• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

JumpingTheGun said:
so do we have to go through the same boring shit like in the past 10 or so Zeldas where you have to take the first 3 hours to find your dick?
Yes.

Although based on Link's expression whenever he sees Zelda, I'm not sure he has a dick.

Nintendo-4Life said:
I would also like to see them explore that. But what I was trying to say is that a lot of the Zelda fans don't want it, they want a cinematic epic instead, others want what Zelda is providing right now, another group wants a side-quest heavy Zelda again (ala MM) ,etc.

I just want the team to stop giving a crap what the audience want/expect from them and just make whatever feels appropriate for them. To me, SS is "almost" that.

I hear you, and yeah it's kind of a clusterfuck collapsing all "fan service" into one cohesive game I'd also rather see them do whatever they want vs. what fans want. But I'm completely for giving it to Miyamoto as his last game he personally directs, regardless of outcome he/we deserve to get one last true Miyamoto game. It would sort of bring my gaming (and Nintendo's) life full circle.

Magnus

JumpingTheGun said:
so do we have to go through the same boring shit like in the past 10 or so Zeldas where you have to take the first 3 hours to find your dick?
Yes.

Also, I saved and reloaded and the water level is higher. Without me hitting anything else. Lol. Bug?

butter_stick said:
Yes.

Although based on Link's expression whenever he sees Zelda, I'm not sure he has a dick.

well at least it stays with fucking tradition. why change now? its only been close to 30 years. still buying on sunday. thanks butter-stick-up-my-ass

Struct09

JumpingTheGun said:

I'm 4 hours in and have cleared the first dungeon. The intro isn't as annoying as Twilight Princess' was.

Kard8p3

TheExplodingHead said:
I hear you, and yeah it's kind of a clusterfuck collapsing all "fan service" into one cohesive game I'd also rather see them do whatever they want vs. what fans want. But I'm completely for giving it to Miyamoto as his last game he personally directs, regardless of outcome he/we deserve to get one last true Miyamoto game. It would sort of bring my gaming (and Nintendo's) life full circle.

Yeah it seems like he wants to direct the WiiU Zelda so hopefully that happens. If anyone could take the series back to the basics of adventuring it's him.

The game is really good and well worth getting (obviously). But like every Zelda it has flaws and it's natural people are going to post more on specific things they are bugged by than more grand things they like.

I can say since dungeon 2 the game has been excellent with just the occasional "why, Nintendo!" thrown in.

JumpingTheGun said:
yeah i saw your post earlier on the "meh" first two dungeons, but that it kicks off at dungeon three. hows the animation and music?
Animation in cutscenes and boss battles are excellent. I've never noticed any bad animation anywhere to be honest. When it tries its characters have lots of expression.

The music...well I couldn't whistle you a tune from the game right now. It's certainly not as immediately catchy for me as Wind Waker was. The dungeon music is atmospheric and usually pretty great.

Reading all these impressions this is probably the first time Ive heard so many people disgusted with the beginning of a zelda game,(mind you I have not been on gaf for long so this is my first zelda release other than Oot: 3D) yea the beginning because Ive never sorted anything before the first dungeon the intro or tutorial or whatever I look at the game as a whole. I find it part of the game. Not specific to gaf or anything but sometimes it seems like some people want a game with one dungeon after another with stage selection like screen like super mario world or something. Complaining about fi being annoying or others like navi, the traveling method, the overworld,the controls..Are they really that detrimental that they qualify as a strong critical complaint? seems like Zelda has gotten to the point where people have to find flaws.

Lunar15

butter_stick said:
The game is really good and well worth getting (obviously). But like every Zelda it has flaws and it's natural people are going to post more on specific things they are bugged by than more grand things they like.

I can say since dungeon 2 the game has been excellent with just the occasional "why, Nintendo!" thrown in.

Yeah, I figured, especially in a game that probably throws some slight curve balls. I'm just hoping that they throw more hits than misses.

oatmeal

Banned
butter_stick said:

Pretty much how I feel.

pringles

oatmeal said:
The difference between us and you is that we're basing our impressions on actually playing it.

And our conflicting opinions are going head to head. It's classic GAF...how boring would this thread be if everyone just said:

"Amazing, I love it"

There's no discussion in that. The thread would be 5 pages long.
I haven't posted any impressions so I don't see how our opinions could go head to head. But I don't see many complaints raised that seem valid. They either seem like nitpicks or like a simple case of going in with the wrong expectations (like expecting the entire Zelda formula to be completely changed).

I also think people are too quick to pick the game apart and write their impressions. Most people would agree the first couple of hours of any Zelda game are the slowest/weakest. So impressions after playing the game for 5-10 hours are probably going to be much more negative than if you've played 20, 30 or 40+ hours.

pringles said:
I haven't posted any impressions so I don't see how our opinions could go head to head. But I don't see many complaints raised that seem valid. They either seem like nitpicks or like a simple case of going in with the wrong expectations (like expecting the entire Zelda formula to be completely changed).

I also think people are too quick to pick the game apart and write their impressions. Most people would agree the first couple of hours of any Zelda game are the slowest/weakest. So impressions after playing the game for 5-10 hours are probably going to be much more negative than if you've played 20, 30 or 40+ hours.

I agree for the most part. But expecting fans to not expect the first 1-5 hours to be just as good as the rest is a bit naive and unrealistic, right? Why shouldn't the beginning immediately grab you and never let go, and be just as great and memorable as the rest of the game...after of course those same fans suffered through the same thing in the previous entry. Seems pretty logical to me why that would be a negative right off the bat.

oatmeal

Banned
pringles said:

No one wants the Zelda formula changed, but we're not the ones saying "IT'S SO DIFFERENT."

Some people are claiming that and we're trying to argue that it isn't, that it adheres to a very strict formula. And that's fine. It's to be expected, but people like Big One keep saying how it's so different.

That's where that argument comes from.

I'm giving my impressions based on 25+ hours.

And the word 'nitpick' needs to be dropped. It's ridiculous. The game is NOT perfect, I can't think of ANY game that is actually perfect (maybe Super Metroid/LTTP)...but that's besides the point.

There is nothing wrong with pointing out flaws.

If this was just one person saying this is annoying and that is annoying, that's one thing. But there are several of us here, and the game isn't even out in the States yet! So I would imagine at least ONE more will have similar concerns. Especially since the game received mixed reviews.

We're not saying the game is shit, we're saying it's great, but it has some really stupid things that get in the way of a seamlessly enjoyable experience.

The intro succeeds in making you care about Zelda as a character. It's a success in that sense. My memories of the rest of it are just tedious "go here do this" tasks, but it did a great job with Zelda. Sadly I don't feel the story really has much momentum after my many hours of play, but we'll see. I certainly want to see Zelda again, so that's better than usual.

guek

Banned
I guess for me, Zelda openings never bothered me. I've always known right off the bat that I'd be in it for the long haul, and that the first few hours were always preludes to a much bigger adventure. All the 3D zeldas start (with the exception of MM iirc), with a link that is unaware that he's a chosen hero who is kind of thrust into the role. Nintendo has always made it a point to create a stark contrast to who Link was "before" and after. I can understand that feeling old hat to some, but I don't mind taking a little time to ease into a 40hr adventure.

bubnbob

Banned
Lord Ghirahim said:
I bought all the Beedle wallets and got the Tycoon Wallet from Bats.

I think that's it, tbh. You don't even need that much money, so I dunno what they were aiming for with it.

fernoca

And as noted:
-The intro/training is not 3 hours long. It CAN take an hour if you decide to do everything you're been asked and/or lost track as to where are you supposed to go to. But you don't need to do everything to go on; things are just there in case you really want to get used to the controls.

-Fi will bother you about dowsing this and dowsing that, but you're not forced to do it. And even if you do, dowsing is not an absolute guide to direct you were something is located, but more of a guide as to were to look around.

-Even with all the hand holding, the game is still as vague as the others when it come for the player to look/discover stuff. You 'll be told to find X-number of pieces of something, and use dowsing to help you locate them; but you won't be told were the things are or even the area. (i.e. in one of the cases, you have to find "some pieces" to "make one thing", but you're never told that for some of the pieces require the player to go back; so some players might get lost or pissed off because they'll keep looking and dowsing in the same area, forgetting that the "dungeon" started way before that part.)

guek said:
I guess for me, Zelda openings never bothered me. I've always known right off the bat that I'd be in it for the long haul, and that the first few hours were always preludes to a much bigger adventure. All the 3D zeldas start (with the exception of MM iirc), with a link that is unaware that he's a chosen hero who is kind of thrust into the role. Nintendo has always made it a point to create a stark contrast to who Link was "before" and after. I can understand that feeling old hat to some, but I don't mind taking a little time to ease into a 40hr adventure.
I agree, with the exception of Twilight Princess. We really didn't need to spend that much time doing genuinely pointless stuff.

bubnbob

Banned
fernoca said:
-Fi will bother you about dowsing this and dowsing that, but you're not forced to do it. And even if you do, dowsing is not an absolute guide to direct you were something is located, but more of a guide as to were to look around.

Hm? It absolutely points to the exact item. Do it for the Gratitude Crystals around Skyloft.

It's funny how this game gives the answer to any sidequests, etc. when they're making a $30 Premium Guide for this game.

fernoca

bubnbob said:
Hm? It absolutely points to the exact item. Do it for the Gratitude Crystals around Skyloft.
I'm talking in general without spoiling much, based on what others say; when it comes to dungeons. :p
Some are pissed off that it doesn't help a lot and is vague, others are pissed off just because it's there; all I'm saying (well, at least based on others) is that is not required to be used.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I personally think this game's opening is a LOT more enjoyable than Twilight Princess, Wind Waker, and Ocarina of Time.

However, I never would have thought before that item drop rate is something that I need to concern myself with in a Zelda game, hahaha. It's pretty... how should I say it, un-Zelda-ish.

Say, is there any missable sidequest in this game?

guek

Banned
SecretMoblin said:
I agree, with the exception of Twilight Princess. We really didn't need to spend that much time doing genuinely pointless stuff.

Yeah, it took me awhile to realize that with TP. I remember my first play through, I was just so excited to have a Wii and to be playing a brand new zelda that was clearly a spiritual successor to OoT that I didn't give a shit that I was running around saving kids from monkeys for a few hours.

2nd play through though felt incredibly tedious.

Kard8p3

A question to those who've played it. Most Zelda games only really focus on plot at the beginning, middle, and end so I'm wondering if it's the same here?

The problem with dowsing is the game tells you to use it, so when you end up being pointed in a direction you can't get to, you spend all your time trying to figure out how to get there rather than just commencing a more organic approach and finding things naturally. In the prelude to the second dungeon
there was a bomb-able wall near a small slope with two bombs on the other side. Because the dowsing shit was telling me what I wanted was behind this bombable wall, and Fi's only hint was that bombs travel further when rolled, I was convinced I had to try and roll the bomb up the slope. Which is impossible, but I tried repeatedly cos I had no other ideas. Only when I totally ignored dowsing and just ran around looking for anything unusual did I progress

bubnbob

Banned
Kard8p3 said:
A question to those who've played it. Most Zelda games only really focus on plot at the beginning, middle, and end so I'm wondering if it's the same here?

Absolutely. The game is heavily segmented so you know when a chunk of story is coming up.

Story -> Part 1 of quest -> Story -> Part 2 of quest -> Story -> Part 3 ->

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
butter_stick said:
The problem with dowsing is the game tells you to use it, so when you end up being pointed in a direction you can't get to, you spend all your time trying to figure out how to get there rather than just commencing a more organic approach and finding things naturally. In the prelude to the second dungeon
there was a bomb-able wall near a small slope with two bombs on the other side. Because the dowsing shit was telling me what I wanted was behind this bombable wall, and Fi's only hint was that bombs travel further when rolled, I was convinced I had to try and roll the bomb up the slope. Which is impossible, but I tried repeatedly cos I had no other ideas. Only when I totally ignored dowsing and just ran around looking for anything unusual did I progress
Fixed

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
oatmeal said:
No one wants the Zelda formula changed, but we're not the ones saying "IT'S SO DIFFERENT."

Some people are claiming that and we're trying to argue that it isn't, that it adheres to a very strict formula. And that's fine. It's to be expected, but people like Big One keep saying how it's so different.

That's where that argument comes from.

I'm giving my impressions based on 25+ hours.

And the word 'nitpick' needs to be dropped. It's ridiculous. The game is NOT perfect, I can't think of ANY game that is actually perfect (maybe Super Metroid/LTTP)...but that's besides the point.

There is nothing wrong with pointing out flaws.

If this was just one person saying this is annoying and that is annoying, that's one thing. But there are several of us here, and the game isn't even out in the States yet! So I would imagine at least ONE more will have similar concerns. Especially since the game received mixed reviews.

We're not saying the game is shit, we're saying it's great, but it has some really stupid things that get in the way of a seamlessly enjoyable experience.
Honestly, people like Big One are going to always be obstinate and stubborn about their opinions. Big One, you want to know how Galaxy changed how Mario played. Gravity and the 3-D rotation/Planet exploration. The perception of how Mario moves around on a flat plain is completely changed by a rotation explorational method. Skyward Sword doesn't do any change that is up to this scale hence why Skyward Sword is not the Galaxy equivalent. If you want to keep arguing about the game you can, however, show pictures that you have the game or all you're saying is complete bullshit. For all we know you can be commenting about the game without having played it all. The fact that you own the game, played it, and thought about it shows that you have some credibility to you mediocre arguments. Also, if you say something like "I can't post photos but trust me" crap like last time, you're not going to get any trust from anyone on the topic here.

RPGCrazied

Laughing Banana said:
Well now... this is interesting. People seem to be very divisive about this game, eh?

As for myself, I've just reached the second area (Eldin) and this is my impression thus far:

- I jump onto this game after I finished Uncharted 3, and even so, I personally do not find the graphics as underwhelming. If anything, I really prefer this game's graphical showcase than that of Uncharted 3. A lot more charming, lovely, and lively in my opinion.

- The soundtrack so far do not disappoint. The music of Link's first real meeting with Fi, for example, is fantastic. The flying music is also very majestic and grandeur, I love it. And the various music change on the bazaar depending on the vendor Link is visiting is great too. The Skyloft's music is very enjoyable as well.

- People really complain that the opening is slow? Well I'll be.... Maybe it's just a matter of different type of gamers, but I personally really enjoy the opening section of this game, from the moment Link the sleepyhead wakes up from his bed to the moment he first dressed in the legendary green tunic, it's all very enjoyable.

- Personally, I think Zelda is really likable, and I love how Nintendo portrays her relationship with Link in this game.

- Surprisingly, the first dungeon is quite short. Scratch that, very short compared to the usual Zelda dungeons. Comparing the length of this dungeon to the Forest Temple of Twilight princess, for example, is like comparing heaven and earth. Maybe the Faron Wood section before the first temple counts as the overall dungeon itself? Regardless, it feels really short for me.

- So far, I really do not find Fi to be annoying or anything like that. Hmm, if I have a small complaint about her is how I need to click a few buttons to reach her 'Hints' and 'Rumors' section. Listening to her describing Skyloft's town folks is enjoyable :)

- Now as for the biggest one, the Motion+ implementation. I personally think that it is very smooth most of the time--there are times, yes, when it feels somewhat janky but those times are not big/significant enough for me to say, "Fuck this shit!" The gyro aiming feels precise to me--less faster than IR aiming, sure, but the impact is very negligible and it feels good not to be bothered by "Please aim your Wii Remote to the TV" hogwash anymore. The sword fighting so far has been great, with the first bossfight as the real highlight so far.

Dang, finally someone has some nice things to say about the game. Thanks for that. Reading all those negative and whining comments about the game being bad, or the story sucking, or it being slow to start, without getting the game until Sunday, makes me feel depressed.

What struck me most about the beginning of the game is how desperately Zelda want to fuck Link. I mean, damn, I've never seen anyone being hit on that hard. But Link is too chill to give a shit.

Paradoxal_Utopia said:
What struck me most about the beginning of the game is how desperately Zelda want to fuck Link. I mean, damn, I've never seen anyone being hit on that hard. But Link is too chill to give a shit.
How old are they supposed to be? Cos I thought the exact same thing.

Top Bottom