• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man I'm really concerned about dungeons as they are my fav part of Zelda but I'll go in with an open mind. It doesn't seem to bother many reviewers!

Jarmel

Banned
The comments in the reviews about the story, being mediocre to lackluster, are worrying. That's usually where most open world games fuck up.

As a Final Fantasy fan (which I would suggest has been traditionally the nearest neighbour in terms of popularity, critical reception and nerd appeal) I'm super pleased for you guys. Zelda has retaken the crown. I just hope Ff16 can build off FF15s huge steps forward and give it a run for its money.

I feel you. I still have yet to play FFXV so I can't comment on it, but the last time I got my FFVI modern GOAT vibe was from FFXII. It didn't quite make it to the finish line though, so I'm still holding out hope for the complete package.

Even though the game is getting a perfect 10, I still can't fathom spending $300 just to play one game. I guess I'm just going to go into media blackout until more games are available for the switch.

Plus you've gotta save money to buy whatever crazy deluxe package Brand New has for LP5 this year.

Who am I kidding? We're never getting another album.
The wait has been excruciating. They have been extremely quiet lately so hopefully they are wrapping up the album and it can be released by late summer, early fall!

Gutss

This is the kind of game that really deserves it all, gameplay 1st before anything, take risk, and dont put all your effort on graphics, we want unique games not a movie, wake up devs.

If the industry just follow up with what this zelda has done, we will have a great generation this time, I want to go back to the golden age of gaming.

Peltz

One thing I'll say is that I'm so glad I played Twilight Princess HD and then Wink Waker HD in preparation for this game, because having played BotW I'll never be able to look at them the same way again, ever.

It's like Zelda burst into 3D life with Ocarina, did something fascinating with Majora, took a major risk with Wind Waker... and then stagnated for a decade while the industry left them behind. With this game it feels like Zelda has caught up on a decade of game design ideas in a stroke and surpassed them with Nintendo's sheer genius at designing gameplay systems.

It'll expose the 3D zeldas over the last 10-15 years as being way too safe and close to OoT's template, which I honestly always argued that they were. TP in particular.

Nah, I think this will just exist as a new type of Zelda much how OOT's formula existed along LttP's. Now we have 3 types of Zeldas instead of 2.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
They had enough time in the world to make a perfect Zelda game. I'm excited it got all 10's.

I can't believe that many outlets gave it perfect scores. Another Zelda gets a 40/40 makes me think this tops OOT in all the ways.

iFirez

I did the ground work for one :

But I don't really have time to find good quote from reviews and all to finish it, if someone wants to finish it...

fake edit : just saw that iFirez did it first ( and better ), but hey I also went for the same color scheme.

I actually really like your base too, I wanted to try something a little different with the gold and using Switch Red throughout. I imagine if we did get a GoTY edition it'd be a new piece of artwork.

Tuck

The comments in the reviews about the story, being mediocre to lackluster, are worrying. That's usually where most open world games fuck up.

Disappointing to hear, especially considering its emphasis in the last trailer, though not totally surprising. Zelda games rarely have great stories.

Astral Dog

This could be the Zelda of Galaxy
NieR is very niche. I don't think it has the chance of being a random, "sure I'll try this game out" purchase as much as Horizon and Zelda do.

I think Horizon will sell great and it'll be remembered, but it definitely could have benefited from a week/weekend of being the sole game released with outstanding reviews.
ehh Sony has 50 million + PS4 to sell Horizon to, Nintendo has a $300 tablet and the Wii U

Holy shit. I have no words. Just...wow. I expected greatness, but not a goddamned 98 metascore that seems like it may actually stick.

reKon

Banned

I think innovative game play is what's making up for it, so that would get a pass. I never thought the strength of Zelda games was in the narrative, compared other big action RPGs.

Is there a video review that doesn't try to avoid spoilers ? In the vein of the Gametrailers reviews...I am absolutely not sensitive to spoilers and this is the kind of video reviews that really get me hyped !

Never been more excited about a launch title.

Also never been less excited about a hardware launch.

Guess there is a balance in there somewhere.

Kindekuma

Banned
Where is that Zelda OT though?

I need it.

200.gif

sonto340

Is there a video review that doesn't try to avoid spoilers ? In the vein of the Gametrailers reviews...I am absolutely not sensitive to spoilers and this is the kind of video reviews that really get me hyped !
The giant bomb quick look evidently has some footage from near the end of the game about an hour in.

sfried

Nah. He has a lot of problems with Nintendo as a company, but he's usually pretty positive when it comes to their game output.

I honestly don't care what he says. (He's entitled to his opinion.)

I don't care what anybody says. (They're entitled to their opinion.)

I just wanna play it goddamnit! I wanna do my naked marathon to reaching and beating Calamity Ganon in my trunks!

And burn everything!

SCREAMING. Seriously though, Sony shouldn't have released HZD this weekend. The Zelda buzz will drown it out.

Because Wii U owners are approximately 13.5 million and Switch will ship a low number, maybe 1 million? There's no doubt that breath of the wild will have a crazy good attach rate but look at that install base vs PS4 53 million.

Chaos17

Does it not happen that much with combat? I saw some slowdowns in combat a few times in some videos

No but I would recommand you if you can to install it on the Wii U (so buy it on eshop), I've experience that games I bought digitaly on Wii U ran better than on disc. But, that's maybe just me. I've disc version, tho so I can't directly compare.

jph139

I certainly hope so. I'm not trying to hate on the game. I do see a lot of things I think I would like, but this is also the Zelda game with the most red flags for me. I definitely want to play the game.

I'm in the same boat, honestly. I think it's going to be a great game, but as someone that's never loved sprawling open-world games and prefers more linear puzzles and challenges, I suspect it won't be the Zelda for me.

Still gonna pick up that preorder tomorrow and have fun with it, but I've been hesitant from day one and the reviews in general are confirming those fears.

Because Wii U owners are approximately 13.5 million and Switch will ship a low number, maybe 1 million? There's no doubt that breath of the wild will have a crazy good attach rate but look at that install base vs PS4 53 million.

globally there should be somewhere between 2.5-3 million switches, week 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom