• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup. It's hermit mode all weekend. I don't think there was any doubt that this would be great, but goddamn at some of the comments from reviewers. Some of them are just straight up hype. I am not ready.

KScorp

I think a lot of that has to do with nostalgia. I'm not saying nostalgia is bad, or that it blinds people from being fair or balance, because that in itself would be unfair. Nostalgia is more than just a fond recollection - it's a real feeling that can either heighten or depress your experience. For many, it seems Breath of the Wild taps into the fond memories many gamers have of Ocarina of Time and wraps that all together with beautiful art direction and classic Nintendo charm.

But for me, that review you linked is the only voice that matters. Someone who doesn't seem to be influenced by that nostalgic feeling. It's really the only rational view I can accept since I am sadly without any of those fond memories. I can't reminisce about Zelda, so I probably wouldn't be able to get over some of these issues that review points out.

I can't tell what's real anymore

Futureman

Yup. It's hermit mode all weekend. I don't think there was any doubt that this would be great, but goddamn at some of the comments from reviewers. Some of them are just straight up hype. I am not ready.

Hey it's the Nintendo Switch. You could go to that fancy new nightclub in town tomorrow night and play Zelda. No more hermit!

Daft_Cat

Yeah I think this is one of those games that the media just goes crazy with all perfect scores just because its Zelda.

Yupp. It also explains why, even with game journalism's growing aversion to hyperbolic reviews, Breath of the Wild remains the single best scoring installment in the Zelda franchise in decades. Just narrowly missing the high-water mark set by Ocarina of Time, which is widely considered to be one of the very best games of all time.

Deep deep sale.

anihawk i love you bro

Yeah I think this is one of those games that the media just goes crazy with all perfect scores just because its Zelda. I believe the scores are mostly hype induced instead of rational scores. But congrats to them and I guess time will tell where this game stands eventually.

lmaooooooo

VanWinkle

That Easy Allies review seems like they're just trying to stir controversy.

Like okay, it's one thing if you don't think it deserves a perfect score.

But a 4.5??

Even Bloodrayne got a 6.

Some people just want to cause needless trouble. Tsk tsk.

Umm... It's 4.5/5. Although maybe you're joking. I don't even know anymore with this review thread stuff.

hamsjams

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 was a damn cultural phenomenon when it released. A large portion of the skateboarding craze of the 00s was almost certainly directly caused by the quality and success of those early Tony Hawk games.

It's one of the games at that score that MOST deserves it.

jariw

They should have cancelled the wii u version.

Or now at the very least just stop producing them.

This game is the definition of a system seller.

Lots of people bought their Wii U long ago just to be able to play the new Zelda. It was intended for the Wii U, it should be available for the Wii U. At least if Nintendo wants the customer to support their company in the future.

Canucked

These reviews. Wow. I was able to order a Special Edition but I won't have a switch until I can find one.

I wanna play it so bad.

Albo

Someone needs to make an edit of this with all these 10s.

4b738f6d084b2088fe9a6047f8e4faa230b6c7b2baa3d1db47f956fb65f8f6bd.jpg

botw10qeu0a.png

RowdyReverb

Yeah I think this is one of those games that the media just goes crazy with all perfect scores just because its Zelda. I believe the scores are mostly hype induced instead of rational scores. But congrats to them and I guess time will tell where this game stands eventually.
My history with Zelda is limited to playing LTTP for the first time a couple years ago and all of the vids of this game have gotten me very excited for it. I think it legitimately looks like a fun game, even though I wouldn't consider myself a fan of the series

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom