• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

peakish

More complaints: It's not as bad as the goat herding shit in TP, but Nintendo needs to learn how to pace intros to their Zeldas. Spirit Tracks did it correctly, just get on that train, meet with Zelda and then off to the main game in twenty minutes instead of sixty. Find better ways to introduce the supporting cast instead of cramming it all into the surroundings of an uninteresting, shit flying contest. Even my sister complained about this being too long, with too much dialogue and without being fun. She never complains!

On the note of that contest, the Loftwings seem criminally underused in the game. They're introduced as life partners of all residents and Link even has a super duper special connection to his (Red!) one - then they're only used as transport in the game. I'm all for some elements of games being thrown in even if they don't fit entirely (for instance I'd have preferred if the harp was in the game just as a bonus instead of having to play an actual part in the adventure), but in some ways SS definitely feels too much like patchwork of different games.

Xun

∀ Narayan;34007035 said:
Been playing on and off. The last couple of days have been pretty consistent. I finally got
the Master Sword
. I suspect I'm pretty close to the end.

So far, in my opinion, this is definitely the best Zelda since Majora's Mask. I'm a little disappointed with the NPCs and side-quests, however. They're just so bland, but this has been a problem for every Zelda released after MM. Very little is offered as far as exploration is concerned.

I have about 50 hours clocked in. I'm pretty surprised at this game's length. The main game is very meaty as far as gameplay is concerned. It's nice!
I think they could've taken them further, but on the whole I like them a lot.

Also Link in this certainly feels more relatable compared to how he was in previous games, and I'm not sure what it is.

It's a near perfect game, and the bits people are complaining about such as the
Silent Realm and Tadtones
really didn't bother me.

daffy

Banned
I love this shit. I don't feel like spoilering but that fight on and around the you know what after you take the soup was just perfect. Ghirahim is so challenging with the motion plus, i always lose like half my hearts when we duel! Gosh, this is just a really good game. I got it for the holidays and couldn't wait to fly back and play.

Also, item check girl for life. She's like hello darling everytime i come but i am like shut up baby i know it.

daffy

Banned
Oh but I have to say Fi really sucks! Popping up constant with non statements! I'll hit the hint button ( don't even know why I keep doing it ) and this chick pops up to tell me about the bugs I can find. She told me how to find the bug net when I was like 25 hours in. SMH. She really tickles my fancy with the 90% chance stuff even though we both know exactly what's about to happen already. Its like, just stop it Fi! Her dancing around on the walls is dumb but maybe the interpretive dance angle I can see. Or I'll be playing the harp (which is pretty hard to do by the way! ) and she's warbling like a chocobo the entire time. She's like the only negative thing I can really think of right away. Were they going for the Navi thing? Because they really missed the mark if so. :|

spekkeh

Banned
I think, if the concepts were actually flawed, the only reaction you'd see would be boredom. But actual venomous hatred warring with real enjoyment, probably means some design ideas actually have meat to them.

In the case of SS, I liked the DS games, I liked the general idea of the guardians, so I liked the silent realm. Because I really liked it, I didn't mind it showing up multiple times. For me, that's getting a lot out of a good idea. I can understand how somehow who wants Zelda to be a completely different thing would hate having to play those sections and consider it a flaw.

But, at this point, it seems like EVERY Zelda game has become this divisive because a lot of fans have the image of one, true, perfect Zelda formula in their heads.
I can't speak for the other Zelda 'detractors' obviously, but I don't really have an image of a one true, perfect Zelda formula in my head. If anything I get bored because it *is* close to the one true Zelda formula, and therefore something I've already done before. That's why I consider things padding: they don't do anything new. Not simply within this Zelda game, but from the collective memory of all previous Zelda games together. To me the reason why some love it and some don't is simply that some people like me get bored more easily and others don't mind repetition.

(I'm now at the last flame and have to admit the game does get a lot better/fresher later on in the game, but I feel that for future Zelda's their going to have to focus more heavily on the narrative, as that's the only thing for me that can be fresh every time I play a new Zelda game).

Thrakier

Just played some Wii Sports Resort stick fighting and I do think that it's more fun than the zelda sword fighting. It feels more "free" and the response is also better as well. Obviously it's 60 vs 30FPS, so that should be clear from the get go.

maharg

idspispopd
You know, is it possible that people who didn't like the game just... didn't like the game? Maybe even for the exact reasons they said? Novel thought, I know, but perhaps it's something to consider.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Much to my horror i was
hit with that last Silent Realm trial in Skyloft after thinking i was all done with those.
Thank goodness this one wasn't nearly as frustrating as some of the other ones.

I just entered that (what im assuming) is the last dungeon that was hidden in Skyloft to get the 3 triforce pieces.

My playtime at this point is a hair over 40hrs. Great stuff. The backtracking really doesnt bother me since youre doing different stuff everytime. At this point id say my negatives are:

1) Too many Silent Realms
2) 3 battles with the Imprisoned (annoying every single time)

mattoz85

She really tickles my fancy with the 90% chance stuff even though we both know exactly what's about to happen already. Its like, just stop it Fi!

My favorite was when you have to bring the Kikwi to the professor at the Knight Academy and she says, "Master, I can only determine with 40% accuracy that this person is a plant." Made me laugh. It's such a weird thing to say, but it was so... perfect.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
I don't think I have an image of a one true Zelda. SS is simply an excellent game that is weighed down by many unnecessarily tedious sections.

I finished the
tadpole hunt
thing yesterday. Was glad to see that the
Thunder Dragon
section was much, much better, though I am a little miffed to see that he
included all incarnations of The Imprisoned in his boss rush list. I already fought that thing three times! Not a fan of fighting it another three times.
Is it worth getting
that shield he's talking about
from him? I have the fully upgraded Goddess Shield and I rarely need to block things in succession anyway.

Quick tech question: Does anyone else notice the nunchuk getting less responsive? Responses to shield bashing has been perfect for most of the game, but yesterday I stood there and lost like 5 hearts to one of those rock spitting things becaues the shield bash wouldn't come out. Is this a Wiimote battery issue, or is my nunchuk starting to go?

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Quick tech question: Does anyone else notice the nunchuk getting less responsive? Responses to shield bashing has been perfect for most of the game, but yesterday I stood there and lost like 5 hearts to one of those rock spitting things becaues the shield bash wouldn't come out. Is this a Wiimote battery issue, or is my nunchuk starting to go?

My Nunchuk has been fine the whole time. On a somewhat related note, i havent used my shield at all the whole game. Ive found it much easier in battle to just dodge the attack as opposed to trying to block it. The fact that shields degrade too was just another reason for me not to bother using it if i didnt need to.

My Nunchuk has been fine the whole time. On a somewhat related note, i havent used my shield at all the whole game. Ive found it much easier in battle to just dodge the attack as opposed to trying to block it. The fact that shields degrade too was just another reason for me not to bother using it if i didnt need to.

The shield doesn't degrade if you parry/shield bash though, and it creates such a good opening when you pull it off too.

I can't wait to jump back into SS. I wanted to finish all the sidequests, but as foolish as I am, I converted my save into a hard mode one. So I guess I'm going for it in hard mode, lol

StevieP

Banned
You know, is it possible that people who didn't like the game just... didn't like the game? Maybe even for the exact reasons they said? Novel thought, I know, but perhaps it's something to consider.

A lot of people have valid complaints. Fi, as an example, is one of them. There should've been an option like there was with the HUD to tone it down.

There are others that have grievances with motion controls and have got their opportunity to open up the trollgates, however, as well. Granted it's all opinion, but much as with every message board thread there are folks in it just to stir things up.

Red UFO

Playing this in Hero Mode, cried like a little lady at
Zelda sealing herself away. The animation when Link stumbles up the stairs to her is just so human.

Xun

Just completed it and what a superb game it is.

I'll give my thoughts at a later point.

Also the last boss was tough as hell.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Playing this in Hero Mode, cried like a little lady at
Zelda sealing herself away. The animation when Link stumbles up the stairs to her is just so human.
So did I. That part had me reaching for the tissues.

I think what I love the most about the game are the character animations and the facial expressions. They communicate intent and emotions so well without the need for voicework.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Also the last boss was tough as hell.

Oh dear. I am rubbish at tough bosses.

Just finished the Sky Keep after 93 hours, and I'm wondering how long I can defer the inevitable battle by cleaning up loose ends and generally pottering around ... that's partly why I end up spending an extraordinarily long time on games.

Xun

Oh dear. I am rubbish at tough bosses.

Just finished the Sky Keep after 93 hours, and I'm wondering how long I can defer the inevitable battle by cleaning up loose ends and generally pottering around ... that's partly why I end up spending an extraordinarily long time on games.
I think I may have gone about it wrong, but he's a tough guy to beat. I died a few times sadly, which doesn't often happen to me in games.

I managed to beat him in the end with only 1 heart remaining.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i'm only through the second dungeon, forging ahead into the third region, and i have to say i love the new structure of the game. i only realized as i was playing around with the
time crystal mechanic
that i had forgotten i wasn't in a "dungeon" at the moment, and that i was just discovering a new place with a new aesthetic and way of thinking. the little dudes who inhabit this area's design is so memorable, whimsical, wonderful. i love that the style of the game can facilitate that.

the second boss--the way it incorporated old mechanics made new, the really atypical setting--impressed me and had me cackling at what a cool scenario it was.

Does the
whip
make anyone want a new 3-D Castlevania? It won't be Metroidvania style though, it'll be Zeldavania

i have wanted a castlevania/zelda hybrid forever. noting that konami was practically incapable of making a decent castlevania for handhelds and therefore chose to make castlevania like metroid, i hypothesized (rightly i think) that the best avenue for 3d castlevania is to ape another nintendo franchise. instead, they aped god of war, which depresses me greatly. i'd much rather have gothic zelda than gothic of war.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Does the
whip
make anyone want a new 3-D Castlevania? It won't be Metroidvania style though, it'll be Zeldavania
This would be marvellous. The thought hadn't crossed my mind until you mentioned it. The whip and adventure-style gameplay could be implemented so well in 3D if Konami weren't incompetent.

zigg

I think I may have gone about it wrong, but he's a tough guy to beat. I died a few times sadly, which doesn't often happen to me in games.

I managed to beat him in the end with only 1 heart remaining.
It took me a couple potions but I think that was mainly because he destroyed my Goddess Shield early on and I had nothing else with me. Will have to go back at it sometime with the other shield...

Xun

Speaking of Fi I wonder if she's essentially a different character in Japan?

Perhaps translation messed with her character too much... or maybe (and probably) not.

It took me a couple potions but I think that was mainly because he destroyed my Goddess Shield early on and I had nothing else with me. Will have to go back at it sometime with the other shield...
I stupidly went about it the first few times, and even when I got it down I had trouble with the
lightning segment of the battle.

Mistle

Speaking of Fi I wonder if she's essentially a different character in Japan?

Perhaps translation messed with her character too much... or maybe (and probably) not.
I've thought this too. Though I know hardly anything of Japanese so it's purely just speculation. I think it's less likely that the translation was bad, and more likely that the whole "robot personality" thing just works better in Japanese culture.

The only reason I think this though is because the Japanese developers really seem to love Fi's "sense of humor", haha. Which she does show, but maybe in like 3 lines throughout the whole game.

Xun

I've thought this too. Though I know hardly anything of Japanese so it's purely just speculation. I think it's less likely that the translation was bad, and more likely that the whole "robot personality" thing just works better in Japanese culture.

The only reason I think this though is because the Japanese developers really seem to love Fi's "sense of humor", haha. Which she does show, but maybe in like 3 lines throughout the whole game.
True.

If that's the case it's a shame she wasn't re-written for western audiences.

Close to the end now, just beat
Bokoblin Base for the first part of the Song of the Hero. Stealth portions are always fun for me
. I really liked it.

There really isn't much for me to criticize with the game. The
second imprisoned battle was frustrating because I was trying to land on it's head but the way it's timed it was hard to avoid that cut-scene of it grabbing on to the edge. It took more 4 tries to beat it. I'm not sure if I just stunk or if Nintendo messed up. But did I really need a cinematic every time it grabbed the ledge? I hope the third encounter is better

Funny enough I noticed I had more trouble landing jumps using the analog stick (a common problem for me with the 3D Zeldas) than with any of the motion controls. I really love the motion controls. They make flying really fun. Which is good because, like most 3D Zelda overworlds, the traveling is fairly mindless. The controlling of the loftwing makes it more engaging. I do wish there was more to do with the Loftwing though, using it for
just one boss battle, which was my favorite, so far
wasn't enough.

Oh and I like Fi, can't really explain why.

Xun

There really isn't much for me to criticize with the game. The
second imprisoned battle was frustrating because I was trying to land on it's head but the way it's timed it was hard to avoid that cut-scene of it grabbing on to the edge. It took more 4 tries to beat it. I'm not sure if I just stunk or if Nintendo messed up. But did I really need a cinematic every time it grabbed the ledge? I hope the third encounter is better
I never knew until after I fought him the first time that people actually tried to land on the Imprisoned.

I think this is why people are having problems with it, because for me I didn't find any of the encounters that bad.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
So did I. That part had me reaching for the tissues.

I think what I love the most about the game are the character animations and the facial expressions. They communicate intent and emotions so well without the need for voicework.
Yeah, I think they really did a great job with the facial animations.

The expressions on Link and Zelda when they interact makes their relationship feel so much deeper than their relatively bland dialog. Link's face when
seeing Zelda sealed away
is probably the most touching part of the game for me so far.

I also like Link's expression when he steels himself before stepping into a dungeon.

Mistle said:

Maybe they were going for the whole "subtle personality hidden within a robot" angle? Except that in the localization, "subtle personality" became "basically no personality." She does have a handful of charming lines (such as her
chastising Link for not wanting to call Scrapper for something
, but for the most part she just sounds like a bunch of automated computer system messages.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Oh and I like Fi, can't really explain why.

I kind of like Fi too.

Navi was like an annoying kid sister, Tatl the same only a bit older, Midna was the sexy-but-irritating girl next door, but Fi is the older sister who's a physicist and works at CERN and takes the piss all the time. All this 90%, 80%, 40% stuff is strictly tongue in cheek as she's trying very hard not to actually tell you what to do. And hell, can she dance, and those legs.

She only gives you dowsing because she's damn sure you'll never find all this stuff on your own. Just as well she doesn't have proper eyes, as they would be full of (loving) disdain for the kid who hasn't even graduated (k)night school.

She's kind of grown on me.

aparisi2274

Hi All....

I'm at about 30hrs now, game just keeps getting better. Was curious from the people who have beaten the game, how I stack up for where I am about to go (I'll spoiler tag just to be safe)

Heading to Eldin Volcano for last Flame

Here are my current stats:

15 Hearts
Goddess Shield
3 potion bottles
And all "Gifts" and add-ons you get up to this point

So, how do I stack up? Am I good to go for this next section? Or should I do some side quests, and get some upgrades to other items, such as
the wallet, or my bomb bag, or net, or beetle

Thanks

Red UFO

Hi All....

I'm at about 30hrs now, game just keeps getting better. Was curious from the people who have beaten the game, how I stack up for where I am about to go (I'll spoiler tag just to be safe)

Heading to Eldin Volcano for last Flame

Here are my current stats:

15 Hearts
Goddess Shield
3 potion bottles
And all "Gifts" and add-ons you get up to this point

So, how do I stack up? Am I good to go for this next section? Or should I do some side quests, and get some upgrades to other items, such as
the wallet, or my bomb bag, or net, or beetle

Thanks
You're in a better position than I was, a lot better. In fact I'd say you're doing better than most people.

I think it's BS that if you complete the Boss Rush, i.e. all 9 battles, you only get rupees and not what you were attempting to get in the first place.

:(

Salmonax

Is there an easy way to determine where your final heart pieces are? I have three left, and I really don't feel like scouring the land or using a guide.

Sagitario

Is there an easy way to determine where your final heart pieces are? I have three left, and I really don't feel like scouring the land or using a guide.

Not really.
- Goddess cubes (this is easy to figure out, but can be tedious if you don't like dowsing)
- Bosses (easy)
- NPC and sidequests (there aren't that many, so, relatively easy)
- Boss rush mode

I think it's BS that if you complete the Boss Rush, i.e. all 9 battles, you only get rupees and not what you were attempting to get in the first place.

:(

I agree that it's silly, but it isn't like the game doesn't warn you about it.

Velti

Neo Member
I typically don't spend much time at all in a Silent Realm, I don't know what you guys are complaining about. 90 sec protection + beacon fruit + parkour = I'M THE FRACKING GINGERBREAD MAN. I think I messed up once in the first trial, then again in the second. After that I got lucky. >:3

Count me in as a fan of them. Those guardians are totally scary!

I just completed the final trial and got the
red stone for the bird, granted me entrance to the Triforce place
, and thus far I'm a little disappointed in the difficulty level. Or maybe not that so much as the game wanting to tell me how to do everything. I remember there being one puzzle in this dungeon where a little sign told me exactly what to do. I was like... Thanks. I guess. Jerk.

And I'm sure everyone's already complained about Fi. I'll leave this here for those who haven't seen it.

zigg

I typically don't spend much time at all in a Silent Realm, I don't know what you guys are complaining about. 90 sec protection + beacon fruit + parkour = I'M THE FRACKING GINGERBREAD MAN. I think I messed up once in the first trial, then again in the second. After that I got lucky. >:3

Count me in as a fan of them. Those guardians are totally scary!
Yeah, I remember when they demoed that at the E3 developer roundtable last year. First thought: "oh God what are they doing, bringing back one of the worst things from TP?" Then I saw the guardians and I was kinda "hmm, that's... potentially interesting" and when I finally did it I loved it.

The one thing I hate is the guardian animation when they wake up. Surely that could have happened just once in the game and not freeze the action when it happens thereafter?

Chris R

Am I missing something when it comes to how the bug catching net controls? Seems like it controls NOTHING like the sword, leading me to look like an idiot running around trying to catch a freaking bug.

Mistle

Am I missing something when it comes to how the bug catching net controls? Seems like it controls NOTHING like the sword, leading me to look like an idiot running around trying to catch a freaking bug.
I actually like it. The game doesn't swing for you- for the net, you really are controlling Link completely. You have to do full swings.

Walk up very slowly towards them, then swing horizontally.

Chris R

I actually like it. The game doesn't swing for you- for the net, you really are controlling Link completely. You have to do full swings.

Walk up very slowly towards them, then swing horizontally.

I've been doing that and having no success with it. But then again maybe this whole motion plus thing isn't for me seeing as the first "boss" took me nearly ten mins to beat and I almost died to the first Lizalfos I've fought in the fire temple due to a lot of my blows bouncing off his shield (even after I swing the "correct directions" :| )

BurntPork

Banned
Fuck Silent Realms. Having the scariest fucking music ever when you mess up doesn't help.

The music was fucking awesome. I remember only having one tear left in the second trial , but I went into derp mode and thought I was trapped somewhere. Then I started panicking And was running away from guardians for like three minutes until I facepalmed and found my way to the final tear. It was really exciting.

Now,
those fucking tadtones
can go to hell.

I've been doing that and having no success with it. But then again maybe this whole motion plus thing isn't for me seeing as the first "boss" took me nearly ten mins to beat and I almost died to the first Lizalfos I've fought in the fire temple due to a lot of my blows bouncing off his shield (even after I swing the "correct directions" :| )

Your sword was in the wrong position when you started to swing.

The Lamp

I have a question about granny (regarding the ending)

why the hell did she just dissolve? Is that just her way of dying or whatever? Which still wouldn't make sense that she just dies upon seeing Zelda lol

I loved the ending. Probably trounces or at least meets Wind Waker for me, which up until now was the best Zelda ending ever to me.

I can ignore the few times in the game where the backtracking was not fun and the fetch-questing was undesirable (I heard bullshit like how the
tadtones
were going to be longer/more frustrating/harder than the triforce fetch quest in Wind Waker, which is just bullshit because it took me like 10 minutes to collect all of them. Yes, it was stupid, but not as long-winded or complicated as reuniting the triforce in Wind Waker.).

I also have to say that Silent Realms are leagues better than tear collecting in TP. In fact, it's not bad at all. It's fast-paced, completely different focus of action and gameplay, and builds tension. I think it's fun.

The last dungeon was also quite wonderful in execution.

I like all the Zeldas for different reasons and they all have different strengths. I think this one had the best story (next to Wind Waker and TP), combat and puzzle design thus-far.

I also pretty much forgive Fi's shallow character and mind-numbing data sputtering because surprisingly she shows some character development
particularly towards the end

She didn't really hold my hand either, she just said repetitive things as was her algorithmic nature :p

Her theme is beastly

Top Bottom