• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

sora87

The start of 2017 be like
tumblr_n2nvrx3foe1r5zq6ao2_r1_400.gif

Seeing both this game and Mario Odyssey come out in the same year is so beautiful to the eyes. They're both the most exciting and fresh installments their respective series have had in years.

It just makes me wish Nintendo could give the same treatment to other franchises of theirs that have been on the decline. Particularly, Star Fox, Paper Mario and Metroid.

Yeah was thinking the same thing. Zelda's a home run, and all signs seem to point it'll be the same for Odyssey also. This is gonna be one of Nintendo's best year ever.

I've never seen so much cringe on my Twitter timeline for a Zelda game getting amazing reviews. It's mind blowing. Regardless of system wars, etc. Seems Breath of the Wild is some good, videogame ass videogaming. People should be happy regardless.

Am I the only one who's not gushing because of the scores some previous Zelda games have received?. Skyward Sword has a 93, Twilight Princess has a 97 and PH has over 90

Yeah, I'm waiting a few weeks for the rush to die off before I consider purchasing. I stopped playing Skyward Sword after the second dungeon.

blackflag

The start of 2017 be like
tumblr_n2nvrx3foe1r5zq6ao2_r1_400.gif

Lol true. How do I even have time to play all these games being only able to play 4-6 hours a week.

I already started Tales of Berseria, set it aside for RE7 and set it aside without finishing for Nioh, then set that aside for Horizon, and Zelda and my switch are coming tomorrow....how do I hold all these first world problems?

I've not come close to finishing any of these games.

Plum

Finally able to post again after being at uni and all I can say is damn... Nintendo actually did it. So happy for the Zelda team, they took a massive risk in throwing out so much of what worked and it's have paid off. I'll gladly eat as much crow as I can handle after doubting the game before and predicting a 90 MC in the 12 games thread.

Wow.

Astral Dog

The part about the main dungeons sounds pretty lame,tbh.
Different but lame,oh well its a small thing compared to everything else :D

Jeels

Congrats to Nintendo. I can't wait to play this on a brand new console. :) I don't think I've seen this many perfect scores in a long time.

BumRush

I actually well up thinking about this and reading these reviews.. that it would seem we have a game... yes, a game... not an adventure experience (such as TLOU, Uncharted, Horizon, Halo, Assassins Creed, etc) that not only takes what is truly amazing from those titles/series, but stays planted firmly within not only its gaming roots, but also its storied history.. that it would seem the inspiration from the ORIGINAL is so clearly obvious..

Anouma-san has been a rockstar at NCL for over a decade now.. but hopefully he finally gets to join Miyamoto-san now in recognition as a legend in the industry who truly helped shape a fair chunk of the last 20ish years in the industry.

How are games like Horizon not games but Zelda is lol?

Jumeira

Banned
Unbelievable scores. While im an ex Nintendo fan and feel absolutely underwhelmed by the switch, this is one exception that may override whatever grievances i have. I may have to pick up a Switch just to play this game.

Steejee

I'm trying to remember the last time two games came out so close to each other that scored so high across the board. Insane to me to see platform exclusive grand slams come out back to back, especially with one as a launch title.

sora87

Lol true. How do I even have time to play all these games being only able to play 4-6 hours a week.

I already started Tales of Berseria, set it aside for RE7 and set it aside without finishing for Nioh, then set that aside for Horizon, and Zelda and my switch are coming tomorrow....how do I hold all these first world problems?

I've not come close to finishing any of these games.

I thought I could finish yakuza 0 before horizon and zelda, i was wrong haha.
Least i got gravity rush 2 finished in time.

m051293

People will get upset, but you're ultimately right... Zelda's primary appeal is ludo-centric - the act of playing it is amazing. Everything is based on gameplay systems, and all of those systems are great, from combat to cooking. On the other hand, the story is nothing special at all, and you could say the execution is poor by other AAA studio standards. Of course, here it serves its purpose just fine (and is a big improvement from past Zeldas), but it's not the appeal.

In all of those other games the narrative is a big part of what keeps you playing, and the gameplay systems are nowhere near as complex or varied (or fun) as Zelda's, and typically serve to just keep you ticking over through the story the developer wants to tell. If you stripped away the narrative and had nothing left but the gameplay it might get old quite quickly.

It's a question of how ludo-centric a game is, really. Zelda feels totally different to those other games. I commonly thought of Super Mario games while playing BotW. Because the world isn't really a real place to explore like it is in other games (IQ too weak, textures too blurry etc) but controlling Link in this world is the appeal, like in a Mario game.

Yeah this, above all, is the impression I've been getting.

Excellent description. This is essentially how I feel when I watch footage of the game, and I'm glad it comes across while playing it too.

Anecdotally, I loved the Witcher 3 specifically for it's narrative and lore, but after Blood and Wine released I just had no desire to play through that game again due specifically to the gameplay mechanics being fairly poor. This Zelda is sounding almost like the antithesis of that, where you'll want to go back in later to experience the pure joy of controlling the game.

That's an incredible feeling as a gamer.

Play Blood & Wine man. It's a refinement of every little thing that made TW3 base game so glorious, while cutting out the bloat/tightening the narratives and upping the sidequest writing (a lot less serious of a tone though - but I preferred this after the dreary encounters of Velen). Plus they took it up a notch technically.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom