• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official All-Encompassing Guitar Hero SUPER THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.

birdman

Archie said:
Do you still have to be pitch perfect to get credit?

Not as much anymore. They seemed to have loosened it. I was playing on Expert and doing almost as good as I normally do in Rock Band 2. It's still a little stingy, but nothing to piss you off when singing like in previous installments.

Baker

Banned
Wow the talkie parts have an awful GUI. I had no idea that's what they were until I played Bring the noise. There's nothing differentiating them except they're a bit thicker (height wise) than the normal lines.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Eh, hopefully VH isn't in a cardboard sleeve, but whatever.

I'll definitely be picking this up by the end of the month, but my money will obviously be going towards Beatles: Rock Band first.

We should have GH5 set up at the store tomorrow though, so I'll try it out.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
K Finished every song. 1 3-star, Scatterbrain, and 1 4-star, Done With Everything, Die For NOthing. I don't feel like doing 21st Century Schizoid Man again but I bet that'll be either a high 4-star or a low 5.

OMG I just screwed myself. I remember reading you could delete individual tracks after dling the imports. Looks like you can't but what I did was see that I had 2.2 gigs for GH5. So I'm thinking I don't need all those extra WT dls. So I delete all of it only to find it's not available to play in GH5. I got to re-dl a LOT of stuff now :(

Baker

Banned
robut said:
OMG I just screwed myself. I remember reading you could delete individual tracks after dling the imports. Looks like you can't but what I did was see that I had 2.2 gigs for GH5. So I'm thinking I don't need all those extra WT dls. So I delete all of it only to find it's not available to play in GH5. I got to re-dl a LOT of stuff now :(
You just need to d/l the GHWT import file again and you should be fine.

And yeah, I swore I read earlier you could delete individual songs but I checked their FAQ today and it was bullshit.

NameGenerated

rofl I got Diamond on the Maiden, Mother & Crone challenge after the final line finished, keep 4x for a long time. :lol

Tiduz

Eurogaime
is the van halen thing USA only?

if so that fucking sucks. i preordered a while ago and even paid it off, gimme my free gh Activison :eek:

Grecco

Tiduz said:
is the van halen thing USA only?

if so that fucking sucks. i preordered a while ago and even paid it off, gimme my free gh Activison :eek:

You can get someone in the US to redeem the VH and send it to you

Baker said:
You just need to d/l the GHWT import file again and you should be fine.

And yeah, I swore I read earlier you could delete individual songs but I checked their FAQ today and it was bullshit.

Wish I had read that earlier, because HOLY SHIT I could've really ripped myself off. So I go into the GH5 store and see checkmarks next to stuff I've dled. I go to track packs first. Then I go to individual songs and I see check marks next to ones that were included in packs. Oh, I think, I'll just delete the packs and dl the songs I want from them. So I start with the Eagles pack (I don't want the new song) and get to the second song when it tells me I don't have enough money. I'm really lucky I was so close to having no Allards because I'm really tired right now and very well could've wasted a lot of money. It's my fault for not noticing but it's a VERY LAME thing for Activision to do.

Baker

Banned
I'll give $5 to whoever plays Disconnected with me in the next two minutes (before I pass out) and gets at least a Platinum on guitar. I said it last night but I cannot fucking alt strum forever in these stupid ass plastic games.

BTW fucking twice tonight I've thought it was Friday and just ugh...

Edit: Add American Girl to that list too. I'm going to bed before I fucking throw this guitar threw my goddamn tv.

btw re-dling the WT dlc didn't do it for me. I guess that dl is just to reconfigure the WT dlc for GH5, it doesn't dl songs you've erased.

random aside, Hypersphere is the best venue ever. I was really let-down when it turned out only a handfull of songs in RB2 could use the awesome videoshoot level.

Of course I'm sure The Beatles venues will trump everything when it's out...

Xevren

Baker said:
I'll give $5 to whoever plays Disconnected with me in the next two minutes (before I pass out) and gets at least a Platinum on guitar. I said it last night but I cannot fucking alt strum forever in these stupid ass plastic games.

BTW fucking twice tonight I've thought it was Friday and just ugh...

Edit: Add American Girl to that list too. I'm going to bed before I fucking throw this guitar threw my goddamn tv.

I can help you with those if you want some time, just send me a message if you see me on live.

The more I play this game the more I seriously fucking hate it. It's all because of the engine, they made hammer on's extremely tight in this game, even tighter than a normal strum. I do better just strumming everything because half the time I won't hit a HO/PO. If I want to play a game with a tight engine I'll just go back to RB 2 at least I don't have to fucking worry about calibrating my shit.

DuckRacer

Xevren said:
I can help you with those if you want some time, just send me a message if you see me on live.

The more I play this game the more I seriously fucking hate it. It's all because of the engine, they made hammer on's extremely tight in this game, even tighter than a normal strum. I do better just strumming everything because half the time I won't hit a HO/PO. If I want to play a game with a tight engine I'll just go back to RB 2 at least I don't have to fucking worry about calibrating my shit.
GH5 still seems pretty loose to me. Not as much as GHM or other previous GH games, but in comparison to RB I can still flail around and hit notes. I wouldn't have passed Scatterbrain on my first full attempt in RB2, that's for sure.

One of the worst things about GH5 (probably second only to its setlist) has to be the interface for drummers. Shiny, animated normal notes + spinning "hit harder" notes + spinning star power notes + flaming notes (what a terrible effect) + star power bass kick bars with moving flashing lights + the entire fretboard turning bright blue when SP is activated = disaster. I was playing with Dave earlier and I had more trouble with the game itself than the song. wtf.

Is it possible to save a setlist for party mode? I know you can load premade lists but can't figure out how to save one.

As for the looseness of the engine, it's something that makes me prefer WT over GH5. While I like a challenge, having fun means more to me so making notes harder to hit just make me more disconcerted instead of allowing me to enjoy myself.

The HOPOs don't feel that different to WT on my side. Perhaps a little tighter, but nothing crazy. I had to calibrate a ton to get to this though.

sneaky77

rockband is better cause the timing window is stricter.... now GH tightens theirs a little.. which is still not as tight as RB and def not as bad as some people are making it out to be.. and now is too tight and people prefer it looser? seriously people make up your minds..

from what I played I haven't had issues with anything related to the timing window for HOPOs or strums or anything

Cahill

Banned
NameGenerated said:
The hopos in this game are really weird. It's like they are way tighter, but still not good.... I dunno. I feel like I'm messing up parts I know I am hitting.

It's not you. Game feels fucked up to me. Even sent Xevren a message last night saying the calibration sucks. I'm missing the easiest of crap at times and it's annoying. I ended up just shutting it off after half an hour last night. Still early in the setlist and I've hated every song so far too. I used to prefer GH over RB but not feeling it after WT and this. Looks nice though.

Porkepik

Well I still find the game loose, I'm not good as most of you guys and play guitar mostly on hard, I was able to do DYFLWD yesterday on my first try so it should still be more loose than RB2. Still I cannot do the Children of bodom song (on hard). I find it a lot easier to play 1 note at a time(or even hopo) than chords, my fingers refuse to move right when they are changing too fast.

Oh and I had a lot of fun playing the 13 minutes of DYFLWD.

On another note , why did the PS3 get the shaft for the GH:SH pack, apparently it won't be live till the 11th grrrrr

i think, and cannot confirm at work, that all you can do with tracks you don't like is edit the list of party play songs.

i'm sure i read that somewhere and that sounds a lot more plausible than ala carte removal. i full intend to try and figure this out though cause I HATE THE POLICE.

is the SH selection up on 360 then? i will have to download that when i get in.

bryehn

How do I register for the VH offer? I'm in Canada, did we get screwed?

EDIT: Nevermind. We totally got screwed.

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
Finally picked up my copy this morning.

Now I have to wait for the disc imports to download.

And how convoluted is the Van Halen offer? I enter the info on the site, so that I can go send it off via mail. Awesome.

robut said:
Is it possible to save a setlist for party mode? I know you can load premade lists but can't figure out how to save one.

You need to do it in Quickplay. It's dumb. In Party Play, you don't seem to be able to build a playlist.

botticus

I had completely ignored this game until I happened to look at latest releases on GameRankings, and saw a surprisingly high score. The IGN review for the Wii version was pretty well glowing (party mode sounds awesome), but holy shit, why is Activision competing with Rock Band Beatles on pricing?

At this rate I'll just have to continue holding out for a dirt cheap band bundle from either series and grab the game once it's had a price drop or two down to reasonable levels.

Baker

Banned
botticus said:
At this rate I'll just have to continue holding out for a dirt cheap band bundle from either series and grab the game once it's had a price drop or two down to reasonable levels.
Both the WT and RB2 full bundles are down to $99. I really doubt they'll go lower than that until stores get super desperate to eliminate inventory in the future.

How do you whammy? I have to have the whammy pointing away from my guitar, and I use my little finger to waggle it. Hurts like hell to do it for a whole song.

Baker

Banned
TheGreatDave said:
How do you whammy? I have to have the whammy pointing away from my guitar, and I use my little finger to waggle it. Hurts like hell to do it for a whole song.
I take my hand off the strum bar and jiggle the fuck out of the whammy with four fingers.

I'm assuming that's the wrong way because I can't even Gold those challenges.

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
I just played my first whammy challenge. Granted, it was Hurts So Good, but I was pretty close to 3 extra stars. And I'm playing left-handed.

GCQuinton

birdman said:
Not as much anymore. They seemed to have loosened it. I was playing on Expert and doing almost as good as I normally do in Rock Band 2. It's still a little stingy, but nothing to piss you off when singing like in previous installments.

Yeah, it definitely feels that way and IMO it's better for it since it's actually enjoyable now. I've already FC'ed a few songs (one being The Unforgiven III...I've played the same Death Magnetic DLC across four GH games now) and looking forward to the others.

bryehn

Rodeo Clown said:
I just played my first whammy challenge. Granted, it was Hurts So Good, but I was pretty close to 3 extra stars. And I'm playing left-handed.

In My Place is a pain in the ass to whammy left-handed.

birdman

TheGreatDave said:

The leaderboards work a different way now though. The higher difficulties get precedence over lower difficulties with a much higher score. My score for Spirit of Radio was lower than a ton of people, but it was 1 of only 4 expert scores put up.

NameGenerated

TheGreatDave said:
How does being left handed make it harder?
You have to move your hand farther away from the strummer than a right handed person. At least that's how I feel about it.

NameGenerated

Sweating BULLETS!!!!!!!

Fuck band moments on top of HOPOs, it's impossible to tell them apart.

Gotta go, nice double FC though :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom