• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Narwhals are getting naughty or is it Natty: The Ubuntu 11.04 thread |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
peakish said:
Finally running Ubuntu on my notebook today after installing this.

What was supposed to be so bad about Unity? As far as I see right now it loses none of the functionality of the bottom Gnome Panel (except the option to modify it, which I can see some people missing). The top Applications / Places / System bar it offers a search bar (browsing for apps is pretty awkward though). On top of that it looks way better. Seriously, IMO that bottom panel has looked out of date since at least Vista and I don't miss it for the world.

In other news, the system indicator area is coming along nicely. Even the preview Spotify client is integrated into the sound applet and everything looks great.

Problems so far:

- Is there any way to change the behavior of Unity? I don't like the autohide.
- Half the time I use meta-w to get an overview of all my windows it enters the Ubuntu Menu. I liked that Gnome Shell combines the two functions into one.
- I'd like to rearrange the lenses to the bottom, by the trash can, and keep my program launchers seperate.

In short I really like the way Ubuntu is heading towards with Unity. I'm not sure if I like it more than Gnome Shell right now (dem unlimited workspaces) but it's way better than the stock shell of olden days, which I always replaced with AWN or something. This is a nice release so far. Runs a bit sluggish on my system sadly, I'm tempted to try out 2D Unity...
You can change the settings for unity in compiz. I can't remember where but you'll see a unity plugin and click that. Then you can change stuff like auto hide and the like.

vordhosbn

Banned
I'm trying to install from the update manager, but I get this error saying the update information is outdated. So I check for new updates and get this:

Could not download all repository indexes

The repository may no longer be available or could not be contacted because of network problems. If available an older version of the failed index will be used. Otherwise the repository will be ignored. Check your network connection and ensure the repository address in the preferences is correct.

My internet connection is working fine as you can tell.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Installing Ubuntu alongside Windows 7 on my laptop. Installers get easier and easier every time, i really do love how simple this whole process has become now.

shoplifter

I downloaded and installed the beta Tuesday night. My wireless card (Atheros Wireless N - which does apparently have full support by default) was getting 11K/s, and the update manager and additional drivers would crash constantly. Reinstalled, same thing. I even tried all of the various terminal commands to 'fix' the wireless that I saw after some searching.

Is the actual release any better on this front?

Vanillalite

Flying_Phoenix said:
Oh my god this is taking forever to download!
Someone failed to read my OP.

Pro Tip: Click alternate download methods and grab the torrent. You will get max speed for your connection, and you can upgrade with the .iso now if it's slow through the update manager.

Vanillalite

vordhosbn said:
I'm trying to install from the update manager, but I get this error saying the update information is outdated. So I check for new updates and get this:

My internet connection is working fine as you can tell.
Try grabbing the torrent as I said above. Then just use one of the USB tools from the OP and put it on a USB stick. You can upgrade previous installs with the .iso now as well as clean install.

I am seeing high CPU usage with compiz (pegged at 100% of 1 core, on a dual core machine) but only after a while of the system being up and running. Anyone know how to deal with it?

Running ATI propreitry drivers.

Brettison said:
Someone failed to read my OP.

Pro Tip: Click alternate download methods and grab the torrent. You will get max speed for your connection, and you can upgrade with the .iso now if it's slow through the update manager.

I don't want to waste a perfectly good .5 cent CD.

peakish

Brettison said:
You can change the settings for unity in compiz. I can't remember where but you'll see a unity plugin and click that. Then you can change stuff like auto hide and the like.
Thanks, that solved it nicely.

I just noticed that Dropbox also has added an indicator applet. Everything's so colour coordinated and consistent compared to how notification areas used to be, it looks lovely.

So is it better to just format and install instead of upgrading? I got the prompt but clicked the "remind me later" button because I was doing some work at the moment. I would love to upgrade tonight or during the weekend but I'm not sure if formatting is best.

Also, I have a windows partition in here too, will I lose that if I format?

Thanks!

dude

dude
Unity would be great if there were themes for it that made it less look ugly and if I could disable that Mac-like universal menu bar...

itxaka

Defeatist
dude said:
Unity would be great if there were themes for it that made it less look ugly and if I could disable that Mac-like universal menu bar...

Give it a couple of weeks and apps and hacks will appear to enable/disable everything :D

I am seeing high CPU usage with compiz (pegged at 100% of 1 core, on a dual core machine) but only after a while of the system being up and running. Anyone know how to deal with it?

Uninstall ubuntu 11.04, install 10.10.

I kid I kid. First locate the process sucking that much CPU. Launch a terminal and write "top"

The process at the top is the one sucking the more cpu. Wait until the one that is fucked goes up to 100%.

Which one is it?

Is a laptop?

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
I noticed that my laptop is running hot as fuck. In W7 this is solved by using the power saving power scheme as i do unless I'm gaming on it.

Is there anything like this on 11.04? Currently installing and the DOwnloading Packages stage is taking a while.

dude

dude
itxaka said:
Give it a couple of weeks and apps and hacks will appear to enable/disable everything :D
Yeah, that's what I'm waiting for. Once themes are going to hit the scene I'll jump - I kind of like the idea of Unity, it's sort like a super Windows 7 taskbar, but I can't stand how ugly it is... I know, I'm superficial like that :\

colinisation said:
These drivers suck so much, UGH. I hate them and ATI. Nothing but trouble has come of them.

Vanillalite

dude said:
Yeah, that's what I'm waiting for. Once themes are going to hit the scene I'll jump - I kind of like the idea of Unity, it's sort like a super Windows 7 taskbar, but I can't stand how ugly it is... I know, I'm superficial like that :\

These drivers suck so much, UGH. I hate them and ATI. Nothing but trouble has come of them.

Must be very YMMV because I've got an 4XXX series card and my shit runs perfectly fine. It has for the last few releases honestly. No issues what so ever in terms of drivers here.

On a side note I tried to make the W7 comparison in the gaf linux thread. I swear most people think I'm crazy for the comparison, but IDK it feels extremely similar to me outside of it being on the left side and not the bottom. I can see how you might think it doesn't look that cool though. I wish it had more of the transparent look that the menus do when brought up. I guess that's just cause that's how the W7 taskbar looks.

Anyways I'm home now, and throwing my 64 bit copy on my USB stick now. Then gonna format my nix partition and do a clean install of the final version while I wait for dinner and the NFL draft!

Trouble

Banned
Just paved one of my mac minis, installing now. It was running headless, but I'm installing the desktop version, so I can use teamviewer on it.

The install CD has an EFI boot option, it seems like this version will be much less of a headache to install on Macs.

Vanillalite

New installer is pimp as fuck. It gave me an option to either update my current install, format and reinstall but just format my Linux partition, format everything it even said ubuntu and windows 7, or advance do it yourself. I was impressed it even said that I could upgrade my 11.04 to 11.04 (I had the beta installed) and that it knew I had both Ubuntu and not just Windows but specifically Windows 7. MUCHO impressive.

Installer is fucking $$$$ now!

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I installed the nvidia drivers but then it says the driver is installed but not currently in use

I don't get it.

Linux newbie here.
I am trying to install 11.04 on my netbook but get an error when trying to boot from the USB stick. I have eeebuntu installed at the moment and want to try 11.04 alongside it.

I have created the USB through eeebuntu on the netbook several times and get the same error.

When I boot from the USB stick I get the following message.

Unknown keyword in configuration file.
boot:

It then just hangs.

The ubuntu homepage seems to be having problems at the moment and I can't get to the support page.

Thanks for your help guys.

Side note: I have never been able to install Linux without some form of hassle. Is this my computer (eeepc 1002HA) or Linux?

canadian crowe said:
Is there a program to force my laptop fan to run? My fan hasn't been coming on at all and my laptop is overheating like crazy.

search: /usr/sbin/fancontrol

on Google

nastybastard said:
Linux newbie here.
I am trying to install 11.04 on my netbook but get an error when trying to boot from the USB stick. I have eeebuntu installed at the moment and want to try 11.04 alongside it.

I have created the USB through eeebuntu on the netbook several times and get the same error.

When I boot from the USB stick I get the following message.

Unknown keyword in configuration file.
boot:

It then just hangs.

The ubuntu homepage seems to be having problems at the moment and I can't get to the support page.

Thanks for your help guys.

Side note: I have never been able to install Linux without some form of hassle. Is this my computer (eeepc 1002HA) or Linux?

http://alexsleat.co.uk/2010/11/27/how-to-fix-unknown-keyword-in-configuration-file-ubuntu-usb-boot/

justin.au

Weighing up whether to upgrade my UNE install from 10.10 to 11.04.

Is Unity greatly improved, or is it not worth the hassle? It's a bit buggy in 10.10 so I'd be interested in hearing anyone's experiences with 11.04.

edit: That's the other thing, the upgrader said "fancontrol" would be removed if I upgraded to 11.04. Made me put off any decision.

thcsquad

peakish said:
Finally running Ubuntu on my notebook today after installing this.

What was supposed to be so bad about Unity? As far as I see right now it loses none of the functionality of the bottom Gnome Panel (except the option to modify it, which I can see some people missing). The top Applications / Places / System bar offers a search bar (browsing for apps is pretty awkward though). On top of that it looks way better. Seriously, IMO that bottom panel has looked out of date since at least Vista and I don't miss it for the world.

In other news, the system indicator area is coming along nicely. Even the preview Spotify client is integrated into the sound applet and everything looks great.

Problems so far:

- Is there any way to change the behavior of Unity? I don't like the autohide.
- Half the time I use meta-w to get an overview of all my windows it enters the Ubuntu Menu. I liked that Gnome Shell combines the two functions into one.
- I'd like to rearrange the lenses to the bottom, by the trash can, and keep my program launchers seperate.

In short I really like the way Ubuntu is heading towards with Unity. I'm not sure if I like it more than Gnome Shell right now (dem unlimited workspaces) but it's way better than the stock shell of olden days, which I always replaced with AWN or something. This is a nice release so far. Runs a bit sluggish on my system sadly, I'm tempted to try out 2D Unity...

Edit: The new scrollbar is quite strange. Don't like it so far.

The worst part of Unity for me was the sluggishness. When you take away options and make the remaining ones run unreasonably slow, you've pretty much failed at an interface. Using the Applications menu in old Gnome, I can launch pretty much any program I want within a few seconds. In Unity, it's pretty much impossible to launch any program in less than ten.

I'm not against Unity entirely, but the version I've used (admittedly it's the 10.10 version of Unity, 11.04 may be faster) is executed so poorly that it invalidates the sleek aesthetics. It would be ten times better if they at least cached the category lists and indexed program names for search.

I can't decide if I love or hate Unity. But it does seem very promising. Look forward for its future implementations.

Also YAY! Flash is fixed!

Vanillalite

thcsquad said:
The worst part of Unity for me was the sluggishness. When you take away options and make the remaining ones run unreasonably slow, you've pretty much failed at an interface. Using the Applications menu in old Gnome, I can launch pretty much any program I want within a few seconds. In Unity, it's pretty much impossible to launch any program in less than ten.

I'm not against Unity entirely, but the version I've used (admittedly it's the 10.10 version of Unity, 11.04 may be faster) is executed so poorly that it invalidates the sleek aesthetics. It would be ten times better if they at least cached the category lists and indexed program names for search.

It's not that sluggish for me, but then again I never tried the netbook version of 10.10 Netbook hardware in general is slowerish so I could see why people would rather have stock gnome.

Since I'm running Ubuntu on my desktop my hardware really isn't an issue and stuff so no major complaints here. There are some little things I'd like shored up, but I know that's what 11.10 will probably be. I said before I figured I'd be okay with 11.04, but really like 11.10 cause it'll sure up all of the 11.04 changes.

Trouble

Banned
Trouble said:
Just paved one of my mac minis, installing now. It was running headless, but I'm installing the desktop version, so I can use teamviewer on it.

The install CD has an EFI boot option, it seems like this version will be much less of a headache to install on Macs.
Whelp, that didn't go so well. Apparently getting a headless ubuntu install to actually start X when no monitor is attached is a PITA. Would require switching to vesa drivers, which means no Unity. Also, Teamviewer runs like crap on this mini, because it secretly runs under Wine.

Starting over and going to install the server version truly headless. Sigh, I should have just upgraded. :p

peakish

thcsquad said:

Browsing for apps pretty much suck right now, use the search bar. It's not as fast as the one Gnome Shell uses but the apps I search for pop up in ~half a second. I don't know if this was implemented in the version you've used but it's pretty much the recommended way to launch stuff that's not in your dash (which should containt your most used apps) right now. Well, at least I recommend doing it that way.

Not that they shouldn't make browsing for apps easier but it really shouldn't be used a lot.

Oh my god, what the fuck!!!

Why are the minimize, fullscreen, and close buttons on the top right of the windows!!!???? Why did they switch them!? Is there a way to flip them back to the top left?

Seriously this is very annoying and not at all with the workflow.

peakish

Flying_Phoenix said:
Oh my god, what the fuck!!!

Why are the minimize, fullscreen, and close buttons on the top right of the windows!!!???? Why did they switch them!? Is there a way to flip them back to the top left?

Seriously this is very annoying and not at all with the workflow.
They're top left for me (fresh install). Dunno what's going on for you.

(Kind of amusing that you outrage at a reverse switch while "everyone" else did that at the first switch to the left though :p)

I got to admit, 11.04 is really growing on me. If they fixed navigating through the fullscreen folders and applications, fix folder management, and made it much much more zippy they'd really have something amazing.

peakish said:
They're top left for me (fresh install). Dunno what's going on for you.

(Kind of amusing that you outrage at a reverse switch while "everyone" else did that at the first switch to the left though :p)

Who gives a shit what people think? They just don't like change.

I remember when i first switched to OSX after years upon years of Windows and I was amazed how much better things worked when they were at the top left. I'm so baffled to why people preferred otherwise.

God I miss OSX so much :'(

And I did an upgrade from a Wubi installed 10.10 so maybe that's it? Is there a way to switch it?

Vanillalite

Flying_Phoenix said:
I got to admit, 11.04 is really growing on me. If they fixed navigating through the fullscreen folders and applications, fix folder management, and made it much much more zippy they'd really have something amazing.

I remember when i first switched to OSX after years upon years of Windows and I was amazed how much better things worked when they were at the top left. I'm so baffled to why people preferred otherwise.

God I miss OSX so much :'(

And I did an upgrade from a Wubi installed 10.10 so maybe that's it? Is there a way to switch it?

I know you can switch it with Ubuntu Tweak.

peakish

Flying_Phoenix said:

Agreed, I have no idea why people were really upset about it. It's a pretty arbitrary position (though I've heard that right handed people have it easier moving the mouse to the top left than the top right so that might count for something). Or well, I heard one reason besides omg-they're-changing-it!: They're stealing from Apple (since everyone sucks their dick these days)!

Silly.

aswedc said:
How do I get this to remember window sizes and positions? Firefox opens every time in full screen.
I was just about to post about this, it happens with Opera for me. I like having it not maximised.

Edit: I have it maximised vertically and I think that sets off Unity's alarm for dragging the window to the top, triggering the full screen. It doesn't start full screen when I resize it before restarting. Just a guess.

Another problem: Ubuntu switches to a South African keyboard layout all the time, even though I have removed it from the list in System Settings many times. I think I'll check if there's a bug report for that later today.

benjipwns

Banned
Flying_Phoenix said:
I'm really starting to grow fond of Unity.
It's weird I didn't like it all that much and was thinking about not upgrading for a bit. But after a few hours I didn't even think about it anymore and most likely will upgrade now.

Except for how I apparently can't launch Chrome from the launcher. Going to the menu and picking "browse the web" (since I made it default) works though. And the icon works whenever Chrome is open, just not when it's closed. Firefox and Opera work.

As an aside, running off a USB drive is pretty awesome and somewhat mind blowing, hadn't done it before. One of those things that really shouldn't amaze me since I've used portable apps long ago but yet it does. I really like how I don't lose everything like the Live CD.

Though I don't like the system beep it does on my laptop since it's loud as fuck.

Also, the narwhal desktop should have been the default.

Dilli666

I'm upgrading from 10.10 to 11.04 right now. Hope everything works well.
10.4 to 10.10 gave me a lot of issues to mess around with :(

Brettison said:
I downloaded it earlier. It works...

X3Qfk.png

Mr_Zombie

Dilli666 said:
10.4 to 10.10 gave me a lot of issues to mess around with :(
I can feel your pain :/ After upgrading from 9.04 to 10.10 so many things (ATI drivers included) stopped working for me, that I was forced to clean install Ubuntu 10.10. Thankfully Ubuntu is my secondary OS, but reinstalling everything still sucked.

Anyone tried 11.04 with ATI graphic card? I don't want to relive the horror of constant reinstalling drivers, graphic glitches or having black screen of death on start-up due to ATI drivers problems.

Flying_Phoenix said:
*ubuntu screen*
Why is everything so big?

mAcOdIn

Mr_Zombie said:
I can feel your pain :/ After upgrading from 9.04 to 10.10 so many things (ATI drivers included) stopped working for me, that I was forced to clean install Ubuntu 10.10. Thankfully Ubuntu is my secondary OS, but reinstalling everything still sucked.

Anyone tried 11.04 with ATI graphic card? I don't want to relive the horror of constant reinstalling drivers, graphic glitches or having black screen of death on start-up due to ATI drivers problems.

Why is everything so big?
I know this is not the best answer you could receive but I played with Ubuntu 10.10 a few weeks ago and installed the AMD 11.3s with absolutely no issue. None. It was the easiest Linux driver install I had ever done, and I didn't do anything exemplary like adding some PPA to Synaptic and download some pre-Ubuntu rolled version of the 1.3 driver, I just downloaded it straight from AMD's site, followed their readme, installed just as it said, rebooted and everything worked. I was pretty damn impressed. To say that I'm a Linux moron would be accurate, I did once install Gentoo almost a decade ago but it was with their giant install guide by my side and even then just playing with it once installed was hell. What moved me away from Ubuntu a few weeks ago was trying to install my Realtek drivers, that broke everything, but AMD's 11.3 driver was fantastic. So I know, that was 11.3 and not 11.4 and it was on 10.10 not 11.04 but if you play with Linux I can't see how it would be anything but smooth sailing from my past experience with the AMD drivers.

peakish

Mr_Zombie said:

I can try this today or tomorrow on a laptop running a HD3200, if that might help. Except for an ugly boot screen that never had any problems with 10.10, except being a bit slow (with the open drivers, never cared to install Catalyst on it).

Mr_Zombie

When I did clean install of 10.10 everything run smooth (but I had the ugly boot screen too); I had problems with ATI drivers when I upgraded from 9.04 to 10.10. Suddenly old drivers stopped working, and when I tried installing new ones (be it proprietary from Ubuntu repository, or the ones from ATI page) they either didn't install at all, or gave me black screen :/.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom