• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Willy105 said:
The Wii has different results on different HDTV's.

Mine looks blurry on one HDTV, you can see the scanlines on the other, and in the third one it looks better than it does on any SDTV.

You were just cursed with a bad combination.
Well, it's not that "crazy".

720p Viera Panny Plasma and 1080p LG LCD.

Guess which one looks like ass with Wii games. :p

dwu8991

Banned
Laughing Banana said:
Punkin' Chunkin'..... what the fuck is that anyway? o_O

I assume it's motion related but... man, what is that really...........?

Its an annual competition in November ....... yeah, it's a crap title.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
dwu8991 said:
How on earth does it relate to Zelda though specifically???
I know OT thread titles are meant to be fun but this really takes the piss out of a GOTY contender.
just look at the specimen who created it and you will have your answer.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
kharak said:

heman.jpg

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Huh... that's a...... multi-layered "joke".... if I ever see one.

Pretty inline with the rest of the jokes in the OP too, I guess... "She gets kidnapped because that's just what she does".... " "...he wuvs her..." "freaky shit he can do with his tongue..."

I mean, that's just.... eyebrow raising stuff.

Anyway, can't wait, can't wait, can't wait.......... I just cannot focus playing Uncharted 3 with this looming so close ;_________;

Come on, pumkin slicing in Skyward Sword is what Sign Cutting has been in most other Zelda games.

A fun light hearted subtitle goes hand in hand with the light hearted mood of the OP itself.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
fly high ~ayunite~ said:
Touch crowd eh

Well it's console Zelda... a celebratory event that we just cannot celebrate with every year... Of course the crowd is going to be tough! :)

Metroid Killer said:
Come on, pumkin slicing in Skyward Sword is what Sign Cutting has been in most other Zelda games.

A fun light hearted subtitle goes hand in hand with the light hearted mood of the OP itself.

Is it Punkin' or Pumpkin....? That's why I did a double take since if it's Pumpkin I understand but Punkin'...? Is it a slang word for Pumpkin? If so, I do not recognize it :(

Laughing Banana said:
Is it Punkin' or Pumpkin....? That's why I did a double take since if it's Pumpkin I understand but Punkin'...? Is it a slang word for Pumpkin? If so, I do not recognize it :(
Again come on(x2 :p) English is not my first language, and when I see Punkin' I immediately think of Pumkin, who wouldn't?

but yeah it's slang or whatever
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pumpkin_chunking said:
Pumpkin Chunking (also called Punkin' Chunkin',[...]

dc89

sorijealut said:
Are you saying my LED LG will look lile ass?! touch crowd.

SD content always looks worse on HD tv's and yes, I think it will look worse on a LED tv than your standard LCD.

I work in Tech Support and one of our slave TV's is a Sony LED 22", quite a good set with Wifi etc but SD content looks like ass on it.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Metroid Killer said:
Again come on(x2 :p) English is not my first language, and when I see Punkin' I immediately think of Pumkin, who wouldn't?

but yeah it's slang or whatever

When I see the word Punkin' at first I thought it's related to "Punks"... you know, punks punkin' around or something, hahaha.

Anyways, let bygone by bygone I guess. It's already here... might as well just forget about it and carry on -------->

dc89 said:
SD content always looks worse on HD tv's and yes, I think it will look worse on a LED tv than your standard LCD.

I work in Tech Support and one of our slave TV's is a Sony LED 22", quite a good set with Wifi etc but SD content looks like ass on it.
SS Special ed is almost here.
This is quite a problem.
Enter panic mode.
(but xenoblade did not look ass, let me tell ya! I just got a component cabl and hdtv for the very first time but even I can tell my LED Life is Good)

dc89

sorijealut said:
SS Special ed is almost here.
This is quite a problem.
Enter panic mode.
(but xenoblade did not look ass, let me tell ya! I just got a component cabl and hdtv for the very first time but even I can tell my LED Life is Good)

Don't panic. The current Sony TV's are poor anyway.

I'm sure it will look fantastic.

Crispy

I've been replaying WindWaker on my 32inch Sharp Aquos and it looks absolutely amazing! I was stunned, especially considering the game is from 2002.

The best way to play wii or SD games on an LCD is to turn off all the image enhancements, this also helps the responsiveness of the wii-mote.

Zelda:SS will be in my hands by friday or saturday! I'm excited!

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Red UFO said:
Which country are you in, and where did you order from?
I don't know about him, but my copy was dispatched from TheHut (UK) this morning. Bundle as well.

I'm hoping to buy this in a week along with a 27" Thunderbolt display and get Dolphin up and running. Fingers crossed it works as I couldn't be bothered getting my wii out of storage.

Red UFO

Jocchan said:
I don't know about him, but my copy was dispatched from TheHut (UK) this morning. Bundle as well.
Oh man, I ordered from Amazon (UK) and it hasn't been dispatched yet. Anybody ever used them to pre-order before? If so, what was your experience with them like?

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Red UFO said:
Oh man, I ordered from Amazon (UK) and it hasn't been dispatched yet. Anybody ever used them to pre-order before? If so, what was your experience with them like?

You'll get it on release day, almost certainly. Possibly earlier, but don't count on it.

FatCat

Excuse me in advance for the long post, here are some thoughts on what I played this weekend. I was lucky enough to buy my copy last Friday thanks to word of mouth on Gaf (yay) and have been playing this non-stop before I have to go abroad for a couple of weeks. For that reason, I have not properly completed the game and intend to when I get back (mind you, I didn't even rush the game; game time
35 hours
) Anyway, I really do believe this is one of the best Zeldas, definately in my top 3. There is something quite extraordinary about the atmosphere and the way the team weaved their magic into this game. There are no story spoilers here, I'll only say that it is very well written. Personally, I also found the ending to be very satisfying and the overall story was good. Not saying that everyone will agree! Right now I'm just taking the whole experience in.

The things that I liked:

Motion controls: they are definately the way forward for the series. Not only are they well implemented, but they also bring a bit more strategy to the combat mechanics. I have to say, I died a number of times because I went through some fights without thinking and that just caused me death. There's that sense of satisfaction that TP's waggle didn't have.

Boss battles: while normal enemies are the typical zelda trolls and weird creatures, the bosses this time round are really really good. That's also because of the motion controls which means you need to be precise and imaginative when you face one.

Graphics and sound: both are absolutely astounding. I wasn't quite sure what to think when I first booted the game, afterall, there is soooo much dithering and it is very flaky, it can get quite ugly. Once you start progressing, the areas do become more eye-pleasing. In fact, some of the later set pieces boast some spectacular partical effects and mapping. Its more a question of art and style being better than the technology, with the animation hiding the lack of high res textures and such. I honestly think this game is a big mix of WW and TP's art and design put together. Finally, the soundtrack is phenomenal, there are maybe one or two songs that are forgettable or annoying but otherwise its all awesome.

Difficulty: I haven't played a Zelda this hard since the 2D ones. It revolves around two things: combat strategy and save points. The latter means that if you die, you don't restart in the same room, but you might end up on the otherside of the overworld if you don't take time to save. Hearts disappear quickly with damage
and I dread at the idea of completing this on Hero Mode.

As for sidequests, I can't really comment as I've only done a bunch of them due to time constraints. However, the ones that I completed were really cool and well written, plus the NPCs have strong personalities. I don't remember laughing this much with some of the characters such as
Uncle Bats or the cocky little twat that wants you to deliver his letter, only to later find out that its gone elsewhere...

Level design: I've heard lots of people complain about backtracking and such, but any sort of backtracking (except for one specific moment where
you go back into a same dungeon
) was fun to do. Its more metroid-style backtracking than anything else. Some people will say the designers were lazy; I honestly think they had the courage to take some risks like
putting only three main areas
and yet in these parts there was lots of diversity in design and structure. Plus, this time round the items you acquire during the game are used to their full advantage. There's more than one level where you use practically all your items to solve puzzles and open doors.

The bad stuff....

The bloody fetchquests. Though I don't mind the "you need 10 medallions to save the princess from Ganon's castle" type of fetchquest, there are some really tedious parts of the game that bring it down. The Silent Realm, for one. I have no idea why they implemented something so annoying. In the last third of the game, there is one fetchquest you have to do underwater, UNDERWATER for heaven's sake.
I know its traditional Zelda gameplay but come on, keep that stuff on the side and not in the main quest.

I do have to complain for certain controller gestures, especially those which require you to bring down the wiimote, thus restraining your wrist. I'm saying this because I play sitting down. Example: the flying mechanics are great, but if you are trying to nose-dive, you literally have to have flexible wrists (when standing up, these gestures aren't a problem, but who plays Zelda standing up?). This also goes for bomb rolling and some of the pointer stuff.

More than one boss is reused two or even three times during the game, which is a bit lazy tbh.

The singing, OH MY GOD the characters that sing, please never put that in a game ever again.
Everytime it happened I would burst out in laughter, it is that bad.

The speed at which text is displayed is beyond slow, it is too slow. The game isn't particularly wordy, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who wanted an option to make things quicker.

Overall verdict: its nice to know that the series can still surprise me despite its familiar traits.

FatCat said:
The singing, OH MY GOD the characters that sing, please never put that in a game ever again.
Everytime it happened I would burst out in laughter, it is that bad.
From what I've seen, I want more. I love it.

K444WSR said:
Why didn't I order with the hut instead if amazon :(

I ordered it from the GameCollection.net and am thinking exactly the same thing :/ Hoping Assassins Creed Revelations will help make the wait easier.

K444WSR

I keep checking my email to see if its despatched and nothing. It's frustrating because I haven't got anything else to kill the time with and seeing all these people on here with their copies doesn't help.

Glad that the spoilers have been sensored here. They're all over the internet. Sometimes I wonder if people do spoiler "previews" to just get attention. It's supposed to be a preview of the game. A few dungeon areas, a few details about the story, some items. NAH. Too much to ask /rant

Top Bottom