• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

Dascu

matthewd49 said:
oh okay, that sounds kind of cool. are they still as incredibly difficult to spot as well?
From what I've seen, they seem to be much more obvious and often give their presence away by sound. There's also apparently some item/medal? that marks the location of bugs on your map.

Crunched said:
TSA, has your opinion of the game changed at all since new reviews have popped up and you've spent more time with it? Still say Twilight Princess is the better game? More on equal footing?

Let me go over my points again from my initial impressions (which I had written up after just beating the game for the first time. I am still favoring Twilight Princess, though. Let me revisit my points and see if I still feel as strongly now.

Boss Battles - Yea, I still think the game has some pretty good boss battles.

Soundtrack - Except for a few of the dungeon tracks (I'm looking at you
third dungeon
), I really liked the soundtrack.

Side Quests - As I said, the NPC driven ones felt more like Majora's Mask, which is a game I really like and want more games in the series to strive for. I just wish it was tied a bit more into the core structure, like in Majora's Mask (or even Xenoblade).

Most of the dungeons - Everything after the second dungeon is pretty good.
Third dungeon is awesome, fourth dungeon had some cool design ideas, fifth dungeon was very good, sixth dungeon was kinda meh

Motion+ - For the most part, I enjoyed this stuff. I will still say some parts of the game should have stuck to regular controls (ie, analog movement - looking at you swimming), but I would like to maybe see more of a fusion going forward.

Upgrade System - This was a good concept that I think wasn't utilized to its fullest. They really needed to push it further, and I hope it returns in a more refined form next time. Also, please don't make me have to watch the item description plus putting it in my inventory every single time I get the same item after resuming play after powering off my consoles.

Durability Mechanic - Again, I still love that your shield can break. I wish maybe they would extend this to other items.

The First Two Dungeons - I still agree that these weren't the finest examples of dungeon design. I said they were shorter, and I can personally vouch that
Skyview
and
Earth Temples
take 15-16 minutes now on my replays, wheres dungeons after them take 30-40 minutes still. I dislike
Skyview
more than
Earth
, and I did think
rolling on the rock in lava
was pretty cool.

The Warp System - I still think this was a poor design choice. What happens when you accidentally warp to a spot you didn't mean to and it's quite far from your goal? The process of warping has one too many steps in it, but it isn't as big of a deal as you may think. It was just a minor issue to me.

The Sky - There's just so little to do there. I think there's
three islands with NPCs/activities
other than Skyloft. The others just house enemies or chests locked until you hit their companion Goddess Cubes. There are a few more things to do than I originally thought, though. Try skydiving over the volcano like island, or fly too high in some spots. Minor things, but cool. Still, just not nearly enough to do. I thought there would be cool minigames with the flying or something.

The Overworld - My problem isn't that there isn't a seamless overworld, it's just that I keep going back to the same three regions. I know you go to different areas of those regions and they sometimes change, too, but I felt like most of the zones were sparsely populated, and, outside of your main objective, had little else to do. I would be totally fine with this design if there was just a bit more density. I mean, I hate to say it, but look at Dark Souls or Arkaham City. Seamless overworlds that have a lot of density in them, lots of side activities, and a huge emphasis on exploring. It wasn't there for me in Skyward Sword. It wasn't the worst thing, but it was a bit of a let down.

Fetch Quests - Originally I whined about backtracking in general here, but it's evolved into my dislike of some of the fetch quests in this game. The game has a lot of padding in the form of fetch quests, and while it isn't at RARE levels, it was enough to get annoying at times. I would have preferred that they work on new areas or something. I get that backtracking isn't bad, and I like games like Metroid. I said it was like Temple of the Ocean King, but it's not quite that bad at all. It's just not done nearly as well as you've seen in other games, like Metroid.

The Silent Realm - Whatever, this part isn't that bad honestly. There's some moments of tension, but it's actually just too easy for me? I would have rather had the concept developed a bit more.

The Stamina Gauge - Okay, I did a bad job of explaining why I don't like this. The new mechanics given to you (running, jumping, leaping) are a huge positive to me. A stamina gauge is not inherently bad, either. It's just that it's a static limitation you can never change. I get why it is the way it is due to the design of the areas, but I was expecting a way to upgrade my stamina at some point. The fact I can't really do anything about it is a bit frustrating. Plus, some actions don't tap into the stamina, while others do? You can side hop and backflip all you want, but I can't run for more than a few seconds. Plus, when you're hanging on vines, you can cancel the depletion of the gauge by using an item, which makes no sense. It did not ruin the game and wasn't the worst thing, though.

Item Variety - I am one of those people who was not happy that you'd get an item once and never use it again (Spinner in Twilight Princess, anyone). What Skyward Sword did - making you have to continuously re-use your items to solve puzzles - was a great idea and I liked that part. I just think they didn't have enough usable items in general, and as a result, things got a bit too predictable in the later parts. Just throw in a few more items and maybe think of a few more clever ways to use existing ones, and it would be awesome.

Lack of Memorable Characters - I still stand by this. Groose is the best character in the game. Though, I think there are a few more good NPCs than I originally saw the first time through.

Ghirahim - Listen, I know that he does more on-screen than many other villains in the past games, it's just I don't like his personality nor does he seem like that much of a menace, but rather a nuisance. He does has some absolutely ridiculous dialog with crazy theatrics I'm sure fans of him will gobble up, but it came off as cheesy to me. This is just a personal issue, but I just don't like Ghirahim. For clarification's sake, I didn't like how Ganon was shoe-horned into Twilight Princess, either, and thought that was a terrible idea. I thought Zant got ruined in the end, too, and I don't like that villain. Truth be told, the best depiction of a villain in the series so far were Ganon in The Wind Waker, and nothing has come close since.

The Presentation - I don't like the art style, simple as that. I think the animations in the game look incredibly archaic, and I think some parts of the game just look flat out ugly. I am going to stick to my guns and say I want them to try voice acting. I do not buy any arguments that VA takes away from other areas of the game during development, nor do I buy that because it has sucked in X game, it will suck in Y game. Plus, if they give the option to just have subtitles/text, what's the problem?

Lack of Geographic Diversity - I would have liked to have seen a few more areas in the game, but it wasn't the worst thing, honestly.

Kard8p3 said:
wouldn't the boss rush mode technically count as a minigame? I was told you even get an optional item from it.

Not sure.

Dascu said:
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wii/souj/world/skyloft/index.html

The official site shows a bow&arrow mini-game. Plus there's some stuff to do over at this Pumpkin Pub.

Also, finding all the Goddess Cubes is a rather big side-quest.

Yea, I totally forgot about Goddess Cubes as a side quest. Interesting about the archery one. As I said, I haven't 100% completed the game yet, so there's obviously some stuff still waiting to be found.

Kard8p3

TSA said:
Yea, I guess it is.

Yea, I totally forgot about Goddess Cubes as a side quest. Interesting about the archery one. As I said, I haven't 100% completed the game yet, so there's obviously some stuff still waiting to be found.

Have you done the flying mini-game shown off in one of the trailers where you fly through targets? I was always hoping you'd unlock harder versions of it as you progress.

Dascu said:
Well as far as I'm aware, you can't redo it to get rewards and such? It's more like a temporary, one-time diversion.

I agree with that, but does a mini-game have to be replayable over and over? I guess it's kinda borderline.

Celine

EmCeeGramr said:
yo what up

5YAwe.jpg
Had to double check.
LOL

TSA said:
impressions.
Ah yes I agree and see what you mean with most of these things that you've mentioned. I think perhaps you didn't fully elaborate on what you meant in certain areas when you wrote your initial impressions. I can't comment on Presentation or Characters yet but it's your opinion.

Now that you've spent some time with this, would you want to see another game in the same vein as SS(obviously if they improve and expand on things) like how TWW and TP followed in the same vein as OoT?

Dascu

Kard8p3 said:
Have you done the flying mini-game shown off in one of the trailers where you fly through targets? I was always hoping you'd unlock harder versions of it as you progress.
You mean the one where you skydive through circles? Or is there one on your Loftwing too?

RPGCrazied said:
Does this mean it'll be 2016 before we play the next console Zelda? We better relish all that Skyward Sword has to offer!
Hopefully the 3DS' horsepower will contribute to a more console-like Zelda on that platform.

RPGCrazied said:
Does this mean it'll be 2016 before we play the next console Zelda? We better relish all that Skyward Sword has to offer!
Well let's hope that since they got the controls and a lot of things already figured out with SS it doesn't take as much time for another Zelda. Two of the biggest reasons I recall for Zelda SS taking so long was figuring out the motion controls and the art style. Let's hope they figure things out quicker in terms of controls, art style and direction. Then again it might take them some time to get used to significantly more powerful hardware with the Wii U since most other developers(Japanese) in particular struggled a lot this gen with the 360/PS3.

Tadale

Divvy said:
I can't believe it's been five years. How ridiculous!

It definitely does not feel like it's been five years for me. Maybe I'm just getting older, but I felt like there was a bigger gap in between Wind Waker and TP.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I wish I had less work this week just so I could replay Twilight Princess. Or Wind Waker. If only I could combine those games, it'd be the best Zelda ever.

Xun

TSA said:
The Presentation - I don't like the art style, simple as that. I think the animations in the game look incredibly archaic, and I think some parts of the game just look flat out ugly. I am going to stick to my guns and say I want them to try voice acting. I do not buy any arguments that VA takes away from other areas of the game during development, nor do I buy that because it has sucked in X game, it will suck in Y game. Plus, if they give the option to just have subtitles/text, what's the problem?
In what respect? The animation seems pretty decent to me so far, granted I have yet to play the full game.

To me it sounds like you're confusing character animation with character modelling.

Ragus

Banned
Can anybody, who already has his own copy tell me whether the music CD is packed into an envelope or has its own place in DVD box?

Divvy

Ragus said:
Can anybody, who already has his own copy, tell me whether the music CD is packed into an envelope or has it's own place in DVD box?

There was a screenshot showing that it was one of those dvd cases that can fix two discs.

edit:

3mcHC.jpg

Are there a good amount of pretty water environments?

the more pretty water environments in my life, the better. it was the sole reason I liked Star Fox Adventures.

brandonh83 said:
Are there a good amount of pretty water environments?

the more pretty water environments in my life, the better. it was the sole reason I liked Star Fox Adventures.

Not that many but what is there is quite pretty :). Of course you have your typical lake/underwater exploration area/dungeon set.

Annoying Old Party Man said:
Not that many but what is there is quite pretty :). Of course you have your typical lake/underwater exploration area/dungeon set.

I didn't really like how big and round Lake Hylia was in Ocarina, but I liked all the rivers/streams in say A Link to the Past. So hopefully Skyward's water environments are a bit cooler and more varied than that. Than Ocarina I mean.

RPGCrazied

I see no mention of a
Water based dungeon
, is there no one to be found in this game? I mean hell, you can swim in this one. Though I'm not fond of those in past games, to annoying and confusing.

RPGCrazied said:
I see no mention of a
Water based dungeon
, is there no one to be found in this game? I mean hell, you can swim in this one. Though I'm not fond of those in past games, to annoying and confusing.
You must purposefully be trying to avoid as much info as possible.....

ASIS

Divvy said:
There was a screenshot showing that it was one of those dvd cases that can fix two discs.

edit:

3mcHC.jpg
This is not the same one I have, for me the music CD is separated.

Kard8p3 said:
There's one where you're on the loftwing and you're flying into targets.

Not sure yet.

Xun said:
In what respect? The animation seems pretty decent to me so far, granted I have yet to play the full game.

To me it sounds like you're confusing character animation with character modelling.

Maybe I am confusing it, so this is what I specifically mean. Look at how Nathan Drake in Uncharted or Ezio in Assassin's Creed moves. Now look back at Link's movement. To me, it's night and day. Everything in Skyward Sword looks a bit goofy, which I guess you can say is the "style" of the game and how it's looked for years now, but to me it looks odd now.

TSA said:
Maybe I am confusing it, so this is what I specifically mean. Look at how Nathan Drake in Uncharted or Ezio in Assassin's Creed moves. Now look back at Link's movement. To me, it's night and day. Everything in Skyward Sword looks a bit goofy, which I guess you can say is the "style" of the game and how it's looked for years now, but to me it looks odd now.
I know what you mean. Link looks stiff in the way he runs and jumps (as he did in Twilight Princess and Wind Waker). I noticed that in certain cutscenes, like when Zelda is captured in the sky and her and Link reach for each other, the characters look so stiff it's embarrassing. Yet, there are scenes where Ghirahim and Link interact, and it's done so well that it looks like it was a different animation team.

Jzero

Screw you guys i hate seeing people with pictures of their copies and i still have to wait 6 days :/

Caelus

KeeSomething said:
I noticed that in certain cutscenes, like when Zelda is captured in the sky and her and Link reach for each other, the characters look so stiff it's embarrassing

That's a dream in the game, that's why it has different animation.

Divvy

TSA said:

From what I've seen, the cutscenes look great animation wise. Very expressive and full of subtle stuff. The general in game animation is still pretty stiff and gamey though. It's obvious that they're either different animation teams or just not as much time was put into them.

Jomjom

Banned
I figured this would be as good a place as any to ask this: Based on the past, how limited is this CE likely to be? I don't have the cash right now to plunk down for the game, but I really want that controller and soundtrack.

Caelus

Divvy said:
The general in game animation is still pretty stiff and gamey though. It's obvious that they're either different animation teams or just not as much time was put into them.

Whatever is recycled from TP is improved greatly, but still stiff, while brand new animations look really good.

RetroMG

TSA said:
I am going to stick to my guns and say I want them to try voice acting. I do not buy any arguments that VA takes away from other areas of the game during development, nor do I buy that because it has sucked in X game, it will suck in Y game. Plus, if they give the option to just have subtitles/text, what's the problem?

I have been staunchly against VA in a Zelda game until now, but the more I see of SS and play the demo, the more I wish it had been included. I think on this game more than any other, it would have made a huge difference.

Divvy

I wouldn't mind voice acting (aside from Link, he can stay silent), solely because Nintendo is probably one of the few Japanese developers I trust to not fuck it up.

The Lamp

As I said before, hopefully voice acting never comes to Zelda. I heard Mario speak for more than 10 seconds and already wanted to shoot my brains out.

Zelda has a fantastical, distant, ancient vibe to it when the story is told without voice acting. It feels like you're peering in on a language that was too old and legendary for anyone to remember. It's part of the charm to me.

If everyone starts talking like in Metroid....no...I don't want to think about that.

Divvy

The Lamp said:
As I said before, hopefully voice acting never comes to Zelda. I heard Mario speak for more than 10 seconds and already wanted to shoot my brains out.

Zelda has a fantastical, distant, ancient vibe to it when the story is told without voice acting. It feels like you're peering in on a language that was too old and legendary for anyone to remember. It's part of the charm to me.

If everyone starts talking like in Metroid....no...I don't want to think about that.

Would be nice if you had the option of hylian or whatever your language is.

Big One

Banned
@ TSA
As someone else who has completed the game looking back on your impressions it isn't as bad as I thought it was, but I do think a lot of your complaints are very much nitpicks and you still haven't made it clear why you prefer Twilight Princess or Ocarina of Time to the game. The game has better design than either of those games it isn't even funny, plus the game is still better paced than Twilight Princess. I do agree the lack of variety is disappointing but for what's there, for being generic themes used throughout the series, it's incredibly unique in each area (except for the forest). I think the desert, including the two dungeons it has, is one of the best areas in any Zelda game in terms of level design.

Top Bottom