• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official All-Encompassing Guitar Hero SUPER THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you didn't make bronze, you must have been doing something wrong.

I like them for the challenge itself, but it's hardly the most enjoyable way to play. REQUEST FOR GH6; INSTRUMENT SPECIFIC CHALLENGES FOR ALL SONGS.

Magik

Baker said:
:lol :lol :lol

The game only held my interest for about 45 minutes because I don't like any of the songs. I knew that going in though so I wasn't too disappointed.

The whammy challenges are stupid though. I jiggled the damn thing on at least 85% of that John Mellencamp song and didn't even make it close to a bronze.

For me I had to whammy like a mad man and I ended up missing Diamond by a few seconds. Really annoying since my arm was tired as heck after all that whammying.

TheGreatDave said:
If you didn't make bronze, you must have been doing something wrong.

I like them for the challenge itself, but it's hardly the most enjoyable way to play. REQUEST FOR GH6; INSTRUMENT SPECIFIC CHALLENGES FOR ALL SONGS.

You don't really have to request it. Its going to happen. Both HMX and Neversoft purposely limit the amount of gameplay mechanics in every game so that they can add in more in future titles.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Damn pretty pumped for this even though I did get sorta burnt out on music games. Nice that now we're at the stage where we don't have to buy new instruments anymore--makes this a lot easier. (Though I wish my second guitar--WT--wasn't so damn squeaky.)

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
I've never heard of so many of the bands in here. Darker My Love, Face To Face, Love And Rockets, My Morning Jacket...quite a few more as well.

TheExodu5

Banned
TheGreatDave said:
Oh yeah; hammer on chords are fantastic. They always work. I think they went a little GH3 on the timing for them, the timing for being early seems quiet forgiving.

By GH3 forgiving do you mean you can hit the hammer-ons as early as you want and they'll still register?

Magik

NameGenerated said:
I've never heard of so many of the bands in here. Darker My Love, Face To Face, Love And Rockets, My Morning Jacket...quite a few more as well.

I have the same problem as well. I only recognize a small amount of songs.

Though, I'm not surprised I don't recognize some of the bands since the songs are kind of shit to begin with. :lol

TheExodu5 said:
By GH3 forgiving do you mean you can hit the hammer-ons as early as you want and they'll still register?

Sort of. For chords, it seems like you can be a lot earlier than you can for normal notes. But I've not done any major investigation in to it. All I know is they work well, and aren't frustrating at all.

Baker

Banned
TheGreatDave said:
Yes. I found myself skipping every song that wasn't a guitar or bass challenge.

I'm worried my WT drums are broke so I haven't turned them on in six months probably. The last time I used them at a buddy's house, they wouldn't register any soft hits.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Everything but 21st Century Schizoid Man and Scatterbran has been FC'ed on guitar already. :lol

Magik

Archie said:
Everything but 21st Century Schizoid Man and Scatterbran has been FC'ed on guitar already. :lol

Are you really surprised?

The skill level of players today is sky high and Neversoft (and HMX) have been scaling back the difficulty of their charts to make them a bit more accessible.

Future RB and GH games are going to be FC'd faster and faster.

bryehn

This is miles beyond where World Tour was!

I'm really enjoying just about everything so far, all the tweaks are sweet and it's definitely at or above Rock Band for me already. If only there was a magical way to convert all my RB DLC to GH :O

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Maybe Neversoft should introduce an arbitrary strum limit and make songs from Green Day and Kings of Leon near impossible to FC.

LakeEarth

I totally missed the release of this, randomly seeing it at Wal-Mart yesterday, but game only. Once I find a guitar bundle I'll be joining the party despite WT's bad taste. How's the new guitar anyways?

Baker

Banned
Since I still never read the instruction book, let's play "explain the mp modes to my dumbass." I don't even remember all of them.

Streakers - I'm assuming this should be who has the longest streak. However, you keep getting points even when you miss a note so I have no idea what's going on.

Momentum - The note scrolling seemed to start out slow but that's about the only thing I noticed.

Do or Die - I guess everytime you miss a 3rd note, you're dropped out of the rest of the current phrase? I couldn't tell if SP reset your missed counter.

Perfection - Dunno if I played this one.

I think there was another one, but I don't remember the name.

LakeEarth said:
I totally missed the release of this, randomly seeing it at Wal-Mart yesterday, but game only. Once I find a guitar bundle I'll be joining the party despite WT's bad taste. How's the new guitar anyways?
Goddamn wonderful.

Magik

bryehn said:
This is miles beyond where World Tour was!

I'm really enjoying just about everything so far, all the tweaks are sweet and it's definitely at or above Rock Band for me already. If only there was a magical way to convert all my RB DLC to GH :O

GH5 is absolutely MILES ahead of GHWT.

I mean, I got more enjoyment out of GH5 so far than my entire time with GHWT.

GHWT was that bad in retrospect. :lol :lol :lol :lol

I think I may prefer WT's setlist. But I haven't quite been through all of 5 yet. The setlist is it's weakest point though. And I defended WT for a reason; it had lots of songs I liked to play.

Baker

Banned
TheGreatDave said:
I think I may prefer WT's setlist.
Same. It's not saying much but it at least had 10-12 songs I'd listen to outside a plastic instrument game.

Talking purely as a game though, GH5 is light years better.

Pretty much. I dunno, I haven't even played the majority of songs on guitar yet I don't think (I went through a ton of career on bass) so we'll see.

Baker

Banned
TheGreatDave said:
Pretty much. I dunno, I haven't even played the majority of songs on guitar yet I don't think (I went through a ton of career on bass) so we'll see.
I wish Expert would just skip the first two venues or something and add some super hard ones at the end. The first night with these games can get so boring.

Magik

TheGreatDave said:
I think I may prefer WT's setlist. But I haven't quite been through all of 5 yet. The setlist is it's weakest point though. And I defended WT for a reason; it had lots of songs I liked to play.

In terms of setlist I would agree that WT had the better overall setlist, but game wise, GH5 by a mile.

i've gotta disagree on setlist, but then i like a wide variety in my music games.

GH5 has had a big focus on accessibility and parties. as far as a diverse range of songs that are fun to play or sing, i don't think we've had anything close on disc.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
2lnvksn.jpg
aph28p.jpg

Xevren

TheGreatDave said:

Play through it some more, I'm loving the setlist.

DuckRacer

I played through the career mode. Verdict: new, well-implemented features don't mean anything when the setlist itself is the worst in a mainline GH/RB game ever, and is dubiously charted to boot. There's only 10 or so songs I have any remote desire to come to RB, let alone buy as DLC, and that (plus a few more) is the number of fun to play songs too. Zzzz.

Back to RB2, I guess?

Baker

Banned
DuckRacer said:
I played through the career mode. Verdict: new, well-implemented features don't mean anything when the setlist itself is the worst in a mainline GH/RB game ever, and is dubiously charted to boot. There's only 10 or so songs I have any remote desire to come to RB, let alone buy as DLC, and that (plus a few more) is the number of fun to play songs too. Zzzz.

Back to RB2, I guess?
Yeah, I knew there was a problem when I was skipping entire venues.

I'm one of those "only listen to metal" assholes, so I'm used to not liking everything in these games. However, it seemed absolutely ridiculous in GH5.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Downloadable Content - September 3

The Rolling Stones Live Track Pack

* “Prodigal Son (Live)”
* “You Gotta Move (Live)”
* “Under My Thumb (Live)”
* “I’m Free (Live)”
* “(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction (Live)”

Downloadable Content – September 10

Street Sweeper Social Club Track Pack

* “100 Little Curses”
* “Fight! Smash! Win!”
* “Somewhere in the World It's Midnight”

Downloadable Content – September 17

AFI Track Pack

* “Beautiful Thieves” (Ed. Note: From their new album, can't find it online)
* “Girl’s Not Grey”
* “The Missing Frame”

Downloadable Content – September 24

* Editors - “Munich”
* The Faint - “Geeks Were Right”
* Yeah Yeah Yeahs - “Dull Life”

Uh, yay?

DuckRacer

Baker said:
Yeah, I knew there was a problem when I was skipping entire venues.

I'm one of those "only listen to metal" assholes, so I'm used to not liking everything in these games. However, it seemed absolutely ridiculous in GH5.
I don't mind listening to most of the GH5 setlist, it's just that they're almost all completely boring and/or terrible to play. I shouldn't have to reach the last few venues to play songs that don't exclusively consist of boring riffs or chordfests.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Archie said:
Downloadable Content - September 3

The Rolling Stones Live Track Pack

* “Prodigal Son (Live)”
* “You Gotta Move (Live)”
* “Under My Thumb (Live)”
* “I’m Free (Live)”
* “(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction (Live)”

Downloadable Content – September 10

Street Sweeper Social Club Track Pack

* “100 Little Curses”
* “Fight! Smash! Win!”
* “Somewhere in the World It's Midnight”

Downloadable Content – September 17

AFI Track Pack

* “Beautiful Thieves” (Ed. Note: From their new album, can't find it online)
* “Girl’s Not Grey”
* “The Missing Frame”

Downloadable Content – September 24

* Editors - “Munich”
* The Faint - “Geeks Were Right”
* Yeah Yeah Yeahs - “Dull Life”

Uh, yay?

Definitely yay. Nice to have an AFI pack, and The Faint and Yeah Yeah Yeahs are awesome. Rolling Stones will be fun too.

ZeoVGM

Banned
My only real gripe with Guitar Hero 5 is that the track list is a bit too broad. It seems like the goal was to include a bit of everything, but all that really does is ensure that nobody will like everything on the disc.

From the IGN review. Quite possibly one of the dumbest things I've ever read on that site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom