• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The MLB Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Mrbob said:
All right it is gametime! Too bad I can't watch it! :( Zambrano against whoever the heck the White Sox called up to get beat down!!!

Here is your daily Houston Astros Trivia challenge:

How many runs will the Astros score tonight?

A)1
B)0
C)2
D) Score a run? They'll be lucky to register one hit!

Get your answer in now! Winners will be revealed later tonight!

Thanx for typing this up :)

3 runs for the stros so far.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
I heart Berkman!!!!!!

Matrix

Is Mr.Bob a jinx? maybe he should predict things more often for us :p

Mrbob

LOL.

Enjoy your consolation in scoring more than two runs!

Seven runs is a nice total for a game. But it isn't as nice when you give up eight!

Matrix

Damn cold hearted baby bear fan :(

Matrix

Nice work Dotel,he blew the save but still got the win giving up 4 runs..roofles

Thaedolus

Well Dotel had a huge 8th inning where he worked out of the Mecir-created 1 out bases loaded jam, then blew up in the 9th but nailed the Giants in the 10th.

All in all, I say I liked what I saw in the 8th and 10th, but the ninth was just bizzare. Oh well, we got the W.

Matrix

Thats been the problem with Dotel all year,one minute he looks amazing and the next he's lit up in a matter of seconds.

Thaedolus

Well I'm much less worried about Dotel now as I am about Hudson and Harden both being injured, though they both seem to be minor injuries

Joe

what the hell? contreras' index finger curled up and he couldnt straighten it out, he had to leave the game.

Joe

contreras: 6ip, 2h, 0r, 10k.

jose finally pitching like he's supposed too. thank you jose's family.

NLB2

Banned
Awesome. Maddox's crappy first is only two runs and Sosa quickly got one of those runs back. I love that ugy.

Desperado

w00t, our defense is really coming thru in this 1-0 game...Beltran with the AWESOME catch to steal a HR and now the throw by Chavez. Roy's really on today.

Matrix

WOOT STROS WIN!

ROY-O WAS THE MAN FINALLY AND BELTRAN GEEZ THAT WAS A SPORTSCENTER PLAY :D

And Lidge > Dotel as closer....did I not call that shit :p

Matrix

Cubs looked good.

Btw Chi Sox just got Freddy Garcia..its been a pretty nice day for M&M :)

Freddy Garcia to the Sox! More pitching to go with the major's best offense. Took 2 of 3 from the Cubs. Now it's time to stop fucking around and get to the top of the division where we were 2 weeks ago.

Matrix

Make him a stro for life Mclane :(
capt.arl10306271947.astros_rangers_arl103.jpg

Eminem

goddamit, Griese!
Matrix said:
Cubs looked good.

Btw Chi Sox just got Freddy Garcia..its been a pretty nice day for M&M :)

OH HELL YES. I cannot tell you how stoked I was/am after hearing that.

Neutron Night said:
Freddy Garcia to the Sox! More pitching to go with the major's best offense. Took 2 of 3 from the Cubs. Now it's time to stop fucking around and get to the top of the division where we were 2 weeks ago.

Holy shit, another Sox fan :eek:
These three games with the Twins will be fun to watch...

nice sweep =p BAM. Took two outta three from you scubs. Ramirez had two errors today...man we were giving him shit. My seats were right off the third base line, 16 rows up. Awesome atmosphere, awesome game. When Timo hit that two run bomb, we knew it was over. I did want to see Shingo though =(

Buehrle, Loaiza, Garland, Garcia, Schoeneweis(when he comes bac) and our monster, MONSTER offense....looking good.

fuck, I am gonna miss Olivo though =( That guy was quick, and he has a freaking cannon behind home plate.

Eminem

goddamit, Griese!
Let's take a look at this offense that now has another top pitcher to support it...

MLB rankings:

Runs scored: first
average: first
HRs: first
RBIs: first
OBP: third
slugging %: first

bam. Garcia is gonna start Wednesday. hot shit.

Mrbob

Damn. Glad I went to play paintball today instead of watching the game!

Revenge will be ours in Wrigley this coming weekend!

All Hail C-Webb

Hailing from the Chill-Web
Cloudy said:
The Mets bullpen is just as bad as the Yankees (although Contreras was good today) lol

Now I know why you have that tag.
If the Yanks are up entering the 7th inning the game is closed.
Quantrill has been Ok (good by most teams standards), Gordon has been amazing, and Rivera has been even better with an ERA under 1.

Eminem

goddamit, Griese!
CHICAGO -- Carlos Lee was walking back to the clubhouse during batting practice Sunday morning when one of the White Sox administrators asked the left fielder what happened to his 'Cubs killer' status.

Lee entered the weekend with a career .339 average against the Cubs, eight home runs and 30 RBIs. But he was hitless in his first two games against the North Siders at U.S. Cellular Field.

"That's not me anymore," Lee said with a smile. "I gave it all to [Paul] Konerko."

hahahahha. Man the Sox always own the Cubs.

Eminem

goddamit, Griese!
Neutron Night said:
I thought I was the only one....

Fellow White Sox fan, I salute you! This is the year. We can't blow this division for the 4th year in a row.

Shit, when Maggs comes back we'll be as good as any team in the league. We have the best offense in baseball, period. Our bullpen is good enough, though I HATE Mike Jackson. At least there's no Koch to ruin it.

There are some rumors that we were gonna send Maggs to Atlanta for Ortiz and Andruw Jones. That I wouldn't mind, as we seem sufficient enough without Ordonez in there.

Kettch

Johan Santana has finally gotten back to last years form, so it's looking to be a good race between the White Sox and Twins this year.

Eminem

goddamit, Griese!
I'm glad the Twins are minus Rogers, Guardado and Hawkins this year. That would have made for one tough team.

Meier

PICK YOUR CLOSER

Gagne or Mariano? What a question. We started out trying to poll hitters on this topic. Bad idea. Because it quickly became clear, three players into the survey, that hitters would rather have periodontic surgery than face either one of them. Ever.

Phillies quote machine Doug Glanville summed up the feelings of hitters everywhere, saying: "That's like comparing whether you'd like to be swallowed whole by an anaconda or thrown into a pit with black widow spiders. It just depends on where your allergies lie."

So if the hitters weren't going to help us, we went to Plan B -- and asked nine scouts. The results might amaze you, considering that Rivera is the greatest October closer of all time and isn't exactly falling apart (leading the league with 27 saves, and a 0.96 ERA). But Gagne won in a landslide, collecting eight of nine votes.

Among the reasons: "Rivera's cutter is legendary, but Gagne has three pitches he makes the best hitters in baseball look silly with." ... "If you'd asked me five years ago, I'd have taken Mariano, but today, it's Gagne. More weapons." ... "Bugs Bunny stuff." ... "He has a 94-97 mph fastball with good command, a 70-74 mph downer curve ball with huge speed change from his fastball and then the 84-87 mph nasty change that dives like the best split in the league. Fifteen hits all year. Three walks since May 1. Pitches with no runners on. And it all adds up to no chance."

The panel acknowledged that Rivera has carved a fabulous career out of throwing one pitch -- and the hitters still haven't figured out how to hit it. And the lone scout voting for Rivera said that even though Gagne is younger, he would bet on Rivera to pitch longer "because of the looseness of his arm." But it's hard to argue with 81 saves in a row. In fact, it's just about impossible.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&id=1826380 :D

All Hail C-Webb

Hailing from the Chill-Web
Rivera has an ERA under .93, Gagne's is 1.7
Rivera has been unbeatable for 7 years, Gagne only for 2.
Against the Yankees Gagne didn't look great. Giambi homered off him (if it wasn't for an error by Matsui the previous inning, his streak would have been over), and he got 3 called strikes (only faced 4 batters) that according to ESPN's k-zone (and even without it's help) were so further off the plate than I had ever seen a called strike, and he had 3 of them.

When Gagne comes out in the 9th (even though the streak has been incredible), you don't feel like the game is over, there is still a chance that somethign can happen.
With Rivera you assume that the game is over, and are very shocked when it isn't.

Sactown said:
R
When Gagne comes out in the 9th (even though the streak has been incredible), you don't feel like the game is over, there is still a chance that somethign can happen.

he's got like 80 straight saves! WTF are you talking about?

Eminem

goddamit, Griese!
Sactown said:
With Rivera you assume that the game is over, and are very shocked when it isn't.

Yeah, what in the fuck? are you crazy?

Joe

its only because of the streak that everyones on gagne's ass. by this logic is dimaggio the best hitter ever?

i dont care that gane has more "weapons" rivera is a master at closing the game. when he coems in, it's over. end of story. not taking anything away from gagne but......

Eminem

goddamit, Griese!
Joe said:
its only because of the streak that everyones on gagne's ass. by this logic is dimaggio the best hitter ever?

I don't think anyone has called Gagne the best closer ever. But right now, I'm taking Gagne over Rivera.
All-time? Rivera is a no contest. Right now? Gagne.

Meier

evil solrac v3.0 said:
i dont care that gane has more "weapons" rivera is a master at closing the game. when he coems in, it's over. end of story. not taking anything away from gagne but......

From 2002-2004, let's compare their respective stats, shall we?

Rivera is 6-6 with 96 saves, 11 blown saves, 134 K's. He's thrown 150.1 innings and has given up 125 hits while walking 34.
Gagne is 8-4 with 125 saves, 4 blown saves (all coming in 2002), and 294 K's. He's thrown 196.2 innings and has given up 109 hits while walking 45. That's 46.1 innings pitched more than Rivera and yet he's allowed 4 less runners.

Uhh.. and it's not over when Gagne comes in? You Yankees fans are insane.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom