• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ladies and gentlemen...

I will lose my fucking mind if Nintendo manages to create a Mario and Metroid that are of the same caliber as BotW this generation.

I don't get it.

Multiple times is it mentioned that this game has serious framerate issues. The fun I have with a game is impacted greatly by non stable framerates.

Still this games gets a 10 by the majority of the critics?

Am I mistaken or is stuttering framerates a valid concern?
You're not mistaken but...

It clearly didn't bother them enough, if it bothers you then it does but I'd assume that any technical issues mentioned don't actually detract from the game enough to warrant not giving it a perfect score.

Maybe it'd make you give the game an 8/10 but I wouldn't worry if not even one reviewer has thought that the framerate was bad enough to warrant a lower score.

vareon

Jason Schreier's review on Kotaku made me insanely hyped. Holy hell that guy can convey his feelings into writing very well.

kswiston

While the reviews are stronger than I expected, I don't see how any of you were expecting mid 80s for a Zelda game

Mainline Zelda Console Games
Ocarina of Time - 99
Windwaker - 96
Twilight Princess - 96
Majora's Mask - 95
Skyward Sword - 93

Handheld Zelda
A Link Between Worlds - 91
Phantom Hourglass - 90
Minish Cap - 89
Spirit Tracks - 87

Zelda Remakes
A Link to the Past GBA - 95
Ocarina of Time 3D - 94
Windwaker HD - 90
Majora's Mask 3D - 89
Twilight Princess HD - 86

wmlk

I don't get it.

Multiple times is it mentioned that this game has serious framerate issues. The fun I have with a game is impacted greatly by non stable framerates.

I think frame rate is the reason why it's not a 99.

FinalAres

I feel you. I still have yet to play FFXV so I can't comment on it, but the last time I got my FFVI modern GOAT vibe was from FFXII. It didn't quite make it to the finish line though, so I'm still holding out hope for the complete package.
I really like XII, but for me I last got the true FF feels for XIV, and before that it was FFX.

I'm also yet to play XV, but I trust from people's reactions that it's a really great game with massive faults.

Recreat3

W135O0Q.jpg

brC1ofQ.jpg

Thankyouuu. Sorry about the mess :p

Astral Dog

I don't get it.

Also (again) i would like to introduce you to a game called Bloodborne

I don't get it.

It means you are too GAF for your own good. Just enjoy it man.

br3wnor

I had my doubts w/ this game and wasn't blown away by the early videos but lawd does it seem to have delivered. Should have known to never doubt Nintendo. Don't see myself getting a Switch any time soon but can't wait to tackle this bad boy when the time comes. Sounds absolutely incredible.

The M.O.B

The last open world game where i genuinely enjoyed the main story and characters was the Witcher 3. Before that? ummmmmmmmmm

Most of them are fun to bumble around in and might have interesting side quests and such but the Witcher 3 was the only one I can remember being actually intriguing.

Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor? Nope
Batman Games? Typical comic book stuff
Assassin's Creed games? Not 1-3 that I have played
Fallout? ehhhh Not even New Vegas, though NV had great side quests.
GTA Games? decent effort in some, awful in others
RDR? typical wild west stuff but amazing game
Skyrim? Oblivion? Morrowind? Nahhhhhhhhhhhh, Morrowind probably being the only interesting one

Yes, I don't think Zelda games are particularly know for their story but that it my one big gripe in 99% of open world games. So if BOTW is all it is hyped up to be, It must also have a great story to go along with it.

I usually don't give a fuck about metascore, but this time I'll make an exception. I'm very very happy for Fujibayashi, Aonuma and the rest of the team, but mostly I'm happy that we have something that is a continuous pattern of excellence in this industry in Legend of Zelda. If you can rely on one thing in your gaming life is Zelda being stupendous.

This is a fucking awesome day.

Intel_89

I don't get it.

Technical flaws can be overlooked if a game is as good as BotW appears to be, if that wasn't the case Ocarina of Time wouldn't be considered a masterpiece either as it ran like ass on the N64.

I am so happy to hear this is getting amazing reviews.

There's nothing quite like a new Zelda game, especially a masterpiece like Breath of the Wild is supposed to be.

enbred

Banned
I don't quite get the "I'm not buying a system for one game, even if I really want to play said game" rationale.

After I'm done with Zelda, if there is nothing else compelling me to keep the system, I'll sell it along with my physical copy of the game. With the likely shortages I probably won't lose much if any money (so it would be like I rented the system and the game until I was done with it), and I might even end up making a profit. So it's a no brainer for me.

Granted I don't want to play anything else right now (I have a big backlog that I haven't touched in ages) and don't own an Xbone or PS4 (nor do I want them)... So in a way I'm hoping/banking on Zelda breaking my the curse of my recent disinterest in games.

If I had other titles that I was excited to play now then it would be a different equation.

DrArchon

Why are you all saying that Horizon will suffer the most when the biggest victim is obviously NieR.

Nier's at least releasing on system without Horizon or Zelda to compete with.

Oh wait, SE is playing shell games with the fucking Steam release date so we have no idea when that's happening or what state it'll be in. Nvm Nier is gonna get rekt.

Could somebody who beat the game or spoilered themselves in the spoiler thread tell me if there are more dungeons other than the
Divine Beasts and Hyrule Castle?
Dungeons, that are more in the sense Zelda fans are used to, longer and complex and themed after their enviroment. Yes and No answer is enough for me, thanks!

Xe4

Banned
Damn, them scores impressive. I never made an official prediction, but if I did, it would've been in the low 90's.

I suppose if you're only going to have one notable game at launch, you may as well make it a masterpiece.

Congrats to Nintendo, they deserve all of the praise.

Astral Dog

The last open world game where i genuinely enjoyed the main story and characters was the Witcher 3. Before that? ummmmmmmmmm

Most of them are fun to bumble around in and might have interesting side quests and such but the Witcher 3 was the only one I can remember being actually intriguing.

Assassin's Creed games? Not the 3 of them that I have played
Skyrim? Oblivion? Morrowind? Nahhhhhhhhhhhh, Morrowind probably being the only interesting one

So if BOTW is all it is hyped up to be, It must also have a great story to go along with it.
Zelda is not really about the story or narrative.

It has interesting lore,charming characters,beautiful graphics/music.but don't expect anything complex

Caelus

Could somebody tell me if there are more dungeons other than the
Dungeons, that are more in the sense Zelda fans are used to, longer and complex and themed after their enviroment. Yes and No answer is enough for me, thanks!

Yes, but not part of the main quest.

Griss

So if BOTW is all it is hyped up to be, It must also have a great story to go along with it.

It's not that kind of game. Out of 30 hours played, maybe 40 minutes has been dedicated to story, and what's there in terms of plot complexity is not much more than the original Zelda or Ocarina of Time. And in execution it reminds me of Skyward Sword most of all at times.

If you play games for the story, bear that in mind. This is a Zelda game, and it's a ludo-centric game.

The game isn't being dinged for the mediocre story and mediocre cutscenes because it's clear that that's not where the game's focus is. That said, the NPCs are memorable and will become Zelda faves to replace the likes of Ruto and Darunia.

13ruce

Banned
I don't get it.

There will be a patch to fix that probably.

Yes, I don't think Zelda games are particularly know for their story but that it my one big gripe in 99% of open world games. So if BOTW is all it is hyped up to be, It must also have a great story to go along with it.

Barring a couple exceptions, Zelda games have never been praised for their stories.

Thoraxes

Oh fuck, I decided i'd just skip the thread and read the OP to avoid the tirefire I expected the thread to be... And like, I don't usually use reviews to make my purchasing decisions either.

But I had no idea the reviews were gonna turn out like that o_O

Atram

Could somebody tell me if there are more dungeons other than the

Looks like No, but the new approach to Dungeons seems to make everything right.

Some perspective on Review scores. Here are the top Metacritic scores for games released since 2012 (the last 5+ years).

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (2017): 98
Grand Theft Auto V (2013): 97
The Last of Us (2013): 95
BioShock Infinite (2013): 94
Super Mario 3D World (2013): 93
Metal Gear Solid V: The Phanton Pain (2015): 93
Mass Effect 3 (2012): 93
Uncharted 4: A Thief's End (2013): 93
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (2015): 93

Everything else got a 92 or lower.

jdstorm

Banned
Zelda is not really about the story or narrative.

It has interesting lore,charming characters,beautiful graphics/music.but don't expect anything complex

Come on now. Skyward Sword and Ocarina of Time have better written "Naratives" then most modern story focused games.

Not sure why people always overlook this stuff. Is it the lack of voice acting, mocap and press A to Awesome cutscenes?

Come on now. Skyward Sword and Ocarina of Time have better written "Naratives" then most modern story focused games.

Not sure why people always overlook this stuff. Is it the lack of voice acting, mocap and press A to Awesome cutscenes?

I love those games, but it's not really true

It must be one hell of a game, because the framerate issues displayed in the EZ allies reviews ranged from severe to literal slideshows

Well..I played The Last Guardian on the regular PS4 and it's one of my games of the generation. :D As was Shadow of The Colossus with its 15 fps on the ps2. There will always be two camps of players, I guess. I think as long as it's playable – which Zelda obviously is – it shouldn't detract from the experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom