• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New and Improved Cricket Thread© - Now Roadblock Free!

artist

Banned
Warne was a fucking beauty tonight, worth his weight in gold. :D Good innings by Watson, practically held the innings together. Now imagine Graeme Smith, Younis Khan & Mascarenhas and Rajasthan is definitely among the top bracket.

I'd love to see Punjab sink like a rock, even though they have some of my fav players. FYI, Preity Zinta has no way of coming up with as much $$$ to own a team, she's leeching it all from her multi-millionaire boyfriend.

I think there is some sort of DLF award or something tied to the sixes, thats why its mentioned almost every time a six is belt.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Wouldnt mind watching some more but its on at such a retarded time its just not worth it, Channel Ten talked up how they would have every match and all but yeah way to late.

master15

irfan said:
Warne was a fucking beauty tonight, worth his weight in gold. :D Good innings by Watson, practically held the innings together. Now imagine Graeme Smith, Younis Khan & Mascarenhas and Rajasthan is definitely among the top bracket.

Yup Warne definitely changed the course of the game for the Royals and it could have been a lot worse for the Kings, if they actually had held onto their catches. The catching in general through the tournement has been pretty ordinary.

As much as I dislike Watson, after tonights performance I've got to respect the man's hitting power. Loved the first 6 off hope which still went the distance despite his bat breaking :lol
And young Jadeja made a nice little cameo to get them over the line.

Also at least we know Sresanth is an arrogant and cocky bugger even when it comes to facing his own countrymen. Glad to see another game he got punished.

And whats up with the dodgy tash Youvraj was sporting? :/

FYI, Preity Zinta has no way of coming up with as much $$$ to own a team, she's leeching it all from her multi-millionaire boyfriend.

Well she's part owner isn't she. She doesn't outright own the team but a few stars put up like something like 72 million together, or thats what I read.

master15

Am I the only one watching the IPL?

On paper there are some really mouth watering match ups but from the tournement so far all the 'big guns' have largely fizzled.

Deccan Chargers are being contained and the likes of Gilly, Symonds and Afridi all went back to the sheds without troubling the scoreboard. McGrath was his typical measly self but I thought Asif in particular bowled really nicely.

At this rate I doubt if they will get much over 120...

edit: Well some late, lusty shots by Sharma put them over the line to a somewhat better score. He spanked Mahroof in one over for 26 :D

artist

Banned
Hyderabad is way overhyped and they've got shitty bowlers to boot. I wouldnt bank on them. :D

Delhi is starting to look like a real good team. Pigeon is still the king of fast bowlers and when he is accompanied with Asif, its one hell of a combo. Add to that a very athletic and young side and they save quite some runs in the fielding dept. Their batting doesnt have as much depth but when you restrict the opposition to low scores they might not feel the pinch.

master15

irfan said:
Hyderabad is way overhyped and they've got shitty bowlers to boot. I wouldnt bank on them. :D

Yeah if there was any team woefully unbalanced when it comes to their battling and respective bowling strengths, it has to be Hyderbad.

Sehwag tore them a new one, particulary a certain over from Symonds :lol Two games in two days and on paper what should have been easy victories turned to losses for favoured teams.

Side note apart from having the camera zoom into the cheerleaders tits every 5 seconds could we do away with the chanting announcer? Uck...

tri_willy

master15 said:
Side note apart from having the camera zoom into the cheerleaders tits every 5 seconds could we do away with the chanting announcer? Uck...

haha i took note of the cheerleaders. damn horny camera men :lol :lol :lol

Pachael

I do think that Hyperabad's batting lineup is not all that swish considering the dosh that was spent - so unless their batting does better they'll be toast.

That said, I think the past few games have shown that bowling is still very important despite all the hype for 'big hitting', since every ball counts and a dot ball for a bowler is a very good result. A maiden even better.

master15

tri_willy said:
haha i took note of the cheerleaders. damn horny camera men :lol :lol :lol

Not just one set of cheerleaders either, I think there's at least two or three groups of them, which distracted some of the commentators.

What I find most distracting is the 'ground level' cameras they have and their constant desire to spin and twirl the camera as much as possible providing a pretty nauseating viewing experience.

Never mind the Indian crowds who always look high on crack or something. One of the first things I will definitely have to do is catch a cricket game when I get to India (Got to love how they 'segment' the crowd too).

master15

Hayden looked really, really good. It's amazing he's still churning the runs out the way he does, and man I've never quite seen anyone as accurate with reverse sweeps or paddles who consistently finds the ropes with the shot the way he does.

As the commentators said very silly Harby not bolwing himself out as he was the only guy who seemed somewhat to contain arugably probably strongest battling line-up. Got a pretty stiff run-chase.

Also no Tendulkar :(

artist

Banned
Hah Murali was scared shitless for a minute there .. he also had to abandon the delivery half way into his runup .. twice. :lol

Chennai is a strong team, solid batting and good fielders. Its their bowling that hasnt impressed me yet. I mean Mumbai (despite being weak) almost pulled the run chase off.

Tomorrow's game got to be good. Warne's team vs Hyderabad. Hyderabad has something (rolleyes) to prove and Warne's already solid team is getting more firepower (Smith, Younis, Mascarenhas). :D I bet they'll drop Lehmann first. :p

master15

I went straight to bed at it finished like almost at 7 am local time here since they were so bloody slow with the first innings. Wow what a tight game, really solid chase and I thought they had it almost there until they mucked up near the end.

Like you said Ifran tonights game should hopefully be good. You know Lehman did not half bad when you consider the man officially retired from first class cricket and probably for a few months has been just sitting on his couch (Although clearly couldn't handle the pace of Lee). Mascarenhas should be a good addition, I saw him live recently in Auckland when he tore Patel a new arsehole in the 20-20 game here.

master15

Just as I thought the chargers were in for another battling collapse, Symonds stepped up to the plate and hit the fa:D stest 100 so far in the IPL :D 3 centuries thus far 2 coming from Aussies, 1 from a Kiwi ;)

Patel was bowling all sorts of shit and was rightly dispatched. Unfortuntely for Warne even though I thought he bowled really well, the way Symonds was batting he was giving everyone a seeing too.

Tough chase ahead...also why is Mascarenhas not playing? Or even Gibbs for the chargers?

tri_willy

master15 said:
Just as I thought the chargers were in for another battling collapse, Symonds stepped up to the plate and hit the fa:D stest 100 so far in the IPL :D 3 centuries thus far 2 coming from Aussies, 1 from a Kiwi ;)

Patel was bowling all sorts of shit and was rightly dispatched. Unfortuntely for Warne even though I thought he bowled really well, the way Symonds was batting he was giving everyone a seeing too.

Tough chase ahead...also why is Mascarenhas not playing? Or even Gibbs for the chargers?

only 4 international players allowed per team... possible that gibbs would be symo's replacement once they tour the west indies, while mascarenhas is an all rounder like watson.

master15

WHAT a game! Warne you legend :lol

Sadly Symo was on the recieving end :(

tri_willy said:
only 4 international players allowed per team... possible that gibbs would be symo's replacement once they tour the west indies, while mascarenhas is an all rounder like watson.

Ah makes sense thats why Styris was on the bench also.

artist

Banned
Warne still one good mofo, even batting wise. I mean Symonds isnt some local player debuting in IPL, plus it was his match and it was like Roy could do nothing wrong. :lol Take that and f off Laxman, you cry baby..

Btw, Hyderabad is my home city. :lol Go Kolkata, even though I hate the unsportive crowd there, I like the team. I dont care if its not my home team.

Today's game was too one-sided after yesterday's match. Hopefully tomorrow Kolkata v Chennai will be a close game. And I'll be watching it since its Saturday. :)

tri_willy

lol @ the harbi and sreesanth incident. sreesanth appeared to have been upset at harbi after he allegedly "smacked" him under the eye.

master15

Harbhajan may face 'slap' action
Harbhajan tried to play down the incident following the game

Spin bowler Harbhajan Singh could face disciplinary action after claims that he slapped an opposition player during an Indian Premier League game.

Harbhajan was captaining Mumbai Indians against Kings XI Punjab in Mohali when he allegedly slapped the home side's fast bowler Sree Santh.

TV pictures showed Santh crying at the end of the game, which his side won.

India's board of control have condemned Harbhajan's behaviour and given him three days to explain his actions.

In a statement, board secretary Niranjan Shah said: "He is called upon to explain why disciplinary action should not be taken against him. He has been asked for clarification by Monday evening."

Officials are awaiting a report from the match referee and umpires before deciding their next move.

Full story

Oh those Indians :lol Looks like their problems with the Australian players isn't restricted to lashing out at their own countrymen.

You can see video of Sre crying like a little girl here :lol Looks like Zinda didn't want anything to do with him at this stage haha.

master15

So first innings is done between Challengers and Royals. I have to say I'm loving watching the Royals at the moment, awesome captaining by Warne, real enthusiasm by everyone and shock, horror they actually are supporting and looking like a team. I think they are really hopefully going to go far outside Kings XI (Dhoni + Hayden is a deadly combo).

Anyway Dravid goes out without scoring and man what's with nearly everyone getting out caught via square leg or 3rd man? :lol

-Holy shit at Tanvir's action. I've never seen him bowl before....looks like a pace version of Paul Adams.

-Oh man if Jadeja hadn't slipped and touched the rope that would have been an epic catch.

-Ross Taylor was looking deadly until stupid Kallis through away his wicket.

-:lol At the third umpire giving not out for a flash before giving proper decision for out during runout

Come on Royals don't let me down :D

master15

My boys brought it home. Well done Royals, onto bigger and better things. The challengers, erm have some work to do :lol

artist

Banned
master15 said:
Oh those Indians :lol Looks like their problems with the Australian players isn't restricted to lashing out at their own countrymen.
This is not an 'Indian' issue, its related to Harbhajan. I have said it earlier that BCCI need to step in to control some of 'em especially Harbhajan.

Btw, the Sreesanth crying video is too funny to pass up:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ch656hzmhec&feature=related

I'd say we slap a 5 year ban on Harbhajan and prosecute him for assault charges. You simply dont hit a guy, especially not at this big a stage.

I was dissappointed to see Kolkata lose today. Chennai and Rajasthan look like the best balanced teams overall, they both definitely seem to be on track to make it to the semis. The twist in this tournament is that the Australian, NZ and West Indian players will be leaving next week. It'll be a good time to see how the teams adapt to this change. Kolkata will be hit the most and Rajasthan will be hit the least AFAIK.

master15

irfan said:
This is not an 'Indian' issue, its related to Harbhajan. I have said it earlier that BCCI need to step in to control some of 'em especially Harbhajan.

I just found it ironic the two guys that have been at the center of the fracus with Australian's this summer and in the past have lashed out at one another. Anyway in post-interview Sre tried downplaying the whole incident of what Harby did or didn't do.

Btw, the Sreesanth crying video is too funny to pass up:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ch656hzmhec&feature=related

Already beat you to the punch ;) As I said Sre really dishes out the verbals and reminds me of an Indian version of Dion Nash. A whole lot of talk but rarely can back it up. Frankly he's been pretty awful during whole IPL and his recent form isn't too crash hot either. Unlike Harby who seems to reveal and actually step up to altercations/sledges.

You can see video of Sre crying like a little girl here :lol

The twist in this tournament is that the Australian, NZ and West Indian players will be leaving next week. It'll be a good time to see how the teams adapt to this change. Kolkata will be hit the most and Rajasthan will be hit the least AFAIK.

Yeah that will be the key for teams going forward, which teams will be able to cover the changes that are coming into effect soon.

artist

Banned
master15 said:
I just found it ironic the two guys that have been at the center of the fracus with Australian's this summer and in the past have lashed out at one another. Anyway in post-interview Sre tried downplaying the whole incident of what Harby did or didn't do.
Sreesanth wasnt in the limelight during the tour down under, it was Harbhajan all the way.

IMO Sreesanth isnt such a big problem he's made out to be. He's one emotional player and he's as much sportive as 95% of the Australian cricketers (ofcourse with Lee as an exception :D ). And he played a pivotal role in India's T20 WC win, remember the semi against Australia. He was the one who removed Hayden and only conceded 10-15 runs in his 4 overs. Too bad he's gone down hill since then.

Like I said earlier, Harbhajan needs to be slapped with a 5 year ban plus assault charges. No one should be allowed to get away with such a offence.

Sorbie

Neo Member
Hooray for being at least an hour behind here in Adelaide! Still watching the first match. Now I have to stay up and watch Gilly too.

How many 'man of the match' awards have gone to Aussies so far? Anyone keeping track?

artist

Banned
Sorbie said:
How many 'man of the match' awards have gone to Aussies so far? Anyone keeping track?
Eight. Not too bad, especially since they garnered top prices.

Electrifying innings by Gilchrist. Hyderabad's first win :D they better get their bowling together.

My fav team is Rajashthan, I love how everybody's coming together under Warne's captaincy.

master15

irfan said:
He's one emotional player and he's as much sportive as 95% of the Australian cricketers (ofcourse with Lee as an exception :D ). And he played a pivotal role in India's T20 WC win, remember the semi against Australia. He was the one who removed Hayden and only conceded 10-15 runs in his 4 overs. Too bad he's gone down hill since then.

Emotional is putting it lightly. I don't mind aggressive fast bowling at all, in fact I love it but way too often Sre crosses the line worse still over such minor things. He bowls one ball that beats the bat and that suddenly gives him a license to sledge the hell out of the batsmen? He certainly seems when confident a really different player but when bowling on a track that doesn't really assist him and if he doesn't pick up an early wicket a much different prospect as we've seen through this summer largely.

Like I said earlier, Harbhajan needs to be slapped with a 5 year ban plus assault charges. No one should be allowed to get away with such a offence.

Eh, we both know that's not going to happen. Watch for him to get a slap on the wrist in my opinion.

I missed both games last night :( And when I do Gilly finally steps up to the plate and unleashed from what I heard. Fuck!

edit:
irfan said:
My fav team is Rajashthan, I love how everybody's coming together under Warne's captaincy.

Same! On paper they are definitely one of the 'weaker' teams with very few 'power' hitters (Although Pathan has looked very impressive and actually hit some lofty shots) but as you said that's probably helped them not having all stars linning the team up and Warne clearly is a better captain and always thinking. Didn't know he was also coaching the team too.

Gilly slogged away too many 6s on the onside off some suspect bowling. You don't bowl short to that man, guys. I think Pollock also made the mistake of under-bowling himself after getting hit around the ground in one over. Anyway, it might have slowed him down, but I don't think anything could have stopped him from reaching a century in that innings. Richie Benaud has it right: he's the best striker of the ball the game has ever seen.

master15

Well looks like Harby's been banned for the rest of the IPL season. Colour me suprised the authorites have actually stepped up this time and imposed a half-decent punishment.

Anyway onto the cricket itself, just watching Super Kings v Challengers. Holy smokes at Dhoni near the end! Man has serious power and hits them where you would least suspect. Definitely changed the game around for Super Kings. Should be a tough run chase.

master15

Holy shit, talk about complete and utter collapse near the end for the Challengers. They had the game pretty much wrapped up before half the team lost their entire head.

I thought the game was summed up by Dravid sending in young Kohli instead of going out there himself when the team lost two quick wickets to ensure the team ended the rush chase well, instead he passed on responsibility and no one bothered telling the young guys to calm down and look for the easy runs, instead they tried hitting the 6 shot and promtly got bowled out.

If there was any proof why India are doing as well as they are you only have to look at the way Dhoni marshalled his team and remained cool under pressure near the end (Not mentioning his stunning innings) compared to Dravid who's looked absolutely at sea and clearly knows nothing about team-work or really stepping up.

Challengers should have had their first win...

artist

Banned
master15 said:
Well looks like Harby's been banned for the rest of the IPL season. Colour me suprised the authorites have actually stepped up this time and imposed a half-decent punishment.
For starters that was a good punishment, still believe smacking your professional colleague infront of thounsands of witnesses deserves a larger/longer ban. I hope they investigate the issue further and also straighten out Sreesanth while they are at it. :D

About yesterdays game, Dhoni's innings was superb. However again Chennai's bowling doesnt impress me at all. They got some big hitters; Hayden, Hussey, Dhoni but thats about it. Add to that two of those three are scheduled to leave very shortly and Dhoni might have to take a larger role or pick younger ones who can deliver for him. The less I talk about Bangalore, the better .. :lol

On to today's match, I was pretty dissappointed. I wanted Ponting to fire, its been a long time since I saw him guns blazing. :( Also Kolkata need to figure out how to fill the (big) void while also bat more sensibly. Throwing away wickets aiming for 200 and ending up with 140 is far worse than batting more sensibly (aiming for 180) and ending up with 170.

Also whats up with all the captain's trying to bat first; I hate this. Out of the 16 matches so far, the team chasing has won 11 times. Open your fucking eyes and stop making decisions blindly.

tri_willy

irfan said:
On to today's match, I was pretty dissappointed. I wanted Ponting to fire, its been a long time since I saw him guns blazing. :(

if he was paid twice as much, the runs will flow in easily... i suspect he not performing due
to not being happy with a mere lazy $400,000 US :D

artist

Banned
tri_willy said:
if he was paid twice as much, the runs will flow in easily... i suspect he not performing due
to not being happy with a mere lazy $400,000 US :D
On the contrary, he should prove the fucking point that he is not worth half as much as newbie players like Ishant. Also I say drop Ganguly from the captain and give it to Ponting. I bet they wouldnt do that otherwise there would be another riot from the Kolkatans. :lol :lol

master15

Yeah I was pretty gutted Pointing didn't fire, he had perfect opportunity since McCullam and Ganguly went out cheap (Nice comeback from Pollock who was destroyed by Gilly the other day). I think there's something off about where he takes guard and his balance. I mean through his career he's always gone hard at the ball and often when not in form or early in his innings has a tendancy to fall over especially playing to the offside. Just watching him last night he looked really out of sorts, which is a touch worrying since he's been in the biggest slump I've ever seen him in.

Anyway good innings by Bravo, good to see them finally get a win on the board and finally Tendulkar will be fit for their next game which is good news.

Anyway my boys, Rajastan are playing tonight. Let's hope Warne can lead them to another victory :D

master15

Looks like Sky TV here in New Zealand has lost the live feed of the T20 game and can't show it at the moment. Gah...

Edit: From Cricinfo commentary;

Oops due to technical reasons, the game is yet to start. The players are all waiting in the middle for the action to begin. One suspects this could do with the TV coverage. They are yet to start their telecast due to some technical reasons.

Hi there. Welcome to the 17th game of the IPL. Delhi Daredevils v Bangalore Royal Challengers. The big news coming from the capital is the absence of Delhi Cheerleaders. Women ... they are gone!

:lol

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon
I've always thought that Harbhajan and Sreesanth were assholes who were coddled by India despite/for their behaviour, they deserve everything they get, it's been a long time coming. Indian team management and media are more to blame for this than anyone else though.

artist

Banned
tri_willy said:
the whole team should be called the bangalore test team
Good one. :lol

McGrath just snared Dravid. Best figures by a bowler in the league so far. Bravo pigeon.

McGrath vs Boucher ... I remember the '99 WC semi, clean bowled the middle stump. Hope he repeats it here.

jey_16

Banned
so i am just wondering....what happens next season? do the players remain with their current teams or is there another auction and we will have completley new teams

and what about players like Andrew Symonds? Deccan pays $1.35m for him and then he goes of to the West Indies after a few games

anyway, so far so good.....the Cricket has been entertaining and it does seem like the players are getting into it, still not sure what team to support

one request, dont ban the cheerleaders

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
jey_16 said:
so i am just wondering....what happens next season? do the players remain with their current teams or is there another auction and we will have completley new teams

and what about players like Andrew Symonds? Deccan pays $1.35m for him and then he goes of to the West Indies after a few games

anyway, so far so good.....the Cricket has been entertaining and it does seem like the players are getting into it, still not sure what team to support

one request, dont ban the cheerleaders

only ended up paying like $200,000 i think, if they even got paid, i still remember they hadnt been paid up til like the day they were leaving aus, and their payments were 17 days late. pathetic.

Top Bottom