• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

I'm really struggling to finish this game...got heaps of other stuff I'm itching to play but I know if I move on I'll probably never come back, and that seems a shame

I'm at the
sandship, trying to fight the pirate captain, and he's kicking my ass. plus I'm basically going at him with half health, since that's what they start you off with after a death. and dying doesn't restore your shield health to where it was before your last fight, so that broke too. and now I've got to go all the way back to skyloft to fix it.

i'm at least grateful fi hasn't told me she calculates an 85% probability that i have to defeat this miniboss to continue forward

And there's probably hours and hours more to go...

Do you not know how to shield bash? I had one shield break on me because I didn't understand shield bashing. Anyway the boss after that is great.

Amory

Just beat him!

Amory Blaine said:
i'm at least grateful fi hasn't told me she calculates an 85% probability that i have to defeat this miniboss to continue forward

aand she totally said this right after I knocked his ass off the plank

Dr.Hadji

A couple of pages ago we were discussing why some people found the game to be heavily padded while others didn't. I'm just entering the volcano for the final
flame
and I think I honed it down for me at least. For the last, what, 15-20 hours? There has been no story to speak of. It's basically 'okay before you can go on you need to collect these'. Okay now collect these. Great. Now collect these. All the while you're collecting these, but after collecting sixhundred you'll find out they're useless. The goals you set out to achieve for me are not intrinsically motivating; from the perspective of the game world logic there's no reason to do these actions other than that it's basically the way it is, and you are told to do so. Now playing the game itself is quite fun, it has some nicely inventive stuff, but it's nowhere near as tight as for instance Mario Galaxy, and because you don't experience an overarching drive (yeah something something to do with Zelda whom you haven't seen or heard from in 15 hours) to continue, every little annoyance grates extra hard.

Thats crazy. Really, before this game came out I would have never thought set up would be so important to so many people. People rave about a collection of same-y RPG battles just because its set in front of a beautiful backdrop. People don't have problems replaying a level over and over because a death if you create a culture and mindset of elitism. Before this I just couldn't believe the packaging would be so off putting ask to make people sour on some enjoyable actions.

Can't agree on that at all. Where Galaxy exceeds in the brevity of a concept SS exceeds in the breath of one.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
...Even after all this time, even after so much time has passed.....

I still can't help but to shake my head in shame when seeing the subtitle for this thread. So goddamn lame :\

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
It took 60 hours overall. I really played in a way that allowed me to enjoy every little detail. I know that's a long time, but I still think that the people beating it in 25-30 hours are missing out. But hey, if you don't like the side stuff, you don't like it. Period.

Pah! Amateur!

I'm at 100 hours and just about to polish off
Demise
. Well, when I say 'just about to' what I mean is I'll do that just as soon as I have polished off all those other little bits and pieces that I haven't done yet - many of which seem to have something to do with pumpkins.

And y'know after all that I'm still not happy that I understand how to navigate Faron Woods without looking at a map (just fine with the other two) - so I may have to go back and play there for a while.

Procrastinate? Me? Never!

Thing is, like with every Zelda, I don't want it to end until I'm ready for it to end - and that's not yet.

SpokkX

Pah! Amateur!

I'm at 100 hours and just about to polish off
Demise
. Well, when I say 'just about to' what I mean is I'll do that just as soon as I have polished off all those other little bits and pieces that I haven't done yet - many of which seem to have something to do with pumpkins.

And y'know after all that I'm still not happy that I understand how to navigate Faron Woods without looking at a map (just fine with the other two) - so I may have to go back and play there for a while.

Procrastinate? Me? Never!

Thing is, like with every Zelda, I don't want it to end until I'm ready for it to end - and that's not yet.

how DO you play this game for 100 hours? I finished in 36 with about 70% sidequests and all but 4 hearts i think. What else is there to do? collect more of the same bugs and treasures?

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
how DO you play this game for 100 hours? I finished in 36 with about 70% sidequests and all but 4 hearts i think. What else is there to do? collect more of the same bugs and treasures?

Two things I suppose.

First is I'm never satisfied (in a game that I'm enjoying) with getting only 70% of something or all but 4 of something else. I reckon that if someone's gone to the trouble of putting something in a game then what I want to do is get it out again.

Second thing, and I'm kind of slightly ashamed to admit it in such august company, is that I am really rubbish at videogames. I've played with and alongside a bunch of people way more skilled than I am and I'm perpetually astonished at how much they notice, how quickly they pick up techniques for beating bosses/navigating/basic combat and so on.

On the other hand, I reckon I get a load more fun out of the game by being bad at it than do some people who are good at it. My other game is golf - I rest my case!

Which is why whenever I see an estimated time for completing a game I mentally times it by two or three for my game time.

Sure. I'd probably go a lot faster if I went gung-ho for the endgame, but that isn't - for me - what games are about. Take an example, it took me about 36 hours to read War and Peace, but if it had been a videogame instead of a book I'd have spent a whole load of time going back and wandering around the battlefield of Borodino just out of interest and sod the plot.

That make any sense?

Red UFO

I finished it twice, once in Hero Mode, and I got everything in Hero Mode too, in 50 hours. I have no idea how you guys take so long. Guess I must just be a pro zelda playa.

Two things I suppose.

First is I'm never satisfied (in a game that I'm enjoying) with getting only 70% of something or all but 4 of something else. I reckon that if someone's gone to the trouble of putting something in a game then what I want to do is get it out again.

Second thing, and I'm kind of slightly ashamed to admit it in such august company, is that I am really rubbish at videogames. I've played with and alongside a bunch of people way more skilled than I am and I'm perpetually astonished at how much they notice, how quickly they pick up techniques for beating bosses/navigating/basic combat and so on.

On the other hand, I reckon I get a load more fun out of the game by being bad at it than do some people who are good at it. My other game is golf - I rest my case!

Which is why whenever I see an estimated time for completing a game I mentally times it by two or three for my game time.

Sure. I'd probably go a lot faster if I went gung-ho for the endgame, but that isn't - for me - what games are about. Take an example, it took me about 36 hours to read War and Peace, but if it had been a videogame instead of a book I'd have spent a whole load of time going back and wandering around the battlefield of Borodino just out of interest and sod the plot.

That make any sense?
I always wish I could enjoy games like this, take my time and absorb all the details. I envy you.

spekkeh

Banned
Thats crazy. Really, before this game came out I would have never thought set up would be so important to so many people. People rave about a collection of same-y RPG battles just because its set in front of a beautiful backdrop. People don't have problems replaying a level over and over because a death if you create a culture and mindset of elitism. Before this I just couldn't believe the packaging would be so off putting ask to make people sour on some enjoyable actions.

Can't agree on that at all. Where Galaxy exceeds in the brevity of a concept SS exceeds in the breath of one.
Not sure what you meant exactly, but personally I hate collections of same-y RPG battles and am done with the 'look at me I'm so hardcore' games ever since I left adolescence. It's just that a good story makes them bearable to an extent, or not look like padding.

(I still think it's one of the best games this year mind, it's just that it could have been so much better and you feel it while playing)

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
I always wish I could enjoy games like this, take my time and absorb all the details. I envy you.

Thank you. You have no idea how much I appreciate that. Way too often the response I get is that I suck. Sure I suck, but I suck a lot and I have a hell of a good time doing it too.

spekkeh

Banned
Yeah call it cutscenes or just masses of slow text popping up. Even in shops or when talking to people it is just so damn SLOW. And people talk a LOT here compared to ocarina. I really do think it somewhat ruins the game, it would be o much better without them. Really who cares what the kiwi says? Or that f**ker that pops up from the ground just to interrupt me in the volcano areas. Not to speak of the bug(?) that pops up the descriptions of bugs and treasures after every reload of save.

Really takes you out of the experience. Fii is the worst sidekick ever :(

Yeah I agree, although I think it would have been better if you could just skip the text with a button like every other new RPG out there, voicework would've helped too. To me part of the charm of Zelda games (ever since 2) is that it's a lively world with chatty inhabitants, it's just a shame that the game is trying to be unuserfriendly at every point. And totally agree with Fi, which is weird considering I thought Midna was the best sidekick ever.

BurntPork

Banned
I'm really struggling to finish this game...got heaps of other stuff I'm itching to play but I know if I move on I'll probably never come back, and that seems a shame

I'm at the
sandship, trying to fight the pirate captain, and he's kicking my ass. plus I'm basically going at him with half health, since that's what they start you off with after a death. and dying doesn't restore your shield health to where it was before your last fight, so that broke too. and now I've got to go all the way back to skyloft to fix it.

And there's probably hours and hours more to go...

I'm not sure if you beat him yet, but if you want to take the easy way out, there's a trick that I accidentally found.
If you stand back just enough, you can hit him without him blocking, allowing you to just go Jimmy Fallon apeshit on him and kick his ass.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
So, I finally finished the game. Took about 37 hours. Here's my main points and impressions:

+Motion Controls worked great for me. Only a couple times did it not go well, and that was due to me flailing with the sword and not trying to use subtle, directional motions.
+Use of items in dungeons was awesome. Had to continuously use different items rather than simply use the item you got in that dungeon. I loved the whip and beetle.
+Puzzles outside of dungeons. Amazing. Made each experience flow perfectly.
+Skyloft had really good flavor to it.
+Final Boss/stage Visual Design was amaaaaazing.
+Dungeons were very enjoyable overall. I think the only one I didn't like was the
Sandship
+Final dungeon was cool. Nice design overall.
+Enjoyed the items and pouch systems.
+
Ancient Cistern
+ boss was my favorite dungeon/boss in the game.

-
Silent realms
were okay, but eventually annoying.
-Tadtones. Don't care what anyone says. Annoying.
-Bird flying got boring and annoying. Didn't really enjoy the sky as the overworld. Give me Epona and an active Hyrule along with the puzzles outside of dungeons, and it's perfect.
-Fi. Midna was 10x superior.

Overall it was a great game. It started amazing to me, then kind of hit a lull whenever there was a collect quest, then ended great. Definitely not better than OoT, which I actually just completed for the first time on 3DS. (Was a wuss as a kid and got scared at the shadow temple). It's better than TTP. I'd give it a 9.3/10. There's still no feeling in gaming like enterring a Zelda dungeon.

MASSIVE FINAL BOSS SPOILER:
Wow it looks amazing in HD/Dolphin: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fL0RjdcsZUY

zigg

-Bird flying got boring and annoying. Didn't really enjoy the sky as the overworld. Give me Epona and an active Hyrule along with the puzzles outside of dungeons, and it's perfect.
I had serious issues with how useless the sky was, myself (particularly as I kept mentally comparing it to the sheer number of things out on the ocean in Wind Waker), but Epona galloping across huge empty expanses of land is not any sort of solution. If anything, it's equivalent.

spekkeh

Banned
At least you can watch some changing scenery across those vast expanses of land, instead of a few barren rocks pixelating in the distance.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
I had serious issues with how useless the sky was, myself (particularly as I kept mentally comparing it to the sheer number of things out on the ocean in Wind Waker), but Epona galloping across huge empty expanses of land is not any sort of solution. If anything, it's equivalent.

That's why I said an "active" Hyrule. Completely agree with you if Hyrule is like TTP Hyrule. At least with the sky, you don't get caught up on weird ridges and bridges.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Finished this the other night. Overall, i really enjoyed the game for the 43 or so hours i put into it.

The negatives for me were:

--Silent Realms were cool, but by the 3rd one i was tired of them...when i saw i had one more to do in Skyloft, i literally groaned out loud.

--3 battles with the Imprisoned were too many. It wasnt terribly difficult, but i found the battles annoying.

Really enjoyed the final boss battles, and ending though!!

Davey Cakes

It saddens me that more people can't enjoy games like this. But hey, you played the game a lot yourself (I don't even plan on playing Hero Mode), so good job!

Whenever anybody says that they quit playing or they they rushed through it in order to keep up with other games or work on their giant back log, it bothers me. I don't know, I guess that the older I've gotten and the more selective I've become with games, the more I've realized how important the quality of an experience is over the quantity of experiences.

In terms of a lot of GAF posters, there's A LOT that I don't get to play. It has to do with time, money, but also interest; a combination of these things, really. The best games in my favorite franchises mean more to me now than they did even back in the day, because they're what I keep interest in the most, and are what I can squeeze every cent out of.

Skyward Sword is a game with hours of content. I honestly can't imagine spending 100 hours on it, but I can't understand spending less than 40 hours, either. There are many "little things" that are satisfying to do in the game that are completely optional but that I find hard to pass up. And I'm not even talking about merely collecting heart pieces and finishing side quests. For example, I'll stop to catch blue birds in my net when I'm in Faron Woods just because it's satisfying to do so. Hell, I caught a lot of regular birds too, even though the use of feathers is limited. There's inherent pleasure in it. Additionally, when a Shiekah Stone told me that I'd win a special prize for collecting all the rupees in Thrill Digger, you're damn right that I played Thriller Digger (in beginner mode) until I uncovered every rupee, which took several tries. The prize ended up being useless but the sense of excitement (and "thrill") for completing the task really adds that little bit of extra oomph to the experience.

I never did get 43 slices in the bamboo game, though. Is that even possible? My record was 32, and that was while my sword was still short!

So yeah, I really take it all in. I paid full price for the game and in total my brother and I put 115 hours into it. That is how you get value out of a game that you really enjoy.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
- I hate the lack of monster types. Same ones are reused all the time up to the end. Where are the wizard and knight enemies for example?
I sorely missed the Darknut/Iron Knuckle fights from TP/OoT. I realize that fighting them probably would have involved standard combat and not angle-based slashes the way all the other fights were (since I doubt those guys are supposed to move fast enough to block everything), but the occasional enemy that involved traditional combat would have been welcome. I was somewhat disappointed when I
encountered three Staflos at once during that return trip to the Faron dungeon and beat them just by kiting them with Skyward Strikes.

I guess they were replaced by those big fat dudes with shields, who were not nearly as satisfying to fight.

Davey Cakes

While I was playing the game I was actually surprised by how many monsters there actually were. Based on comments I read before playing, it seemed that the whole game was just Moblins and bats. But really, there's a whole lot more than that (enemy "variations" aside). Now that I've beaten the game, the whole "lack of monster types" thing seems overblown. More is always better but there was decent variety in Skyward Sword, honestly.

spekkeh

Banned
Actually it's the quality over quantity aspect that makes me 'rush through' games nowadays. Most good games pour their best and most inventive bits in the main story quest, and delegate the lesser stuff to sidequests. Money isn't really a problem anymore, so I just play the barebones games and then move on.

_Isaac

So I was playing the pumpkin target practice in Skyloft and I was doing great. I had finally made it past 600 points and then the wiimote goes crazy. It's not so much that it was misaligned it felt more like it was flipped. When I aimed right the reticle went left and so on. My brain couldn't adjust to it and I ended up shooting a bunch of arrows into the ground behind me. Thankfully I had already managed to get past the 600 points. That was the only time the wiimote went crazy one me. Has this happened to any of you guys?

Thank you. You have no idea how much I appreciate that. Way too often the response I get is that I suck. Sure I suck, but I suck a lot and I have a hell of a good time doing it too.

It's amazing and admirable that you don't get frustrated, or at least not enough to stop playing. I think I speak for a lot of people when I say that when I'm having a lot of trouble with a game I just say "THIS IS BULLSHIT" and nerdrage over it and it was totally the sucky game's fault and rarrgghh. If I had the perseverance you do I'd have a lot less stress in life, haha. I can't tell you the number of games I just ended up plowing through by the end just for the relief of putting it away and not having to touch it again.

I am morbidly curious to watch you play, though. :D

spekkeh

Banned
The wiimote frequently goes beserk on me when I use the bug net. I keep it to one side so I can swipe a bug when it gets close, but I think it recalibrates itself after a couple of seconds. The neutral point is then with the wiimote tilted and off to one side, resulting in a completely borked waggle instead of a swipe. What you have is probably the gyroscope sticking in place though, and is a problem that gyroscopes are wellknown for.

9BR

Neo Member
Beat the game yesterday. To be honest,
I didn't expect the game to end after fighting Demise. Thought that Ganon would jump out of nowhere and beat the shit out of me, but oh well.
I can say that it's my favourite Zelda so far. Enjoyed every minute of it (well.. almost). The soundtrack was phenomenal, the graphics are colourful, and I actually felt like doing some side quests for once.

On the downside, motion controls were unresponsive at times which really drove me insane, ESPECIALLY THOSE DAMNED FLYING SEQUENCES, ARGHHH.
Also, The camera kept messing up during the final boss fight, and in other boss fights it was really hard to execute the stab. :|

....but overall, it's my GOTY of 2011 <3

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
It's amazing and admirable that you don't get frustrated, or at least not enough to stop playing. I think I speak for a lot of people when I say that when I'm having a lot of trouble with a game I just say "THIS IS BULLSHIT" and nerdrage over it and it was totally the sucky game's fault and rarrgghh. If I had the perseverance you do I'd have a lot less stress in life, haha. I can't tell you the number of games I just ended up plowing through by the end just for the relief of putting it away and not having to touch it again.

I am morbidly curious to watch you play, though. :D

Sorry to disappoint you, but there is absolutely NO WAY I am putting any of my playing of anything anywhere near Youtube! You wanna see me play you have to come round my place.

I've seen some of this bullshit/nerdrage stuff at close quarters, and really it is nearly always the player's fault - either he's not learned something, skipped past some important text, assumed too much, or - very often - is trying the same stupid thing over and over again without realising that if he can't make it work then maybe he is doing it wrong. Seen that so many times. And then when the same guy finishes the game (with help) he complains it was too easy, gawd 'elp us. Of course I sometimes get frustrated with a game, but there's a big difference between yelling at a game because IT is crap and yelling at a game because YOU are crap at it. Played a few crap games.

I do the same thing myself of course but, maybe through being older, I'm a lot more self-aware. I'm particularly crap at skydiving in SS for example and that's almost certainly because I haven't paid attention to it and haven't practised enough. So I need to put a bit of time in.

Some games of course just deserve to be given up on - and I don't play every game I get to the limit - but when I get a game I really like I max it out big time (Endless Ocean I & II, Galaxy I & II, No More Heroes (only the first), Little King's Story, plus a couple of Zeldas and that's just the ones I remember from this gen).

And you really really don't want to know how much time I spent on Wii Sports Resort Golf. It may not look the best game ever, but it took ten shots off my real-life handicap. That's some game that can do that.

Sagitario

So I was playing the pumpkin target practice in Skyloft and I was doing great. I had finally made it past 600 points and then the wiimote goes crazy. It's not so much that it was misaligned it felt more like it was flipped. When I aimed right the reticle went left and so on. My brain couldn't adjust to it and I ended up shooting a bunch of arrows into the ground behind me. Thankfully I had already managed to get past the 600 points. That was the only time the wiimote went crazy one me. Has this happened to any of you guys?

Not that I recall.
Did you try to reset it with d-pad down?

zigg

I've seen some of this bullshit/nerdrage stuff at close quarters, and really it is nearly always the player's fault...
It's really true. I've been all over Wii this generation, cultivating a steady hand and an awareness of what I'm doing with motion and pointer controls, and as a result I've been good at and had fun with many games that have been cursed at up and down for having "terrible controls." Self-awareness of what you're doing in a motion-controlled game is the key.

About the only thing it doesn't solve is M+ drift. That's still lamentable, but not insurmountable.

Amory

Oh man, hey nintendo, I appreciate you guys trying to give me as much game as possible, but throwing in a stupid escort mission just because LOL WE ACCIDENTALLY LANDED AT THE BOTTOM OF THE MOUNTAIN INSTEAD OF THE TOP feels incredibly contrived, and it's not much fun

Oh man, hey nintendo, I appreciate you guys trying to give me as much game as possible, but throwing in a stupid escort mission just because LOL WE ACCIDENTALLY LANDED AT THE BOTTOM OF THE MOUNTAIN INSTEAD OF THE TOP feels incredibly contrived, and it's not much fun

Yeah I didn't like that, but it wasn't hard.

Just beat this game. Loved it. Definitely my favorite 3D Zelda. Sure, the pacing really slowed down toward the end of the game, and I could nitpick a bunch of bad things, but those negatives didn't erase all the great stuff. The dungeons, surface areas, items, and bosses were fantastic, and those were what mattered most to me.

Art style and story didn't quite match Wind Waker, but Wind Waker is a disappointment for other reasons. I think SS is better for having both pretty good art and also really great game play.

Mistle

Just beat this game. Loved it. Definitely my favorite 3D Zelda. Sure, the pacing really slowed down toward the end of the game, and I could nitpick a bunch of bad things, but those negatives didn't erase all the great stuff. The dungeons, surface areas, items, and bosses were fantastic, and those were what mattered most to me.

Art style and story didn't quite match Wind Waker, but Wind Waker is a disappointment for other reasons. I think SS is better for having both pretty good art and also really great game play.
Pretty much agree with all of this

Chuckpebble

That reminds me, I was having a heckuva time with the pumpkin transporting job over at the landing. I only kept going back because the character that gives the task is so like-able. Anyway, in my frustration I ended up going apeshit on the pumpkin patch until there were no pumpkins left. I was a little disappointed that there wasn't some extra text for destroying the whole patch. I was still given a stack of 5 punkins though there were none around and I was fortunately successful that try.

Shiggy

Last temple is waiting now, and I'm very happy that it's over soon. Probably my last Zelda game for the near future. If only there had been more areas and a story that would've given an incentive to really revisit the areas ("haha, visit three dragons and go through the areas again").

Nonetheless, something positive: Apart from Ghirahim, I really enjoyed the boss fights.

maharg

idspispopd
That reminds me, I was having a heckuva time with the pumpkin transporting job over at the landing. I only kept going back because the character that gives the task is so like-able. Anyway, in my frustration I ended up going apeshit on the pumpkin patch until there were no pumpkins left. I was a little disappointed that there wasn't some extra text for destroying the whole patch. I was still given a stack of 5 punkins though there were none around and I was fortunately successful that try.

It's actually really easy once you know the trick. Just watch the bottom two, ignore the rest. Keep alternating which direction the first one is going. Move one direction (forward or left) in spurts between switching direction, only moving left when you need to move the pumpkin over to the left.

The ones above should stay stable as long as you keep that up. Speed does not matter *at all* if you do this, except that you need to do it in spurts.

Beyond that it's all just cyclical timing. I literally can't fail at it anymore.

Chuckpebble

It was so weird that you couldn't turn in that. I got all set up during the instructions thinking it would be like tight rope walking. Such a strange mechanic. I thought I was done with it, I imagine I can go back to her for more cash and prizes?

I had huge problems with it at first, since I thought it really took all of your movement into account. In reality, a quick jerk left of right in the opposite direction of where they're falling will stop the fall and make them start leaning to the other side. Whenever it's leaning too far, you just push the stick it in the opposite direction for a split second and it's good.

Top Bottom