• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New and Improved Cricket Thread© - Now Roadblock Free!

master15

Yes that's latter but at the moment it's all about my boys from Rajastan :D (Who are actually playing today, not yesterday like stupid Sky TV told me).

Again Warne proved he was ahead of pretty much every captain in the tournement when he shuffled the batting line-up. Asnodkar played a beautiful gem of an innings really put them in good position and once again Pathan came in and delivered the goods. Not a huge fan of Watson but he got a pretty rank decision.

196 is a very solid score if they can get early wickets. Without McCullam and company interesting to see how the Knight Rider fare especially not having a strong batting lineup.

master15

Piss of Ganguly! The very fact he urged and somewhat forced the umpire to upstairs was pretty poor. Even worse then umpire didn't give him out when Smith cleanly took the catch.

Kharma came and bit him in the ass though, caught next over out on the boundary. Come on Raja!

tri_willy

master15 said:
Piss of Ganguly! The very fact he urged and somewhat forced the umpire to upstairs was pretty poor. Even worse then umpire didn't give him out when Smith cleanly took the catch.

clearly a ganguly classic... he's getting more cocky these days

artist

Banned
Well Ganguly and Warne were both fined 10% for their conduct. I believe the whole episode was silly, from both sides. Knowing both of their personalities, its nothing new either. :D

Nice knock by Sehwag today. Chennai finally lost their first game, now Delhi, Rajasthan & Chennai are tied at the top for points, Delhi leading by NRR. At the start of the tournament, Delhi was the team that looked most suspect and boy did they prove to be a surprise. Delhi is now my second fav team (mainly for McGrath+Asif combo, plus Gambhir+Sehwag at the top are not bad either) after Rajasthan.

I believe Chennai will now suffer a downward spiral unless Dhoni can find some one to fill their weak bowling and also buffer the absence of Hayden, Hussey and Oram.

tri_willy

sohail tanvir with the killer figures of 6-14 for the rajasthan royals. future bowler for pakistan. hopefully they pull off the win against the super kings.
too bad the daredevils got done by the mumbai indians.

master15

Looks like another rollocking win by my boys Rajastan :D Only started watching halfway through Super Kings innings by then Tanvir had gone through their top order. I still must confess he looks like a pace-version of Paul Adams (action and all).

Couldn't believe the drop catch, they missed Graeme Smith on. What a dolly. Perhaps Irfan called it right, without their big stars at the top they might indeed struggle. It will be 2 losses on the trot.

I also laughed at how the Challengers collapsed last night during run chase, should have been an easy win.

Edit: Top of the table bitches! :lol

artist

Banned
Tanvir's action has always been suspect imo, for that matter most of the Pakistan pace bowlers always had suspect action. :D Still, props to Tanvir for bowling in the right areas and crumbling Chennai. I dont think there will be a better bowling figures in the tournament.

Btw, I'm loving the way Yusuf has been attacking every time he's out there. His hits are as clean/lovely as a prime Yuvraj.

Wtf was that moment when Joginder dropped a sitter from Smith and yet he got a pat after that and there were smiles all around .. :lol I guess they realised that the game was already decided that the catch wasnt worth the effort to bitch about it.:D

Even though Delhi lost today, imo they'll still be in semis. Pigeon + Asif is a deadly combo.

tri_willy

deccan still have a ways to go. perhaps laxman being out of the side was a good thing for the team... he was never a limited overs player to begin with...

artist

Banned
FFFFFFuck!

Royals got bowled out for 103, color me depressed. We need the Warne magic from the '99 semi or another spell from Tanvir.

master15

My sleeping habbits have returned to a somewhat more normal time schedule so I've been missing watching the games although did see some highlights.

Well done to the Chargers, leave Gilly as Captain ;) Also seems Fleming is absolute posion. Three games and three losses, poor guy...also getting out to the Syris the virus :(

My boys Rajastan completely collapsed last night I saw. No way they could defend such a small total. Ahh well...

artist

Banned
The 'yawnfest' is garnering more attention than International cricket .. (WI v Aus or NZ v Eng) :lol :lol :lol

What an innings by Jayasuriya! and I thought Gilchrist was amazing for his age, this easily tops Gilchrist's innings.

I thought the fight for spots 3 & 4 in the semis would be tough, now the playing field got more even. Fight for spots 2, 3 & 4. :D

artist

Banned
Delhi end up with 194. Big task for Deccan, unless a special by Gilchrist I dont see it happening.

Gambhir boosts his lead as the leading run scorer.

artist

Banned
Kolkatta being blown away by Mumbai today. Jayasuriya is looking like he's getting into his '96 WC groove :D. Mumbai bowling looks real good now. They bowled out Rajasthan for 103 earlier.

tri_willy

there goes deccan and bangalore...
after all that hype about the chargers, they were disappointing
rajasthan the surprise performers, but they earned it

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Wouldnt have minded watching the game last night, seemed like a whole repeat of the Aus Vs India thing, our batters crumbling and the bowlers saving us, lucky they got Clark :lol

Grug

So glad that real cricket has commenced again as opposed to bloody Twenty20 popcorn crap.

Stuey Clark take a bow.

Grug said:
So glad that real cricket has commenced again as opposed to bloody Twenty20 popcorn crap.

:lol This reminds me of that "Wii is killing gaming" nonsense.

However, Stuart Clark is a legend. I think he can reach McGrath-esque figures if he keeps going the way he is now. The most underrated bowler in the Australian attack, and it's good to see Ponting talk about how consistent he is.

Otherwise, I can't believe that England dismantled New Zealand in the second Test. The look on Vettori's face as his side approached disaster was classic. They'll come right in the third, though.

Dahbomb

DarkJediKnight said:
OH Dilhara Fernando!!

How could you let an easy win slip away!
That guy deserves to be booted off the team for the amount of errors he committed in the game... errors which caused a near fatal loss to the Mumbai Indians. They now have to rely on a loss by Chennai to have a chance at the Semi-Finals.

I say that Mumbai Indians are semi-final material over CSK. Ever since Hayden/Hussey left, CSK is merely a shell of its former self.

tri_willy

Pachael said:
Deccan has been embarrassing. Very embarrassing, considering the amount of dosh they forked out.

Considering that they had all the big hitters, they just couldnt pull it off. Having a test batsmen (Laxman) at the early stages and not being able to adapt to the 20/20 format, did not help their cause and poor bowling was just as bad.

Anyway, in proper cricket stuff, good to see the Aussies win, despite playing like shit in the 2nd innings. Only a killer bowling spell from Stuart Clark made the win more convincing and poor Katich can not do anything right in the tests. 12 and 1 plus poor fielding (dropped catch) will prob warrant an end to his international career.

artist

Banned
Grug said:
Twenty20 popcorn crap.
:lol

If you are not good at it, it doesnt matter. Right? :lol :lol :lol

Still rooting for Rajasthan, followed by Delhi. I absolutely hate Punjab and am indifferent towards Chennai.

tri_willy said:
poor Katich can not do anything right in the tests. 12 and 1 plus poor fielding (dropped catch) will prob warrant an end to his international career.

He's always been unlucky with his international career, but I wish the selectors would show more faith with him. He's done some great things in Ashes series of years gone by.

Grug

Tim the Wiz said:
He's always been unlucky with his international career, but I wish the selectors would show more faith with him. He's done some great things in Ashes series of years gone by.

Keep Katich, but drop Hodge.

If only so we can keep giving Victorians shit about their inability to produce current test cricketers.

tri_willy

Grug said:
Keep Katich, but drop Hodge.

If only so we can keep giving Victorians shit about their inability to produce current test cricketers.

LOL the vics dont have that much players who have the potential to break into the test lineup. Hodge will probably still be a fringe player, whilst guys like Cameron White & David Hussey have potential to enter into the test squad although Hussey is getting quite old. As a South Aussie, would like to see Tait break into the line up at some stage. Had very small hopes for Cosgrove to potentially become a test player, but for the meantime, burgers and fries are the barrier for his success.

Grug

tri_willy said:
LOL the vics dont have that much players who have the potential to break into the test lineup. Hodge will probably still be a fringe player, whilst guys like Cameron White & David Hussey have potential to enter into the test squad although Hussey is getting quite old. As a South Aussie, would like to see Tait break into the line up at some stage. Had very small hopes for Cosgrove to potentially become a test player, but for the meantime, burgers and fries are the barrier for his success.

What's happening with Tait... is he still taking some time away from the game?

Tait's come back from his leave of absence apparently and signed back in as a potential national player with Cricket Australia.

Can't believe David Hussey isn't in the national side yet, though. And I certainly can't believe that he's 30 years old. Then again, his brother didn't get in 'till he was 29 or so.

Shaun Marsh and Cameron White should be called up regularly as well, however, they're still young and the latter hasn't completely delivered when given the chance in ODIs.

tri_willy

yea tait still aiming to get back into the test line up maybe next season. someone like johnson will have to played really shit for tait to get in. atm im guessing he trying to get back into form n will slot in with the redbacks

artist

Banned
Rajasthan steam rolled their way into the finals. :D

Meh, the Aus v WI test is a drag. Poor Katich, looks like a player in the mould of Dravid/Kallis.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
It's time!

Really hoping the royals get on top and have a really good game, warneys captaining has been amazing, his use of the kids, his risky field placements, good luck warney!

Pachael

99-3 in 13 overs. I think this will be closer than most people think, and Chennai to hold out - though on the flip side nobody will begrudge Raja's success win or lose.

tri_willy

damn rain in west indies!!! i wanna see results!!! not a no result!!!

on other news, macgill just announced his immediate retirement after the match...
well done on a marvellous career

irfan said:
Poor Katich, looks like a player in the mould of Dravid/Kallis.

If you've been watching his performances in the IPL you'd know that Katich is doing the right thing and adapting to the situation presented to him. There's also nothing "poor" about fitting the mold of players such as Dravid and Kallis in the Test arena.

Warney's fairytale continues with an excellent win by Rajasthan. Yusuf Pathan, Shane Watson, Asnodkar and Tanvir all showed how talented they are. They're definitely stars of the future. Totally deserved to win the final as the best team in the competition, although they were lucky to get through on the last ball of the match. And how about Yusuf getting dropped twice? The phrase "catches win matches" has never been more apt.

IPL next year will be very interesting. Australian national players will most likely get their schedules cleared for the tournament, English players will enter into the mix, and the amount of money spent on players - as with everything else - will probably go up. I think Watson (Man of the Series) will find his wages increased above $125K at the very least. :lol

artist

Banned
Tim the Wiz said:
Warney's fairytale continues with an excellent win by Rajasthan. Yusuf Pathan, Shane Watson, Asnodkar and Tanvir all showed how talented they are. They're definitely stars of the future. Totally deserved to win the final as the best team in the competition, although they were lucky to get through on the last ball of the match. And how about Yusuf getting dropped twice? The phrase "catches win matches" has never been more apt.

IPL next year will be very interesting. Australian national players will most likely get their schedules cleared for the tournament, English players will enter into the mix, and the amount of money spent on players - as with everything else - will probably go up. I think Watson (Man of the Series) will find his wages increased above $125K at the very least. :lol
Agreed and agreed.

AAK

Oh my, Pakistan's bowling is terrible. Is this really the best the country has to offer internationally?

Top Bottom