• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinG

Horizon will still sell and do quite well.

I'm waiting to pick it up at first price drop, or until I'm finished with Zelda.

I'm sure both are stellar games in their own right, and I don't expect Zelda to ruin all future games for me.

Psoelberg

Cancelled my Switch preorder last week... seems stupid now... Oh well - I'll pick it up during the summer.

Congratulations to the team for these amazing reviews.

ironcreed

Banned
Sounds as great as it looks. I still have no desire to get a Switch, but perhaps I'll pick up another cheap Wii U to play it on one day.

ymgve

So you have to complete Cave of Shadows in Twilight Princess HD to get Wolf Link? Guess my Amiibo is just a paperweight then.

It's not though, not at all.
If you played other Zeldas for the dungeons, like Twilight Princess, for example, you won't find a single one here. That kind of player may be extremely disappointed, so it wouldn't be semantics to him. No small keys, no room after room of puzzles, no finding an item and being able to trackle puzzles you previously couldn't, no epic trek to the boss room... Honestly they feel like larger shrines with a boss attached. I loved the fact that they switched this up - in their interconnectedness they feel BETTER than traditional dungeons. But I can't describe them a zelda dungeon.

So, how would you compare it to the dungeons in the original NES game?

As seen in that one "Aonuma Style" video I posted some pages ago, there's a group of people out there that have gotten upset at how most recent Zelda games became more and more focused on puzzle solving instead of "tight, skillful action" from the original two games. Are the dungeons in this more like that?

ultrazilla

Shaking with excitement already... im nearly 40yrs old :(

Come with me into Hyrule! I'm 45 and excited as a kid opening presents Christmas Day!

Got my notification from Amazon this morning the Switch is otw to my home(Detroit area) this morning and my brother bought me a Zelda:BOTW Special Edition as a birthday present for me(turned 45 Feb 24!)!

Man, could you imagine if Nintendo came out afterwards and said "Oh, one last thing we forgot, you can play co-op locally or online with a friend!" I'd faint!!

Crazyorloco

Am I the only one who's not gushing because of the scores some previous Zelda games have received?. Skyward Sword has a 93, Twilight Princess has a 97 and PH has over 90

Zelda games (especially the mainline ones) are generally good games. Zelda games are good to amazing. The generally consensus shows that. So no, I believe the reviews.

BotW seems to be above them all...and even if it isn't - it's among the greats.

Come with me into Hyrule! I'm 45 and excited as a kid opening presents Christmas Day!

Got my notification from Amazon this morning the Switch is otw to my home(Detroit area) this morning and my brother bought me a Zelda:BOTW Special Edition as a birthday present for me(turned 45 Feb 24!)!

Man, could you imagine if Nintendo came out afterwards and said "Oh, one last thing we forgot, you can play co-op locally or online with a friend!" I'd faint!!

I'm an older gamer too, i'm giddy as heck. I haven't been this excited since OoT. I can't wait to play this with my daughter.

phanphare

Banned
Again, Sony has 10X more PS4s in the wild than the Switch. For the 40 million people that have a PS4 and don't have a switch Zelda won't mean much.

yeah Horizon will almost assuredly outsell Zelda in the short term (not that sales are the end all be all). I'd bet Zelda will pass it in the long term though. it's attach rate will likely be very high. I can't imagine many people will buy a Switch without also buying BotW.

Coffinhal

I don't understand these reviews who say the game has technical flaws (framerate drops, clipping, some bad textures...)

We are talking about a game that is running on an hardware similar to PS360 and was made during 4/5th of his development on Wii U hardware. And these were the major issues that were on EVERY fucking open world last-gen, even RDR or GTA V.
I don't see them talking much about lighting, meteo or the general physics engine that are on par with what we have these days on PS4XBO. So sad.

The one thing I can never understand is how anyone think Windwaker is better than any of the other 3D Zeldas in anything but graphics. I love it to death but it will always be the weakest of the bunch to me.

iFirez

Yup, going to pick up my Wii U version preorder tomorrow. Excitement levels rising.

It'll be funny if someone with Photoshop skills does a Zelda version of this:

Batman-Arkham-City_GOTY_US_PS3.jpg

Here's my go at this:

Enjoy!

Sidon

I decided to open metacritic after having lunch and getting coffee

IkeaAmazed.gif

Amazeballs...my WiiU copy shipped, but I'm seriously thinking of returning it and try to find a Switch in the coming period. Waiting will be a nightmare then though lol.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Genuinely never thought I would see a meta that high with the way critics have been the last few years. Holy shit.

I honestly dont understand how Horizon will "suffer"... it honestly baffles me...

PS4 has a massive install base, those people wont suddenly throw their PS4s away and go by Switches and WiiUs in order to play Zelda.

Both games will do well, the really loser, is -as you say- Nier.
It is pretty funny to read that stuff though. An amazing game on one platform releases and suddenly sales for a great game on another platform drop off a cliff lol. Gaf gonna Gaf.

I think NieR will do fine worldwide if the Japan sales are any indication.

Harmen

I'm getting off this hype train.

I will observe reactions from a distance incase this ends up being like TP and SS once their hype levels died down. But with all these impressions, that may not be the case.

I don't think so. I have a good feeling about this one. As a person that casually likes Zelda and never really got the big appeal of the last two entries despite their review scores, this one has got me excited for sure. Obviously there will be people that dislike it, but that applies to any game.

I don't understand these reviews who say the game has technical flaws (framerate drops, clipping, some bad textures...)

We are talking about a game that is running on an hardware similar to PS360 and was made during 4/5th of his development on Wii U hardware. And these were the major issues that were on EVERY fucking open world last-gen, even RDR or GTA V.
I don't see them talking much about lighting, meteo or the general physics engine that are on par with what we have these days on PS4XBO. So sad.
It's important to take into account all aspects of the game, though. What don't you understand? Modern standards have changed

reKon

Banned
So if it's an 98 today and we adjust for review scores inflation, that would put this game at a... 101/100. Wow. Truly an achievement.

FinalAres

As a Final Fantasy fan (which I would suggest has been traditionally the nearest neighbour in terms of popularity, critical reception and nerd appeal) I'm super pleased for you guys. Zelda has retaken the crown. I just hope Ff16 can build off FF15s huge steps forward and give it a run for its money.

Griss

One thing I'll say is that I'm so glad I played Twilight Princess HD and then Wink Waker HD in preparation for this game, because having played BotW I'll never be able to look at them the same way again, ever.

It's like Zelda burst into 3D life with Ocarina, did something fascinating with Majora, took a major risk with Wind Waker... and then stagnated for a decade while the industry left them behind. With this game it feels like Zelda has caught up on a decade of game design ideas in a stroke and surpassed them with Nintendo's sheer genius at designing gameplay systems.

It'll expose the 3D zeldas over the last 10-15 years as being way too safe and close to OoT's template, which I honestly always argued that they were. TP in particular.

doop_

Banned
I'm 75% of the way through the game and will beat it tonight, probably. It's not false.

Big spoilers for people not in this conversation:
The divine beasts are not dungeons. They're a series of 5 puzzles in one big room, really. Not a Zelda dungeon by any description, not shaped like a dungeon... just not.

Yes they are.

Anteo

Whoa, you made bro?

The Wind Waker is a classic and one of the best games ever made. Fight me on it.

Having said that, Breath of the Wild seems like a far more complete game.

Game had potential but you can feel how light in content and rushed was even in the HD version, it was barely holding my atention when I got through those fire and ice islands to get items for the next dungeons, but the final fetch quest was just too much, the Savage Labyrinth made me quit after I got the triforce shard.

Wind Waker <<< Sk6ward Sword.you know to be true

Not sure if you misstyped and meant WW >> SS or you really believe SS >> WW.
I enjoyed SS way more, thats for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom