• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Bionic Commando Thread

sonicmj1

shagg_187 said:
Wow... can you elaborate a little? :lol

Heavy plot spoilers below:

For the first bit...
At the end of the game, Super Joe (who betrays the government to side with the terrorists for no particular reason) tells you that your wife was somehow used for your bionic arm, because they needed to use people to get bionics to work properly, and the people needed to be close to the person using the bionic prosthetic. In the final boss fight QTE, she wakes you up so you can deliver the finishing blow instead of being crushed to death. Nathan is at peace, because his wife is always by his side.

The second bit...
When you are having an argument with a bionic, Mag, who used to be a colleague of yours, and things get a little... heated, someone mysteriously snipes the gun out of her hand. The government handlers deny involvement. Then, after you are officially betrayed, and you and Mag are left to finish things alone, the sniper shows up again, says that he works for some mysterious third party, but your interests align, and that you should go stop the bad guys. The sniper leaves with Mag, and although she shows up in the end, he's never seen again.

The plot is dumb.

Xater

Well I caved in and bought it after all. I have to say I enjoy it way more than most of the reviews would suggest. The only real gripes I have with the game is how the collectibles work (WTF were they thinking?), the relatively small level parts which result in alot of load times and checkpoint system. The swinging mechanic though is really fun when you get the hang of it.

I also played a 3 matches online and despite the standard modes that ar available it's prtty fun because of the unique swinging mechanic.

Teknoman

About the sniper
, I havent beaten the game yet since I have to finish some business in Rearmed, but im sure that its a sequel set up.

Think how Gears of War 1 had a character you never really knew until the second game. Or even Wesker's first reveal in RE1.

EDIT: Everyone needs to play this game as "true" Rad spencer.

Phthisis

chun li's thighs said:
I was waiting for Spencer to just scream out "
ARM-ILY.....NNNNOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!
"

:lol

Teknoman said:
About the sniper, I havent beaten the game yet since I have to finish some business in Rearmed, but im sure that its a sequel set up.

Think how Gears of War 1 had a character you never really knew until the second game. Or even Wesker's first reveal in RE1

The problem is the game gives the player no reason to care about a sequel dealing with that character because that character is never developed.

IMO, they should have kept the storyline leaning closer to ReArmed's story style.

the post-apocolyptical, gritty and
distrustful
style of story was probably not the best corse of action when they could of gotten away with more stuff with ReArmed's campy style

I liked the game yah, but I wonder how it would have been if it was a imperials again vs the FSA

Xater

gutter_trash said:
IMO, they should have kept the storyline leaning closer to ReArmed's story style.

the post-apocolyptical, gritty and
distrustful
style of story was probably not the best corse of action when they could of gotten away with more stuff with ReArmed's campy style

I liked the game yah, but I wonder how it would have been if it was a imperials again vs the FSA

Grin needs to learn alot about how to tell a story and I agree that a more campy version of the story would have worked better. These guys are not Kojima.

One thing they definately got down though is the music. Rearmed was great and this title has amazing music as well. Hope they release the soundtrack.

Whew, ban over! Right, first order of business: Do not start this game until you have finished ReArmed and unlocked the Retro costume. Do not do it. Finish that shit, and as soon as you boot up this, go to Options and Extra's and toggle the Retro Outfit on. I am very impressed that its in all the cutscenes as well. Thats precisely what I wanted.

eki51t.jpg

ra7zeo.jpg

10n6xwl.jpg

21ssip.jpg

I think the game is pretty fucking gorgeous, its quite clear they've perfectly matched the colourful concept art and after playing a series of 'Greys and Browns only, sir!', its a breath of fresh air.

Of course talking of air, while I am enjoying the game, the Radiation concept is stupid stupid stupid. Rather than have invisible areas of radiation, they should have simply walled off areas you weren't meant to get past with 'irradiated yet harmless unclimbable walls', and the rest with just vast stretches of ocean. Its a pretty critical design flaw for the whole game. The most enjoyable areas so far have been the caves with no radiation and just grapple heaven to swing through, and big expansive walled in skirmish areas.

I've only played one MP match so far, and while interesting, the interface before it felt incredible bare-bones. Just match-making, no server lists, no customiseable character, no stats. Just seems like a beta still, and something to sling into the package to prevent that trade in.

Negativity aside, I'm enjoying it! And remember, do not play this game as some dreadlocked surfer fuck. Duke dat shit, yo.

NIN90

You don't need to finish BC:R to unlock the classic spencer skin.

And there's a blue indicator on the crosshair that tells you when to release the grapple for maximum speed.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
SecretBonusPoint said:
Whew, ban over! Right, first order of business: Do not start this game until you have finished ReArmed and unlocked the Retro costume. Do not do it. Finish that shit, and as soon as you boot up this, go to Options and Extra's and toggle the Retro Outfit on. I am very impressed that its in all the cutscenes as well. Thats precisely what I wanted.

Yeah man, I poopsocked BC:R a couple of weeks back to get all the unlockables and starting with the real Rad was pretty... rad. Sitting in his cell with his 80's glasses on kinda makes more sense than sitting with dreads and a well-designed new vest (which is almost as stupid as marcus phoenix in his cell in full armor in Gears 1), and it gives the game a tongue-in-cheek feel that undercuts some of the more gritty-for-a-12-year-old story elements.

The game is super fun though. The fights with the flying bastards are brilliant fun, and last night before bed I got to a bit with loads of mecha wasps or something, and they were so much fun to fight, I was having a blast. So far this seems to be an excellent B-movie of a game. Not changing the world but dumb fun nonetheless. Bring on the summer of fun B-level games!

EDIT: Speaking of unlockables, does anyone know what the prototype weapon is? I unlocked it at the start of BC but have no idea what it is. I found the purple matrix door, which was a little bit cool, but what is the weapon?

eso76

i don't know ,the plot was a mess i really didn't follow but the fact
emily is actually your arm provided some shock and was delivered rather well. What's with super joe though ?
Loved the game's core mechanics anyway, and i hope we're getting sequels.
not being able to start over with all abilities and stuff you unlocked is dumb though, or did i do something wrong ?

Nemesis_

SecretBonusPoint said:
Replaces your pop pop pop with some pew pew pew. Handgun becomes hand laser gun. I didnt switch it on.
It's got a little more firepower too, while not being too game breaking.

Xater

eso76 said:
not being able to start over with all abilities and stuff you unlocked is dumb though, or did i do something wrong ?

Nope, nothing carries over. Another thing that really sucks. Why didn't they take a cue from other Capcom games like Resident Evil?

Really makes me hope they will get a chance to do a sequel.

Teknoman

Yeah, i'd want Grin to do the sequel. Hopefully a patch will come along shortly that takes care of carrying over features.

Or even a whole set of challenge rooms or something.

eshwaaz

I beat the game last night, and my overall experience was mixed - mostly good, but it's brought down by a bunch of unfortunate and confusing design choices.

On one hand, there were many aspects I enjoyed a lot - the swinging mechanic was pulled off amazingly well, and combat with the larger enemies was entertaining and rewarding (though aggravating until you discovered the "trick" to beating each one). Even fighting groups of human enemies was fun in its own way when you were powerful enough to dominate them (nothing like the overkill of hurling an entire car to kill a single guy).

Unfortunately, the flaws mentioned by many here already - stingy checkpoints, unnecessarily punishing radiation areas, long load times, terrible, baffling handling of collectibles, along with the most pointless level select of all time - mar the experience.

Some reviews have still been too harsh (a 6.0 is too low), but there are too many issues to warrant anything above a 7.5 for me. It's a real shame, because so many off the essential pieces are in place for a genuinely great game. I want to play more, but the awful level select parameters and lack of a New Game+ make it pointless to do anything but start over from scratch and lose all of my upgrades.

No, thanks.

Teknoman

Those complaining of long load times, do you have it installed? Just wondering, because I havent tested it without install...but with it, the load times seem shorter than your average game.

Either that, or the normal load times seem long compared to the games we have these days that dont really have visible load times at all.

Xater

BTW am I the only one who did not have a problem with the radiation ares? I think I died once from them in the whole game. :lol

Nemesis_

I'm having some issues with the challenge "Bulldog's Eye". No matter how hard I try, the game never seems to think I'm far away from the enemy enough to complete the challenge.

I hear one of the Port levels has a high up suspension bridge that is perfect for the challenge: is this Port III? Simply because I havent noticed anything like that in Port I or Port II.

Similarly, do we ever get to use the Tarantula again? I need to complete Air to Surface =(

randomwab

Nemesis556 said:
Similarly, do we ever get to use the Tarantula again? I need to complete Air to Surface =(

You do, I think you'll get one soon in Port 2. I was able to get Air to Surface at that point.

Xater said:
BTW am I the only one who did not have a problem with the radiation ares? I think I died once from them in the whole game. :lol

I guess it depends on what game you played before...

I re-played some Crackdown, so I had some problems

schick85

I wish they could have been more original with the cutscenes.
'cause this game reeks of
Metal Gear Solid
and
Advent Children

Haunted

You guys know how hyped I've been for this - played the first couple levels and I must say that this is probably my disappointment of the year so far along with Puzzle Quest Galactrix.

Just expected so much more from GRIN and Capcom. :/

Teknoman

Well Rearmed didnt really shine until past the first few areas. I say stick with it abit if you were looking forward to it in the least bit.

Btw what does the purple matrix do?
went into the room, I can hear the 8-bit theme and see some models...and what looks like a radio. Not sure if thats what I was supposed to find, but it flashes periodically

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Teknoman said:
Well Rearmed didnt really shine until past the first few areas. I say stick with it abit if you were looking forward to it in the least bit.

Btw what does the purple matrix do?
went into the room, I can hear the 8-bit theme and see some models...and what looks like a radio. Not sure if thats what I was supposed to find, but it flashes periodically

Rearmed shined from the very second you turned it on. I'm about half way through this one now and it still isn't shining. It's not bad by any stretch, but it certainly isn't blowing my skirt up either.

Xater

Haunted said:
You guys know how hyped I've been for this - played the first couple levels and I must say that this is probably my disappointment of the year so far along with Puzzle Quest Galactrix.

Just expected so much more from GRIN and Capcom. :/

I have to say I didn't like it from the beginning either. For me it really clicked like maybe a third through (or a bit less) through the game.

Haunted

Xater said:
I have to say I didn't like it from the beginning either. For me it really clicked like maybe a third through (or a bit less) through the game.
Teknoman said:
I only played the first couple levels of the PS3 version a friend of mine rented.

I think I'll still pick the game up when it hits the PC in July, maybe wait a bit for a pricedrop or somesuch (whereas it was a day 1 before).

dk_

Haunted said:
I only played the first couple levels of the PS3 version a friend of mine rented.

I think I'll still pick the game up when it hits the PC in July, maybe wait a bit for a pricedrop or somesuch (whereas it was a day 1 before).
Try the caves!

More disappointment incoming!

K' Dash

Xater said:

I began to like the game at the "Fissure" Level, before that I was "this close" to send it back.

Teknoman

Sinatar said:
Rearmed shined from the very second you turned it on. I'm about half way through this one now and it still isn't shining. It's not bad by any stretch, but it certainly isn't blowing my skirt up either.

Hmm, for me, it wasnt until I reached the Construction area. Thats when everything sorta clicked. Here, everything sorta clicked at the first shield mech encounter. Lots of fun at the first boss atm.

sonicmj1

Nemesis556 said:
I'm having some issues with the challenge "Bulldog's Eye". No matter how hard I try, the game never seems to think I'm far away from the enemy enough to complete the challenge.

I hear one of the Port levels has a high up suspension bridge that is perfect for the challenge: is this Port III? Simply because I havent noticed anything like that in Port I or Port II.

I got it in the Port area where the first AA gun is. After you disable the gun and hack the transmitter, you can go to the back of the building on the high ledge and try and hit two of the paratroopers who drop down by the point where you enter and exit the level. If you blow the opportunity, you can reload the save, and since the transmitter was hacked just before, you won't have far to backtrack. If you hit two and it doesn't trigger, you aren't far enough away.

It's an annoying challenge, because it's tough to do and you get very, very few opportunities to do it.

as I played through this game I kept getting a strong sense of deju vu, or uncanny familiarity, when using some of the swinging mechanics.

I finally realized what it was. it's worms. ninja rope. it's like doing it in 3d.

Teknoman

Oh and for those who still havent beaten Rearmed...go for it. The Albatross is the ultimate test of...everything :lol

I finally went through the last sections to unlock all the extra stuff for Bionic Commando. Falling floors...wow. Was up all last night and then just left the system on...continued this morning and beat it.

Actually hope the last area in the sequel is as insane :D

panda21

i really hope they patch this to make it more replayable, its the kind of thing i could imagine playing through again to unlock stuff

for the sequel they should try and make a bionic metroidmando game

Teknoman

panda21 said:
i really hope they patch this to make it more replayable, its the kind of thing i could imagine playing through again to unlock stuff

for the sequel they should try and make a bionic metroidmando game

Yeah. Dont really care about the collectibles, but retaining the completed challenges is a must.

ruxtpin

Banned
Has Capcom/Grin announced a patch yet? I'm picking up inFamous this week and have been considering this one as well, but the talk about losing all progress with challenges and not carrying over progress from a previous game is turning me off.

How do you do the Adrenaline Finisher on Biomechs? I always seem to just end up doing the whip :/

Also these Garden levels have been massively more enjoyable than the games city opening levels. Glad to see the game hitting it's stride!

"Thats the second biggest crab I've ever seen..."

What was the first? :lol

robot

SecretBonusPoint said:
How do you do the Adrenaline Finisher on Biomechs? I always seem to just end up doing the whip :/

Also these Garden levels have been massively more enjoyable than the games city opening levels. Glad to see the game hitting it's stride!

"Thats the second biggest crab I've ever seen..."

What was the first? :lol

:lol i thought he said crap

eshwaaz

SecretBonusPoint said:

I believe you have to have a full adrenaline meter. Latch onto the Biomech's back, then press Y and B (triangle and circle) at the same time. He'll reel in, then do the finisher. At least, this is how I've been doing it.

Aaron

EXGN said:
Kinda OT, did they ever add trophies to the PS3 version of ReArmed?
Nope. Work on that was canceled to make sure to finish Bionic Commando. I wish they had canceled something else to actually finish it. Still pretty rough around the edges.

Nemesis_

sonicmj1 said:
I got it in the Port area where the first AA gun is. After you disable the gun and hack the transmitter, you can go to the back of the building on the high ledge and try and hit two of the paratroopers who drop down by the point where you enter and exit the level. If you blow the opportunity, you can reload the save, and since the transmitter was hacked just before, you won't have far to backtrack. If you hit two and it doesn't trigger, you aren't far enough away. .

I tried doing this but it didn't work. People said you can do it on the suspension bridge in Port III, but I just can't do it.

This is the only challenge I have left =( Are there some missions in Act 3 that are easier to pull it off in?

Haeleos

Wow, I thought RE5 was going to have the worst story in a game this year. It's telling that I bought into the psuedo-nazi robot army abusrdity of ReArmed, but this... ugh. So bad.

Nemesis_

dvswva.jpg

:D :D :D

Really happy with the game, will definitely keep it for another playthrough at some point in the near future.

Final boss battle really sucked though =(

BeeDog

Nemesis556 said:
http://i41.tinypic.com/dvswva.jpg

:D :D :D

Really happy with the game, will definitely keep it for another playthrough at some point in the near future.

Final boss battle really sucked though =(

How hard was it to get all achievements?

Top Bottom