• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

sn00zer

Got damn. Wow. Goty is going to be a bloodbath. Not a fan of Zelda at all (cept windwaker and nes zelda) but that is impressive no matter which way you slice it.

phanphare

Banned
YoyH49i.gif

you get points for the simpsons did it angle

you lose points for bringing up console war shit

I think that if the game keeps getting critic scores on Metacritic that are perfect it could reach 99. Game forums would explode even more than they already are.

I honestly have nothing to really contribute other than to say, "give me this game now."

If this game tied Ocarina's scores, the world would implode. I'm SHOOK.

Plum

I give it a week before the inevitable "BotW isn't that great" thread.

A week? More like 2 hours.

Reading these reviews. Did the GOTY discussion already end with technically 10 full months left in the year?

What other game could come out that's better than BOTW, or for that matter Horizon or Nioh?

Mario Odyssey, Persona 5 and RDR2 are three main contenders that we know of. There's also the potential for a surprise E3 announcement for Winter, but we don't know about that yet.

Griss

Right... that's just semantics.

It's not though, not at all.
If you played other Zeldas for the dungeons, like Twilight Princess, for example, you won't find a single one here. That kind of player may be extremely disappointed, so it wouldn't be semantics to him. No small keys, no room after room of puzzles, no finding an item and being able to trackle puzzles you previously couldn't, no epic trek to the boss room... Honestly they feel like larger shrines with a boss attached. I loved the fact that they switched this up - in their interconnectedness they feel BETTER than traditional dungeons. But I can't describe them a zelda dungeon.

Murkas

I'm getting off this hype train.

I will observe reactions from a distance incase this ends up being like TP and SS once their hype levels died down. But with all these impressions, that may not be the case.

It's not though, not at all.
If you played other Zeldas for the dungeons, like Twilight Princess, for example, you won't find a single one here. That kind of player may be extremely disappointed, so it wouldn't be semantics to him. No small keys, no room after room of puzzles, no finding an item and being able to trackle puzzles you previously couldn't, no epic trek to the boss room... Honestly they feel like larger shrines with a boss attached. I loved the fact that they switched this up - in their interconnectedness they feel BETTER than traditional dungeons. But I can't describe them a zelda dungeon.

I agree that a certain breed of diehard Zelda fan will be disappointed by this.

But these reviews and your impressions have proven to me that this change was absolutely, 100% for the best.

I also think
we'll get a big traditional Zelda dungeon with the DLC

v0mitg0d

Sorry to be kind of a pest, but a question for the people who've read/seen multiple reviews. Which one is the least spoilery? Thanks! :)

Reading these reviews. Did the GOTY discussion already end with technically 10 full months left in the year?

What other game could come out that's better than BOTW, or for that matter Horizon or Nioh?
Breath of the Wild vs Super Mario Odyssey, son.

Greatest battle for GOTY ever. Two GOAT enter, only one leaves.

Why are you all saying that Horizon will suffer the most when the biggest victim is obviously NieR.

NieR is very niche. I don't think it has the chance of being a random, "sure I'll try this game out" purchase as much as Horizon and Zelda do.

I think Horizon will sell great and it'll be remembered, but it definitely could have benefited from a week/weekend of being the sole game released with outstanding reviews.

Ninjimbo

Very happy with those scores. I had a feeling that BotW was on to something special the moment I first saw it. It seems like Nintendo delivered in it.

I can't wait to play it. I'm not really an open world person so hopefully I take to it.

valkyre

Why are you all saying that Horizon will suffer the most when the biggest victim is obviously NieR.

I honestly dont understand how Horizon will "suffer"... it honestly baffles me...

PS4 has a massive install base, those people wont suddenly throw their PS4s away and go by Switches and WiiUs in order to play Zelda.

Both games will do well, the really loser, is -as you say- Nier.

reKon

Banned
Yeah, when people get offended easily by a simpsons gif.
im sure most people here find it funny, even the ones that love horizon

It's not funny cause I've seen a ton of variations of this same gif. It's just more fanboy shit. These two games are extremely different. The main similarity is that you can mount on a horse and shoot an arrow from them...

I get why they are being compared though. Two big well reviewed console exclusives released within days of each other.. and one of them is Zelda.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom