• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am I the only one who's not gushing because of the scores some previous Zelda games have received?. Skyward Sword has a 93, Twilight Princess has a 97 and PH has over 90

I"ve been playing it for about 10-11 hours so far and it's qualitatively different than either of those games.

This game plays like what you remember OOT feeling like as a kid.

Disappointing to hear, especially considering its emphasis in the last trailer, though not totally surprising. Zelda games rarely have great stories.

The story is the most Zelda thing about this game IMO. However Majora's Mask has always been my favorite Zelda game because the world and the characters felt so alive; and I think this game will surpass that.

Griss

Well, now I know why Zelda is the only big switch launch title. Nintendo knew it was all they needed!

That was clearly their strategy from the moment they revealed the game to rapturous praise. They knew exactly what they had on their hands.

I think it is a shame, that Nintendo is just providing the Switch-Version....

I bet the Wii U version will be identical.

I deeply hope it's not identical... I played the Wii U version and it ran like shit, which was a real shame. Hoping to get a Switch in 10 days time and pick the game up there for better performance. I guess Digital Foundry will tell the tale.

H4r4kiri

Can you honestly blame them from a business point of view? They are trying to get the Switch exposed as much as possible.

Not from a business Point of View. Totally understandable. From a human/moral Point of View sill shady.

But I have to criticize the Reviews for hyping up the Game as Switch Game or making it look that the Switch is worth for that Game. Because If the Wii U's version is almost identical, the Switch is not necessary for that game.

And OOT has been supplanted folks! Remember where you were on this day. The next 24 hours will be very very hard.

NOT SO FAST.

in_the_name_of_the_moon___i_ll_punish_you_by_supremechaos918-d7l9jrd.gif

Ocarina of Time cannot be surpassed. This is impossible. You just can't. If Ocarina is the Father, BotW is The Son, and LttP is the Holy Spirit.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
So are we expecting the review to change anything when the probable ~30 more reviews get on metacritic

If it ends up at 99 it'll be crazy.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I"ve been playing it for about 10-11 hours so far and it's qualitatively different than either of those games.

This game plays like what you remember OOT feeling like as a kid.

That feeling of discovery and adventure is back again? I remember playing OOT at a Target kiosk before it came out. I felt like I could have stayed there for hours on end finding new areas to go to.

Futureman

This is pretty crazy. The way it's reviewing, it sounds like it could possibly be the greatest Nintendo game ever made. Switch coming in with a bang.

Tuck

True. My only concern is that there might come some attention seeking reviews that dare to give it an 8 or worse, just to get the traffic, this almost always happens. Still it will most likely end at an 97 score at least, even with some hate reviews -and that in a time where an Uncharted 4 only got a 93 and with this having had the highest score of the whole generation... 'till now.

Lol, even when a game gets great reviews, review threads drag the crazies out of their hiding holes.

big fake

Guys NieR reviews aren't out yet, it can surely eclipse the 98 meta.... :( L. Poor Taro and Co. game will be overshadowed and sadly underscored because reviewers being reviewers.

Didn't we predict Odyssey to be 96, how is that gonna do I wonder.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Awesome reviews but I expected as much. I won't be playing the game any time soon but at least I know it should be really good when I do eventually get to it down the road.

-MB-

I can't wait for Jim Sterlings review. Dude has problems with Nintendo and he's going to take it out on BotW probably

If he does that would out him as a poor games reviewer. You have to review a game on its own merits not on what personal beef u might have with the company that publishes said game. Usually the problem lies not with the developers, but more the suits in said company.

Somehow I doubt he would stoop this low, I might have issues with him concerning his views on Nintendo, but I don't think he would let that cloud his reviews.

The_Lump

Banned
That Guardian quote in OP is great:

Guardian 5/5 Review said:
But the shrine is a fast travel point, offering you the ability to divert from the trek and easily resume it at a later date. And now you’ve got a hundred rupees, you can entice a Great Fairy out of her hiding place. So you head over there, and chat to her, discovering that she’ll enhance your armour. But you need a few more Hightail Lizards to do so – and so you put the trip to Zora’s Domain on hold again, just for a few more minutes …

You look up, and it’s five hours later, and you don’t care.

Perfect.

Hey all, Lou Contaldi (Reviews Editor at DualShockers) -- I was the reviewer, not Giuseppe! Wasn't even aware there was so much controversy about our forthcoming review until I spotted this thread. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Let me know if you have any questions on the review.

LOL this is kind of embarrassing but his comments got discussed a lot a few days ago and everyone got all riled

Pinky

Banned
Excellent, top-notch scores across the board! Zelda is killing it right now! C'mon, GameStop! Hurry up and ship my goods!

I don't get it.

Multiple times is it mentioned that this game has serious framerate issues. The fun I have with a game is impacted greatly by non stable framerates.

Still this games gets a 10 by the majority of the critics?

Am I mistaken or is stuttering framerates a valid concern?

BearPawB

Banned
I don't get it.

Multiple times is it mentioned that this game has serious framerate issues. The fun I have with a game is impacted greatly by non stable framerates.

10 doesn't mean perfect
10 doesn't mean perfect
Just repeat this mantra to yourself until you get it

So weird to see my E3 reaction randomly quoted in this thread, but thanks for that.

Tonight tonight tonight ohhh ohhhhhh!

I cannot wait.

BTW don't skip on horizon, it's a masterpiece too.

I don't get it.

Not enough to lower the impact of the game as a whole, it seems. :)

Astral Dog

I don't get it.

If you can play it on Switch portable it should be more or less stable

I don't get it.

Depends on when and how often they happen. In a field riding your horse and it dips once or twice? Not an issue. Constantly fluctuating most of the time? Definitely an issue.

It seems like people are having a beef with it just because there is nothing else to really find wrong with the game. No modern open world game, PC or no PC has perfect performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom