• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the best reviewed game of all time.

I love OOT, it's one of my favorite childhood memories getting that game when I was 10, but the review standards were very different back then. Even compared to GTA IV, standards for reviews have gotten tougher in the last decade.

When considering the wide array of eclectic reviewers, and the fact that this has better scores than anything else for a decade now, and that it's only being beaten by a game from 1998...

Yes, I think this is truly the best reviewed game ever.

Griss

Okay, I'm reading the reviews now and I'm surprised how spoilery a lot of them are.

I mean the Eurogamer review spoils one of the most surprising things in the game for me... (read this only if you've read that review or most reviews I guess) the fact that there are
no dungeons.
Or even the details of which races appear.

Glad I was on total blackout for this one.

LotusHD

Banned
I give it a week before the inevitable "BotW isn't that great" thread.

There's always one, but man, just the fact that basically all of the outlets are coming together and saying "Yea, this is a masterpiece" is just incredible lol

Sciortino

Holy shit. I can't wait for tomorrow. Its also going to be painful putting Horizon aside for a bit but I'll get back to it of course.

Caelus

I mean the Eurogamer review spoils one of the most surprising things in the game for me... (read this only if you've read that review or most reviews I guess) the fact that there are
no dungeons.
Or even the details of which races appear.

The spoiler is false, though. Odd considering you're playing the game right now?

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Lol not true. Horizon is a great enough that you would probably itch to finish it before jumping into Zelda. Amazing appetizer before the incredible dinner.

I'll redbox it after i beat Zelda. Not enough time for me to finish it from release to today. The timing is unfortunate, that's for sure.

I can't deny all these 10s. Gotta dive in.

-NeoTB1-

Goodness. I knew this would review well based on previews, but... wow. I have legitimately not been this excited for a Zelda game since Majora's Mask.

Peléo

All I'll say is that I sat down to play it at 5pm after work yesterday and didn't stop until 5am. Leaving 2 hours of sleep before work today. Didn't even cook dinner.

The last time I did that was honestly with, I dunno, Metroid Prime? Ocarina of Time?

The game is crack cocaine. I wish I could forget ever having played it and start all over again.

We live in the best gaming timeline.

blackflag

I thought I could finish yakuza 0 before horizon and zelda, i was wrong haha.
Least i got gravity rush 2 finished in time.

Yeah it's always a slight problem but I can't remember this many good games coming out in such a short time in...well ever. I'm probably forgetting a time but it had to be awhile ago.

YoyH49i.gif
Dead.

Anteo

Only years ago, The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword was deemed the most ingenious, creative, and best Zelda title to date. Today, it is often derided as one of the worst games in the series, especially when compared to classics like Link’s Awakening and The Legend of Zelda: Windwaker.

Lmao, classics like Wind Waker

LMAO
you already lost me reviewer

Griss

The spoiler is false, though. Odd considering you're playing the game right now?

I'm 75% of the way through the game and will beat it tonight, probably. It's not false.

Big spoilers for people not in this conversation:
The divine beasts are not dungeons. They're a series of 5 puzzles in one big room, really. Not a Zelda dungeon by any description, not shaped like a dungeon... just not.

Joqu

I know it's Zelda and all, I'm used to the great reviews, but the 10's here man... So many 10's.

I'm getting my switch tomorrow but Zelda LE is only arriving early next week because of shipping. RIP me. :(

I'm 75% of the way through the game and will beat it tonight, probably. It's not false.

The divine beasts are not dungeons.

Sure they are. They're just very, very different.

If you had said
BotW has no traditional Zelda dungeons, you'd be correct.

blackflag

I'll redbox it after i beat Zelda. Not enough time for me to finish it from release to today. The timing is unfortunate, that's for sure.

I can't deny all these 10s. Gotta dive in.

I rented Horizon from redbox and holy shit if Zelda holds me like that then it really is game of the forever because right now Horizon is one of my favorite games of all time.

It's an exciting time. My switch still hasn't been charged but it's preparing shippment.

Caelus

The divine beasts are not dungeons. They're a series of 5 puzzles in one big room, really. Not a Zelda dungeon by any description, not shaped like a dungeon... just not.

Right... that's just semantics.

Acheteedo

Man, I was starting to wonder if we'd ever see a game reviewed this high again, the trend has generally been harsher reviews this gen as standards have risen. Much fewer 90+ metacritics than in previous generations. It seemed to be only Rockstar that had the magic touch, but Nintendo just re-entered the fray.

Reading these reviews. Did the GOTY discussion already end with technically 10 full months left in the year?

What other game could come out that's better than BOTW, or for that matter Horizon or Nioh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom