• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kindekuma

Banned
Physical pre-orders are basically sold on this game. 'Bout to get a hell of a lot harder to get a non-digital copy now that all these reviews are out, man. People love their Zelda, especially really good Zelda.

Malcolm9

I'm borrowing my cousins wii U and buying Zelda but I just went on amazon and noticed that they are not offering physical copies? anyone know why? Where can I get the physical?

I'm in the UK and used The Game Collection to order a Wii U physical copy, only £44.95. Got the email today saying it has been despatched and it should arrive tomorrow.

13ruce

Banned
I'm borrowing my cousins wii U and buying Zelda but I just went on amazon and noticed that they are not offering physical copies? anyone know why? Where can I get the physical?

Casual stores will have Zelda in stock for sure gaming stores are sold out probably.

So the voice acting is not worth criticizing? I keep hearing concerns about its quality but I have no idea. Haven't seen anything outside the trailers.

You have to understand neither japanese reviews, nor french/italian/german/castillian spanish and latin american spanish reviews are going to criticise voice acting (well they can, but nearly everything coming from those has stayed mostly positive) because in all those countries it seems Nintendo has gone for quality voice actors.
Basically america droped the ball, and there seems to be not so many voice acting as some other games out there for american reviewers to find it a big problem and detriment to scores.
Though, if its as bad as some people say, even if its not detriment to the overall score, people need to give shit to NoA for they bad decission in that apsect. They shouldnt go the cheap way in a game like this.

Recreat3

Wooo just set up my switch and zelda. Both updates took around 10 minutes in total. Nintendo account linked after the switch software update. I am ready. Goodbye real world, hello hyrule.

Griss

Bruh, the more I look at this footage, the more silly I feel for ever doubting this game in the past.

You and me both. I hated the initial reveal. In retrospect, they showed all the worst things about the game and NONE of the best things. Seriously. I can go back and look at those trailers now and be like 'Yeah, this is dull. None of the good shit is here at all.'

And then they demoed the Plateau, and while the systems were impressive that's my least favourite area of the game.

By the time we saw the more recent trailers it was clear that it was going to be special, though. They clearly were just trying to avoid spoilers with the marketing - something I had really doubted was the case.

The cynical side of myself figured in 2017 there would be a few more 'its good but would be so much better if Nintendo weren't so assbackwards with their hardware' reviews.

I hate to say it, but I haven't cursed the hardware a game was running on so much since Skyward Sword, which was a beautiful game whose special visuals were ruined by SD in an age when most games were HD.

With this one, it really feels like the Wii U is bursting at the seams trying to run it. I'd do anything to have the game in 1080p with twice the draw distance and more foliage density, to say nothing of a stable framerate. The fact that the Switch doesn't deliver this is hugely disappointing.

The game is legendary, so one day we'll be seeing a 4k remastered version. But it's a problem when you're dreaming about that version as you're playing the original.

A review philosophy that more and more are picking up is that a game doesn't have to be literally "perfect" to get the outlets highest score. I'm glad about this. Because no game is perfect, you look at any of the top 10 in MC and they all have some issues, few as they are.

Does this game have framerate issues? Sure. But do the pros outweigh the cons? Absolutely, and it seems like most agree. It's like a scale, if there's enough good stuff to reach a 10 regardless of the flaws - you're gonna get a 10.

It's great that in a lot of these 10/10 reviews, are still pointing out the flaws but the game is still so good that it can't be anything less than a 10/10

LotusHD

Banned
I hadn't doubted since the first real game play they showed off with Link climbing anywhere. I'm not even a big Zelda fan. I instantly git this sense that they had something special going on.

Serves you right, now let's celebrate the best game of all time :)

You right. It's not even that I thought it'd be bad, I actually like all the 3D mainline Zelda games. (Yes Skyward Sword too.) But whenever I float around stuff like this being my GOTG contender, I always said it in a joking manner. You know open world and what not, ya never know. Then those previews came. Then the Edge review came. And that's when I first realized "Shit, maybe I was right to be this hyped"

Now with these reviews, it's a given lol

test_account

XP-39C²
Read quite a few reviews and I am struck by how many similarities there are behind the game design philosophies of both Horizon and Zelda: Botw. Both have tried to minimize the bloat and focus on emergent, challenging and FUN combat with level scaling tied to armor and weapon upgrades. No enemy scaling like the Bethesda games for example. They both have these diversionary temples (shrines in Zelda's case, Cauldrons in Horizon's) which reward the player with useful loot.
The setting of a world gone back to nature with remnants of scifi technology from a different era and the mystery of how it got there is also shared by the two games.
There are other similarities and of course just as many differences which means they are still very much their own things.
Tbh, I don't know which game I will enjoy more - Horizon has the story hooks and technical mastery but Zelda seems to have the more surprising and 'freeform' open world.
Thanks for the detailed answer :) Seems like both are quite similar in that aspect, so i'm curious to what he ment with it being bland. Maybe he found it boring, which is fine of course, but objectively it doesnt seem to be bland in comparision.

Been following Neogaf for many years. So impressed by the reviews for BOTW that I am compelled to write.

Congratulations to all involved in Nintendo. I have many games and many consoles but nothing compares to the magic and joy that Nintendo can create when they succeed. Can't wait to experience BOTW tomorrow.

It's cool man. I'm virtually a lurker too. Every once and a while I post something like "whoa look at that Zelda score" or "I like Dark Souls" but it's basically just lurking with an Avatar. Wish I could be playing it with you guys tomorrow, they just wouldn't let me off at work...Dammit. Will have to pick up the Switch the day after.

Big One

Banned
Imagine all the money that could be made off a Zelda Online.
Eh I don't exactly see an MMO but I do think this game might lead to a multiplayer version that plays a bit like Monster Hunter but with the mechanics of Breath of the Wild. Seems like the next natural step for Nintendo to try out considering how much people seem to be enjoying the freedom of the game. The next step is to take this engine and allow multiple people to traverse it at the same time.

Prithee Be Careful

Industry Professional
Plus, when have you ever been able to climb literally anything in an open world game (that's not named Spiderman)?

I mean, Assassin's Creed has been doing this for a while... which also illustrates a the other point: that simply being able to climb things isn't any kind of guarantee of quality.

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
C56Z_6rWYAA7AIf.jpg:orig

Best Review in this thread. When the competition gives you props, you know you've done something truly special. This is good for gaming. Propers to Sony for the Class A move.

I knew this would blow it out of the water.

Some say we shouldn't get hypes over perfect scores for Zelda---and after the last two 3D Zeldas, I agree--but this has looked deserving of the acclaim since last year. We're in for something special.

aravuus

Have there been any comparisons as to how bad the docked Switch performance is compared to handheld and Wii U? I was planning on buying a Switch later in the year, but if it runs much better than it does on Wii U when docked, I figured I guess I could just go grab the console and game tomorrow. I'm not going to play the game in handheld mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom