• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Narwhals are getting naughty or is it Natty: The Ubuntu 11.04 thread |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Gonna download Xubuntu later purely because I'm curious about XFCE 4.8 that is getting a lot of hype. Just gonna try it out as a live cd. I'll report back results later if anyone cares.

Alright 11.04, you win. This is the best Ubuntu I've used by far (though I've only used 10.04 and 10.10) and is one of my favorite operating systems only surpassed by Snow Leopard.

benjipwns

Banned
Flying_Phoenix said:
Alright 11.04, you win. This is the best Ubuntu I've used by far (though I've only used 10.04 and 10.10) and is one of my favorite operating systems only surpassed by Snow Leopard.
I was initially negative on the change, but I'm not minding it at all really. I've been "full in" since 8.04 on my laptop. (I leave my desktop Vista just because it's easier for gaming, and said laptop still has a Vista partition if it's needed for whatever reason. Mainly playing certain games.) And have used it, Fedora and even...sigh...Mandrake for a number of years prior. But Ubuntu has made some awesome strides recently.

Not to disparage others, Mint and a number of others continue to do some really great work (just played with the new Mint off USB and I probably would have switched if I didn't like Unity), but Ubuntu still stands out a bit as that "entry-level" Linux and that's important I think.

justin.au

Tried to do the dreaded system upgrade on my netbook. It hasn't worked out for me. Has broken dropbox, is crazily slow, and gnomedo really bugs out.

I'll have to do a fresh install over the weekend.

Does anybody know if there is an AMD HD6850 driver for Ubuntu yet? I've been wanting to try it for ages and every time I do, I install the driver it offers me and the screen goes black.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
justin.au said:
Tried to do the dreaded system upgrade on my netbook. It hasn't worked out for me. Has broken dropbox, is crazily slow, and gnomedo really bugs out.

I'll have to do a fresh install over the weekend.
my experience also.

it's also completely fucked with xbmc. Videos run shit, make hissing noises, screen tearing, jamming all the time. Worst release for me ever.

I tried the upgrade, broke machine. Did fresh install and finding it both slow and horrible. Downgrading to LTS release again. Should never have touched the media centre :(

peakish said:
Get either of the Desktop versions (32 or 64 bit, I don't think it matters though keep in mind that the 32 bit one is recommended). Follow instructions on the Ubuntu site to create a USB or burn it to a cd.

Before installing it (which as Mr_Zombie says is easy) I'd recommend that you try it out to make sure that network, sound and everything works correctly. You can either do this by choosing Try Ubuntu when you boot to the USB/CD, or install Ubuntu from Windows which will allow you to remove it like any other software if you're not happy. I think it's a bit slower than installing it properly, but it'll allow you to see how it works without committing a partition.

Oh, and hope you enjoy it!
Thanks

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
OK, tried to install Gnome 3 on Ubuntu 11.04. Failed horribly.

Took the opportunity to switch to Mint.

Here's the deal: Unity is not for me. Not because of it being horrible or anything (it's a lot less horrible now than it was initially), but because of my particular display configuration: I need to have a second display to the left of my main one, and this makes it hard to activate the Unity task bar. Total deal breaker, for me.

I could have used Gnome 2 on Ubuntu 11.04, but I couldn't get it to work on my second display. :(

Vagabundo

I upgraded two machines so far. Only problem I encountered was something to do with openoffice. So I uninstalled everything openoffice in synaptic and everything went smooth as butter.

Post instalation I got hit with Unity and I had not heard much about it. I found it difficult to use and was at a loss how to get to config options. And it sucks a little on a 4:3 display.

Luckily at login you can choose Ubuntu-Classic and I've done that for my Work machine. And evolution now connects properly to Exchange now (worked in 10.04, broken in 10.10).

On my home, kitchen table, laptop I dirty big old Dell clunker, I have left unity on it. As I usually use it for web browsing It works well and I'd like to get to know it better and see how the updates improve it.

I've noticed performance benefits with 11.04, much smoother on both machines, better default theme too. I'm happy. Well done Ubuntu!!..

grumpy

Gahhh, this fcuking sucks.
Apparently, kernel series 2.6.38 (used by Ubuntu 11, Fedora 15, etc) has a bug (?) which prevents certain laptop mobo chipsets from operating the screen backlight, resulting in a pitch black screen. Only way to get it to work is to force the boot loader to start the system with "NOMODESET". Problem is that "NOMODESET" loads some generic display driver which has no hardware acceleration and forces the screen to use some obscure resolutions… which means no Unity for my shitty ass Acer eMachines :(

I've tried setting up a vm on my Macbook pro, and I still can't get Unity to work. The display driver used by vmware fusion doesn't allow 3d effects under linux : /

ok, installation is finished. i really like it!

now i have some questions:
how can i access all the apps i have installed without resorting to the filtering in the UI?
what are the best apps available?
how can i make the pc to open normally on windows and, after that, what button should i press during boot up to reach the menu with the OS selection?

thanks.

moist

After playing with Unity since release i'm giving Xubuntu a go. I'm not a huge hater of Unity but currently I'm stuck with the unity bar always showing.... or showing about 1/2 the time since auto-hide is borked. Also I usually have enough crap going on that I end up feeling more hindered by Unity than I do helped by it. I do need to find an xfce skin that makes it look exactly like CDE in all it's motif glory as soon as I get home from work.

Vanillalite

moist said:
After playing with Unity since release i'm giving Xubuntu a go. I'm not a huge hater of Unity but currently I'm stuck with the unity bar always showing.... or showing about 1/2 the time since auto-hide is borked. Also I usually have enough crap going on that I end up feeling more hindered by Unity than I do helped by it. I do need to find an xfce skin that makes it look exactly like CDE in all it's motif glory as soon as I get home from work.

The default Xubuntu skin is pimp. You should keep it. The Greybird theme is awesome! Just change your wallpaper if you want. :p

itxaka

Defeatist
°°ToMmY°° said:
ok, installation is finished. i really like it!

now i have some questions:
how can i access all the apps i have installed without resorting to the filtering in the UI?
what are the best apps available?
how can i make the pc to open normally on windows and, after that, what button should i press during boot up to reach the menu with the OS selection?

thanks.

1) You can't as far as I know. After launching unity you can click on all apps and it would sho them all.

2) You have to edit /boot/grub/grub.cgf
"gksude gedit /etc/grub/grub.cfg"
and change the default=0 line to the system you want launched to default.

example

Linux 2.6.38 -Default=0
linux 2.6.38 recovery - Default=1
memtest - Default=2
windows - Default=3

So exhange the 0 to the appropiate line where windows is.

For grub to not appear you can change the delay=X variable. I would recommend using delay=5 just in case so you have 5 seconds to touch a key just in case you need it.

Sorry if confusing, im high as fuck.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
i am still on the wall about installing ubuntu. every time i do, i always regret it. and the only way to install it is to split my harddrive into to 2 partitions.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
I'm liking Unity, but the the random bugs are making me try out Xubuntu. The Unity taskbar sometimes doesn't hide when i full screen programs and it is random when it does auto hide or doesn't, but when everything is working i really like it.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
There is an app to easily change your default grub boot device, search the software center for grub.

peakish

Complex Shadow said:
i am still on the wall about installing ubuntu. every time i do, i always regret it. and the only way to install it is to split my harddrive into to 2 partitions.
Install it in Windows like any other software, if you regret it later you can just remove it without having to fix partitions and stuff :)

I think I'm screwed but if anybody could help I'd be really grateful.

I had to reset my iPhone 3GS and now it wants me to plug it in to iTunes to set it up again. The only problem is that I'm exclusively on Ubuntu, and don't have iTunes. Is there any way to set it up on Ubuntu without installing Windows again.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
peakish said:
Install it in Windows like any other software, if you regret it later you can just remove it without having to fix partitions and stuff :)
I just did on 30 gb. But know I can't accses my windows folders. So now I see no point in using it if I can't accsess the files that are stored in windows =(

Made the switch to 11.04 Xubuntu.. Ubuntu w/ Unity was just too slow on my netbook (I know you can have classic Ubuntu but I actually do like Unity, just too sluggish).

Is there somewhere else I can go to get more themes for Xubuntu? I want a darker one similar to the default Ubuntu theme.

benjipwns

Banned
Complex Shadow said:
I just did on 30 gb. But know I can't accses my windows folders. So now I see no point in using it if I can't accsess the files that are stored in windows =(
Open up the file system and look in the Host folder.

Threi

notag
Messed around with Unity some more....yeah this UI needed a bit more time in the oven. I'm coming around to the general design concept of it, but the implementation is just SO sloppy. One example is xchat randomly not being recognized as open in the dock (and thus you not being able to switch to it)

Appearance-wise it also could be better, but compizconfig helps a bit.

hitsugi

Threi said:
Messed around with Unity some more....yeah this UI needed a bit more time in the oven. I'm coming around to the general design concept of it, but the implementation is just SO sloppy. One example is xchat randomly not being recognized as open in the dock (and thus you not being able to switch to it)

Appearance-wise it also could be better, but compizconfig helps a bit.

another example is the fact that you can't move the placement of the menu bar...

I'm trying to install 11.04, but I'm having a weird issue. Hoping someone here can help me!

My Live CD boots fine on my main PC, but whenever I try to boot off of it to install onto my laptop, I get a corrupted screen.

It'll start loading:

LWpKE.jpg

And then when (I assume) it reaches the desktop, this is the result:

Laptop = HP Pavillion DV2000

Anyone have any suggestions for a Linux noob that wants to learn?

benjipwns

Banned
Could be an issue related to your drive or the CD, can you do the USB drive boot method?

Re-burning the disc at a lower speed could be something to try as well.

itxaka

Defeatist
prelude514 said:
I'm trying to install 11.04, but I'm having a weird issue. Hoping someone here can help me!

My Live CD boots fine on my main PC, but whenever I try to boot off of it to install onto my laptop, I get a corrupted screen.

It'll start loading:

[MG]http://i.imgur.com/LWpKE.jpg[/IMG]

And then when (I assume) it reaches the desktop, this is the result:

[IG]http://i.imgur.com/q1Mbf.jpg[/IMG]

Laptop = HP Pavillion DV2000

Anyone have any suggestions for a Linux noob that wants to learn?

Press F4 when on the menu selection, select safe video. Check if it works that way.

Vagabundo

Tap the caps lock once or twice to see if it is a hard freeze (if the caps lock lights don't change then keyboard and probably mouse are locked up). You can try the safe mode boot from the boot loader.

Try Ctrl-Alt-F1, Ctrl-Alt-F2, Ctrl-Alt-F3, Ctrl-Alt-F4, Ctrl-Alt-F5 or Ctrl-Alt-F6 to access the consoles. and see if you can login that way.

Diablos

I just installed Ubuntu 11.04 (64-bit) on a separate partition. After everything was finally installed... all my computer does is boot Windows 7. I'm assuming there is a problem with the bootloader and was wondering what the most easiest way to fix this is. It's kind of frustrating knowing Ubuntu is sitting on my hard drive unable to be used because of this.

Mistake

Oh I just got Ubuntu 11.04 on my Netbook. My friend suggested linux for playing anime since I have problems on windows. So far I'm really liking it, and the video playback has been smoother.

Now what is the difference between those versions of linux? Just the interface and a few other things? I have to admit that Kubuntu looks pretty nice, but I'm not going to take out ubuntu for it since I just put it on. I get to watch anime again, so I'm pretty happy anyway

Vanillalite

Interface and then some backend stuff to run the interface and as well as default programs. KDE has different default apps for instance, but everything is in the software center of course!

clav

When 11.10 rolls around, is it suggested to do a clean install or can we just do an upgrade?

Is anyone on GAF running a linux build that hasn't been clean-installed for years and just used the upgrade route for each iteration?

Hey guys, I don't know anything about linux or computers in general, so please bear with me. But anyway, I just got this version of Ubuntu installed as a virtual machine on my windows 7. So well, I was reading the OP and I came across this:
Also it's worth noting Ubuntu like both OSX and Win 7 allows you to drag programs to the top to maximize or to the left or right side to make them take up half of your screen. Sure it's not new now for most people (unless you only ever use say XP), but it's nice feature none the less.
However, I can't get this to work by default. Is there anything I have to do to enable it or something?

99hertz

claviertekky said:
When 11.10 rolls around, is it suggested to do a clean install or can we just do an upgrade?

Is anyone on GAF running a linux build that hasn't been clean-installed for years and just used the upgrade route for each iteration?

I updated from 10.10 to 11.04, didn't had to clean-install.

Trouble

Banned
God, Unity is such shit. I love having apps that minimize to notification icons completely dissappear. You can sorta hack them into the whitelist for the menu bar, but it seems to just not work for some, or drop their notification icon outside the bar for others. I feel like I shouldn't turn off Unity because it's the default now and therefore the future, but it's just too shitty to keep using.

I feel like this is the worst release in a long time. I've seen zero benefit from upgrading from 10.10.

clav

Trouble said:
God, Unity is such shit. I love having apps that minimize to notification icons completely dissappear. You can sorta hack them into the whitelist for the menu bar, but it seems to just not work for some, or drop their notification icon outside the bar for others. I feel like I shouldn't turn off Unity because it's the default now and therefore the future, but it's just too shitty to keep using.

I feel like this is the worst release in a long time. I've seen zero benefit from upgrading from 10.10.
You can turn off Unity by going back to Ubuntu Classic.

http://scottlinux.com/2011/03/05/ubuntu-11-04-change-from-unity-to-classic-gnome/

thcsquad

Diablos said:
So I guess no one knows how I can fix the bootloader? :|

The Ubuntu forums would be better for honest-to-goodness troubleshooting. Linux-GAF isn't that big, and having a thousand people look at your problem is going to yield much better results then ten people.

Vanillalite

thcsquad said:
The Ubuntu forums would be better for honest-to-goodness troubleshooting. Linux-GAF isn't that big, and having a thousand people look at your problem is going to yield much better results then ten people.

Actually Linux-GAF has fixed this problem before, but my Ubuntu thread isn't usually where Nix GAF hangs.

Actually I get a ton of random posters here that never ever post with nix gaf in our home thread.

Glad I found this. Can't wait for the update. This thing is looking better and better. Only thing I need now is steam for linux and I'm golden.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom