• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maxinas

botw10qeu0a.png

Perfect. 10/10.

phanphare

Banned
I think a lot of that has to do with nostalgia. I'm not saying nostalgia is bad, or that it blinds people from being fair or balance, because that in itself would be unfair. Nostalgia is more than just a fond recollection - it's a real feeling that can either heighten or depress your experience. For many, it seems Breath of the Wild taps into the fond memories many gamers have of Ocarina of Time and wraps that all together with beautiful art direction and classic Nintendo charm.

But for me, I need reviews from someone who doesn't seem to be influenced by that nostalgic feeling or never had it (they don't exist). It's really the only rational view I can accept since I am sadly without any of those fond memories. I can't reminisce about Zelda, so I probably wouldn't be able to get over some of these issues.

4809780459_807b359a89.jpg

breakfuss

Yup. It's hermit mode all weekend. I don't think there was any doubt that this would be great, but goddamn at some of the comments from reviewers. Some of them are just straight up hype. I am not ready.

Fucking sucks that I'm not off until Sunday. Trying to be responsible here but I'm tempted to have "sick day" and start my weekend early lol. These reviews have have sent my previous mild anticipation through the roof.

I thought we were supposed to get snipperclips reviews too? Looking for that and Zelda to hold me over for a long time. Zelda so far looks like it'll fit the bill

Lemondish

I can't tell what's real anymore

Well, I guess this explains how the thread got so big. I didn't realize I got trolled so hard lol

It's a good thing we finally have confirmation that review threads are universally worthless these days, though. For a moment there I thought there was an actual legitimate dissenting voice.

aBarreras

I think a lot of that has to do with nostalgia. I'm not saying nostalgia is bad, or that it blinds people from being fair or balance, because that in itself would be unfair. Nostalgia is more than just a fond recollection - it's a real feeling that can either heighten or depress your experience. For many, it seems Breath of the Wild taps into the fond memories many gamers have of Ocarina of Time and wraps that all together with beautiful art direction and classic Nintendo charm.

But for me, I need reviews from someone who doesn't seem to be influenced by that nostalgic feeling or never had it (they don't exist). It's really the only rational view I can accept since I am sadly without any of those fond memories. I can't reminisce about Zelda, so I probably wouldn't be able to get over some of these issues.

dualshockers said that even if it wasnt zelda the game would be up there with the bigs.

take it as you will

edit: oh waaaaaait you though a troll review by a user here was a legit review????????? LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLL

I can't tell what's real anymore
For all the finger pointing people do about Zelda fans whining about lower/non-perfect scores, the real best kept open-secret are those who exhibit salt over the games' high scores.

They haven't played the game but they just know the game couldn't possibly deserve it cause "Zelda hype" .

Moppeh

Banned

So you want robots to review it?

Neoweee

Yes, it brought the noise.

Seriously, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 existed in a different era of reviews. It deserved that 98 for the era.

Agreed.

I honestly think the rating systems in DMC/Bayonetta owe greatly to the rating systems and point mechanics that Tony Hawk really popularized. It remains a series of great historical importance in the development of gaming.

Sizzel

Wow. so still hopeful this is not Uncharted 4 artificial nostalgia based high scoring... I am super ready for tomorrow at any rate;) I am hoping for a legit GOTY. Sorry Horizon.

jviggy43

Entirety of reviews: BOTW is the first zelda game in years to break with tradition and evolve the series into one of the best entries ever.

Lemondish: I need to see something not blinded by nostalgia.

VanWinkle

So, I watched one video review on my lunch, from Easy Allies. I wanted to ask you guys who have read/watched a bunch of reviews about the framerate. It looked like there were some genuinely terrible moments. Do many reviews talk about the framerate and how frequent the heavy drops are? (And I know it's better in portable mode.)

Astral Dog

Wow. so still hopeful this is not Uncharted 4 artificial nostalgia based high scoring... I am super ready for tomorrow at any rate;) I am hoping for a legit GOTY. Sorry Horizon.
Uncharted 4 doesn't have anything to do with this,totally different genres,series,goals,etc. If you like Zelda you will love BoTW

Kinsei

Banned
So, I watched one video review on my lunch, from Easy Allies. I wanted to ask you guys who have read/watched a bunch of reviews about the framerate. It looked like there were some genuinely terrible moments. Do many reviews talk about the framerate and how frequent the heavy drops are? (And I know it's better in portable mode.)

The Gamexplain review mentioned the drops shown in the Easy Allies review but it never happened often enough to them for it to be a big deal.

Yeah, I'm gonna have to buy a Switch. I'm thinking April after I'm done with Horizon, Mass Effect and Persona.

I was surprised by the severity of the framerate drops in the Allies review though.

Generate

Banned
Impressive for an open world game of any type to score that high because of the huge amount of opportunity for things to go wrong. For it to stay that high consistently means Nintendo put ungodly amount of hours into developing and polishing this game.
To be honest Im a little concerned about taking Zelda away from some of the things I loved so much, but it was definitely time to change up the formula and they seem to have done that incredibly successfully. Its nearly time for all of us to make up our own minds about it, which is when the game will truly shine or fade.

Statistically how many more 10s would we need?

Metacritic uses a weighted average (and they don't share how they weight), so it's hard to say. I did some calculations and if it was unweighted, it would need more than 30 additional 10s. It's weighted score seems to be higher than its unweighted score right now though, as it's in the middle of the 98 bracket but the unweighted average is 97.5167.

I think the fact that it's in the middle of the 98 bracket after 60 reviews makes it safe to say the 98 locked in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom