• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official All-Encompassing Guitar Hero SUPER THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xevren

At least in that if you just held down the whammy bar it was automatic. It's just kind of uncomfortable doing it in this.

Ashour

TheGreatDave said:
Guitar Hero Smash Hits Disc Imports
(Guitar Hero Greatest Hits Disc Import in Europe),
Coming Soon for the Xbox360, PS3, and Wii

• “Caught In A Mosh” – Anthrax
• “Cult Of Personality” – Living Colour
• “Free Bird” – Lynyrd Skynyrd
• “Freya” – The Sword
• “Heart-Shaped Box” – Nirvana
• “Hey You” – The Exies
• “Hit Me With Your Best Shot” – Pat Benatar
• “I Love Rock 'N Roll” – Joan Jett & The Blackhearts
• “I Wanna Rock” – Twisted Sister
• “Message In A Bottle” – The Police
• “Miss Murder” – AFI
• “Monkey Wrench” – Foo Fighters
• “No One Knows” – Queens Of The Stone Age
• “Nothin’ But A Good Time” – Poison
• “Play With Me” – Extreme
• “Psychobilly Freakout” – Reverend Horton Heat
• “Rock And Roll All Nite” – Kiss
• “Shout At The Devil” – Mötley Crüe
• “The Trooper” – Iron Maiden
• “Woman” – Wolfmother
• “Yyz” – Rush

That's it? dumb dumb Dumb.

Baker

Banned
I haven't used the guitar for real yet, but from just jiggling it a couple of times in the box:

1) It has a rubber coating on it which is nice.

2) It was LOUD as all fuck.

Edit:

Don't know if this was mentioned yet, but you can't use the Gamestop 160 points until 9/4 for 360 version.

I should have known better than to wear my freakin' VanHalen '07 tour t-shirt. The clerk at GameStop made a wise crack about it,something like GHVH isn't even out yet.
~haha~ wise ass. :/

Actually the track list for GH5 is pretty good. Plus I need something abit change of pace between my WolfenStein game sessions anyways.

Question,how much are usb mics? I have a friend who hates video games but loves to watch me play Guitar Hero. He found out his favorite guitarist (Santana) is in the set list and wants to try his hand at singing all the songs now,while I play guitar. Should be cool,never played GH coop. with a friend before.

Grecco

T-1000_Model3 said:
I should have known better than to wear my freakin' VanHalen '07 tour t-shirt. The clerk at GameStop made a wise crack about it,something like GHVH isn't even out yet.
~haha~ wise ass. :/

Actually the track list for GH5 is pretty good. Plus I need something abit change of pace between my WolfenStein game sessions anyways.

Question,how much are usb mics? I have a friend who hates video games but loves to watch me play Guitar Hero. He found out his favorite guitarist (Santana) is in the set list and wants to try his hand at singing all the songs now,while I play guitar. Should be cool,never played GH coop. with a friend before.

Depends on the mc. You can find the logitech mics at 9.99 -29.99 most stores.

Baker

Banned
T-1000_Model3 said:
$20-30.

I like the Logitech Vantage but it looks like amazon bumped its price up for some reason.

Baker said:
$20-30.

I like the Logitech Vantage but it looks like amazon bumped its price up for some reason.

Not bad I guess,though the last time I bought a mic was 1998 for a web tv.:lol
Eh,I'm a cheap bastard though,I'll try Ebay for one if theyre over $15.00 new.
Hope someone offers free shipping.

DuckRacer

Yeah I got the GH5 bundle today because I needed a new guitar. The strum bar is essentially perfect (and it's not nearly as loud as the LP/Xplorer), the fret buttons are mushy as hell and are complete shit compared to the Strat's frets, imo. Hopefully I'll get used to them and the fat neck soon, otherwise I'll seriously consider selling this and just getting a Strat 2 again. :/

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Agadez.jpg

plz neversoft

Porkepik

GH5+ PS3 needing to update to firmware 3.0+ download of the GHWT pack+ patch DLC = looong time, it took me about an hour to do everything. Once my kids are in bed I can start playing the damn game

Oh and btw the animated background are great in 3.0

Baker

Banned
Porkepik said:
GH5+ PS3 needing to update to firmware 3.0+ download of the GHWT pack+ patch DLC = looong time, it took me about an hour to do everything. Once my kids are in bed I can start playing the damn game
I'm over an hour and only 54% through the WT import.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
http://gameinformer.com/NR/exeres/420DB566-CDBC-4D27-B75F-AAA6D01A907F.htm

However, forcing Johnny Cash to cavort around onstage with the now playable Live Avatars is just humiliating. (By the way, perhaps it would have been better to leave Kurt Cobain out of the game entirely if you were going to be so tacky as to allow players to have him jumping up and down like an idiot to a Blink 182 song as a playable character. Seriously gross.)

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
I'm way impressed with the visuals and animations in this game. The menus and such still kind of suck but they certainly improved in game.

The guitar on Sympathy For The Devil is like impossible to hear. It was hard to tell what I was playing except for the solos.

Xevren

NameGenerated said:
I'm way impressed with the visuals and animations in this game. The menus and such still kind of suck but they certainly improved in game.

The guitar on Sympathy For The Devil is like impossible to hear. It was hard to tell what I was playing except for the solos.

I will never play Sympathy For The Devil again, that was a horrible ordeal. Do You Feel Like We Do was so long, got a pair of achievements from it thoug.

Uncle AJ

Jesus, I think I just played for 4 hours straight with Great Dave... Corkscrew was there for the first half as well.

I almost cried tears of joy when I realized that crash and ride cymbals have been charted to the green pad when playing GH5 with a RB2 kit... almost. It doesn't sound like that big of a deal, but it ends up solving a lot of problems I had playing GHWT where you had to move your hands all around the kit.

Some of those charts are still a fucking mess on the RB2 kit, though... Plug In Baby, All The Pretty Faces, Wolf Like Me... I forget which, but I did fail out of one. You remember Dave?

Highlights also include Dave picking Zakk Wylde Guitar Battle as our very first song to play in our brand new game... and also Dave being so disgusted with the amount of alt-strumming in Wolf Like Me that he just aborted it. :lol

Baker

Banned
How do you delete individual WT songs? I found the "file" in the Memory section but it's acting like it's one giant entity.

NameGenerated

So have they said how to get GH:VH? I saw nothing about it in the manual or other instruction packaging. I assume it has to do with the unique code on the back of the manual?

Baker

Banned
WTF is with the hair. I'm trying to make it black but they don't let you change the highlight color so everything has blonde streaks all over. ARGH

NameGenerated

Baker said:
WTF is with the hair. I'm trying to make it black but they don't let you change the highlight color so everything has blonde streaks all over. ARGH
I tried to make black hair but it's more of a dark brown, I was disappoint.

Mo the Hawk said:
Jesus, I think I just played for 4 hours straight with Great Dave... Corkscrew was there for the first half as well.

I almost cried tears of joy when I realized that crash and ride cymbals have been charted to the green pad when playing GH5 with a RB2 kit... almost. It doesn't sound like that big of a deal, but it ends up solving a lot of problems I had playing GHWT where you had to move your hands all around the kit.

Some of those charts are still a fucking mess on the RB2 kit, though... Plug In Baby, All The Pretty Faces, Wolf Like Me... I forget which, but I did fail out of one. You remember Dave?

Highlights also include Dave picking Zakk Wylde Guitar Battle as our very first song to play in our brand new game... and also Dave being so disgusted with the amount of alt-strumming in Wolf Like Me that he just aborted it. :lol

:lol Wolf Like Me is just so awful. And I did even worse on it than I did in RB2, I still think I have some calibration issues. I never even touched GH:WT's calibration menu!

I can't remember what you failed out of. I know I brought you back in about 5 seconds though. Their system is pretty forgiving, clearly. You're really good too, I got a bunch of extra stars from your mad drumming :p

Uncle AJ

NameGenerated said:
So have they said how to get GH:VH? I saw nothing about it in the manual or other instruction packaging. I assume it has to do with the unique code on the back of the manual?

Yep

Uncle AJ

Also, Back Around. Great song, but the drum chart is just totally indecipherable in spots. Hurts my brain, it does.

TheGreatDave said:
I can't remember what you failed out of. I know I brought you back in about 5 seconds though. Their system is pretty forgiving, clearly. You're really good too, I got a bunch of extra stars from your mad drumming :p

I had to leave my real drum kit back home while I'm away at college, so all of my skill points are being put into fake drums again! :lol

So I'm gonna write up some pros and cons:

PROS!

Game looks nice (yeah, shoot me)
Notecharts are good, bar shit like Sympathy.
The lobby system for online is really good. Very easy to get in and out of games.
Career structure is fun. Challenges you to switch instruments every so often, but avoids RB's nasty, evil World Tour structure, bar the final encores.
Loading times are MUCH better than WT.
Band Moments are a nice idea. I like holding off on my star power than UNLEASHING it when the time is right.
EASY ACCESS TO HYPERSPEED
Hyperspeed 2 in multiplayer didn't make my eyes hurt, so I guess they've increased the length of the highway (even though it really doesn't look like it in screenshots)

CONS!

Band Moment sections can make it hard to spot HO/POs. I fucked up a couple of them because I couldn't read the chart properly
Create A Character still won't let me make a face that isn't super long. Hair options are shitty for making somebody you don't want to punch. I gave up making myself after about 2 minutes.
Sorting options are good, but it's still no Rock Band. The "Page Down" button is nice though, but they need to add headers for artists, difficulties, etc. The "back" button is wasted by just having it duplicate what red already does.
Less options than WT for customizing stuff like flame colour.
So far, nothing overly challenging on guitar. I've still got shit to unlock though, but the setlist isn't amazing so far.

Xevren

Some of the challenges in the last two tiers are really damn tough. The last one on guitar you're pretty much going to have to FC the tap sections in 21st Century Schizoid Man, and it's hard as hell. The Scatterbrain and Done for Everything Die for Nothing challenges are tough as hell too.

NameGenerated

TheGreatDave said:
Hyperspeed 2 in multiplayer didn't make my eyes hurt, so I guess they've increased the length of the highway (even though it really doesn't look like it in screenshots)
Nice, I hated that before.

Baker

Banned
I haven't read the instructions. How the fuck are you supposed to get 8 stars? Do you need a full band or something? I FC'ed the second song and only got 6.

Grecco

Probably old but Destructoid contacted Activision which confirmed that the GHWT list isnt final. More licences will come

DuckRacer

Cross-posting from the RB thread:

29apnya.jpg

smug.gif
smug.gif
smug.gif

Also, having Sultans of Swing play at the title screen and being able to just jump in and play it is unbelievably awesome.

Baker

Banned
Guitar impressions:

This is the best plastic instrument yet.

1. The strum is quiet and doesn't squeak (yet). It is made a rubbery matte material like the DSi.

2. The star power switch is hard core. You really have to raise the guitar to get it to activate. No accidental shit here, which is great.

3. Buttons are pretty mushy, but I'm fine with that.

4. Size is a godsend after using that bullshit Les Paul for the last couple weeks.

That's about it. I never use the touchpad so I dunno about that. It's pretty much the WT guitar made correctly. Worth buying.

Baker said:
Guitar impressions:

This is the best plastic instrument yet.

1. The strum is quiet and doesn't squeak (yet). It is made a rubbery matte material like the DSi.

2. The star power switch is hard core. You really have to raise the guitar to get it to activate. No accidental shit here, which is great.

3. Buttons are pretty mushy, but I'm fine with that.

4. Size is a godsend after using that bullshit Les Paul for the last couple weeks.

That's about it. I never use the touchpad so I dunno about that. It's pretty much the WT guitar made correctly. Worth buying.

I'm going to upgrade then! I've worn out my GHWT guitar. I thought I read that the touchpad had some improvements. I'll give it a go.

NameGenerated

Touch pad has 3 raised line for green, yellow, and orange now. Still not gonna use it though.

Also I whammied every single whammy there was almost in Ex-Girlfriend and still didn't get halfway to diamond. Whammying is inconvenient for lefties too.

CROSSPOSTING

r2ky8n.jpg

I quite like that multiplayer mode. The one we played with Duck (Do Or Die) is like fucking Counter Strike for music games. Not much fun on hard tracks.

NameGenerated said:
Touch pad has 3 raised line for green, yellow, and orange now. Still not gonna use it though.

Also I whammied every single whammy there was almost in Ex-Girlfriend and still didn't get halfway to diamond. Whammying is inconvenient for lefties too.

I did that too, I don't know what I did wrong. Felt like I did about as much as I could do.

The in-game invite system thing is a Godsend. And it's really great knowing you don't have to worry about having more than two guitarists, or one drummer.

Baker

Banned
Xevren said:
The online play in this is amazingly good, such a godsend after the last few GH iterations we've had.
I can tell they're cool, but I have no fucking clue what's going on in most of them.

Who wants to play? Dave sent me an invite but started playing in the 10 seconds it took me to try and join his game. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom