• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Music of Phantasy Star Online Appreciation Thread

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I predict I get overwhelmed by a Nostalgia Tidal Wave when I start listening to these tracks.

Was I totally imagining the fact that the tracks are dynamic as in they jump to an up-tempo section when in combat? At least how I remember the songs is different to how they play in the OST.

Well, I heard the PS0 game on the DS did something like that. Speaking of which how was the music in that game?

I forget which version of the game it was, But there was one version that continued to have the same holiday themed lobby music playing for an incredibly long period of time after they stopped actively supporting the seasonal events.
IIRC, it was the Xbox version that Christmas lasted for a few years...

A number of the seasonal lobby tunes were dreadful.

Dits

BURNING RANGERS!

FLLLLLLLLLLLLY HIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGH!!

TOBITATE!

haha :) I remember loading up the mission for the first time on Dreamcast and nearly crying when I heard the song. Was so unexpected, amazing game.

<---- Purplenum

Kokonoe

Banned
Was I totally imagining the fact that the tracks are dynamic as in they jump to an up-tempo section when in combat? At least how I remember the songs is different to how they play in the OST.

The songs are dynamic in PSO, it remains calm when you aren't battling, but when you are battling, it goes actiony. It's done so well that you don't even notice. It has a very smooth transition.

Well, I heard the PS0 game on the DS did something like that. Speaking of which how was the music in that game?

Fyi, Hideaki Kobayashi and Fumie Kumatani composed PS0's soundtrack. I haven't listened to it in awhile.

Phantasy Star Zero OST - Desolate Scape (Soundtrack Ver.)

This is a song from the official soundtrack, as in, not DS instruments.

haha :) I remember loading up the mission for the first time on Dreamcast and nearly crying when I heard the song. Was so unexpected, amazing game.

<---- Purplenum

I've never actually played Burning Rangers, and my first time hearing about Burning Rangers was on PSO. That PSO Plus disc for Gamecube, Fire Swirl. Haha. Good times.

I was originally Yellowboze on Dreamcast, but really started playing on Gamecube where I put my most time with Viridia. On schthack when I play I'm Redria now.

Oh man, the massive nostalgia bomb I got hit with when they started the Burning Rangers emergency quests in PSO2...

I thought that was pretty awesome to see! I'd like for them to do more stuffl ike that in PSO2.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Any time I hear PSO Ep 1 music...instant nostalgia. Transports me right back to the forests. Right back to the ship. Right back to the shop. Probably for the rest of my life.

So much time going back to the shop. That Pioneer 2 music...

Kyzon

The music takes me way back. Back to a simple time where I had no worries, and just played this game like there was no tomorrow. I miss those days so hard.

I need this on my ipod

DigitalOp

Banned
Yes, PSO soundtrack is god tier of music in general.

My feeble young child mind trying to process the soundwaves. Oh, how I wished the future was as bright as this game!

Ferr986

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZ6ZW5wv13A

Best boss fight theme... seriously.

I always said the Wavemaster guys (Kobayashi, Kumatani, Tokoi, Ohtani..) are really underrated in the VGM scene. I mean, a lot of people know the music, but not the composers.

The songs are dynamic in PSO, it remains calm when you aren't battling, but when you are battling, it goes actiony. It's done so well that you don't even notice. It has a very smooth transition.

PSO2 music is even ore dynamic. Theres exploration mode, battle mode, low hp mode, burst mode.... maybe thats why they have yet to release the OST, theres a lot of pieces in a single PSO2 track.
The downside of having such dynamic tracks is that the songs on PSO2 arent as melodic as PSO1.

The new field music is awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QI1P-IIBBzU

But the best one IMO is Ruins.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeMdjIeJaPs

PSO soundtracks are outstanding.
I absolutely love that the series hasn't slouched at all in the music department through all of the online iterations. PSO2 keeps that streak going.

Also, The Tower of Caelum is probably my favorite Phantasy Star series track of all time. Ep III had some extremely powerful music.

Yeah, this is one of my favorites from Episode III too. That long, long buildup is so worth it.

Other Ep III highlights, for me:
Unguis Lapis - This evokes the same dual sense of calm and foreboding that the original PSO forest theme nailed so well. As a plus, it's 6 minutes long and you can really chill out to it.

Code -Deck- - "Let's go edit the items and spells we're taking into battle! YEAH!" Never had that thought before in a game? You might thanks to this awesome peppy music that accompanies you as you edit your deck of cards.

Cyber - Very futuristic, as you might expect from the title. Honestly, between the driving beat, the tense strings, and the weird dissonant phrases in the background, I don't really know what's going on in this song... but I love it.

thiscoldblack

Unconfirmed Member
I'm very fond of the Phantasy Star Online soundtrack. I listen to it from time to time for a nostalgia trip. I could listen to that start screen music all day! I also love the music transition from final boss to ending credits.. it feels so epic and gives a great feeling of accomplishment.

Also, the Mine's theme/music gives me strange vibes. Love it.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
One of my favorite PSO soundtracks of any videogame is not on that list.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDahBA0FRBA

Weird Night was the first tune I heard when I logged into PSOGC for the first time. But, I have it on my iPhone and listen to it all the time still. Image of a Hero was another favorite of mine.

Kokonoe

Banned
I'm very fond of the Phantasy Star Online soundtrack. I listen to it from time to time for a nostalgia trip. I could listen to that start screen music all day! I also love the music transition from final boss to ending credits.. it feels so epic and gives a great feeling of accomplishment.

Also, the Mine's theme/music gives me strange vibes. Love it.

Nice to see some more diversity in this thread. Yeah, Mines has a nice techno and robotic beat and theme going on. Quiet enough to feel like you're in a closed environment, the beat being loud enough to make you want to fight. Good stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3oGTW81GzI

Sakujou

Banned
Wow, srsly??? I HATED the music of PSO.

I loved the game, sunk more than 1500 hours back then into the two dc versions and into the gc version. The music was just aweful hell and all the way back.

Did not know that there were fans of it.

But its been years... Maybe i should get back on to it for a session.

K.Sabot

I loved the game, sunk more than 1500 hours back then into the two dc versions and into the gc version. The music was just aweful hell and all the way back.

Damn that sucks, I know how that can be sometimes.

Oh well, for me the OST is probably one of the best and most diverse in gaming history. It contrasts the intensity and sternness that came from the characters and art of the game(look at the faces of 90% of characters in the official art) with a highly emotive soundtrack with epic swings and depressing overtones.
It builds the world and gives it more color than the story in my opinion. Though the two working in tandem give maximum feels I thought not possible in an MMO. I honestly believe that the success of PSO's universe is half in the game and its minimalistic story and half in the music itself.

The situation on the ship doesn't really express the truth of how bad the situation is down on the planet, and the music correctly reflects it with how unabashedly futuristic and quirky it is. You don't really get that the remnants of sentient civilization have fled their dying home planet and the first colony on their newly found world has been completely wiped out like it was fucking Cahokia.
But then I hit up the command center and Silent Palace (or Codes of Silence if you are playing Ep.1) comes on. Instantly, the intensity and importance of the player's mission is conveyed through the grandiose direness of the music in a stronger way than the writing merely could.

Another strong contrast was in episode 2 after finishing the VR missions, where the Jungle area's music starts and you are exploring. It's all very serene, if a bit morose.
It's when you start combat and Jungle 2's song plays that was the turning point of "I'm fresh out of VR and this ain't so bad" to "this shit is serious, I am in fucking danger, and a whole bunch rides on me doing my mission".
It's especially effective after reaching the Central Control Area, where the weather changes for the worse and you are being bombarded by the facility's security.

Don't even get me started on World With Me, and the respective feels attached to that with the culmination of what was learned over the span of the story. Feels all over the place. Also shoutouts to Can Still See The Light, which was also quite effecting as an ending song to episode 1, with the way it's second half emotes that the end was merely the beginning of something bigger.

Nothing in PSO2 has managed to do anything for me as of yet, and that's just soul crushing. Perhaps if I had some perspective on the story and it were in english, it would be more affecting.
Gushing here, sorry it's way past time that I should sleep. Love the OST.

I didn't really mind the music but I just found it unmemorable.

KeRaSh

Thank you for this thread. The PSO soundtracks are amazing. I still listen to some of the tracks every now and then.
I just wish we got a 1:1 HR remake of Ep I & II...

I honestly believe that the success of PSO's universe is half in the game and its minimalistic story and half in the music itself.

PSO painted so many vivid pictures for me, something that I've never really experienced with other online games. The drip-feed of story beats you get from finding Rico's/Flowen's messages, coupled with the bits of information you can glean from quest NPCs, all set to that soundtrack... it really lets your imagination run with what it's been given. There is some serious, scary shit going down on Ragol.

Even the track titles are evocative and creepy, in a strange Engrishy way. "Mother Earth of Dishonesty." "Codes of Silence." "Empty Space Out of Control." "You Have Nowhere to Go." (Episode 1 is where I spent 90% of my PSO time, if you couldn't tell.)

Endesu

PSO music never fails to leave me feeling nostalgic and I was late to the party by several years.

That first forest track... so classic.

Kokonoe

Banned
Damn that sucks, I know how that can be sometimes.

Oh well, for me the OST is probably one of the best and most diverse in gaming history. It contrasts the intensity and sternness that came from the characters and art of the game(look at the faces of 90% of characters in the official art) with a highly emotive soundtrack with epic swings and depressing overtones.
It builds the world and gives it more color than the story in my opinion. Though the two working in tandem give maximum feels I thought not possible in an MMO. I honestly believe that the success of PSO's universe is half in the game and its minimalistic story and half in the music itself.

The situation on the ship doesn't really express the truth of how bad the situation is down on the planet, and the music correctly reflects it with how unabashedly futuristic and quirky it is. You don't really get that the remnants of sentient civilization have fled their dying home planet and the first colony on their newly found world has been completely wiped out like it was fucking Cahokia.
But then I hit up the command center and Silent Palace (or Codes of Silence if you are playing Ep.1) comes on. Instantly, the intensity and importance of the player's mission is conveyed through the grandiose direness of the music in a stronger way than the writing merely could.

Another strong contrast was in episode 2 after finishing the VR missions, where the Jungle area's music starts and you are exploring. It's all very serene, if a bit morose.
It's when you start combat and Jungle 2's song plays that was the turning point of "I'm fresh out of VR and this ain't so bad" to "this shit is serious, I am in fucking danger, and a whole bunch rides on me doing my mission".
It's especially effective after reaching the Central Control Area, where the weather changes for the worse and you are being bombarded by the facility's security.

Don't even get me started on World With Me, and the respective feels attached to that with the culmination of what was learned over the span of the story. Feels all over the place. Also shoutouts to Can Still See The Light, which was also quite effecting as an ending song to episode 1, with the way it's second half emotes that the end was merely the beginning of something bigger.

Nothing in PSO2 has managed to do anything for me as of yet, and that's just soul crushing. Perhaps if I had some perspective on the story and it were in english, it would be more affecting.
Gushing here, sorry it's way past time that I should sleep. Love the OST.

Bless this post. I agree with absolutely every single part of what you said, especially World With Me, which is my favorite PSO song and my favorite ending tune in a video game.

ezodagrom

PSO2 music is even ore dynamic. Theres exploration mode, battle mode, low hp mode, burst mode.... maybe thats why they have yet to release the OST, theres a lot of pieces in a single PSO2 track.
The downside of having such dynamic tracks is that the songs on PSO2 arent as melodic as PSO1.

The new field music is awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QI1P-IIBBzU
I like how some bits of music from previous games made it into PSO2 areas.
For example, in the link you posted about the Coast area music, the part at 7:05 is from Phantasy Star Portable 2 Infinity:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSsKpWETJLw#t=1m55s

Other bits from previous games that I can remember right now, let's see, there's bits of the PSO1 forest music in the PSO2 forest, bits of the PSZero snow area in the PSO2 Tundra, bits of the Portable 2 Infinity Sacred Ark in the Sanctum area, and one that is very rare to happen, a bit of the PSO1 seabed in the PSO2 floating continent:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLReeL7Dtjc

Daingurse

Love this as well, and gosh, that arena is HUGE.

When I finally fought Saint Million I felt like I had been truly missing out on something, as a huge PSO fan since Dreamcast. Console only PSO fans frankly are missing out though lol, as Episode 4 has some great content.

Top Bottom