• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons/Ages 3DS VC release |OT|

Replaying Link's Awakening just made me realize how fucking annoying switching items is with only 2 buttons. God especially on the 3DS where the start button isn't that easy to push.

Replaying Link's Awakening just made me realize how fucking annoying switching items is with only 2 buttons. God especially on the 3DS where the start button isn't that easy to push.

Much easier on the XL ;)

But yeah I agree... it literally would have only taken 20 or so lines of code in the emulator to add item switching via x and y... but Nintendo probably doesn't want to mess with the games, even if something simple could improve it greatly.

I've owned one of these long ago. Are they two different games or is it like Pokemon?

Completely different games, but with an overarching story (completely different dungeons, characters, etc. Completing one then doing the other unlocks additional characters in the second game and a final boss)

RussellXV

Completely different games, but with an overarching story (completely different dungeons, characters, etc. Completing one then doing the other unlocks additional characters in the second game and a final boss)

I guess I'll be purchasing both. Which one should I start first?

I didn't play them when they first came out so my body is ready! I finished Link's Awakening recently in preparation for these. I played it as my first Zelda but being a kid I didn't understand english that well and never got past the second dungeon... maybe third.

So I gather the preferred order is Seasons then Ages? I think I'll go with that.

Soul Beat

I'm so ready for these. Nintendo pre-paid card is on stand by.

Really wish I didn't have to get another card to buy Mega Man X though. -_-

TDLink

I guess I'll be purchasing both. Which one should I start first?

Seasons > Ages is the canonical order. Ages is also more difficult than Seasons so I am pretty sure that is the intended order also. You can play it in reverse if you want though, obviously.

StAidan

I started in on Seasons for the first time yesterday (physical cart, not VC) and have found that it has a pretty familiar Zelda feel to it, unlike how I felt with Capcom's other release (Minish Cap). So far I'm liking it, although as with Link's Awakening I don't like how exploration in Zelda became so limited by what items you have in your inventory.

I'm still early in the game, but I enjoyed the heavy dose of nostalgia that came with the
first dungeon
:p

Roto13

Just finished replaying Link's Awakening (for the zillionth time) and I can't wait for these. These are my least played Zeldas, even though they're awesome. It has been a long time since I played them.

GAF, I only played Ages and beat it when it first came out.

Buying both and wondering which one to start first? Should I relive ages and start fresh with seasons or play seasons first and go back to the past with ages?

Decisions, decisions. :p

SirNinja

Oracle of Ages is one of the only Zeldas I've never played, so I'm really looking forward to this release. I barely even remember my playthrough of Seasons (other than that it was quite good), so I'm definitely getting both.

Pastry

Banned
So do these come out tonight or tomorrow? Also is it midnight release? I don't really know how the eshop works. For iOS games will be released at midnight eastern time.

Did we ever find out if the Advance shops will be open in the VC versions? If not I may have to just buy Seasons and dig out my physical copy of Ages.

Also 9am Eastern or Pacific?

GAF, I only played Ages and beat it when it first came out.

Buying both and wondering which one to start first? Should I relive ages and start fresh with seasons or play seasons first and go back to the past with ages?

Decisions, decisions. :p

I recommend starting with Seasons, that way when you get to Ages it will benefit from having the additional content through linking. It will be a different experience that way.

Am I remembering wrong, or were there some GBA only shops you could go into but only by playing these games on a GBA?

Will this count as playing on a GBA, or on a GBC?

EDIt beaten :|

Tnetennba

Been waiting for the day these would pop up since I first grabbed my 3DS. These are two of the only Zelda games I've never played so I'm super excited to get tore into both of them for the first time. Thinking I'll start with Seasons, does it make a difference which order I tackle them in?

bndadm

I thought these were going to be available over Memorial Weekend. So I rushed to my 3DS and booted up into the eshop....

My dissapointment was all-encompassing.

I seem to get a little bit farther every time I play Seasons (never touched Ages) but I think a part of me is overwhelmed by the size of the game and how much is tradable and such.

Berordn

Been waiting for the day these would pop up since I first grabbed my 3DS. These are two of the only Zelda games I've never played so I'm super excited to get tore into both of them for the first time. Thinking I'll start with Seasons, does it make a difference which order I tackle them in?

There are some fairly hefty changes in the second game you play, with some unique scenes in each game if they're the second one played (though the finale is the same in both). Ultimately it's worth experiencing both play orders at some point, but it doesn't really matter which you tackle first. Ages is considered the easier one though, so that might be worth tackling first.

Vibed

I love these games. I remember when I was in 1st grade I had a Rayman GBA game and I couldn't get past a level in the second world, so I traded it with a friend for Ages. Amazing decision, if not for the fact that I couldn't beat the second dungeon's boss with the spinning faces due to the difficult timing. I beat the game a few years later. However, I always wanted to get my mitts on Seasons. I had the chance several times but always ended up missing them. I got it like new online this past December. When I linked up the games and completed that it marked the last Zelda game I hadn't completed. Best duo ever!

By the way, did anyone post the password generator yet? It's helpful for getting certain rings (like a few that require a lot of luck + perfect scores in minigames) or for starting off the game with a Hero's secret. I wanted to play through the games both ways 100%, but that normally requires a full 8 playthroughs, so I used this to cut it down to 4. I encourage everyone to play through Seasons->Ages and Ages->Seasons because there's an exclusive bonus dungeon each way through.

#TeamAges

Merovin

I love these games. I remember when I was in 1st grade I had a Rayman GBA game and I couldn't get past a level in the second world, so I traded it with a friend for Ages. Amazing decision, if not for the fact that I couldn't beat the second dungeon's boss with the spinning faces due to the difficult timing. I beat the game a few years later. However, I always wanted to get my mitts on Seasons. I had the chance several times but always ended up missing them. I got it like new online this past December. When I linked up the games and completed that it marked the last Zelda game I hadn't completed. Best duo ever!

By the way, did anyone post the password generator yet? It's helpful for getting certain rings (like a few that require a lot of luck + perfect scores in minigames) or for starting off the game with a Hero's secret. I wanted to play through the games both ways 100%, but that normally requires a full 8 playthroughs, so I used this to cut it down to 4. I encourage everyone to play through Seasons->Ages and Ages->Seasons because there's an exclusive bonus dungeon each way through.

#TeamAges

Ages is by far my favourite Zelda game, cannot wait for tomorrow.

Tnetennba

There are some fairly hefty changes in the second game you play, with some unique scenes in each game if they're the second one played (though the finale is the same in both). Ultimately it's worth experiencing both play orders at some point, but it doesn't really matter which you tackle first. Ages is considered the easier one though, so that might be worth tackling first.

Excellent! Ages first for this playthrough in that case. Thanks for that!

Sound like this is going to keep me busy until Animal Crossing. Tomorrow can't come quick enough.

Vibed

Excellent! Ages first for this playthrough in that case. Thanks for that!

Sound like this is going to keep me busy until Animal Crossing. Tomorrow can't come quick enough.

Actually I'd say Ages is harder because of those puzzles. Combat in both is a cakewalk, and Seasons focuses on combat with the occasional brain-dead easy puzzle. I was actually stumped on a few of Ages' puzzles, the lament of returning to Jabu Jabu's Belly here in this thread should be a testament to that.

Plus Seasons to Ages gets an exclusive and cool plot/gameplay event that I personally prefer to the one that happens the other way around:
There's a sequence in an Ages linked game that plays like Donkey Kong! Also, if you play Ages first, you can't access one square on it's map. :(

Did we ever find out if the Advance shops will be open in the VC versions? If not I may have to just buy Seasons and dig out my physical copy of Ages.

Wikipedia says no to the Advance shops:

The games feature a brighter color palette when played on a Nintendo Game Boy Advance in order to make up for the darkness of the screen, and a special shop is also made available. However, this shop isn't available on the Virtual Console version of the games.

I suppose that makes sense since they are selling it as a GBC game, but it's rather silly since they could have easily done something about it.

Vibed

Wikipedia says no to the Advance shops:

I suppose that makes sense since they are selling it as a GBC game, but it's rather silly since they could have easily done something about it.

So, again, the password generator would be a big help to completionists...but you do need to know the ID of the file you're playing (randomly generated hidden code that determines your passwords). I managed to reverse engineer it because I needed to figure it out, but it takes quite a while to actually do. I have my own instructions in a text file to remind myself how to do it if I ever wanted to take on a task like that again.

Have Ocarina of Seasons...was Ages that much better?

I generally want to play another 2D Zelda game. I did not enjoy OoT 3DS for some reason :/ Hope not all 3D Zeldas are like that, as I oddly enjoyed the 2D games so far

Sora_N

Gonna buy these, never owned Seasons and didn't finish Ages. My GBC is gone now.

How were these games linked again?

Mr. Fix

Gonna buy these, never owned Seasons and didn't finish Ages. My GBC is gone now.

How were these games linked again?

Passwords that you use to start a new file for the other game. Gives you access to the master sword, mirror shield, bombus, and other bonuses you normally can't get on a lone file. Also opens up the final story segment with 3 "true" final bosses.

Kaldea

So happy to get these games again and have them in one place with Link's Awakening. I will always love my carts though. :D

MadD4mon

Passwords that you use to start a new file for the other game. Gives you access to the master sword, mirror shield, bombus, and other bonuses you normally can't get on a lone file. Also opens up the final story segment with 3 "true" final bosses.

Do I have to play them in a specific order? Or do I just have to finish one and type the password at the start of the other one?

Top Bottom