, for someone who is pretty sensitive to bad performance, it's hard to say. On one hand, the Wii U version doesn't perform particularly well from what I've seen, and the low res really hurts it.

On the other, if the docked Switch version runs just as bad, just in higher resolution, I guess I should stick to Wii U. It's also possible CEMU can run Zelda perfectly in the near future.

Orayn

I'm curious what the user MC score will look like after 2-3 months. A lot of the impressions from the impressions thread seem to be a bit muted on the game at first, but after putting in 10-20 hours they mainly seem to be a lot more positive.

User MC has never been indicative of anything. Any game that's even remotely popular or contentious will have a flood of 0s and 10s from diehards.

Jqjd0ur.jpg

How can so much adventure be in such a small thing!

And yes, I tried licking it because NeoGAF.

mhayes86

Nintendo confirms it tastes bad so it discourages children from putting it in mouth, which prompts adults putting it in mouth.

Yep, I just read that it was confirmed by Nintendo that a non-toxic bitterness agent, denatonium benzoate, is coated on the carts to dissuade children from ingesting them.

Curious, though, does it leave a residue on your hands or smell?

I just woke up to this. Switch pre-order justified!

Look at all those 10s! I better hurry up and finish Horizon Zero Dawn lol, can't wait to play BOTW!

Chaos17

All I'll say is that I sat down to play it at 5pm after work yesterday and didn't stop until 5am. Leaving 2 hours of sleep before work today. Didn't even cook dinner.

The last time I did that was honestly with, I dunno, Metroid Prime? Ocarina of Time?

The game is crack cocaine. I wish I could forget ever having played it and start all over again.

I fear third DLC or new hard mode will make us go all over it again months later, lol

reKon

Banned
I actually well up thinking about this and reading these reviews.. that it would seem we have a game... yes, a game... not an adventure experience (such as TLOU, Uncharted, Horizon, Halo, Assassins Creed, etc) that not only takes what is truly amazing from those titles/series, but stays planted firmly within not only its gaming roots, but also its storied history.. that it would seem the inspiration from the ORIGINAL is so clearly obvious..

Anouma-san has been a rockstar at NCL for over a decade now.. but hopefully he finally gets to join Miyamoto-san now in recognition as a legend in the industry who truly helped shape a fair chunk of the last 20ish years in the industry.

Lmao at this fanboy shit, Jesus. I knew people would start going crazy at these scores.

Griss

Not only am I happy that I got to play an incredible GotY Zelda, I'm also happy that the series can finally move on.

For years we were slaves to the Link to the Past framework. 'Find three things in dungeons, something happens, find three / six things in more dungeons, fight Ganondorf.' It had become so rote in so many of these games.

This game throws not some of that out, but all of it. The only Zelda game it resembles in framework is the original. And that's glorious, because the original is one of my favourite games of all time, as well as my first. And from now on, the LttP framework can stay retired. It served well, but it's over.

Zelda has assumed its original identity again. It has come home.

t hicks

Banned
Holy shit at the reviews
I mean I'm not too surprised but DAMN!
I'm so fucking excited for the midnight launch tonight with the switch!!!!

silva1991

What am I reading here lol.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
How on earth are those not a game? There is no reason to put down other games while praising Zelda. What's wrong with you?
I LOVED Uncharted 4 and TLOU. and am enthralled by Horizon currently.. but for me, the draw and perfection of those games are the stories and adventures... gameplay wise... there wasn't really anything amazing in Uncharted 4. Horizon so far hasn't been much like "wow these game mechanics are incredible". It was never meant to be a knock... I just feel (opinions and all of that) that the modern day AAA adventure game experience has veered away from top notch or innovative game mechanics to a slightly more diluted gameplay experience used to drive forward and incredible narrative.

From the sound of it, BotW still works to deliver an absolutely vital gameplay experience.. I wouldn't rate Uncharted 4 any lower than the media did... but if you have me Uncharted 4 with better and more involved gameplay mechanics, I would definitely rate it higher (even if going from 9 to 10)

Guys can we stop being fanboys and just acknowledge that all of the consoles have great games to play on them? Please?
Who said they didn't? None of the games I mentioned are anything less than amazing.. but that doesn't mean a game can't come out that is better.. I touched on the very small area in those games I felt lacking (a fairly homogenized and inconsequential gameplay experience propelling forward an amazing narrative).. it doesn't mean they aren't incredible games, which they are.. people need to not be so sensitive..

Ganondorfo

Final Fantasy XV also did for Final Fantasy what Breath of the Wild did for Zelda. Both games will probably be masterpieces.

DonShula

What a class act, nice one Sony Twitter Person

Total class. Was wondering to myself earlier today whether we'd see Sony and MS send congratulatory tweets to Nintendo for the Switch launch tomorrow. I didn't expect Sony to congratulate Nintendo on a game.

The Hermit

Not only am I happy that I got to play an incredible GotY Zelda, I'm also happy that the series can finally move on.

For years we were slaves to the Link to the Past framework. 'Find three things in dungeons, something happens, find three / six things in more dungeons, fight Ganondorf.' It had become so rote in so many of these games.

This game throws not some of that out, but all of it. The only Zelda game it resembles in framework is the original. And that's glorious, because the original is one of my favourite games of all time, as well as my first. And from now on, the LttP framework can stay retired. It served well, but it's over.

Zelda has assumed its original identity again. It has come home.

Griss, I respect a lot of your taste in gaming since you posted your view about Tropical Freeze.

And this is very nice coming from you, when you were very skeptical at first.

I can't wait to play this. Jesus Christ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom