• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Music of Phantasy Star Online Appreciation Thread

Kokonoe

Banned
I'll just bluntly put it, Phantasy Star Online has my favorite music in an RPG. The soundtrack to each episode is progressive, unique, and diverse. I've never heard anything scored so beautifully in an RPG, and the musical gods, Hideaki Kobayashi and Fumie Kumatani, are the ones behind it.

Phantasy Star Online: Episode I

lp2Jru8.jpg

Phantasy Star Online: Episode II

1HrOqpa.jpg

QdOqt3w.jpg

Episode III and IV have good music as well, especially IV.

Anyone else love this OST?

PSO soundtracks are outstanding.
I absolutely love that the series hasn't slouched at all in the music department through all of the online iterations. PSO2 keeps that streak going.

Also, The Tower of Caelum is probably my favorite Phantasy Star series track of all time. Ep III had some extremely powerful music.

As a kid, I was always mesmerized by the opening song to PSO, and I still think it's amazing. The whole soundtrack is incredibly nostalgic to me, and what little I've heard from PSO2 seems really nice too.

Kokonoe

Banned
Mother earth of dishonesty PART1
Pray, for "IDOLA" the distorted
Tricktrack PART1
"IDOLA" have the divine blade
Day Dawns

Also:

Caves
Mines
Ruins

Temple
Seabed

CTLance

I think the first few chords of the PSO main menu music are burned into my brain.

Awesome music. Fits the mood so well.

Meicyn

Gold Member
Pioneer 2's music is forever burned into my mind. So many great memories from that game.

It's weird how I played the game for months, despite it having only four areas on Dreamcast.

Kokonoe

Banned
Seeing the love this OST deserves is making me feel warm inside. So nice to see.

Ugh... Episode 2 from the Gamecube version... /drool... this is my 2nd favorite game of all time.

You should've waited to post this until next month though! (I believe this comes out next month.)

http://www.destructoid.com/phantasy-star-celebrates-25-years-with-a-symphony-248757.phtml

=O I had no idea this was happening! Well, better to get us started early, yah?

Pioneer 2's music is forever burned into my mind. So many great memories from that game.

It's weird how I played the game for months, despite it having only four areas on Dreamcast.

There is a lot of depth to levels, they also have separate layouts and enemy placements which helps with that.

I forget which version of the game it was, But there was one version that continued to have the same holiday themed lobby music playing for an incredibly long period of time after they stopped actively supporting the seasonal events. It was also a completely horrible song that was waaaaaay worse then the default lobby music and led to frustrating the hell out of me for hundreds of hours. It may have been the valentines lobby theme I think? It has been a while.

That is the single instance of disapointment I have ever had from a PSO OST or soundtrack.

Kokonoe

Banned
Here's a really good Episode IV song.

Phantasy Star Online Blue Burst EPISODE IV Soundtrack - Underworld -chaos-

Love PSO music!
Here's my favorite tune:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjDQvHBQpKs

So how does the music in PSO2 compare?
Man, I want to play that game SO bad. Why won't they just release it? I thought the translation was done. I would buy a Vita just for PSO2.

I love the beat on De Ro Le, although in some way, it feels odd without hearing him splash about. Haha.

PSO2 music is pretty good, and I'm not sure why they won't release it. Maybe it has something to do with gambling laws? I'm uncertain.

Coxy

Man, I want to play that game SO bad. Why won't they just release it? I thought the translation was done. I would buy a Vita just for PSO2.

fucking AMAZING boss music
the field music is pretty good, but a little more actiony in general than PSO, but very nostalgic too.
it's a little hard to pin down though because it's constantly remixing the music a bit based on the situation

Celegus

Yes yes yes. The amazing music is one of the reasons playing PSO for hundreds of hours made it never get old. Similar to Animal Crossing, it just fits in so well you barely notice it when you're playing, but when you think back on it, it really was one of the best parts.

I have over 1800 gameplay hours logged and haven't felt the need to listen to anything else while playing yet.

You should just play the Japanese version. Nothing stopping you except a Japanese captcha you need to pass to register an account, and there's a Chrome extension that helps greatly with that anyway. All the details you need are in the OT2: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=532518

It's Amazing. Just damn amazing.

I have over 1800 gameplay hours logged and haven't felt the need to listen to anything else while playing yet.

Wow. A friend was watching me livestream a little bit ago, and made note of the fact that I'd passed the 700 hour mark, then proceeded to chide me for dedicating an entire month's worth of time in the past year to PSO2 when there are so many other games to play :x
I actually took a little over a month off of the game and managed to clear my backlog.

Maligna

Banned

You should just play the Japanese version. Nothing stopping you except a Japanese captcha you need to pass to register an account, and there's a Chrome extension that helps greatly with that anyway. All the details you need are in the OT2: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=532518

I have been trying to avoid going through the trouble of trying to figure out how to play the Japanese version. I'm not very tech savy. But I may have to try because at this point I doubt it's ever coming to North America.

Cimarron

From Seeing The Rough Wave - De Ro Le Boss Battle

/end of thread

But seriously this song rocks! In general I have not played a game since then that I so universally loved the music. Aaaw yis... the memories. =)

Any time I hear PSO Ep 1 music...instant nostalgia. Transports me right back to the forests. Right back to the ship. Right back to the shop. Probably for the rest of my life.

Phantasy Star games always had my favorite music. PSII in particular. The opening theme, the first dungeon music... so good. PSO carried on the tradition. It's one of the all timers.

Man, I need PSO2 so bad. I even liked the facebook page.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
The PSO soundtrack was so good - my favorite track was always Mother earth of dishonesty PART1 - Forest 1 - so damn amazing.

This and Mass Effect's galaxy map music are right up there with my favorites of all time in gaming music.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
This is one of the few game soundtracks that I can listen to and really go back to when the game was released, 2001. I think if pressed, I'd put it in my top 10 soundtracks. The only modern game that gives me those same feels is Skyrim. I don't know why, stylistically they are different, but there is something about hearing the OST and associating it with distinct moments in the game. Both OSTs have a certain ambiance about them, they work with the game world and establish the mood.

BLCKATK

The jungle theme is SO good. It is probably my favorite BGM ever. PSO is one of my top games ever and part of that reason is because the BGM is just so damn good.

Kokonoe

Banned
My favorite PSO track is this one, and Olga Flow is honestly my favorite final boss in all of video games.

"IDOLA" have the divine blade - Olga Flow Boss Battle Final Form

And this is another one that is pure delicious honey for the ears. Youtube comments are right, when it hits 2:03...MMPH. So good.

Cry, for 'IDOLA' the holy - Dark Falz Boss Battle Final Form
This is one of the few game soundtracks that I can listen to and really go back to when the game was released, 2001. I think if pressed, I'd put it in my top 10 soundtracks. The only modern game that gives me those same feels is Skyrim. I don't know why, stylistically they are different, but there is something about hearing the OST and associating it with distinct moments in the game. Both OSTs have a certain ambiance about them, they work with the game world and establish the mood.

The OST is perfectly crafted to the stages, like it really does feel like the music for this game is apart of the game.

Love that song, it's really peaceful. Jungle is actually my favorite area out of that stage.

There's something unmistakable about the style of the music in PSO that I just love.

It's just magical how good it is.

Aeana

I'm a big fan of the Premium Arrange CD with arrangements by folks like Yoko Shimomura, Masaharu Iwata, and Kenji Ito. Sadly those are not very present on YouTube for some reason.

Kokonoe

Banned
I'm a big fan of the Premium Arrange CD with arrangements by folks like Yoko Shimomura, Masaharu Iwata, and Kenji Ito. Sadly those are not very present on YouTube for some reason.

Another thing I had no clue existed. I'll have to check this out, maybe I can get it on amazon.

the original is the best game soundtrack of all time, not heard the others yet

Definitely should check it out, man.

VR Temple Alpha
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBoCrAQ4NF0

VR Spaceship Alpha
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gXFCQjSB_U

Jungle
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5G4bAvuxlfc

Seabed Upper Levels
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8Vi5Q59X64

Jackano

I love it too.
It's not my style of music but I love it because it's so atmospheric, and makes very much for the game's atmosphere.

The PSO II Jungle being one of my favorites in that regard.

canocha

I love the Jungle music.. soooo fucking awesome!

I played all games so much, but PSO2 didn't really click with me.. played until level 25, but after that the game flow kinda stops.

Top Bottom