• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

Finally getting around to this. 20 hours in. Just beat
That water dragon dungeon with the robot thing to get the first fire
. I think I finally got a handle on the combat as well. I was being too spazzy I think. As soon as I started being a little more methodical it worked way better.

A few questions/statements/somethings though. I'll throw them in spoilers just to be safe.
Do these insects do anything other than potions and selling them to the tall kid in the academy? I might as well just sell them now since I never use potions.

What was the point of upgrading those first two shields? That was dumb. I was expecting some sort of oh now it's electricity so I'll switch to wood, oh back to fire. Nope. Pretty soon you just get a good shield. Well okay then. Whatever.

The harp thing is terrible. You don't do anything other than keep beat. The ocarina was great in oot. In ww it was pretty much another ocarina they just had a time limit. I don't even remember what it was in tp. This is just crap. I don't even do anything. Why have different songs at all. They could just be magical keys or some crap. It doesn't matter at all. It seems they just felt they had to have an instrument for it's own sake and threw it in.

Also most of my items really suck. And seem like a new creative low. A reverse vacuum? Really? That beetle thing isn't that great. I liked it when it was a fun thing to mess around with the seagulls in ww, but it just seems silly to have it be a really important thing used in dungeons. And I don't like the electric whip. I don't know why.

Also despite their (what seems like) their attempts to fix it, the whole economy thing is still fucked. I have nothing to spend all my money on. At least my wallet is really big though, but it doesn't matter because I have nothing to buy, or even upgrade. I've already bought/upgraded all of it.

Dungeons are pretty good, I 'spose.

Not a big fan of the flying. There isn't enough to keep me busy. I just point in a direction, flap some, boost some, be bored, arrive at destination. I loved the sailing in ww because there was always shit happening around you. Those squids, or a tower popping up, or discovering subs, or a new small island appearing. When you just see all the islands right away and there usually isn't anything on there other than a locked chest (that probably has 100 rupees in it, oh boy) there seems to be no point. There is no exploring, it's just a long travel segment. Let me quick travel from skyloft to any bird statue on the ground if you're not going to put anything interesting in the sky.

Most of the townspeople seem kinda weak in the character department compared to previous games (or I've just grown up and use less imagination :( ). That one guy with the red silly hair (who calling it now will accidentally align with the evil guy right?) hes funny though. I like him. Zelda is probably the best Zelda... like... ever. She already has more screen time than any Zelda I can remember.

I like all the symbols and what not that keep popping up from oot and other games. Those just tickle me the right way.

Oh and I love the graphics. So pretty. They got that watercolor look just right.
Just some thoughts. Seems overly negative and nit-picky but I'm really enjoying it so far. Really great game.

Do these insects do anything other than potions and selling them to the tall kid in the academy? I might as well just sell them now since I never use potions.
No.

What was the point of upgrading those first two shields? That was dumb. I was expecting some sort of oh now it's electricity so I'll switch to wood, oh back to fire. Nope. Pretty soon you just get a good shield. Well okay then. Whatever.
Just give you something to work with for a while.

The harp thing is terrible. You don't do anything other than keep beat. The ocarina was great in oot. In ww it was pretty much another ocarina they just had a time limit. I don't even remember what it was in tp. This is just crap. I don't even do anything. Why have different songs at all. They could just be magical keys or some crap. It doesn't matter at all. It seems they just felt they had to have an instrument for it's own sake and threw it in.
Yeah..... : (
It's quite a let down, especially since it's entirely context sensitive in making anything nice.

Also despite their (what seems like) their attempts to fix it, the whole economy thing is still fucked. I have nothing to spend all my money on. At least my wallet is really big though, but it doesn't matter because I have nothing to buy, or even upgrade. I've already bought/upgraded all of it.
Did you already clean out Beetle's shop?

Most of the townspeople seem kinda weak in the character department compared to previous games (or I've just grown up and use less imagination :( ). That one guy with the red silly hair (who calling it now will accidentally align with the evil guy right?) hes funny though. I like him. Zelda is probably the best Zelda... like... ever. She already has more screen time than any Zelda I can remember.
It's hard to match the level of characterization from stuff like Majora, but I thought that there was plenty in SS if you spend time with them. You learn alot from their environments, what time of day you see them, and from other people.

Thanks.
Just give you something to work with for a while.
Silly.
Yeah..... : (
It's quite a let down, especially since it's entirely context sensitive in making anything nice.
Also that pumpkin mini game with it was so terrible. Yeah, I just got a ton of medals in rhythm heaven and you're telling me I'm bad at your silly mini-game? Nuh uh. Your mini-game is made of crap.
Did you already clean out Beetle's shop?
Yep, and that dumb bug medal is sitting in the item check.
It's hard to match the level of characterization from stuff like Majora, but I thought that there was plenty in SS if you spend time with them. You learn alot from their environments, what time of day you see them, and from other people.
Yeah, I'm only what like not even half-way so I'm assuming it will improve.

Also people complaining about it's slow start and tutorializing were totally over exaggerating. It's not even close to as bad as I remember tp being. At least story was happening in this.

Also that pumpkin mini game with it was so terrible. Yeah, I just got a ton of medals in rhythm heaven and you're telling me I'm bad at your silly mini-game? Nuh uh. Your mini-game is made of crap.
Oh my gosh, why did you have to bring back those horrible memories?! I think I was stuck doing that for half an hour, hahaha.

Also people complaining about it's slow start and tutorializing were totally over exaggerating. It's not even close to as bad as I remember tp being. At least story was happening in this.
The only bad tutorial is that stupid, mandatory "THIS IS THE WII MOTION PLUS AND WE KNOW YOU'RE TOO DUMB TO UNDERSTAND BASIC CONCEPTS SO HERE'S A VIDEO OKAY!"

StevieP

Banned
The only bad tutorial is that stupid, mandatory "THIS IS THE WII MOTION PLUS AND WE KNOW YOU'RE TOO DUMB TO UNDERSTAND BASIC CONCEPTS SO HERE'S A VIDEO OKAY!"

To be fair, as evidenced by this thread and many others (including some of the enthusiast press) most people were too dumb lol.

zychi

Banned
Dunno if its been posted yet, but teefury.com has an awesome Adventure Time/Legend of Zelda mash up shirt on sale for $10 today only.

1326489081_BOTTOM__011220h31m48.jpg

Sagitario

Hope nobody's beaten me to it, but Nintendo made a new "Epic trailer" for the game.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VKIc...layer_embedded

This makes me want to go finish
my hero mode run

Some game deserves a second wind at marketing. Skyward Sword definitely does.

But that trailer spoils SO MUCH. If you haven't finished the game, DO NOT WATCH IT. It reveals a lot of nice and important [gameplay] surprises and plot/story elements.

GC|Simon

I've two questions. It would be nice if someone could answer them:

- I'm currently collecting this
hereo song
. I got two of three parts. I'm missing the one in Ranelle. How long does it approxemately take from this point until the end?
- How to beat the endboss
without an immortal shield
?

Thanks in advance!

Wii Tank

I've two questions. It would be nice if someone could answer them:

- I'm currently collecting this
hereo song
. I got two of three parts. I'm missing the one in Ranelle. How long does it approxemately take from this point until the end?
- How to beat the endboss
without an immortal shield
?

Thanks in advance!

You still have at least a few hours left, but you're getting close to the end.

If you properly shield bash an enemy when they attack then your shield won't get damaged. The purple shield also regenerates over time so just practice shield bashing and play defensively

Hopefully that answers your questions

Tomodachi

I finished the game yesterday on Dolphin. Awesome stuff, really. Yeah, it's got some annoying flaws but overall I think this is one of the finest Zeldas ever made. The ending is simply astonishing and I loved the final boss. It would have been perfect without the final dungeon, probably, that's what really annoyed me, just more of the same if you ask me.

I wanted to try Hero mode a bit and I also would like to get a save file for my console so that I can play it there in the future, the problem is that the only website I know with savefiles is gamefaqs, and it only has three savefiles for the european version (I'm stuck with that), and two of them won't work, no idea why, the third one is too behind in the game, I'd hate to play again the last 10 hours in normal mode. So I was wondering, is there any kind soul who could hook me up with his save file for the european version? One right before the final boss or maybe one just at the beginning of hero mode would be awesome. Thanks a lot!

Tomodachi

Any reason you can't, like save your own savefile?
I played and finished it on Dolphin, as I said :(
As far as I know there's no way to convert dolphin saves to wii saves (different format) without having a homebrew enabled console and I'm not feeling like installing the homebrew channel just for this. I might though, just thought asking for a save file would be simpler and safer.
Also sorry if I wasn't clear enough but English is not my first language :(

jwj442

I'm midway through the last dungeon, and I've enjoyed it, but it's been a rather divided and uneven experience.

There are times playing the game when I say to myself "this is one of the best game ever" and then there are times when I hate the game.

The sword combat is good, but not really revolutionary. I am a little disappointed at the lack of enemy variety - Lizalfos and
Teknoblins
are cool, arrow bokoblins are cool, but the enemies never really advance beyond them (moblins aren't really fun to fight, and
Dark Lizalfos
are a minor upgrade). Generally though, I liked the controls, besides the harp minigame.

The story is basically terrible. One of the reasons for OoT's enduring popularity is that the story, basic as it is, does a good job motivating the player. Nearly every place you visit as an adult has some sort of close connection both to the child portion and to Ganondorf. It really feels like the world needs to be saved. Majora's Mask does this even better.

There were some parts of Wind Waker and Twilight Princess that drifted away from this - you were pretty much doing stuff just because you were told to. Unfortunately, Skyward Sword takes it much further. It never feels like Ghirahim
or Demise
are particularly dangerous or important.
Yeah, Demise can destroy the temple - but I still never felt any real urgency about stopping him).
The story basically degenerates to "go here just because."

Generally speaking, everything in the desert is great fun. Whoever was in charge of that area should get a major promotion and be lead designer for a future game (not necessarily Zelda). The volcano is mostly fun with some annoying parts, and the forest is sometimes fun but has some of the worst parts of the game. The
Water Dragon
might be the worst character in Zelda history just because she wastes your time with such stupid tasks.

Skyloft is okay, but disappointing overall. Having sidequests is nice but they feel kind of perfunctory. It is probably the second-or-third best 3D Zelda town after Clock Town and maybe Windfall - but it's the only town, unless you count the Lumpy Pumpkin. Which is cool with great music, but it should have either been developed a lot more or there should have been more locations like it (or both). The Bazaar is great though.

And I don't need to say how annoying Fi is (I defended her earlier but I've changed my mind since). One of the enjoyable things about the volcano section near the end is that you don't have to listen to her. And there's the annoying inventory thing.

Also, while the soundtrack is orchestrated and has a few standouts, overall there seem to be less memorable tunes than the N64 games or Wind Waker.

But with all those criticisms, the game has (mostly) excellent level design and does a great job with its items - not only introducing some cool new/revamped ones, but using them throughout the game. As I said before, there were times playing the game when I'd say out loud, "this is the coolest game ever" because it's so clever at times, even when I had been cursing at Fi or at some stupid padding five minutes earlier. The core mechanics are solid, and stamina and upgrades are good additions even if they could be developed more in the future. While I haven't finished the last dungeon yet, it seems like it may be the best final dungeon in the series, at least of the 3D games. I've enjoyed every dungeon very much after the first and even the first was pretty good (it had good visuals and atmosphere). And it's hard to overstate how awesome everything in the desert is. Not all the pre-dungeon segments outside the desert are fun, but many of them are.

While I'm not quite finished, I think I would rank it even with Wind Waker and behind the N64 games (probably ahead of Twilight Princess - but I'm not sure, having only finished that one once). Both SS and WW are games that do some things extraordinarily well (very different things for each game), but have major flaws too. Yes, some parts of OoT show their age, but it's still a more balanced and better-paced experience overall.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
I played and finished it on Dolphin, as I said :(
As far as I know there's no way to convert dolphin saves to wii saves (different format) without having a homebrew enabled console and I'm not feeling like installing the homebrew channel just for this. I might though, just thought asking for a save file would be simpler and safer.
Also sorry if I wasn't clear enough but English is not my first language :(

Oh, your English is perfectly clear. It is my fault for not knowing what a "Dolphin" is.

Chuckpebble

Wait. That was mandatory? Its always there on the title screen, I clicked it voluntarily to see what it was, but was it mandatory? I honestly don't know.

_Isaac

Wait. That was mandatory? Its always there on the title screen, I clicked it voluntarily to see what it was, but was it mandatory? I honestly don't know.

I don't think that was mandatory because I never saw it. Well, I did see my sister click on it one day, but I think she just exited out immediately.

entremet

I don't know, but this game finally clicked for me. I'm loving it. I will most likely 100 percent this game, first Zelda game to 100 percent since Majora's Mask.

The OST really stands out.

I'm loving Bamboo Island. So serene. And that minigame didn't yield a heart piece?!

When I wanted to play the game, it made me sit through the entire video of "this is how you wii motion plus." I pressed every button on my controller, and nothing happened. I was stuck, sitting there staring at the ceiling waiting for the instruction manual to end.

Anteo

When I wanted to play the game, it made me sit through the entire video of "this is how you wii motion plus." I pressed every button on my controller, and nothing happened. I was stuck, sitting there staring at the ceiling waiting for the instruction manual to end.

This is for any game, but only if you had not used the WM+ before iirc.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
This is for any game, but only if you had not used the WM+ before iirc.

I think that must be it. I remember getting the mandatory video with Wii Sports Resort. I did get it again with Skyward Sword, but that might be just because my Wii had just come back from repairs so maybe it got reset somehow. Never seen it otherwise.

Darkgran

I really don't like this game. About 18 hours in and I'm done.

Huge disappointment in every way. The motion controls are killing it for me. My least favorite Zelda game by far.

Dowsing..screw it. Oh look I'm at the door of a dungeon..how about a poorly done fetch quest to pad the game? Didn't like it the first time?..Let's do it again.

Puzzles suck. Story sucks. Characters suck. Not fun at all.

Just killed the
Squid monster on the boat. Got the second flame.

How close to the end am I? Obviously there is another
flame
to get. What's the general structure of what's to come after that?

jwj442

Just killed the
Squid monster on the boat. Got the second flame.

How close to the end am I? Obviously there is another
flame
to get. What's the general structure of what's to come after that?
Some stuff in the sky and three somewhat large tasks on the surface - the desert one is great, the volcano one is a nice change of pace, and the forest one is one of the dumbest things a Zelda game has ever made you do. Then yet another Silent Realm. Then the last dungeon, which is probably the biggest and best final dungeon in a 3D Zelda.

GC|Simon

I saw the credits two hours ago. Super short review:
Cons: backtracking, repetition (the imprisoned!), empty sky loft, no story with turn-arounds
Pros: fantastic dungeon design, dungeon-like world, incredible soundtrack, beautiful look, great items (the bug!)
Conclusion: Great Zelda game which offers ~38h of fun. However, Ocarina Of Time (3DS) is better. Epona > bird :D

TheBear

I really don't like this game. About 18 hours in and I'm done.

Huge disappointment in every way. The motion controls are killing it for me. My least favorite Zelda game by far.

Dowsing..screw it. Oh look I'm at the door of a dungeon..how about a poorly done fetch quest to pad the game? Didn't like it the first time?..Let's do it again.

Puzzles suck. Story sucks. Characters suck. Not fun at all.

I feel the same about this game, which is really disappointing. I'm upto the second temple and at times I feel like I'm having fun, and then the shitty waggle gets in the way and I get the shits. Really wish it didn't require m+, at least TP didn't require me to sit exactly in front of the television and and flail my arms like an asshole.

StevieP

Banned
I feel the same about this game, which is really disappointing. I'm upto the second temple and at times I feel like I'm having fun, and then the shitty waggle gets in the way and I get the shits. Really wish it didn't require m+, at least TP didn't require me to sit exactly in front of the television and and flail my arms like an asshole.

2006, is that you?

Xun

Haha what?

Myriadis

Really wish it didn't require m+, at least TP didn't require me to sit exactly in front of the television and and flail my arms like an asshole.

I really seen some guys playing it like this and I can't understand it.
I just flick my wrist and that works well. No flailing needed.

Jarlaxle

OK, update time. I'm on my way to the
5th
dungeon. Still really, really loving this game. The last dungeon was great as well and it had the best boss fight of the game so far. Really enjoyable.

There's really only one part about the game that I haven't enjoyed so far and I hopefully only have one more of them to do.
The silent realm stuff. It's not that it's tough or anything but I'm not a huge fan of time limit stuff (probably one of the reasons I'm not a huge fan of MM) and I hate when I'm running around looking for those stupid seed things with the guys chasing right behind me. I just don't enjoy it. I just did the desert one tonight and I didn't die on it but it took me 20 minutes because I couldn't find the last seed. Oh well, should only have to do it once more hopefully.

Onward to more fun!

Hazanko

Banned
My god! I'm up to the 2nd temple and the controls were terrible. Slow pointer in menu, swings not accurate. It was awful but now it's wonderful! The calabration information Nintendo give is awful. It says to put on flat surface! I do and get all those problems. I decided to hold it still in the air and now works great. The pointer moves fast and my swings are accurate. Luckily I tried that or I would of hated this game.

Rekubot

It's a shame there's no title sequence in this game. The world above the clouds is so beautiful I can't believe Nintendo forwent the chance to show it off with some soothing music in the background.

ajim

Alright, I've had this game since launch however I'm just getting into it now after putting both Xenoblade Chronicles and The Last Story through their paces.

Absolutely loving the game so far, it's really refreshing, and a joy to play.

I'm up to the
Lanayru Desert and got the upgraded flying bug
and am competely stumped at what to do at this point. Oh well, I'll keep trying to figure it out. It's probably something really simple I'm overlooking.

Anyway, the controls are fantastic, puzzles have been nice, overworld is fantastic (I love cruising around on the bird) and it looks so purdy.

Effect

That's it! :( I'm at the
Skyloft
Silent Realm and I've reached a deal breaker (it's been building up) for future Zelda games. As much as I'm enjoying this game, and I'm loving it for the most part, if this crap (or anything like it) is in a future Zelda game I'm not buying it. I'm finally at the point now where it's no longer worth it to suffer through a small part of what is otherwise an extremely enjoyable game. Collecting things in general can be annoying but I really don't mind that. The sections leading up to this were okay. I don't mind that type of thing. I normally dislike time based sections in general but I can usually deal with them. This Silent Realm crap is something else all together.

I'll eventually get through this I think. Will be taking a break again (started playing again today and put just under 5 hours into) and will watch some youtube videos to see others run this so I know exactly what to do. Hopefully that helps me get pass it quickly. This type of thing though is not fun or challenging. It's pure frustration.

I was trying to hold off playing Xenoblade until I finish Skyward Sword. That's not happening now.

Effect

Well I've calm down from last night. Managed to clear it this afternoon after failing several times. A video on YouTube did help though. Just glad it's over. However still feel this is going to be a deal breaker for the next game and I'm not replaying this one do to these sections.

Nyoro SF

I didn't have any trouble with the Silent Realms though. Where are you making mistakes?

Farore: 2 tries
Naryu: 1 try
Din: 2 tries
Skyloft: 1 try (I figured out by accident that if you throw yourself off the edge, the Guardians stop chasing you, you get to keep all your tears and no timer penalty).

Effect

It's not the point of making mistakes or even being able to do them eventually. It's just that they simply aren't fun but frustrating. There is no sense, at least for me, of accomplishment after finishing them. No feeling that I just completed a challenging but enjoyable section of a game. Just relief that those frustrating minutes are behind me and I can get back to enjoying the game. I also would not be surprised if these sections stopped some players, especially those new to the series, from even finishing the game and turned them off to it.

They've certainly changed my opinion of the game for the worse. If I could just cut out those sections the game would be near perfect for me as a Zelda game.

Nyoro SF

It's not the point of making mistakes or even being able to do them eventually. It's just that they simply aren't fun but frustrating. There is no sense, at least for me, of accomplishment after finishing them. No feeling that I just completed a challenging but enjoyable section of a game. Just relief that those frustrating minutes are behind me and I can get back to enjoying the game. I also would not be surprised if these sections stopped some players, especially those new to the series, from even finishing the game and turned them off to it.

They've certainly changed my opinion of the game for the worse. If I could just cut out those sections the game would be near perfect for me as a Zelda game.

I take it you hate platformers.

I thoroughly enjoyed the challenge and creativity of the Silent Realms, and I hope something in a similar vein appears in future Zeldas.

I've always digged time-based challenges like the block puzzle or trading sequence in OoT.

"Timed required perfect-run stealth collection section" is a funny definition for "platformer", or at least as a litmus test for whether you like them or not.

Mistle

I really enjoyed the Silent Realms. But I was in "OMG SKYWARD SWORD" mode. I still absolutely love the game though, but it's yet to be seen if they'll become an annoyance when I replay it.

Effect

I take it you hate platformers.

I thoroughly enjoyed the challenge and creativity of the Silent Realms, and I hope something in a similar vein appears in future Zeldas.

I've always digged time-based challenges like the block puzzle or trading sequence in OoT.

I don't understand trying to compare platformers and the Silent Realms. Not that same at all. I wouldn't compared things in OoT to it either. I did enjoy those in the end. Didn't have a problem with the time sections to make the Biggoron's Sword.

RoylAsult

im trying to find this game for cheap, really want to get back to playing my Wii. But i have a simple question. Do the HDTV cables make a huge difference when playing this? along with some other games?

Top Bottom