• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maxinas

Someone needs to make an edit of this with all these 10s.

4b738f6d084b2088fe9a6047f8e4faa230b6c7b2baa3d1db47f956fb65f8f6bd.jpg

Trace

Banned
Woah those scores are just shocking. Like seriously how good can this game be? Is it pulling the nostalgia strings hard? Is that why it's so unanimously loved? I'm sorry but these reviews are just so positive it's unbelievable. I have to try this game now, I'm buying a switch asap.

Combination of the Zelda effect, which inflates review scores slightly, and it being a really good game. Same thing happens to GTA.

tolkir

Being a huge fan of the original NES The Legend of Zelda games, and more recently A Link Between Worlds, I was expecting Nintendo's reincarnation of Zelda to be huge. Unfortunately, blindly going into the game having such high expectations was a mistake. From the screenshots, movies and demo, the game definitely looked promising. Soon after the game begins, however, most of the visual beauty takes a back seat to a bad camera and fairly repetitive gameplay.

To be blunt, the camera system in Breath of the Wild sucks. The game takes place from a 3rd person point of view, and as soon as Link start moving forward it's obvious that the camera sits way too low and too far back. In a tight room or area, the camera attempts to give you the best view possible, but there are always enemies seemingly falling from the sky right beyond your view or shooting arrows at you from off-screen. As soon as you try to re-center the camera and see where the beating is originating from, you end up being surrounded and taking additional damage. The camera has a tendency to just focus on Link at the most inopportune moments and frequently you'll be fighting an attacker you can't even see. In other circumstances, objects and the environment itself will obstruct your view as the camera swings around. I seriously believe I spent more time fighting the camera than the bad guys. The camera issue is extremely frustrating and is clearly the game's primary shortcoming.

From the few instances where the camera does behave, the gameplay in Breath of the Wild isn't necessarily bad. Link unfortunately has nowhere near the amount of technique he has in Skyward Sword. He can block/dodge, perform a regular attack, a special attack, and a long distance attack. Jumping towards certain walls will result in Link either running along or climbing up the wall with the option to perform an attack from that position. Holding the sword up charges up a super special attack, which is unleashed upon the swing of the sword. Eventually Link finds other weapons and learns additional attacks and techniques such as the slingshot and whip. As mentioned earlier, besides attacking from off-screen, enemies will frequently surround Link and begin pounding away. Trying to fight out of those situations will frequently end badly, because as soon as one gets a hit in, the others will take some cheap shots.

Besides the fighting scenes, Breath of the Wild also contains some minor adventure and puzzle elements. Link can find various healing potions, status altering relics, maps, weapons and key-like items. The key items are used to open doors or unlock new areas, and once in a while you'll need to backtrack through previously completed areas to progress through the game. Link can also trade some of the enemy items for various upgrades such as potions and shields whenever he comes across a shop statue. In the end, the adventure elements are uninvolving and simple and serve merely as a way to help break up the action segments.

As touched on earlier, Breath of the Wild is a beautiful looking game. It's obvious that Nintendo knows the Switch hardware well, as most of the environments, animation and effects are gorgeous. The environments are not as interactive as hoped though, with only small, obvious objects such as lanterns, torches and book cases being interactive. Some of the best dungeons look like they were pulled directly from a Studio Ghibli film. However at one point early in the game, Breath of the Wild abruptly shifts from a lush feudal Japanese style to a more modern, sterile, mechanized world. The enemies also follow the same pattern. Later on towards the end, the game takes on a more weird fantasy-like element. There are a few (often confusing) realtime cut-scenes mixed into the game and they are of your typical modern Nintendo variety. The plot and storytelling totally pale in comparison to Skyward Sword on the Wii. Which, for it's time, was a cinematic masterpiece. Overall, Breath of the Wild doesn't really stick to the classic Zelda formula and style, but it's an attractive game nonetheless.

The soundtrack doesn't really stand out and the limited voice acting is quite forgettable. There are some nice sound effects and ambient tunes here and there, though you'll probably hear more sword clashing effects than anything else in the game.

Breath of the Wild is just not the Zelda I expected. It's overwhelmingly mediocre, not enjoyable to play, and the horrendous camera alone destroys any redeeming factors the game may have. Most PlayStation 2 owners should remember Square's similarly overhyped The Bouncer. I'd almost go as far as proclaiming Breath of the Wild to be the Switch equivalent.

Rating: C-

The circle is already complete.

fantomena

But when are we getting the expansion, Breasts of the Wild?

Or "Links in the Wild"

The cruel professor Biglo Mandido experimented with cloning of endangered species in Hyrule, but the experiment went wrong. Somehow, Biglo was able to clone hundreds of Links. Biglo felt threatened and imprisoned the real Link in case the clones would turn on him. Biglo therefore started using the cloned Links to take over the world while holding Link hostage. Now, a scared left-alone Zelda has to be the hero to save Link in the castle of Mount Mandido and stop the cloned Links from taking over the world.

They should have cancelled the wii u version.

Or now at the very least just stop producing them.

This game is the definition of a system seller.

If anything, they should include (when they buy the physical copy of BoTW) a free digital copy of Zelda for ONLY the Switch to entice them to buy the system. People who bought the Wii U are mainly the die hard fans for Nintendo so it would be a warm "Thank you".

phanphare

Banned
Yeah I think this is one of those games that the media just goes crazy with all perfect scores just because its Zelda. I believe the scores are mostly hype induced instead of rational scores. But congrats to them and I guess time will tell where this game stands eventually.

well then

If anything, they should include (when they buy the physical copy of BoTW) a free digital copy of Zelda for ONLY the Switch to entice them to buy the system. People who bought the Wii U are mainly the die hard fans for Nintendo so it would be a warm "Thank you".

People will just resell the code...

I'm a little disappointed. I wanted Super Mario Odyssey to score higher than BotW. 🤣

If BotW maintains the 98 score Odyssey won't be able to get the 99.

But it's crazy. We could have the greatest Zelda and greatest Mario game in the same year. Oh lord *faints*

All these newbies falling for Anihawk's bait, lol.
I know dude, he sure showed them, exposing those posers for not being around since 2006 to understand a forum joke! What a laugh.

On topic I was lukewarm to BotW but have been watching vids for the past hour and my hype levels are increasing. Not buying a switch but I may grab a Wii U copy tomorrow which is rare since I never buy games at launch. Looks to be a true masterpiece.

Alrus

I was looking forward to this game but as engrossing as it seems, I want to not only live in and adventure in but also SMELL the wild. Nintendo could have gotten really innovative and released something like this peripheral but instead chose the easy route.

Zelda BOTW = hard pass

Nosulus-Rift-0.jpg

Joking of course, couldn't be MORE HYPED!!!!!! Review scores are beyond even my lofty expectations.

Is this really a thing that exists?

Yeah I think this is one of those games that the media just goes crazy with all perfect scores just because its Zelda. I believe the scores are mostly hype induced instead of rational scores. But congrats to them and I guess time will tell where this game stands eventually.

900x900px-LL-58cf3418_salt_intensifies.gif

I know dude, he sure showed them, exposing those posers for not being around since 2006 to understand a forum joke! What a laugh.

On topic I was lukewarm to BotW but have been watching vids for the past hour and my hype levels are increasing. Not buying a switch but I may grab a Wii U copy tomorrow which is rare since I never buy games at launch. Looks to be a true masterpiece.

Come on. Comparing it The Bouncer? You must have a really out-of-whack sarcasm detector if you couldn't pick up on that.

LordRaptor

I think a lot of the GTA4 10s were the gaming presses way of saying "sorry we didn't give GTA:SA a 10".

Its like a lifetime achievement oscar

kAmui-

Yeah.. people all got on the crazy hype train with that game. V is a much much better game. Maybe they waited too long for another GTA game.

The Fuck is Tony hawk doing there?

Being one of the best games of all time. Although personally I think 3 is even better than 2.

renzolama

They should have cancelled the wii u version.

Or now at the very least just stop producing them.

This game is the definition of a system seller.

Yeah, totally. Further alienating their most dedicated fans by canceling the game many of them bought a Wii U for sounds like a real pro-consumer feel good move.

Taurus

I've been following gaming closely since 2003 and have viewed Metacritic thousands of times throughout that time. How on Earth have I never been aware of Tony fricken Hawk being up that high? D:
Checking out Metacritic.com, huh? Get back to your astronomy books, NOW!

Nibel

Aight Ani's post was 1000% worth it now

Lemondish

I think a lot of that has to do with nostalgia. I'm not saying nostalgia is bad, or that it blinds people from being fair or balance, because that in itself would be unfair. Nostalgia is more than just a fond recollection - it's a real feeling that can either heighten or depress your experience. For many, it seems Breath of the Wild taps into the fond memories many gamers have of Ocarina of Time and wraps that all together with beautiful art direction and classic Nintendo charm.

But for me, I need reviews from someone who doesn't seem to be influenced by that nostalgic feeling or never had it (they don't exist). It's really the only rational view I can accept since I am sadly without any of those fond memories. I can't reminisce about Zelda, so I probably wouldn't be able to get over some of these issues.

Being one of the best games of all time. Although personally I think 3 is even better than 2.

4 is actually my favorite for removing the time limit in Career Mode.

And yes, the first four THPS games are four of the best sports games ever made. At least one of them deserves a top 10 GOAT slot. Any one, really.

Caja 117

Im tempted on just buying a switch just for this, is theres a big difference between the Switch version and the WiiU version?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom