• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

clemenx

Banned
Tony Hawk was legit awesome. Weirdly enough, the version I played the most was the GBA one. Which was mindblowing compared to other portable games. The freaking thing was a launch game lol.

Being a huge fan of the original NES The Legend of Zelda games, and more recently A Link Between Worlds, I was expecting Nintendo's reincarnation of Zelda to be huge. Unfortunately, blindly going into the game having such high expectations was a mistake. From the screenshots, movies and demo, the game definitely looked promising. Soon after the game begins, however, most of the visual beauty takes a back seat to a bad camera and fairly repetitive gameplay.

To be blunt, the camera system in Breath of the Wild sucks. The game takes place from a 3rd person point of view, and as soon as Link start moving forward it's obvious that the camera sits way too low and too far back. In a tight room or area, the camera attempts to give you the best view possible, but there are always enemies seemingly falling from the sky right beyond your view or shooting arrows at you from off-screen. As soon as you try to re-center the camera and see where the beating is originating from, you end up being surrounded and taking additional damage. The camera has a tendency to just focus on Link at the most inopportune moments and frequently you'll be fighting an attacker you can't even see. In other circumstances, objects and the environment itself will obstruct your view as the camera swings around. I seriously believe I spent more time fighting the camera than the bad guys. The camera issue is extremely frustrating and is clearly the game's primary shortcoming.

From the few instances where the camera does behave, the gameplay in Breath of the Wild isn't necessarily bad. Link unfortunately has nowhere near the amount of technique he has in Skyward Sword. He can block/dodge, perform a regular attack, a special attack, and a long distance attack. Jumping towards certain walls will result in Link either running along or climbing up the wall with the option to perform an attack from that position. Holding the sword up charges up a super special attack, which is unleashed upon the swing of the sword. Eventually Link finds other weapons and learns additional attacks and techniques such as the slingshot and whip. As mentioned earlier, besides attacking from off-screen, enemies will frequently surround Link and begin pounding away. Trying to fight out of those situations will frequently end badly, because as soon as one gets a hit in, the others will take some cheap shots.

Besides the fighting scenes, Breath of the Wild also contains some minor adventure and puzzle elements. Link can find various healing potions, status altering relics, maps, weapons and key-like items. The key items are used to open doors or unlock new areas, and once in a while you'll need to backtrack through previously completed areas to progress through the game. Link can also trade some of the enemy items for various upgrades such as potions and shields whenever he comes across a shop statue. In the end, the adventure elements are uninvolving and simple and serve merely as a way to help break up the action segments.

As touched on earlier, Breath of the Wild is a beautiful looking game. It's obvious that Nintendo knows the Switch hardware well, as most of the environments, animation and effects are gorgeous. The environments are not as interactive as hoped though, with only small, obvious objects such as lanterns, torches and book cases being interactive. Some of the best dungeons look like they were pulled directly from a Studio Ghibli film. However at one point early in the game, Breath of the Wild abruptly shifts from a lush feudal Japanese style to a more modern, sterile, mechanized world. The enemies also follow the same pattern. Later on towards the end, the game takes on a more weird fantasy-like element. There are a few (often confusing) realtime cut-scenes mixed into the game and they are of your typical modern Nintendo variety. The plot and storytelling totally pale in comparison to Skyward Sword on the Wii. Which, for it's time, was a cinematic masterpiece. Overall, Breath of the Wild doesn't really stick to the classic Zelda formula and style, but it's an attractive game nonetheless.

The soundtrack doesn't really stand out and the limited voice acting is quite forgettable. There are some nice sound effects and ambient tunes here and there, though you'll probably hear more sword clashing effects than anything else in the game.

Breath of the Wild is just not the Zelda I expected. It's overwhelmingly mediocre, not enjoyable to play, and the horrendous camera alone destroys any redeeming factors the game may have. Most PlayStation 2 owners should remember Square's similarly overhyped The Bouncer. I'd almost go as far as proclaiming Breath of the Wild to be the Switch equivalent.

Rating: C-

nvm...

rhandino

Banned
Most Gamecube owners should remember Retro's similarly over hyped Metroid Prime. I'd almost go as far as proclaiming Twilight Princess to be the Wii equivalent.
Most PlayStation 3 owners should remember Factor 5's similarly overhyped Lair. I'd almost go as far as proclaiming Skyward Sword to be the Wii equivalent.
Most PlayStation 2 owners should remember Square's similarly overhyped The Bouncer. I'd almost go as far as proclaiming Breath of the Wild to be the Switch equivalent
9c469fe616.gif

NSESN

Being a huge fan of the original NES The Legend of Zelda games, and more recently A Link Between Worlds, I was expecting Nintendo's reincarnation of Zelda to be huge. Unfortunately, blindly going into the game having such high expectations was a mistake. From the screenshots, movies and demo, the game definitely looked promising. Soon after the game begins, however, most of the visual beauty takes a back seat to a bad camera and fairly repetitive gameplay.

Breath of the Wild is just not the Zelda I expected. It's overwhelmingly mediocre, not enjoyable to play, and the horrendous camera alone destroys any redeeming factors the game may have. Most PlayStation 2 owners should remember Square's similarly overhyped The Bouncer. I'd almost go as far as proclaiming Breath of the Wild to be the Switch equivalent.

Cranky. Very cranky.
Rather sarcastic to boot.

Caelus

Yeah I think this is one of those games that the media just goes crazy with all perfect scores just because its Zelda. I believe the scores are mostly hype induced instead of rational scores. But congrats to them and I guess time will tell where this game stands eventually.

Lol, you are aware that's a meme post?

Yeah I think this is one of those games that the media just goes crazy with all perfect scores just because its Zelda. I believe the scores are mostly hype induced instead of rational scores. But congrats to them and I guess time will tell where this game stands eventually.

All these newbies falling for Anihawk's bait, lol.

Bronx-Man

Banned

To be blunt, the camera system in Breath of the Wild sucks. The game takes place from a 3rd person point of view, and as soon as Link start moving forward it's obvious that the camera sits way too low and too far back. In a tight room or area, the camera attempts to give you the best view possible, but there are always enemies seemingly falling from the sky right beyond your view or shooting arrows at you from off-screen. As soon as you try to re-center the camera and see where the beating is originating from, you end up being surrounded and taking additional damage. The camera has a tendency to just focus on Link at the most inopportune moments and frequently you'll be fighting an attacker you can't even see. In other circumstances, objects and the environment itself will obstruct your view as the camera swings around. I seriously believe I spent more time fighting the camera than the bad guys. The camera issue is extremely frustrating and is clearly the game's primary shortcoming.

From the few instances where the camera does behave, the gameplay in Breath of the Wild isn't necessarily bad. Link unfortunately has nowhere near the amount of technique he has in Skyward Sword. He can block/dodge, perform a regular attack, a special attack, and a long distance attack. Jumping towards certain walls will result in Link either running along or climbing up the wall with the option to perform an attack from that position. Holding the sword up charges up a super special attack, which is unleashed upon the swing of the sword. Eventually Link finds other weapons and learns additional attacks and techniques such as the slingshot and whip. As mentioned earlier, besides attacking from off-screen, enemies will frequently surround Link and begin pounding away. Trying to fight out of those situations will frequently end badly, because as soon as one gets a hit in, the others will take some cheap shots.

Besides the fighting scenes, Breath of the Wild also contains some minor adventure and puzzle elements. Link can find various healing potions, status altering relics, maps, weapons and key-like items. The key items are used to open doors or unlock new areas, and once in a while you'll need to backtrack through previously completed areas to progress through the game. Link can also trade some of the enemy items for various upgrades such as potions and shields whenever he comes across a shop statue. In the end, the adventure elements are uninvolving and simple and serve merely as a way to help break up the action segments.

As touched on earlier, Breath of the Wild is a beautiful looking game. It's obvious that Nintendo knows the Switch hardware well, as most of the environments, animation and effects are gorgeous. The environments are not as interactive as hoped though, with only small, obvious objects such as lanterns, torches and book cases being interactive. Some of the best dungeons look like they were pulled directly from a Studio Ghibli film. However at one point early in the game, Breath of the Wild abruptly shifts from a lush feudal Japanese style to a more modern, sterile, mechanized world. The enemies also follow the same pattern. Later on towards the end, the game takes on a more weird fantasy-like element. There are a few (often confusing) realtime cut-scenes mixed into the game and they are of your typical modern Nintendo variety. The plot and storytelling totally pale in comparison to Skyward Sword on the Wii. Which, for it's time, was a cinematic masterpiece. Overall, Breath of the Wild doesn't really stick to the classic Zelda formula and style, but it's an attractive game nonetheless.

The soundtrack doesn't really stand out and the limited voice acting is quite forgettable. There are some nice sound effects and ambient tunes here and there, though you'll probably hear more sword clashing effects than anything else in the game.

Pure poetry.

Puruzi

Banned

lmao get baited

dhMeAzK.gif

Tookay

You realize it was a joke post right?

Sane_Man

I'm legit laughing out loud.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus

Hah, I got this

Raven77

I was looking forward to this game but as engrossing as it seems, I want to not only live in and adventure in but also SMELL the wild. Nintendo could have gotten really innovative and released something like this peripheral but instead chose the easy route.

Zelda BOTW = hard pass

Nosulus-Rift-0.jpg

Joking of course, couldn't be MORE HYPED!!!!!! Review scores are beyond even my lofty expectations.

They should have cancelled the wii u version.

Or now at the very least just stop producing them.

This game is the definition of a system seller.

Trace

Banned
You realize it was a joke post right?

He's too busy looking for ways to say the game isn't as good as reviews say.

They should have cancelled the wii u version.

Or now at the very least just stop producing them.

This game is the definition of a system seller.

That would be the biggest "fuck you" to Wii U buyers of all time. They delayed it until the Switch launch already, it should have been out on Wii U ages ago.

Bwaha.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
i am more impressed by the dedication than anything else

I mean, nothing against Anihawk or anything, but it's not like there are console Zeldas that show up very often to begin with, and also not like copying and pasting and modifying/switching a few words here and there takes that much effort.

HMD

Woah those scores are just shocking. Like seriously how good can this game be? Is it pulling the nostalgia strings hard? Is that why it's so unanimously loved? I'm sorry but these reviews are just so positive it's unbelievable. I have to try this game now, I'm buying a switch asap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom