• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Narwhals are getting naughty or is it Natty: The Ubuntu 11.04 thread |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Flying_Phoenix said:
^^^ Why wasn't this part of Unity in the first place?

Unique folder management when searching for apps and files. The button on the bottom right.

And true none of this stuff is technically new, its just how its presented. But in reality you can say that for 99% of computer updates and features, including the dock.

A lot of this shit is coming, but they just wanted to make sure Unity was up and running 1st. I'm telling you alot of the little things are all gonna end up in 11.10 and consequently people are gonna actually really like that release. Like you know Ocelots are well fucking cool! :p

peakish

The mood in this thread is sooo different from the Ubuntu Forums right now. There's so many Unity hate threads over there right now it seriously depresses me.

Honestly, I'm having trouble seeing what people find bad about it (having read 10 threads or so most complaints are really vague which doesn't help). But okay, sure, you don't like it. That's no excuse for the absolute vitriol that's dominating threads right now (along with the usual Ubuntu is doomed (this time for certain!) talk).

Real good way for a community to look mature and inviting for newbies.

(Edit: BTW, a month ago I stumbled over a website encouraging users to always respect each other, volunteers and developers when discussing open source projects. Does anyone know which one I'm talking about? It had some columns on this stuff by developers and others and seems more relevant than ever with the recent Gnome Shell and now Unity controversy.)

Sorry, I had to get that off my chest. Now, a question: I want to report a bug (that a South African keyboard layout keeps getting readded to the list of selected ones when rebooting), but I'm honestly a bit afraid to put it on the Ubuntu devs and then them saying that it's an upstream issue or something. I've never reported a bug before and I assume that it shouldn't be a problem but I still can't shake the feeling, I need some moral support from someone who's reported stuff before (I'm a wuss).

Any additional tips on what to include? I'm following the steps on the Ubuntu Wiki right now.

itxaka

Defeatist
Flying_Phoenix said:
^^^ Why wasn't this part of Unity in the first place?

Unique folder management when searching for apps and files. The button on the bottom right.

And true none of this stuff is technically new, its just how its presented. But in reality you can say that for 99% of computer updates and features, including the dock.

Aahhh ok, Ig et what you mean. Gnome-do basically :p And IIRC mint-menu had it as well. Best feature of the whole system, as long as you now the name of the apps. No more gnome-do :D

Windows key + ter + intro = terminal in one second

he mood in this thread is sooo different from the Ubuntu Forums right now. There's so many Unity hate threads over there right now it seriously depresses me.

Honestly, I'm having trouble seeing what people find bad about it (having read 10 threads or so most complaints are really vague which doesn't help). But okay, sure, you don't like it. That's no excuse for the absolute vitriol that's dominating threads right now (along with the usual Ubuntu is doomed (this time for certain!) talk).

(Edit: BTW, a month ago I stumbled over a website encouraging users to always respect each other, volunteers and developers when discussing open source projects. Does anyone know which one I'm talking about? It had some columns on this stuff by developers and others and seems more relevant than ever with the recent Gnome Shell and now Unity controversy.)

Sorry, I had to get that off my chest. Now, a question: I want to report a bug (that a South African keyboard layout keeps getting readded to the list of selected ones when rebooting), but I'm honestly a bit afraid to put it on the Ubuntu devs and then them saying that it's an upstream issue or something. I've never reported a bug before and I assume that it shouldn't be a problem but I still can't shake the feeling, I need some moral support from someone who's reported stuff before (I'm a wuss).

Any additional tips on what to include? I'm following the steps on the Ubuntu Wiki right now.

Well, that is what you get when your system starts to get mainstream. It attracts a lot of stupid people.

Also it's not like we unix guys were nice to new people from the start. Its coded on a unix user dna to be an ass. Always. :D

Regarding the bug reporting, don't be afraid. They will close it if necessary and they will ask you for more information if needed.

Basic things are using apport-gtk nameofthepackage so it collects the info on the package and explaining clearly the problem.

You can also try to fix it by yourself reconfiguring the keyboard:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration

What is the conf on /etc/default/keyboard?

Seems that lot of people are reporting keyboard issues in the installer and after installing. Your bug sounds like this one: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/console-setup/+bug/738336

peakish

itxaka said:
Aahhh ok, Ig et what you mean. Gnome-do basically :p And IIRC mint-menu had it as well. Best feature of the whole system, as long as you now the name of the apps. No more gnome-do :D

Windows key + ter + intro = terminal in one second
Launching software by searching is one of the best evolutions of modern desktop environments. sogood.gif

Specifically for the terminal, you're aware of ctrl-alt-t right? :p

itxaka said:
Regarding the bug reporting, don't be afraid. They will close it if necessary and they will ask you for more information if needed.

Basic things are using apport-gtk nameofthepackage so it collects the info on the package and explaining clearly the problem.

You can also try to fix it by yourself reconfiguring the keyboard:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration

What is the conf on /etc/default/keyboard?

Seems that lot of people are reporting keyboard issues in the installer and after installing. Your bug sounds like this one: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/console-setup/+bug/738336
Heh, now I already submitted the bug report. I did look through the list of open bugs on Natty and guess I missed that one. Oh well :p

Edit: Lol, now I see more similar bugs as well of course. Fuck me.

mAcOdIn

I don't like Unity myself, that said, I haven't fooled around much but there's a thread on how to get the old GUI back on the main forums so I don't see what the big deal is.

itxaka

Defeatist
peakish said:
Launching software by searching is one of the best evolutions of modern desktop environments. sogood.gif

Specifically for the terminal, you're aware of ctrl-alt-t right? :p

Heh, now I already submitted the bug report. I did look through the list of open bugs on Natty and guess I missed that one. Oh well :p

Edit: Lol, now I see more similar bugs as well of course. Fuck me.

control+alt+t is way too difficult for me. I am unable to press them easily. Children hands. :(

You can always mark the bug as duplicated :D

I don't like Unity myself, that said, I haven't fooled around much but there's a thread on how to get the old GUI back on the main forums so I don't see what the big deal is.

I think that for one, indicators don't work in fallback mode as they have been changed to confirm to unity.

Alos, people don't like change and love to complain, myself included!

peakish

mAcOdIn said:
The classic desktop won't be available in 11.10 so for those who don't like Unity it's a big deal. Then again if Canonical had gone with Gnome 3 + Shell instead of branching out with Unity I think that would've been even more controversial. Of course they could have gone with the Fallback mode as a standard I guess?

itxaka said:
control+alt+t is way too difficult for me. I am unable to press them easily. Children hands. :(

You can always mark the bug as duplicated :D
Right, added it as duplicate so feeling a bit less embarrassed right now :)

mAcOdIn

itxaka said:
I think that for one, indicators don't work in fallback mode as they have been changed to confirm to unity.
Didn't know that, that is a big deal.
peakish said:
The classic desktop won't be available in 11.10 so for those who don't like Unity it's a big deal. Then again if Canonical had gone with Gnome 3 + Shell instead of branching out with Unity I think that would've been even more controversial. Of course they could have gone with the Fallback mode as a standard I guess?
Didn't know they were killing it in 11.10. Hmm, I really dislike Unity, I've been giving it a couple of days but since I'm primarily a mouse user it really adds a step to launching a lot of stuff and switching between apps is a little more involved, I don't like using the keyboard just to navigate.

Schlep

Regarding the Ubuntu forums, there's a dock on the left and system settings have been put into a control panel. Outside of that, there's not much different and I'm sure they'll add even more customization in 11.10 and bug squashing before then. Some people are such babies.

I upgraded my laptop yesterday and I like 11.04 so far. Unity takes a bit to get used to, but that was to be expected. I'm not sure if I'll keep it, but there is some neat stuff in there. What I don't like is the lack of configuration options. I don't need the "stuff I can install" list when I want to open an application for example.

peakish

mAcOdIn said:
Didn't know they were killing it in 11.10. Hmm, I really dislike Unity, I've been giving it a couple of days but since I'm primarily a mouse user it really adds a step to launching a lot of stuff and switching between apps is a little more involved, I don't like using the keyboard just to navigate.
This is something I don't really understand, switching between apps is still just pressing an icon as before, right? Except if multiple instances are open, then there's an extra click (in the center of the screen even, so some extra mouse travel as well) to select which.

Launching stuff that's not in the dash using only the mouse is a pain though and I think they need to redesign the main menu a bit to make that easier.

itxaka

Defeatist
close to the edge said:
I upgraded my laptop yesterday and I like 11.04 so far. Unity takes a bit to get used to, but that was to be expected. I'm not sure if I'll keep it, but there is some neat stuff in there. What I don't like is the lack of configuration options. I don't need the "stuff I can install" list when I want to open an application for example.

That and the fullscreen apps which no app uses. The desktop is empty so apps should use the whole screen by default unless there is another instance running.

Same with the launcher. You open it and it takes only a quarter of the screen. Why? Doesn't really matter if you expand it because:
1) It won't remember it
2) it won't show more than 8 icons

But I guess this is just because it was too premature. 11.04 is where it's gonna be nice. Then it will be fucked again on 11.10 with the move to gnome 3 :p

This is something I don't really understand, switching between apps is still just pressing an icon as before, right? Except if multiple instances are open, then there's an extra click (in the center of the screen even, so some extra mouse travel as well) to select which.

Launching stuff that's not in the dash using only the mouse is a pain though and I think they need to redesign the main menu a bit to make that easier.

If you have multiple instances of a program a single click on the icon should "exposé" all of them. It actually just shows the last instance used. You have to click 2 times for it to display them all, then change to the correct one.

Still, I don't know why would someone not use alt+tab to change windows.

itxaka

Defeatist
colinisation said:
Could someone do me a favour and post the contents of

I appear to have FUBARed mine and can't find any replacements.

Thanks.

You should have the default one which is copied to any new user on the system on /etc/skel

It's hidden so a "ls -a" should show it.

peakish

itxaka said:
If you have multiple instances of a program a single click on the icon should "exposé" all of them. It actually just shows the last instance used. You have to click 2 times for it to display them all, then change to the correct one.
For me it actually exposes all instances on the first click. Bug?

Polari

peakish said:
The mood in this thread is sooo different from the Ubuntu Forums right now. There's so many Unity hate threads over there right now it seriously depresses me.

My main issues with Unity are that in my experience it's buggy, slow and has some questionable decisions where usability is concerned (mainly relating to the implementation of the global menu bar and how it deals with maximised windows). I don't think it's fundamentally flawed, but the decision to ship what at best seems beta quality software seems bizarre.

The reason for the vitriol, is that I think users are seeing it as the latest in a long line of arrogant decisions by the Ubuntu developers that are counter-productive to not only their userbase but the FOSS community as a whole. I don't really understand why Unity couldn't have been developed within GNOME shell rather than as a whole new project. Surely it would have been more beneficial to everyone to simply take GNOME shell, make the dock operate in the same fashion as Unity's, and make the Activities overlay operate as Unity does. Instead we're left with a major fork that could have been avoided if Canonical had been more pragmatic in their approach.

panda21

Polari said:
My main issues with Unity are that in my experience it's buggy, slow and has some questionable decisions where usability is concerned (mainly relating to the implementation of the global menu bar and how it deals with maximised windows). I don't think it's fundamentally flawed, but the decision to ship what at best seems beta quality software seems bizarre.

The reason for the vitriol, is that I think users are seeing it as the latest in a long line of arrogant decisions by the Ubuntu developers that are counter-productive to not only their userbase but the FOSS community as a whole. I don't really understand why Unity couldn't have been developed within GNOME shell rather than as a whole new project. Surely it would have been more beneficial to everyone to simply take GNOME shell, make the dock operate in the same fashion as Unity's, and make the Activities overlay operate as Unity does. Instead we're left with a major fork that could have been avoided if Canonical had been more pragmatic in their approach.

yeah ubuntu is starting to leave a bad taste in my mouth with some of the decisions Canonical have been making. if there was anything else that was similarly painless to install i'd switch, but i cant really be bothered with putting another distro on my home machine

itxaka

Defeatist
peakish said:
For me it actually exposes all instances on the first click. Bug?

fuuuuuu

So for example, you have two full screens terminals open, one behind the other, you open chrome full screen and you click on the terminal button it does the "expose" thing?

I reinstalled several times a fresh system since alpha 1 so I can't remember the last installation I did.

peakish

Polari said:

Bugs and speed are definitely problems (luckily I've been spared, it ran a bit poorly at first but sorta fixed itself or something). But once bugs are fixed, is the Unity concept horrible? I think it offers a lot of advantages over the standard Gnome 2 environment used in previous releases and looks pretty good at the same time.

I'm thinking that one reason for them to develop Unity seperately is to give them more control over their desktop experience. Why is it a huge deal that they do that on their own instead of modifying the Shell? I don't follow Linux politics that much so there's obviously a lot of stuff I'm missing here. But I really don't think that's the reason behind the forum outrage since I don't remember seeing it mentioned in any of the threads I've checked. There might have been some posts like that but surely not the majority?

itxaka said:
fuuuuuu

So for example, you have two full screens terminals open, one behind the other, you open chrome full screen and you click on the terminal button it does the "expose" thing?

I reinstalled several times a fresh system since alpha 1 so I can't remember the last installation I did.
Ah, no apparently it only exposes if one of the instances are selected already. My bad.

Vanillalite

I guess it's just hard for me to understand certain things because outside of the Alpha which constantly crashed on me ever since the beta unity hasn't been buggy for me. Plus it's decently speedy on my dual core desktop with a 4XXX series Ati card. I totally get the fact that it has some odd design choices for certain things, and that people wouldn't like that though. Even though I like Unity I'm not 100% sold, and there are a few editions I'd like to see. I holy expect 11.10 to be better though.

As for the Ubuntu forums... this is just par for the course for Linux people and one of if not THE reason Linux can be a huge turn off to me. The GNU/Linux crowd are just horrific to deal with in general. Honestly I wouldn't be near as into Linux as I am now if it wasn't for the fact that the last few major distro releases for things like Ubuntu, Fedora, Mint etc... were solid so I didn't have to deal with the Linux community. Dealing with them makes me want to just go back to Windows 7 a lot of the time.

The other thing being the GAF Linux thread. People have strong opinions in there too, but it's light years different from going to nix sites and reading comments or going to IRC channels or forums. Plus the anal super hardcore everything's gotta be FOSS crowd just makes me want to scream. LOL

PS: Has anyone in this thread tried anything other than Stock Ubuntu yet? Anyone checked out K or X yet?

Vanillalite

itxaka said:
fuuuuuu

Have you tried shift + alt + up or Super + S?

itxaka

Defeatist
Brettison said:
I guess it's just hard for me to understand certain things because outside of the Alpha which constantly crashed on me ever since the beta unity hasn't been buggy for me. Plus it's decently speedy on my dual core desktop with a 4XXX series Ati card. I totally get the fact that it has some odd design choices for certain things, and that people wouldn't like that though. Even though I like Unity I'm not 100% sold, and there are a few editions I'd like to see. I holy expect 11.10 to be better though.

As for the Ubuntu forums... this is just par for the course for Linux people and one of if not THE reason Linux can be a huge turn off to me. The GNU/Linux crowd are just horrific to deal with in general. Honestly I wouldn't be near as into Linux as I am now if it wasn't for the fact that the last few major distro releases for things like Ubuntu, Fedora, Mint etc... were solid so I didn't have to deal with the Linux community. Dealing with them makes me want to just go back to Windows 7 a lot of the time.

The other thing being the GAF Linux thread. People have strong opinions in there too, but it's light years different from going to nix sites and reading comments or going to IRC channels or forums. Plus the anal super hardcore everything's gotta be FOSS crowd just makes me want to scream. LOL

PS: Has anyone in this thread tried anything other than Stock Ubuntu yet? Anyone checked out K or X yet?

Problem is, except in MacOs (No idea, I just never visited MacOs forums or threads) there is the same kind of guys in windows. Whatever you go, you'll always find a bunch of loud idiots.

Linux guys have always been the worst ones regarding it. In 96 I was greeted with RTFM almost the whole time for questions regarding convoluted programs. And manpages weren't THAT good.

And totally agree with the FOSS guys. They are fucking unbearable. I understand that if no one presses for things to be open and we settle with whatever we got, privative or not, there would be never be free alternatives and better products but some of them don't understand that FOSS also defends the freedom to CHOOSE, so they are basically contradicting themselves.

Pro-tip: install the vrms package in ubuntu to know the non-free packages in your system. vrms stands for Virtual Richard M. Stallman.

Have you tried shift + alt + up or Super + S?

Shift+alt+up is too far for me, don't like leaving the mouse but Super + S sounds perfect for me! Thanks!

Phoenix

I'm a big fan of Ubuntu and wish that Google would have just picked these guys up and turned it into a more commercially viable distro as their OS as opposed to Chrome OS.

peakish said:
Maybe you're thinking of OpenRespect, started by Jono Bacon?

Anyway, sad to hear those things about the UbuntuForums. I always loved that website for the amazing amounts of information and helpful people, but I stopped visiting the non-support sections a long time ago. Just the same old discussions over and over again, and quite frankly most people posting in those threads had no idea what they were talking about in the first place.

Vanillalite

Phoenix said:
I'm a big fan of Ubuntu and wish that Google would have just picked these guys up and turned it into a more commercially viable distro as their OS as opposed to Chrome OS.

Chrome OS requires a lot less effort than grabbing Ubuntu would have though. I understand your sentiments, and Google does like Ubuntu since they have their own modified spin called Gubuntu that they use in their offices. Both Canonical and Google have stated they have a close working relationship too.

Threi

notag
Phoenix said:
I had been saying this since the rumours of Google making their OS. Similar to mint, just aid in development, and release a google-branded variation of ubuntu. It would benefit Ubuntu development (devs would take the OS seriously and driver support would get better) and Google wouldn't have to bother with making a new OS from scratch.

But oh well.

Mr_Zombie

So I finally switched to Ubuntu 11.04 and the Unity is starting to grow on me.

However, I would still rather have the bar on the bottom, because right now using it feels weird. Also, when several instances of a program is opened, clicking on (or at least hovering over) the icon should always show previews of all of them instead of switching to the one opened last; right now it's anti-intuitive and very often it's quicker to just alt-tab between apps instead of using icons.

And I hate that notification area is so limited right now: several apps can't use it (like Thunderbird) and you can't easily right-click and add new applets. :/

Other than that, I like it ;)

Vanillalite

itxaka said:
Have you tried this?

gconftool-2 --type string -s /desktop/gnome/url-handlers/http/command "chromium-browser %s"

I reported a bug during alpha as apport-gtk used gnome-open instead of x-www-browser and that was the fix for it.

Trying your fix ixaka, but I'm confused on what to do. I know gconf is a system for user preferences, but where do I find it and how can I edit it? I assume I'd do this via the terminal, but I'm kind of confused. Program is already installed too btw. :p

Massa

Brettison said:
Trying your fix ixaka, but I'm confused on what to do. I know gconf is a system for user preferences, but where do I find it and how can I edit it? I assume I'd do this via the terminal, but I'm kind of confused. Program is already installed too btw. :p

You can use gconf-editor to edit the database, or gconftool-2 from the command line.

Vanillalite

Interesting to note btw Unity has failed me in this task. Alt + F2 and gconf-editor works BUT if you click the ubuntu symbol and search for it OR try and type it in in apps or files & folders and you get NOTHING.

Massa said:
You can use gconf-editor to edit the database, or gconftool-2 from the command line.

Is there a specific spot to put this string in though?

BDGAME

Is it possible make Unity look like this:

ubuntu1104beta2.jpg

If not, How I can remove the Unity from my ubuntu?

T1tan

Neo Member
Slightly related to the post above, but if I wanted to run say the KDE workspace ontop of Ubuntu then do I need to download Kubuntu or can I, after trialling Unity, install the KDE Plasma desktop workspace ontop of Ubuntu?

Vanillalite

T1tan said:
Slightly related to the post above, but if I wanted to run say the KDE workspace ontop of Ubuntu then do I need to download Kubuntu or can I, after trialling Unity, install the KDE Plasma desktop workspace ontop of Ubuntu?

You can install the KDE packages and have both. You just select which desktop you want from the log on menu. If you aren't gonna use unity though I'd just install Kubuntu.

itxaka

Defeatist
Brettison said:

ç

Yeah this, Its the command line side of gconf-editor (or reversed).

Sorry I love the terminal way too much :D.

Basically you change the gnome-open default to chromium easy as that. Gconf is easier for this but takes more steps :D

itxaka

Defeatist
BDGAME said:
Is it possible make Unity look like this:

ubuntu1104beta2.jpg

If not, How I can remove the Unity from my ubuntu?

I don't think you can remove unity entiretly without breakeing the whole system. Dependencies on any other distro bu Arch are fucked up.

An sorry but no. Ubuntu network remix is no longer supported so you shoul stay int 10.10 if you want it. Sucks but oh well.

EDIT: Holy shit, Im sorry for the double post. worst par is it was made by me because i forgot that I have already posted. Sorry guys.

T1tan

Neo Member
Brettison said:
You can install the KDE packages and have both. You just select which desktop you want from the log on menu. If you aren't gonna use unity though I'd just install Kubuntu.

Thanks. I've played around with KDE on SuSE in the past. Will give Unity a fair shake, though.

Damn, my skype tray icon is gone from the notification area. :/ And my put to arbitrary workspace commands are not working! ARGH! Why the hell did I upgrade.

panda21

Brettison said:

do you know if this gives you the same setup as you would have if you installed kubuntu?

like the old ubuntu gnome desktop wasn't a basic gnome install, it was heavily customised.

i'd kind of like to try xubuntu but I dont want to reinstall, but i don't know if you can just install xfce in ubuntu and get the xubuntu config

Anyone know of any tweaks for a netbook? I like the Unity stuff. But it runs kinda slowly and the Unity dock doesn't fit all the way on my screen so I have to scroll down.

Vanillalite

peppermints said:
Anyone know of any tweaks for a netbook? I like the Unity stuff. But it runs kinda slowly and the Unity dock doesn't fit all the way on my screen so I have to scroll down.

It's not the tweaks you are gonna want, but IDK I'd look at an alternative distro at this point for a netbook. Either that or run something with a lighter window manager for your comp specs. Xubuntu with XFCE 4.8 might be teh hotness to try out. I'd download a throw the .iso on a usb stick to check it out at least.

Installed it on my Cr-48 and I'm liking it so far. The only annoying things are I need to map my keyboard (I'd love the search button to bring up a new tab in chrome, though it does bring up the search through the new unity bar, and all my function keys are borked.

Also the trackpad is really wonky. Selecting text is completely broken and I can't get two finger scrolling working right now.

itxaka

Defeatist
Melhisedek said:
Is there Itunes for ubuntu? Can you manage your songs and apps somehow?
p.s. Have an Iphone 3Gs

Not iTunes but you can use media players including the default Banshee.

Works more or less just as good.

ok, guys, i'd like to install ubuntu on a vaio e-series notebook. i'm a total noob when it comes to linux. which version should i get, is there a guide to install ubuntu as a partition on my notebook?

Mr_Zombie

Ubuntu (especially 11.04) is a noob-friendly linux ;) The installation process is really simple; during the installation you will be asked whether you want to overwrite your current system or make a new partition. Installing recent versions of Ubuntu is even easier than installing Windows.

peakish

°°ToMmY°° said:
ok, guys, i'd like to install ubuntu on a vaio e-series notebook. i'm a total noob when it comes to linux. which version should i get, is there a guide to install ubuntu as a partition on my notebook?
Get either of the Desktop versions (32 or 64 bit, I don't think it matters though keep in mind that the 32 bit one is recommended). Follow instructions on the Ubuntu site to create a USB or burn it to a cd.

Before installing it (which as Mr_Zombie says is easy) I'd recommend that you try it out to make sure that network, sound and everything works correctly. You can either do this by choosing Try Ubuntu when you boot to the USB/CD, or install Ubuntu from Windows which will allow you to remove it like any other software if you're not happy. I think it's a bit slower than installing it properly, but it'll allow you to see how it works without committing a partition.

Oh, and hope you enjoy it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom