• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

peakish

I must be the only guy who didn't mind it too much.

Sure it was slightly annoying but it didn't take too long, nor did it take away from the game in my eyes.

Nah, I loved the tadtones, great sequence. I think more people would have cut them some slack if it didn't follow like ten previous collect-X-of-this's.

I must be the only guy who didn't mind it too much.

Sure it was slightly annoying but it didn't take too long, nor did it take away from the game in my eyes.

No problem here either. I went through them really quick, plus it was cool exploring a previous area in a completely different way.

I beat the game yesterday and really loved it. It's my favorite Zelda now. Not many complaints from me. The text did scroll too slow. The
Imprisoned
could get annoying, the
second form
was the hardest for me. Something about those cinematics during the fight messed with my flow. I was somewhat disappointed in the final boss.
Demise looked really cool, but only had 2 forms, what? And once you figured out the pattern it was easy. Actually reminded me of a Punch-Out boss, just block and hit.

I cannot think of any moment where the motion controls worked against me. I was really happy with them, but I was also quite pleased to see most of the enemies didn't require you to attack with a certain direction. If you shield bash an attack it stuns them and you can hit them any old way. Yay for options.

I'm playing Twilight Princess for the first time now, the Wii version. The controls feel so strange to me. Most of my instincts are wrong right now. I'm getting used to it, but I definitely like Skyward Sword's opening a lot better anyway. Skyloft is far more interesing than Ordon Village. That might be an unfair comparison though.

Xun

I'm playing Twilight Princess for the first time now, the Wii version. The controls feel so strange to me. Most of my instincts are wrong right now. I'm getting used to it, but I definitely like Skyward Sword's opening a lot better anyway. Skyloft is far more interesing than Ordon Village. That might be an unfair comparison though.
That's another thing I liked which a lot of people disliked, the opening.

It made Link in Skyward Sword feel more personal, at least in my eyes.

As for Twilight Princess I'll probably replay it, but this time the GameCube version.

BurntPork

Banned
My only real issue was how hard they were to find when only a few were left, and the poison bubbles being so cheap. Almost died. :( It was fun, but annoying.

Also, I just saw someone lose to Koloktos four times. lol

Xun

I've still got to post my full impressions at a later point, but I really wish you could change your name at any time and have as many saves as you can.

It would be nice if you could customise Link a little bit as well, but of course it's not completely needed.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Just finished it at 42 hours. I'm not sure if I want to call it the best Zelda ever, but this is really up there. The end game is EASILY the best endgame of any Zelda I've played. It's so good that I am ready to forgive the game for all of its fetch quests.

The
Sky Keep
was great as a final dungeon, and I really liked how they put everything together. I thought the
variable box puzzle layout
was a very nice touch. The combat leading up to the end was very impressive (
Zelda suddenly turned into Dynasty Warriors for a bit there
), and the end sequence tied things up very nicely. The fight with
Demise
was a little short but it was incredibly satisfying, probably because the setting (I thought it looked really cool and had a great buildup), and the way the game really played into the way I was used to fighting:
- I wonder if I can outrange him? *raises sword* oh what, Skyward Strike doesn't work?
- oh shit, he can charge his sword with the lightning!
- HOLY SHIT, I CAN CHARGE MY SWORD THE SAME WAY!
- OH MY GOD LINK TAKES A BOLT OF LIGHTNING INTO HIS SWORD DURING HIS FATAL BLOW *geekgasm*

I think I can say that this game is *arguably* my favorite Zelda of the series. Yes, I still think it could have been better if they moved a few of the fetch quests and made them side quests instead of part of the main story, but even so, the game is excellent. The good parts of the game are so good that they outshine its (considerable) shortfalls and questionable design decisions.

Sagitario

Yeah, I remember when they demoed that at the E3 developer roundtable last year. First thought: "oh God what are they doing, bringing back one of the worst things from TP?" Then I saw the guardians and I was kinda "hmm, that's... potentially interesting" and when I finally did it I loved it.

For me, it was the other way around. I didn't mind the tear hunt in TP, but when I saw the guardians, I thought: "One of the worst things from Phantom Hourglass!".

I ended up liking them in SS, though.

Sagitario

Imprisoned
could get annoying, the
second form
was the hardest for me. Something about those cinematics during the fight messed with my flow.

Same here, I didn't have problems with the 1st and 3rd fights, but the 2nd one had this odd pacing and I did mess up a lot.

Velti

Neo Member
The ending was nice, but it bothered me a bit. Maybe because I'm a romantic, and I wanted to see what happened to ERRY-BODY.
REALLY, Zelda? What. Am I going to do now? DO YOU REALLY HAVE TO ASK? HOLY CRAP, WOMAN, WHY DO YOU THINK I WENT THROUGH ALL THIS CRAP? Gimme some sugar.

Rengoku

Ok, this seems like an appropriate thread to ask for advice.
I'm a complete newbie to the Zelda franchise, well, to most Nintendo franchises for that matter. (I know, its shameful, but I was a PC gamer for the longest time and only jumped into console gaming around the time the PS2 was released.)
In what order should I play the games?
Should I jump straight into the wii Zelda games (TP & SS)?
How well do the older zelda games hold up?
Are there any that I should skip?

zigg

For me, it was the other way around. I didn't mind the tear hunt in TP, but when I saw the guardians, I thought: "One of the worst things from Phantom Hourglass!".
Heh, and I was rather a fan of the Phantoms and that temple in particular... even revisiting floors, because I enjoyed finding the new ways to go through the floors with my new items.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Last boss area question...

Im at the last battles with Ghirahim and im low on life. If i try to go back up the hill Fi allows me to warp to the top, where i can then go inside and sit on the bench to refill my hearts. I want to go buy a couple potions but the save statue has no option to fly to the sky.

Am i able to go back through the time portal and then leave and then go to skyloft market, get potions, go back, warp back to the past and still be at the final battle? Im not going to bother if ill have to do that whole end sequence again where i have to fight my way all the way to the bottom....

Chuckpebble

Don't have time to look, but I'd like to offer a "HELL YES!" to whomever said the 4th dungeon boss was awesome. Rest of the game has a heck of a lot to live up to now.

Xun

Last boss area question...

Im at the last battles with Ghirahim and im low on life. If i try to go back up the hill Fi allows me to warp to the top, where i can then go inside and sit on the bench to refill my hearts. I want to go buy a couple potions but the save statue has no option to fly to the sky.

Am i able to go back through the time portal and then leave and then go to skyloft market, get potions, go back, warp back to the past and still be at the final battle? Im not going to bother if ill have to do that whole end sequence again where i have to fight my way all the way to the bottom....
You'll still be at the last battle.

Dr.Hadji

I'm a complete newbie to the Zelda franchise, well, to most Nintendo franchises for that matter. (I know, its shameful, but I was a PC gamer for the longest time and only jumped into console gaming around the time the PS2 was released.)

I'm going to guess you don't have much experience with motion controls so playing SS first off might be too much if you're not willing to focus on coming to grips with the controls. A lot of people aren't used to starting off at square one but if you ask questions, use this thread and take your time I think SS is a great starting point. Something that also helps is to take the the (over)reations to things in the game. When you get there it won't be anything close to bad.

TP is a Zelda game for people who love the nuts a bolts of Zelda. The connecting tissue isn't the strongest but the dungeons, puzzles, and combat are some of the best in the series. If you don't know how Zelda works I wouldn't make it my first Zelda.

If you have a 3DS OOT3D is too good. You think games have moved far past this dinosaur? Nope they have not. Classic design through and through.

Sagitario

Right now, I would recommend playing them like this:
Ocarina of Time 3D -> The Wind Waker -> Twilight Princess -> Skyward Sword
Wait for the Majora's Mask remake if you don't have access to the virtual console version.

peakish

You can jump straight into any Zelda game, don't bother with a timeline, the stories are only barely connected and Nintendo do what they want in every game without regard of a consistent world. I suppose that gameplay wise TP builds quite a bit on Ocarina of Time but it's fine to start with. SS should also work great. The only one I'd recommend against is Wind Waker since I think it's a bit too mediocre in dungeons and main adventure, but then again many love it for some reason :shrug

Xun

You can jump straight into any Zelda game, don't bother with a timeline, the stories are only barely connected and Nintendo do what they want in every game without regard of a consistent world. I suppose that gameplay wise TP builds quite a bit on Ocarina of Time but it's fine to start with. SS should also work great. The only one I'd recommend against is Wind Waker since I think it's a bit too mediocre in dungeons and main adventure, but then again many love it for some reason :shrug
The Wind Waker was my first Zelda game and I don't regret it at all.

Great game.

Dr.Hadji

I kind of want to make a post about how dungeon 5 is not only a fantastic new dungeon type but a fantastic piece of level design in general. It just make you feel Nintendo can make a functional play space out of any environment now.

Cheska

Ugh, how important are the side missions in this game? Finished the second dungeon, and I can't bring myself to care about anything but the main story right now.

Akuun

I think it's BS that if you complete the Boss Rush, i.e. all 9 battles, you only get rupees and not what you were attempting to get in the first place.

:(
Wait. So to get the
shield
, you only need to complete the 9 boss battles in total? You don't need to do them all in one run?

I did like 6 in a row and then stopped because it was late and I didn't feel like fighting
another form of the Imprisoned YET AGAIN

What position are you guys playing this game in? I got the second tablet just before and until now I've been playing with the remote and nunchuk predominantly resting on my thighs (like I usually do with Wii games) unless I need a specific sword strike. This was working out pretty well until I got to Ghirahim where what I was doing up until that point stopped working. I knew what to but I couldn't execute, it seems like all the sword motions need to be large exaggerated. Not so much the case with the gadgets where my sensitivity setting seems to be doing its job.

Anyway, just wondering if there is a better way to approach the sword combat.

eXistor

Wait. So to get the
shield
, you only need to complete the 9 boss battles in total? You don't need to do them all in one run?

I did like 6 in a row and then stopped because it was late and I didn't feel like fighting
another form of the Imprisoned YET AGAIN

If I remember correctly. you need to finish 8 battles in a row. The Thunder Dragon mentions what treasure you'll get, so you'll know when to stop.

On a related note. I just finsihed the game myself today. Man, what a ride it was. Not my favorite Zelda, but I'd place it just above Wind Waker, making it my 5th favorite game in the series. Easily goty 2011 for me.

All those problems people seem to have with the game I just don't see. I loved the Silent Realms, they took a few minutes to complete and if gave you a cool new perspective on the area. Same with the tadtones, seeing
Faron Woods completely submerged in water truly is a sight to behold
. Also that part only took 15 minutes to maybe half an hour. The end game was fantastic as well, I really didn't want it to end and subsequently I'm listening to the soundtrack right now to keep me in the mood a bit longer.

The world is so dense, you really shouldn't ever be bored or looking for something to do. Bug catching, flying, screwing around in Skyloft, looking for Goddess Chests, it's all gold.

If there's one thing I'd want it's one extra area for some needed variety (I'm thinking snow. Cliché, but it would really compliment the other areas.). Amazingly designed al the areas might be, but I feel like one is missing.

The dungeons are fine, especially the Ancient Cistern, but not quite the best the series has seen. This is the one area TP is the clear winner. Boss battles on the other hand are extremely memorable, my personal favorite being Tentalus. Such a striking design and epic battle might make this my favorite Zelda boss fight ever.

I wish Nintendo gave players an Advanced and Normal mode from the start, Skyward Sword does have a destinct abundance of hand-holding, meaning you'll never really scratch your head asking yourself what to do. And while I personally like the intro, I think I'd want future Zeldas' to make the player learn about the world and characters as they play, not through cutscenes.

All in all I think it's a fantastic entry to my all-time favorite series and I hope Nintendo wil keep on making these for years to come. I need me my Zelda fix.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Ok, so the Gossip Stone showed me the hint on how to get the rattle for Bertie's baby by
jumping onto the bird's nest in Skyloft. I use the claw shots to get to the floating island with the waterfall, but no matter how many times I try, I can't land on the nest!
What am I doing wrong?

Ok, so the Gossip Stone showed me the hint on how to get the rattle for Bertie's baby by
jumping onto the bird's nest in Skyloft. I use the claw shots to get to the floating island with the waterfall, but no matter how many times I try, I can't land on the nest!
What am I doing wrong?

Point down with the Wii moment, don't worry about going too fast.

Akuun

If I remember correctly. you need to finish 8 battles in a row. The Thunder Dragon mentions what treasure you'll get, so you'll know when to stop.
Damn. I really don't want to fight
The Imprisoned possibly another 3 times (I have very bad luck). Let's hope that jump-on-the-head method is easy to pull off.
I didn't even think to do it that way until I read this thread.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
The Imprisoned possibly another 3 times (I have very bad luck). Let's hope that jump-on-the-head method is easy to pull off.

Worked fine for me, never even though of doing it any other way until I read this thread.

zigg

I just tried it for the first time ever myself last night. The worst part is when a cutscene kicks in when you're still in the air.

Just try to land on a flat surface and you should do fine.

radcliff

I mentioned this in the spoilers thread but it may be more fitting here; when you beat the game you can hold "A" and move the Wiimote while the credits are rolling to play the harp along with the music.

mattoz85

I just tried it for the first time ever myself last night. The worst part is when a cutscene kicks in when you're still in the air.

Just try to land on a flat surface and you should do fine.

Yes, the goddamn cutscenes! That made the second fight SO frustrating for me. That's how I beat him the first time, so that's how I tried it the second time. But I kept getting cockblocked by cutscenes, so I ended up doing it the other way. Then
with the third fight, he kept throwing me off his head, so I had to do the fucking toes again. Hated it so much.

Akuun

I failed the
third Imprisoned fight
the first run because I
didn't talk to Groose, and tried to bomb the rubble blocking him from the giant bomb flower. When that didn't work, I finally talked to Groose, and THEN I missed the shot, so Link slid past his head. The bastard made it to the temple while I was running back to Groose.

On my second try I missed with Link again, but was able to run back and get it the second try. It was so close I was expecting the "IT'S ALL OVER" cutscene to start rolling any second, though.

BurntPork

Banned

FYI,
that method won't work in the third fight unless you stun him with the Groosenator and you're very quick.
Otherwise, it's the better method.

Davey Cakes

Finally finished this game today. Got every heart piece and completed all the side quests. That's basically 100% to me, since I'm not counting Hero Mode.

The final boss was not difficult. My brother got really annoyed with it, and warned me, but I had no trouble. I feel a bit dirty though; my secret was to use a Guardian Potion+ and also carry the Potion Medal with me. Shhhhh!

It took 60 hours overall. I really played in a way that allowed me to enjoy every little detail. I know that's a long time, but I still think that the people beating it in 25-30 hours are missing out. But hey, if you don't like the side stuff, you don't like it. Period.

I was very satisfied by the experience. I don't feel a need to give the game a number rating or rank it amongst the rest of the series. Skyward Sword was a very well-built game with some divisive elements to it. There were also some annoyances, like Fi's over-explanations and handholding, and mandatory dialog boxes for for items. But otherwise the game's content really clicked with me (even the fetch quest-y stuff, which ranged from "tolerable" to "fun.") I also enjoyed the motion controls and welcome future games in the series that use them, even though in SS there were a couple of instances of unreliability. The economy also shat on anything that came before hand, with better uses for rupees and a respectable-but-improvable upgrade system. At the end of the game though, I still had way more rupees than necessary; there's only so much you can buy and upgrade.

The best area in the game was the Lanayru region, no question. The best gameplay elements and dungeons came out of it. Timeshift stones were a great mechanic, and I liked how the stamina gauge was incorporated into sand traversal. Also, the Sand Sea was awesome with its mini-dungeons, and the Sandship was a fun dungeon which reminded me a lot of Twilight Princess's fifth dungeon in its execution. I wish more of the main dungeons were like this, but unfortunately most of them did end up as being pretty standard Zelda fare in terms of their incorporation into the environment.

I will say that The Sky was a decent hub-like area, sort of like Wind Waker's Sea (but probably not as good, even though it was quicker to travel across). However, the land regions proved that Twilight Princess's (and OOT's) approach to land areas is obsolete; denser areas with dungeon-like elements are possible in a 3D Zelda game, and are superior to "open fields for the sake of having open fields." I almost feel like the next Zelda game should be devoid of anything like The Sky; Nintendo should just strive to create a world that's basically all like a bunch of connected Skyward Sword-esque regions. That would bring us closer to "A Link to the Past in 3D" than ever.

spekkeh

Banned
A couple of pages ago we were discussing why some people found the game to be heavily padded while others didn't. I'm just entering the volcano for the final
flame
and I think I honed it down for me at least. For the last, what, 15-20 hours? There has been no story to speak of. It's basically 'okay before you can go on you need to collect these'. Okay now collect these. Great. Now collect these. All the while you're collecting these, but after collecting sixhundred you'll find out they're useless. The goals you set out to achieve for me are not intrinsically motivating; from the perspective of the game world logic there's no reason to do these actions other than that it's basically the way it is, and you are told to do so. Now playing the game itself is quite fun, it has some nicely inventive stuff, but it's nowhere near as tight as for instance Mario Galaxy, and because you don't experience an overarching drive (yeah something something to do with Zelda whom you haven't seen or heard from in 15 hours) to continue, every little annoyance grates extra hard.

SpokkX

Completed @ 36 hours with 70% sidequest, after skyrim they were frankly not fun

loved the gameplay and especially the difficulty, way harder than the piss easy ww and tp. About the same as ocarina which seems about right IMO. Great controls, items, puzzles, level design.

BUT

- I hate the lack of monster types. Same ones are reused all the time up to the end. Where are the wizard and knight enemies for example?

- the damn dialogue boxes that interrupt all the time kind of hinders my enjoyment of the game. Also the story cutscenes are way to long and slow. I really do not want story in the foreground in Zelda. Ocarina was perfect in this regard, just barly there. This game pauses all the time with unintersting and slow cutscenes.

Gameplay wise up there with o ocarina but these interruptions almost ruin the game. I want to play, not watch :(

Nintendo, Please make the next Zelda without dialogue like Zelda 1. Just give me a antagonist and put me in a puzzle filled world with dungeons etc.

maharg

idspispopd
It took 60 hours overall. I really played in a way that allowed me to enjoy every little detail. I know that's a long time, but I still think that the people beating it in 25-30 hours are missing out. But hey, if you don't like the side stuff, you don't like it. Period.

I don't think that's long at all. There are very few people who are actually claiming to finish it in the sub-30h range, and most of them seem more interested in cock-waving about it than anything else.

spekkeh

Banned
Hmm I would say cutscenes need some sort of cinematic direction, this is just an npc giving an instruction, really no different from a text prompt. But fair enough, it does take away user control.

SpokkX

Yeah call it cutscenes or just masses of slow text popping up. Even in shops or when talking to people it is just so damn SLOW. And people talk a LOT here compared to ocarina. I really do think it somewhat ruins the game, it would be o much better without them. Really who cares what the kiwi says? Or that f**ker that pops up from the ground just to interrupt me in the volcano areas. Not to speak of the bug(?) that pops up the descriptions of bugs and treasures after every reload of save.

Really takes you out of the experience. Fii is the worst sidekick ever :(

Amory

I'm really struggling to finish this game...got heaps of other stuff I'm itching to play but I know if I move on I'll probably never come back, and that seems a shame

I'm at the
sandship, trying to fight the pirate captain, and he's kicking my ass. plus I'm basically going at him with half health, since that's what they start you off with after a death. and dying doesn't restore your shield health to where it was before your last fight, so that broke too. and now I've got to go all the way back to skyloft to fix it.

i'm at least grateful fi hasn't told me she calculates an 85% probability that i have to defeat this miniboss to continue forward

And there's probably hours and hours more to go...

This is the only console Zelda I've actually beaten (in something like 52 hours). I played the NES Zelda's when I was a kid and barely remember them. I got pretty far in LTTP, OOT, MM, and TWW, and I'm just now playing Twilight Princess. I have beaten Link's Awakening and The Minish Cap. I'm playing Phantom Hourglass now and I haven't played the other handheld games.

I just really loved playing Skyward Sword. Exploring the world was fun and the difficulty level was just right for me. I really think the motion controls and the design of the world had a lot to do with keeping me going. Because the overworld (and I mean the ground areas) was dense and so well designed I never got lost or confused. The controls kept me more active than usual on stretches where I could mindlessly travel. It was a good combo.

I liked the sidequests the most in this game since Majora's Mask (although not more). The characters were funny and following the plot usually kept me close to where sidequests were. It also didn't hurt that flying had very active mechanics. You had to focus to keep your Loftwing flying. And Skyloft was a really strong Hub town, just fun to explore. And I love the artstyle, very pleasing to my eyes even on my plasma.

A lot of the little touches in the game went a long way too. The stamina idea was great. Being able to leap when climbing was such a welcome addition (TP is so so slow with this). Upgrading my items was fun, if not as necessary as it could've been. The weapon swap mechanic was perfect.

I really loved the Lanayru area. It felt really inventive with the whole timeshift stones. So cool to see desert turn to water right before your eyes. But the other areas were cool too. I loved how you would go back and new paths would open. It made so much sense to return to these places over and over again. It was even better when something changed about a familiar place and you had to look at it in a different way.

I was really hyped for the game and I'm shocked how much it met my expectations. I feared I would lose interest at some point and just stop playing like I do with so many Zeldas (I fully intend to beat all of them someday, the wait for the next Zelda will be too long).

Top Bottom